Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.

2nd most spoken languages in London Boroughs (after English)

Comments

• se9addick said:

I was in a Tesco store in Weybridge on bank holiday Monday and my son wanted the loo. So I asked a Tesco assistant on the shop floor where the toilets were, but she snapped back "I don't speak English, sorry" and walked off.
    "Ah, thanks very much" I said and went off to find another 'assistant'. It might be great that so many different languages are spoken here, but I don't think it unreasonable for newcomers settling and working here to speak English.

Are you sure they worked there ? I'd be pretty surprised if a major supermarket would employ someone on the working floor that literally couldn't speak English.
    Only a couple of clues to her being a employee really; like she was wearing a Tesco uniform and was pushing a large trolley of trays in the restaurant area back into the kitchen.
  • Where is the Nepalese community in Greenwich mostly based? As a Greenwich borough resident I really struggle to believe that Nepalese is the second language in the borough.

The people who maintain the borough web site don't seem to be aware of this fact either.

royalgreenwich.gov.uk/info/92/housing_allocations_-_registering_for_a_property/529/search_and_apply_for_a_home/2

https://www.whatdotheyknow.com/request/189038/response/465648/attach/html/3/RFI 06472 attachment.docx.html
  • PL54 said:

Chunes said:

Thanks PL54 for your typically stunning insight into the topic.

What insight have I previously offered into the subject?
    None. That was kind of the joke.
  • They lose their punch when you have to explain them.....
  • edited September 2014
    Probably get a ban knowing how sensitive this forum can be but some of these posts are ridiculous.

It's sad that it's even a possibility that the majority of any London Borough may have English as it's second language. Just isn't acceptable.

I don't have a problem with people speaking in their own language when they visit the country, I have a huge problem with people speaking in their own language when they live here if they can speak English.

• edited September 2014
    Isn't London something like the sixth largest French city? I'm Surprised French isn't featuring more strongly as a second language.

Edited to say the French Consulate reckons there are maybe 300,000 to 400,000 French citizens in London. But it seems there's only one Frenchman in Wigan.....
  • It is acceptable to speak in a way that facilitates decent communication whatever the name of the language.
    English has words from 146 other languages.
    'Tea' is a prime example, and ironic in as much as tea time, and a cup of tea appears to be as 'English' as you can get.
    Two minutes looking on the internet will inform the ignorant as to how many words in our so called 'English' language originate abroad.
    Here is a web page to get the ignorant started and to help them become better informed:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Lists_of_English_words_by_country_or_language_of_origin
  • Sponsored links:

• Probably get a ban knowing how sensitive this forum can be but some of these posts are ridiculous.

It's sad that it's even a possibility that the majority of any London Borough may have English as it's second language. Just isn't acceptable.

I don't have a problem with people speaking in their own language when they visit the country, I have a huge problem with people speaking in their own language when they live here if they can speak English.

So you should only be allowed to live in the country if English is your first language?
  • cafcfan said:

Isn't London something like the sixth largest French city? I'm Surprised French isn't featuring more strongly as a second language.

That's what Boris said, based on the French consulate's figures. But they don't fit with the ONS's figures, which are much lower. If they are believed London woudl be about the 60th biggest French city/town.

The BBC did a programme about it a while ago.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/magazine-26823489
  • Chizz said:

Rizzo said:

Chizz said:

PL54 said:

This was in 2011 - any chance that by now English is the 2nd most spoken language in any London Borough ?

No

Could be heading that way though.
    I'm sure I read in everyone's favourite paper last week, that 57% of London's babies are born to mothers originally from outside the UK.
    Top baby boys name in London in 2013 was Mohammed.

