Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Joe Gomez (ed. ongoing progress)

Comments

• Options
    Apparently Joe Gomez is captain for tonight's match at Toulouse. There's not been many charlton players to have done that. Hopefully adds another 20million to his selling price 😅
  • Options
    Good on (and for) Joe. Has had a good start but am awful mistake from Tsimikas, to give a goal away.
  • Options
    Getting pelters on twitter
  • Options
    Average Premier league defender 
  • Options
    CafcWest said:
    Captain tonight (Thursday 9th Nov) away at Toulouse in Europe.  Hope he does well.
    Klopp didnt have much to lose making Joe captain for the evening
  • Options
    After having a decent first half, he got moved to LB at half time as Tsimikas was having a stinker. Shame as he's covering 3 positions.
  • Options
    Thought he had a good game.
  • Options
    He's getting that pace, zip and confidence back.

I wish we did not have to endure the same boring stat about Joe not having scored in a league game, by the same commentators, every single week.

I'd far prefer to celebrate his return from some career ending injuries.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    mendonca said:

I wish we did not have to endure the same boring stat about Joe not having scored in a league game, by the same commentators, every single week.

To be fair, they only ever bring it up when he gets close to scoring and it's not quite so easy to introduce "career ending injuries" into any commentary. For the record, it's not the fact that he's never scored in a League game - he's never found the back of the net in the whole of his professional career but, to a degree, that is because he is usually one of, if not the only man back on the half way line, for set pieces. As I say, it's great to see him playing with a bit of confidence again. 
  • Options
    mendonca said:

To be fair, they only ever bring it up when he gets close to scoring and it's not quite so easy to introduce "career ending injuries" into any commentary. For the record, it's not the fact that he's never scored in a League game - he's never found the back of the net in the whole of his professional career but, to a degree, that is because he is usually one of, if not the only man back on the half way line, for set pieces. As I say, it's great to see him playing with a bit of confidence again. 
    It's actually mentioned quite often, even when he's in the attacking half and putting a cross in. It was mentioned about 3 times in yesterday's game. I'd say commentators are "clever" enough to run with whatever narrative they fancy. Neville seems able to reference the Glazers whenever Manure forget to turn up to a game, or miss a penalty, or let 4 goals in. But I get your point. 
  • Options
    I think it’s a real shame that he’s stayed at Liverpool. He needs to play every week - a move to Villa or Newcastle would reinvigorate his career, he’d be a mainstay for England. I like Konsa ( obviously) but the fact he has overtaken Gomez in the England set up tells you all you need to know. 
  • Options
    I think it’s a real shame that he’s stayed at Liverpool. He needs to play every week - a move to Villa or Newcastle would reinvigorate his career, he’d be a mainstay for England. I like Konsa ( obviously) but the fact he has overtaken Gomez in the England set up tells you all you need to know. 
    he’s been playing a lot more this season. I can actually envisage a scenario where he’s the first choice RB by the end of the season 
  • Options
    Did Joe ever score a goal at academy level ? 
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    Has anyone else noticed that Carragher never fails to dig out Joe at least once in every game……he just can’t help himself.
    I think he doesn’t fancy Joe…..even (like yesterday) when he’s having a blinder.
  • Options
    Their longest serving player atm and not a homegrown defender, so it hurts him!
  • Options
    Has anyone else noticed that Carragher never fails to dig out Joe at least once in every game……he just can’t help himself.
    I think he doesn’t fancy Joe…..even (like yesterday) when he’s having a blinder.
    He is liked by Klopp and Van Dijk. May find it hard to gain a regular spot especially with the emergence of Quansah. However his versatility will be important for Liverpool and there is a fair chance he will add to his list of medals. Probably won more medals already than other Charlton player in history excluding those joining in the evening of their career (Simonsen, Barnes, Hasselbank come to mind)
  • Options
    Every single time. He could have done something amazing and doesn’t get a mention, as soon as he might misplace a pass ever so slightly, Carragher is onto him. I don’t get it. Gomez has been excellent recently, but you won’t hear a single bit of praise for him.
  • Options
    His praise seems mixed and inconsistent. I do remember that most times Joe has been given MOM by Sky, Graville has decided it.

https://www.google.com/search?ie=UTF-8&client=ms-android-tef-gb-rvc2&source=android-browser&q=carragher+praises+joe+gomez
  • Options
    Sage said:
    Every single time. He could have done something amazing and doesn’t get a mention, as soon as he might misplace a pass ever so slightly, Carragher is onto him. I don’t get it. Gomez has been excellent recently, but you won’t hear a single bit of praise for him.
    @Sage. I think the fact that Joe is Liverpool's current longest serving squad member, with the most caps is hurting Carra's fragile 'local lad' confidence/ego.