Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.

Joe Gomez (ed. ongoing progress)

Comments

• Billy_Mix said:
    it will most likely be a %age of Liverpool's profit rather than the reported fee
    if they eventually paid £3.5m to Charlton and end up selling him on for £35M 
    Charlton's sell on would be based on £31.5M.  The timing of the sell on also dependent on the schedule of the payments to Liverpool.  These fees are often over a few years
    Still a tidy sum but not as high as some begin to imagine nor in one lump sum.

The oft repeated gripe about douchebag or the self serving pricks that succeeded him, arranging to keep any sell on fees for themselves are way wide of the mark.  Much as we have reason to dislike and mistrust that retinue of reprobates, there's no evidence it happened and there's very little practical likelihood it even could.
    Any fee due to CAFC, was only ever payable to CAFC.
    If an owner or director redirected that to himself that's theft.  Any of that on any scale would have showed up when Skintgaard or the new lot did their due diligence.
    Charlton's offices have leaked like sieves throughout and bad news always travels fast.
    To legitimately pay themselves out of the proceeds, the payment would have to be a bonus i.e. taxable wages, which would show up or it could be a dividend on their shares but dividends are only possible of a company is solvent and making money which was never the case.  I'm not saying nobody got overpaid or took the piss on the expenses but that's way different from misdirecting fees receivable.
    Douchebag might have utilised the cashflow to keep his funding exposure to a minimum but that would only be part of the balance of money he ended up losing in his panto football project.  CAFC has been losing money hand over fist for decades, all of which has been funded by whichever optimist has been at the tiller at the time.
    Can we factor a sell on fee? I vaguely recall we may have done that with the D. Bent transfer fee and thus received a high % of the transfer fee upfront from the factor rather than having to wait for all of it over a period of scheduled payments. 
  • Strange one that, both why Palace would sell for 30m and why he would move to Fulham. Maybe he really enjoyed his loan spell there.
    Anderson is 28 and has less than two years left on his contract. He's also one of the highest paid players in the Palace squad so, with the cost of the new stand to consider, perhaps Palace are trying to get what they perceive to be the best price for him now. Anderson isn't going to be moving to Fulham for less money so unless Palace are prepared to offer him an increased contract to match that and take him through to 32, which he probably wants from the perspective of long term security, then it probably suits all sides. Especially if they can get a younger replacement for a smaller transfer fee and less wages. 

It's still a big gamble to sell their best two CBs in Guehi and Anderson but let's hope that it's one that fails miserably!  
    They've been linked with Tomas Araujo, a 22 year old centre back from Benfica. So as you say, younger with cheaper wages and despite what we all think of Palace, their transfer business in recent years has been very good.
  • Centre back is to me a position where experience is more important.

I think back to when we brought in Naby Sarr, who really struggled to adapt  to English football despite being really good on paper. It took him years to settle in.
  • Newcastle would be a good move for him. 
    Rumours swirling that perhaps Newcastle are moving on from spending 70+ for Guehi and going after Gomez for 40-50 instead…

Sounds like Fulham are signing Palace’s other centre back so I’d be shocked if they let Guehi go as well. Opens the door nicely for Newcastle to swoop in for Joe.
    30m for Andersen is a great deal for Fulham in todays market.
    Good deal that. 

I think back to when we brought in Naby Sarr, who really struggled to adapt  to English football despite being really good on paper. It took him years to settle in.
    I don't think it took years for Naby to assimilate. It just took time to realise that forwards could foul him without any comeback by useless EFL refs. One of his later tackles is the best I've ever seen.
  • se9addick said:
    Billy_Mix said:
    it will most likely be a %age of Liverpool's profit rather than the reported fee
    if they eventually paid £3.5m to Charlton and end up selling him on for £35M 
    Charlton's sell on would be based on £31.5M.  The timing of the sell on also dependent on the schedule of the payments to Liverpool.  These fees are often over a few years
    Still a tidy sum but not as high as some begin to imagine nor in one lump sum.

The oft repeated gripe about douchebag or the self serving pricks that succeeded him, arranging to keep any sell on fees for themselves are way wide of the mark.  Much as we have reason to dislike and mistrust that retinue of reprobates, there's no evidence it happened and there's very little practical likelihood it even could.
    Any fee due to CAFC, was only ever payable to CAFC.
    If an owner or director redirected that to himself that's theft.  Any of that on any scale would have showed up when Skintgaard or the new lot did their due diligence.
    Charlton's offices have leaked like sieves throughout and bad news always travels fast.
    To legitimately pay themselves out of the proceeds, the payment would have to be a bonus i.e. taxable wages, which would show up or it could be a dividend on their shares but dividends are only possible of a company is solvent and making money which was never the case.  I'm not saying nobody got overpaid or took the piss on the expenses but that's way different from misdirecting fees receivable.
    Douchebag might have utilised the cashflow to keep his funding exposure to a minimum but that would only be part of the balance of money he ended up losing in his panto football project.  CAFC has been losing money hand over fist for decades, all of which has been funded by whichever optimist has been at the tiller at the time.
    Can we factor a sell on fee? I vaguely recall we may have done that with the D. Bent transfer fee and thus received a high % of the transfer fee upfront from the factor rather than having to wait for all of it over a period of scheduled payments. 
    Potentially any future revenue could be factored at a suitably premium finance rate.
    Whether there's any football rules on that I dunno.  The layers of uncertainty in this example would make factoring unlikely and/or very expensive.
    It's not unheard of for selling clubs to take a discount on deferred fees in order to get more funds in earlier but less overall.  I believe Lee Bowyer's fee from Leeds ended up being money earlier but less in total than the initially quoted amount.