Yes, based on a small sample "survey". But in the UK, Muhammed was the 29th most popular name in the UK in 2013

Oliver
    Jack
    Charlie
    Harry
    Oscar
    Thomas
    Jacob
    Ethan
    Noah
    James
    William
    Joshua
    George
    Leo
    Max
    Henry
    Alfie
    Lucas
    Daniel
    Dylan
    Finley
    Alexander
    Freddie
    Isaac
    Samuel
    Joseph
    Archie
    Muhammad
    Benjamin
    Lewis
    Logan
    Matthew
    Sebastian
    Jake
    Edward
    Zachary
    Aidan
    Luke
    Mason
    Riley
    Ryan
    Elliott
    Toby
    Reuben
    Adam
    Theo
    Connor
    Nathan
    Jayden
    Liam

Actually it was based on the ONS data using the register of births. Mohammed was the most popular boys name in London and the West Midlands. If you combine the three most usual spellings of the name then it was most popular overall.

• colthe3rd said:

Probably get a ban knowing how sensitive this forum can be but some of these posts are ridiculous.

So you should only be allowed to live in the country if English is your first language?
    Don't think I said that, I'm saying that if people live in this country they should speak the language or at least try. If people don't then I'll just rollover as that's what we're good as a country at doing now.
  • Really ?

So there is no need to speak English in England because the word tea originated in ancient China.

Cool.
  • PL54 said:

Because I don't think that English should be a minority language in England or any defined region within it.

It isn't.
  • Chizz said:

PL54 said:

Because I don't think that English should be a minority language in England or any defined region within it.

It isn't.
    He didnt know that, thats why he asked the question!!!!!

• Chizz said:

Chizz said:

PL54 said:

This was in 2011 - any chance that by now English is the 2nd most spoken language in any London Borough ?

No

Could be heading that way though.
    I'm sure I read in everyone's favourite paper last week, that 57% of London's babies are born to mothers originally from outside the UK.
    6. Among London Boroughs, the lowest level of English as a first language is Newham, where "only" 56.6% of people speak English as a first language. This means that, in Newham, all other first languages put together count for 41.4% of people.

Are you suggesting 2% of people in Newham don't speak?
    No. But I am happy to admit that if I lived there, the average mathematics ability would drop!

*43.4%

• edited September 2014
    Chunes said:

I have a huge problem with people speaking in their own language when they live here if they can speak English.

But why? Are you worried they're talking about you or something?

I've lived in a few countries and can't say I've ever seen British expats walking around speaking the local tongue to each other. If it's all of a sudden such a cornerstone of British manners...
    No not really, but it is a bit annoying when you get served on a till by someone speaking English only to turn to their mates and speak in their own language, what's the need. I've got lots of friends who were not born here or their parents migrated before they were born yet they always speak English and never decide to suddenly flip between the languages when we're out.

• colthe3rd said:

Don't think I said that, I'm saying that if people live in this country they should speak the language or at least try. If people don't then I'll just rollover as that's what we're good as a country at doing now.
    It was implied from your post.

Let's use a hypothetical situation. Imagine you are off to live in another country, let's say Portugal. Before you go you learn Portuguese fluently. When there you are told you are not allowed to speak English, at all, that includes to English people you may meet and even to your own family who may have moved with you. Does that sound fair?
  • Sponsored links:

• C_A_F_C said:

Where is the Nepalese community in Greenwich mostly based? As a Greenwich borough resident I really struggle to believe that Nepalese is the second language in the borough.

The people who maintain the borough web site don't seem to be aware of this fact either.

royalgreenwich.gov.uk/info/92/housing_allocations_-_registering_for_a_property/529/search_and_apply_for_a_home/2

https://www.whatdotheyknow.com/request/189038/response/465648/attach/html/3/RFI 06472 attachment.docx.html
    Thanks for posting that. I can't argue with the statistics. Only 68 in my ward which explains why I wasn't aware we had such a large Nepali community. Further investigation reveals that Greenwich has the second largest Nepali community in the UK.

cnsuk.org.uk/?option=articles&id=12

You can download some interesting statistics about Greenwich borough here.

royalgreenwich.gov.uk/downloads/file/67/royal_borough_of_greenwich_profile
  • Probably get a ban knowing how sensitive this forum can be but some of these posts are ridiculous.

