Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Joe Gomez (ed. ongoing progress)

Comments

• Options
    Swisdom said:
    Joe just gets on with his job, doesn't moan about it and just plays when and where asked to play.  The consummate professional.  Carragher is just jealous someone who isn't a scouser is so popular up there.  And has won more trophies than he ever did / will
    He's also suffered from never being able to hold down a place in what is his best position by virtue of the injuries he's suffered and subsequent loss of confidence.

Ironically, it is the versatility and ability to play anywhere across the back four you refer to that makes him so valuable to Liverpool, in the same way as it was with Millner, but he ends up being perceived by some as the "master of none". That shouldn't be the case but there's no way I would say that he's a better left back than a fit and firing Robertson, for example. He does deserve the opportunity to become VVD's partner but that isn't going to happen all the time Konate is doing the job and Joe is needed to fill in where necessary. Equally, there have been occasions recently where TAA has been pushed into midfield and Joe is the ideal player to slot in at RB whereas Konate couldn't do that job. 
  • Options
    CB spots really up for grabs with England, especially if Stones can’t stay fit. 
  • Options
    He has been getting more games this season and injury free. Looking more consistent with each game.

• Options
    Gomez is very underrated by both Liverpool fans and the wider footballing world. Was pivotal when they won the league in 19/20 and is having another fantastic season which sees them targeting a quadruple in February.

Did he ever get back into the England camp after the bust up with Sterling? Wonder if Southgate will still hold that against him. He's a great option consider how versatile is and how our LB position is weak considering injuries to Shaw and Chilwell this season
  • Options
    follett said:
    Gomez is very underrated by both Liverpool fans and the wider footballing world. Was pivotal when they won the league in 19/20 and is having another fantastic season which sees them targeting a quadruple in February.

Did he ever get back into the England camp after the bust up with Sterling? Wonder if Southgate will still hold that against him. He's a great option consider how versatile is and how our LB position is weak considering injuries to Shaw and Chilwell this season
    Forgot about that incident with Sterling - It happened in 2019, and he last played for England in 2020, playing three times that year.
  • Options
    mendonca said:
    Klopp called him a lifesaver yesterday. Joe has stepped up at a time their title race could have crumbled. The Manager, Coaching staff and fans all acknowledge the quality and application shown. 

I've been impressed with his ability to move into midfield effortlessly. But they key for me was, him getting full confidence in his own body again.
    That is why 18 months ago, following a season that didn't go so well because of injuries, Liverpool gave him a new five year contract

There were quite a few Liverpool fans moaning about him back then, glad that Klopp stuck by him.
  • Options
     Barring further injury I think Southgate would be mad to exclude Gomez. He's extremely versatile across the back line and I wouldn't mind betting he'd do well as a defensive midfielder.
  • Options
     Barring further injury I think Southgate would be mad to exclude Gomez. He's extremely versatile across the back line and I wouldn't mind betting he'd do well as a defensive midfielder.
    Unfortunately Southgate can often be mad in his pickings. Expect to see Guehi in the squad rather than the inform Konsa and Gomez
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    Joe Gomez should change his name to Jordan Henderson. He’d start every game for England then. 
  • Options
    When Liverpool last won the PL he was a mainstay. The next season he plays a lot of games they are top again and in all competitions.
    Coincidence? 
  • Options
    Great to see he has got his confidence back and is back to his best. He did have a spell of a few torrid games early last season but this season has been excellent. So much so it is probably questionable where his best position actually is now. 
  • Options
    mendonca said:
    He's ruptured his ACL on International duty, been victim of a scrap by Sterling, was boo'd by the fans with a very low IQ in that game, was dropped and never recalled. 

Poor treatment but Joe cracks on with it. Many players would run for headlines about it's affect on their mental health. Partly why I'm very very bored of the whole narrative of him not having scored a goal in xxx games. Things like that start light heartedly but it has the potential to become a meme and unnecessary.
    I was at the Montenegro game that directly followed that incident. He was jeered when he came on but, despite the fact that we were coasting to victory, he looked and played as if he were nervous as a kitten. The irony is that it is Sterling who is now somewhat "in the wilderness" too given that he hasn't played for England since the World Cup. 
  • Options
    Will be interesting to see what happens when TAA and Robertson are fit. I think he might move to RB and TAA into midfield but Liverpools squad is stacked with midfielders. I just hope Gomez doesn’t get stuck on the bench 
  • Options
    mendonca said:
    He's ruptured his ACL on International duty, been victim of a scrap by Sterling, was boo'd by the fans with a very low IQ in that game, was dropped and never recalled. 

Poor treatment but Joe cracks on with it. Many players would run for headlines about it's affect on their mental health. Partly why I'm very very bored of the whole narrative of him not having scored a goal in xxx games. Things like that start light heartedly but it has the potential to become a meme and unnecessary.
    I was at the Montenegro game that directly followed that incident. He was jeered when he came on but, despite the fact that we were coasting to victory, he looked and played as if he were nervous as a kitten. The irony is that it is Sterling who is now somewhat "in the wilderness" too given that he hasn't played for England since the World Cup. 
    I believe Sterling asked not to be included for a period so that he could regain full fitness. Sounds like he wants back in now though. 
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    Being brutally honest I don’t think he’s quite good enough to be playing in this current Liverpool team. I suspect he’s in danger of being sold when the new manager comes in. Good news for us I suppose. 
  • Options
    21st Century John Hewie or Steve Gritt.
  • Options
    Being brutally honest I don’t think he’s quite good enough to be playing in this current Liverpool team. I suspect he’s in danger of being sold when the new manager comes in. Good news for us I suppose. 
    Totally cobblers that he's not good enough. He might not be in the first choice team when everybody is fit but is an extremely valuable member of their squad. A side fighting for trophies on 4 fronts needs a big squad with injuries and rotation. And this isn;t any side, Liverpool have already won 1 trophy, in the last 8  of the other 2 cups and have only lost twice in the league this season. Only Gakpo has appeared in more games this season!
  • Options
    If Gomez was sold or an offer came in, I think he will only go down a notch, to Villa, or Newcastle, maybe Tottenham or Chelsea.
    That would mean a fee of which we are due (I think) 25%.
    Correct me if I'm wrong.
    So what would a Gomez transfer fee be if he were to move to one of those clubs?
    I say north of 30 million pounds.