Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.

2nd most spoken languages in London Boroughs (after English)

Comments

• se9addick said:

colthe3rd said:

Probably get a ban knowing how sensitive this forum can be but some of these posts are ridiculous.

It's sad that it's even a possibility that the majority of any London Borough may have English as it's second language. Just isn't acceptable.

I don't have a problem with people speaking in their own language when they visit the country, I have a huge problem with people speaking in their own language when they live here if they can speak English.

So you should only be allowed to live in the country if English is your first language?
    Don't think I said that, I'm saying that if people live in this country they should speak the language or at least try. If people don't then I'll just rollover as that's what we're good as a country at doing now.
    But this survey - which prompted this thread - was based on information as to languages other than English which are spoken, that doesn't mean they can't speak English too.

Chunes said:

I have a huge problem with people speaking in their own language when they live here if they can speak English.

But why? Are you worried they're talking about you or something?

I've lived in a few countries and can't say I've ever seen British expats walking around speaking the local tongue to each other. If it's all of a sudden such a cornerstone of British manners...
    No not really, but it is a bit annoying when you get served on a till by someone speaking English only to turn to their mates and speak in their own language, what's the need. I've got lots of friends who were not born here or their parents migrated before they were born yet they always speak English and never decide to suddenly flip between the languages when we're out.

Why does it bother you ? In you first post you've said "if people live in this country they should speak the language or at least try" - in your hypothetical shop example they've done just that, and addressed you in English because you can't speak another language.
    Because I live in England and so do they? Why would I or they address me in any other language? Are you for real?
    But they didn't, they spoke to you in English as per your request. Are you saying that any conversation held in your presence - even one not involving you - must be conducted in English ?
  • If my Children went to school in France (for example) I would not expect the entire school to start learning French as a foreign language to help them out.

If any of them subsequently worked in the local supermarket I would not expect them to refuse to answer customers' questions in the local language.

• PL54 said:

Chizz said:

PL54 said:

This was in 2011 - any chance that by now English is the 2nd most spoken language in any London Borough ?

No

Do you know this or just assume?

There is a school in Leeds that teaches English as a foreign language isn't there.
    I cannot imagine any scenario in which another language has usurped English as the majority main language in any London Borough in the three years since this census was taken. It would take a monumental shift in demography, such that the facts behind it would have been very public. And I don't know of any such massive shift demography in any London Borough.

A school in Leeds has been planning to offer an additional 50 minutes of English language teaching a week, so that pupils have a better chance of getting A or A* grades at GCSE. Do you think this is a good thing or a bad thing?
  • edited September 2014
    se9addick said:

se9addick said:

colthe3rd said:

Probably get a ban knowing how sensitive this forum can be but some of these posts are ridiculous.

It's sad that it's even a possibility that the majority of any London Borough may have English as it's second language. Just isn't acceptable.

I don't have a problem with people speaking in their own language when they visit the country, I have a huge problem with people speaking in their own language when they live here if they can speak English.

So you should only be allowed to live in the country if English is your first language?
    Don't think I said that, I'm saying that if people live in this country they should speak the language or at least try. If people don't then I'll just rollover as that's what we're good as a country at doing now.
    But this survey - which prompted this thread - was based on information as to languages other than English which are spoken, that doesn't mean they can't speak English too.

Chunes said:

I have a huge problem with people speaking in their own language when they live here if they can speak English.

I've lived in a few countries and can't say I've ever seen British expats walking around speaking the local tongue to each other. If it's all of a sudden such a cornerstone of British manners...
    No not really, but it is a bit annoying when you get served on a till by someone speaking English only to turn to their mates and speak in their own language, what's the need. I've got lots of friends who were not born here or their parents migrated before they were born yet they always speak English and never decide to suddenly flip between the languages when we're out.

Why does it bother you ? In you first post you've said "if people live in this country they should speak the language or at least try" - in your hypothetical shop example they've done just that, and addressed you in English because you can't speak another language.
    Because I live in England and so do they? Why would I or they address me in any other language? Are you for real?
    But they didn't, they spoke to you in English as per your request. Are you saying that any conversation held in your presence - even one not involving you - must be conducted in English ?
    Misunderstood sorry.

It shouldn't be a request, they work in a shop in England so it should be a given to speak English, so you can't really refer to it as a request can you. Request the complete wrong word.

I don't think they should then turn to their mates and speak another language if they've clearly just spoke English to me.
  • se9addick said:

I was in a Tesco store in Weybridge on bank holiday Monday and my son wanted the loo. So I asked a Tesco assistant on the shop floor where the toilets were, but she snapped back "I don't speak English, sorry" and walked off.
    "Ah, thanks very much" I said and went off to find another 'assistant'. It might be great that so many different languages are spoken here, but I don't think it unreasonable for newcomers settling and working here to speak English.