1. Every London Borough has a majority of people with English as a main language. Let's not get all Daily Mail about this. Not one London Borough has a majority of people with English as a second language. Not one. Nowhere in this city. And nowhere across the rest of the country.

2. Why do *you* have a problem with people choosing to speak Bengali, Russian, Urdu, Japanese, Swahili, Lingala, Caribbean Creole, Akan, Persian or Welsh, if they're not talking to you? Why should it make any difference?

3. You've written: "It's sad that it's even a possibility that the majority of any London Borough may have English as it's second language". But, in English, it should be "... its second language". Hope that helps.
  • colthe3rd said:

But this survey - which prompted this thread - was based on information as to languages other than English which are spoken, that doesn't mean they can't speak English too.

Chunes said:

I have a huge problem with people speaking in their own language when they live here if they can speak English.

I've lived in a few countries and can't say I've ever seen British expats walking around speaking the local tongue to each other. If it's all of a sudden such a cornerstone of British manners...
    No not really, but it is a bit annoying when you get served on a till by someone speaking English only to turn to their mates and speak in their own language, what's the need. I've got lots of friends who were not born here or their parents migrated before they were born yet they always speak English and never decide to suddenly flip between the languages when we're out.

Why does it bother you ? In you first post you've said "if people live in this country they should speak the language or at least try" - in your hypothetical shop example they've done just that, and addressed you in English because you can't speak another language.
  • There are a few surprises for me there.
    Lived in Havering for 12 years and have never met anyone with any ties to Lithuania.
  • colthe3rd said:

colthe3rd said:

It was implied from your post.

Let's use a hypothetical situation. Imagine you are off to live in another country, let's say Portugal. Before you go you learn Portuguese fluently. When there you are told you are not allowed to speak English, at all, that includes to English people you may meet and even to your own family who may have moved with you. Does that sound fair?
    Did I say you couldn't? I'm on about the effort here. If I moved to Portugal I would have probably learned the local lingo before hand or would learn on arrival and stick to it. I'm not just saying that either.

I expect people to learn English and speak English when they move here, I would never say to someone learning the language to not speak unless it's English. My point is that when people know English but choose not to speak it in England it bugs me. It also bugs me when people live here but make no effort to learn the language. If that makes sense.
  • Chizz said:

PL54 said:

No

Do you know this or just assume?

There is a school in Leeds that teaches English as a foreign language isn't there.
  • PL54 said:

Chizz said:

PL54 said:

No

Do you know this or just assume?

There is a school in Leeds that teaches English as a foreign language isn't there.
    But how will people who don't speak English learn it unless they are taught ?
  • edited September 2014
    Chizz said:

1. Every London Borough has a majority of people with English as a main language. Let's not get all Daily Mail about this. Not one London Borough has a majority of people with English as a second language. Not one. Nowhere in this city. And nowhere across the rest of the country.

2. Why do *you* have a problem with people choosing to speak Bengali, Russian, Urdu, Japanese, Swahili, Lingala, Caribbean Creole, Akan, Persian or Welsh, if they're not talking to you? Why should it make any difference?

3. You've written: "It's sad that it's even a possibility that the majority of any London Borough may have English as it's second language". But, in English, it should be "... its second language". Hope that helps.
    Bit weird scanning my post for an error like that, not gonna pretend spell check messed me over. Nice observation though mate!

I have a problem cause I have a problem, I don't want the country to lose its identity, people speaking their own language in public is becoming a lot more common. Why do you think that is ok?

As for point 1 didn't you say it was 'very very far away' suggesting it's a possibility? To me that in itself is bad.
  • se9addick said:

colthe3rd said:

But this survey - which prompted this thread - was based on information as to languages other than English which are spoken, that doesn't mean they can't speak English too.

Chunes said:

Why does it bother you ? In you first post you've said "if people live in this country they should speak the language or at least try" - in your hypothetical shop example they've done just that, and addressed you in English because you can't speak another language.
    Because I live in England and so do they? Why would I or they address me in any other language? Are you for real?
This discussion has been closed.

Roland Out Forever!