I don't think it took years for Naby to assimilate. It just took time to realise that forwards could foul him without any comeback by useless EFL refs. One of his later tackles is the best I've ever seen.
    Didn’t play much in his first season, second one he was on loan in France. His third and fourth being in L1 was probably a big factor.

He remains the last player to score a competitive goal,against Palace.
  • Newcastle need to forget about Marc Guéhi and slash the cash on Joe Gomez who needs a new challenge and Eddie Howe will get a great character and Professional who can play anywhere across the back and In my opinion is better than they have.

Go North East Joe, you can afford the new coat you will need from the Westerly winds that will hit Whitley bay( lovely deserted sandy beaches !)and Newcastle.
    Chat to Nick Pope 👏🏼
  • edited August 22
    Newcastle need to forget about Marc Guéhi and slash the cash on Joe Gomez who needs a new challenge and Eddie Howe will get a great character and Professional who can play anywhere across the back and In my opinion is better than they have.

Go North East Joe, you can afford the new coat you will need from the Westerly winds that will hit Whitley bay( lovely deserted sandy beaches !)and Newcastle.
    Chat to Nick Pope 👏🏼
    Would Joe and Nick Pope's paths crossed at Charlton or did we sell Joe too early for that?

edit. Obviously they would have shared England squads, just curios if they were together at Charlton.
  • Sponsored links:

• edited August 22
    Kap10 said:
    Newcastle need to forget about Marc Guéhi and slash the cash on Joe Gomez who needs a new challenge and Eddie Howe will get a great character and Professional who can play anywhere across the back and In my opinion is better than they have.

Chat to Nick Pope 👏🏼
    Would Joe and Nick Pope's paths crossed at Charlton or did we sell Joe too early for that?

edit. Obviously they would have shared England squads, just curios if they were together at Charlton.
    They did play together at the beginning of 2014-15 albeit only for a few games because Pope then went out on loan to Bury
  • edited August 22
    Kap10 said:

Chat to Nick Pope 👏🏼

Good question:
    The only season they could've played in the 1st team together was 2014/15 when Joe played 21 games and Nick played 8.

I saw them both play together on the Spanish tour in July 2014 when I took 5 minutes( that long !) to realise Joe was class( just turned 17) and unfortunately Nick at 22 was prone to mistakes. It was looking like Pope might get the 1st team Jersey but he was still raw.

Their time at CAFC overlapped by 4 years but most of that time Joe was in the under 18's ( first played when 14 !) and Nick came to CAFC after his academy days had finished and went into the U21.

• 😳😳😳
  • Knowing our luck he'll go there for a cut price £30m meaning we'll get a smaller sell on % and he'll play for Palace.
  • Hate to say it but think he’d play well there 
  • Scoham said:
    Knowing our luck he'll go there for a cut price £30m meaning we'll get a smaller sell on % and he'll play for Palace.
    Given Gomez's injury record and all the numerous ways we could be shafted on the sell on percentage I'd be happy if the club earned  20% of £30m (minus the original transfer amount). 
  • With his injury record not many will be willing to spend big money on Gomez unfortunately 
  • Sponsored links:

• Noooooo!!!!!
  • Agent Gomez. 
  • Pal@rse?

Fuck off. The lads a Charlton thoroughbred, far to good for that shower of stripey South London wannabe shit.
  • What sort of sell on % are we looking at?
  • What sort of sell on % are we looking at?
    Think it was 10% of profit 
  • Down the years since Joes been at Liverpool, we’ve had more then quite a few summers, where it’s been rumoured that he’s going to leave Liverpool, and we’ll hopefully get a slice of the pie.

The same could be said, about Oasis, getting the band back together, in a comeback tour.

Just wondering if either will actually ever happen?

Both happening this summer, and I guess the countdown to promotion thread will be back open, and flowing again.
  • edited August 27
    I thought it was 20%. Palace makes a lot of sense if they sell Guehi. If they can get Gomez I think they will as it is an opportunity to not lose out much whilst accepting the inevitable. I reckon Newcastle will offer £60-65m and Liverpool will expect £35-40m for Gomez. Maybe a bit more as Palace will be desperate buyers. The deal requires Guehi to happen though.
  • I don’t think the percentage has been confirmed anywhere?
  • Joe Gomez went to Forest Hill school, he is as local to the team founded before the Big Bang and time itself as he is local to Charlton.
    Makes sense in a back to your roots kind of way, but it will be a bitter feeling if he plays for them.