Are you sure they worked there ? I'd be pretty surprised if a major supermarket would employ someone on the working floor that literally couldn't speak English.
    Only a couple of clues to her being a employee really; like she was wearing a Tesco uniform and was pushing a large trolley of trays in the restaurant area back into the kitchen.
    So she was a kitchen assistant then? Probably doing a menial job that no-one else wanted to do (rather than "coming over here, living off the dole") whilst she learns the language?

She shouldn't have snapped at you though. You should have complained at the time about that.
  • se9addick said:

se9addick said:

colthe3rd said:

Chunes said:

Misunderstood sorry.

It shouldn't be a request, they work in a shop in England so it should be a given to speak English, so you can't really refer to it as a request can you. Request the complete wrong word.

I don't think they should then turn to their mates and speak another language if they've clearly just spoke English to me.
    Ok - I agree that if you work in a shop in England where you'll need to hold some form of conversation with customers you should speak in English. What I can't understand is why you care which language they use to speak to their friends in.

I honestly can't think of a single negative impact on my life of people in England speaking languages other than English, in fact I can only think of benefits.
  • colthe3rd said:

colthe3rd said:

It was implied from your post.

Let's use a hypothetical situation. Imagine you are off to live in another country, let's say Portugal. Before you go you learn Portuguese fluently. When there you are told you are not allowed to speak English, at all, that includes to English people you may meet and even to your own family who may have moved with you. Does that sound fair?
    Did I say you couldn't? I'm on about the effort here. If I moved to Portugal I would have probably learned the local lingo before hand or would learn on arrival and stick to it. I'm not just saying that either.

I expect people to learn English and speak English when they move here, I would never say to someone learning the language to not speak unless it's English. My point is that when people know English but choose not to speak it in England it bugs me. It also bugs me when people live here but make no effort to learn the language. If that makes sense.
    Good for you. You are in such a huge minority that you should embrace and accept your uniqueness, and not let the 99% + of people who are not like you get under your skin so much.
  • I know he's the name of a made-up clown from the bronze age but in surprised Muhammed is such a popular name when it's such a shit one.

Max Power, now that's more like it
  • PL54 said:

Really ?

So there is no need to speak English in England because the word tea originated in ancient China.

Cool.

No...just don't use the word 'tea' as it's foreign.
  • Sponsored links:

• se9addick said:

I was in a Tesco store in Weybridge on bank holiday Monday and my son wanted the loo. So I asked a Tesco assistant on the shop floor where the toilets were, but she snapped back "I don't speak English, sorry" and walked off.
    "Ah, thanks very much" I said and went off to find another 'assistant'. It might be great that so many different languages are spoken here, but I don't think it unreasonable for newcomers settling and working here to speak English.

Are you sure they worked there ? I'd be pretty surprised if a major supermarket would employ someone on the working floor that literally couldn't speak English.
    Only a couple of clues to her being a employee really; like she was wearing a Tesco uniform and was pushing a large trolley of trays in the restaurant area back into the kitchen.
    So she was a kitchen assistant then? Probably doing a menial job that no-one else wanted to do (rather than "coming over here, living off the dole") whilst she learns the language?

She shouldn't have snapped at you though. You should have complained at the time about that.
    I don't know what her job title was. And I'd be guessing why she's working there. I just presumed I could ask an employee a question and get an answer.

Maybe I should have complained. But that would have involved me finding a manager and wasting more of my bank holiday with children in tow.
  • se9addick said:

I don't know what her job title was. And I'd be guessing why she's working there. I just presumed I could ask an employee a question and get an answer.

Maybe I should have complained. But that would have involved me finding a manager and wasting more of my bank holiday with children in tow.
    Are you more upset that she was rude or that she was a rude foreigner?

• Chizz said:

se9addick said:

More upset that she was rude.
  • seth plum said:

All those European newcomers arriving in North America fell over themselves to learn Mohican, Cree, Shawnee, Cheyenne, Apache, Dakota, Huron, Pawnee and so on.
    Oops sorry, the European newcomers were more engaged in supplying Native North Americans with smallpox infested blankets.

Not a fair comparison in my view. Each tribe was relatively few in numbers, lived in isolated areas of a huge country, and never dominated the whole of the USA. Meetings between a specific tribe and Europeans was on a irregular basis for the majority of Europeans, who lived on the Eastern seaboard, whilst not a single tribe you mentioned above was an Eastern Seaboard tribe. Also, the Europeans saw the Native Americans as an "inferior" race and any culture would not encourage a "superior" race to learn the language of "inferior" races.

Smallpox-infested blankets sadly did occur on a few occasions, but a far greater issue was the introduction of alcohol to the native peoples.
  • I don't have an opinion on the thread topic as such. However, I'm always struck how, during such topics, the posters who oppose multi-culturalism/multi linguistics etc, are always treated in a condescending manner by those who agree with it.

Mind you, I haven't read past page 1, mainly for the above reason.

It's probably because there is never a reasonable explanation given for opposing it. See PL54's posts for examples of this.
  • colthe3rd said:

I don't have an opinion on the thread topic as such. However, I'm always struck how, during such topics, the posters who oppose multi-culturalism/multi linguistics etc, are always treated in a condescending manner by those who agree with it.

It's probably because there is never a reasonable explanation given for opposing it. See PL54's posts for examples of this.
    There might be but it's one in which takes alot of diplomacy to describe. (I for one see more positives than negatives in multicultural society but that's my opinion.)

Some might be interested in hearing this from Radio 4 today.

"'Honeyford Affair', the heated dispute surrounding Ray Honeyford, a Bradford headteacher whose outspoken criticisms of multiculturalism caused a national controversy."

http://www.bbc.co.uk/programmes/b04fyjq8
  • colthe3rd said:

I don't have an opinion on the thread topic as such. However, I'm always struck how, during such topics, the posters who oppose multi-culturalism/multi linguistics etc, are always treated in a condescending manner by those who agree with it.

Oh do knob off.

I am all for multiculturalism, social integration and harmony but that requires a common language - at least when the various parties come together in places like school, shops and the such like. Otherwise you have isolation and miscommunication at best.

For the time being and seeing as this is happening in England after all, I think that the shared, majority language should be English.
  • Sponsored links:

• I know he's the name of a made-up clown from the bronze age but in surprised Muhammed is such a popular name when it's such a shit one.

Max Power, now that's more like it

We do have a young Addick by this name, my sons mate....he even speaks English.
  • PL54 said:

colthe3rd said:

Oh do knob off.

I am all for multiculturalism, social integration and harmony but that requires a common language - at least when the various parties come together in places like school, shops and the such like. Otherwise you have isolation and miscommunication at best.

For the time being and seeing as this is happening in England after all, I think that the shared, majority language should be English.
    What does "shared, majority language" mean? Because if it means that, in London, most people should speak English, that's what we've got.
  • se9addick said:

You could have spent the time you used to post about it in here to fire off an e-mail to Tesco I suppose? That might actually change something...
  • Chizz said:

se9addick said:

More upset that she was rude.
    So it didn't matter what language she speaks
  • Probably get a ban knowing how sensitive this forum can be but some of these posts are ridiculous.

Shall we let Roland, Katrien and Bob know that you have a huge problem with them..?
  • se9addick said:

se9addick said:

colthe3rd said:

Chunes said:

Misunderstood sorry.

So if you moved to Spain and learnt the language so you could communicate with Spanish speakers you would not converse in English with other ex pats? Really?
  • edited September 2014
    The thing about 'English' is that it is now, and always has been, a very fluid language that embraces new words from wherever very readily, and the meanings of words also change over time.
    In Shakespeare's day being called 'naughty' wasn't far off being called the 'c' word.

We don't really deal in Dickensian English much these days:

'"You were very fond of your sister when she was alive," I said. - "Very."

'He looked uneasily round him, and I saw his hand grasp the back of his chair; but he said nothing.

'"You villain," said I, "I found you out: I discovered your hellish plots against me; I know her heart was fixed on some one else before you compelled her to marry me. I know it - I know it."

'He jumped suddenly from his chair, brandished it aloft, and bid me stand back - for I took care to be getting closer to him all the time I spoke.

'I screamed rather than talked, for I felt tumultuous passions eddying through my veins, and the old spirits whispering and taunting me to tear his heart out.

'"Damn you," said I, starting up, and rushing upon him; "I killed her. I am a madman. Down with you. Blood, blood! I will have it!"

'I turned aside with one blow the chair he hurled at me in his terror, and closed with him; and with a heavy crash we rolled upon the floor together. 'It was a fine struggle that; for he was a tall, strong man, fighting for his life; and I, a powerful madman, thirsting to destroy him. I knew no strength could equal mine, and I was right. Right again, though a madman! His struggles grew fainter. I knelt upon his chest, and clasped his brawny throat firmly with both hands. His face grew purple; his eyes were starting from his head, and with protruded tongue, he seemed to mock me. I squeezed the tighter. 'The door was suddenly burst open with a loud noise, and a crowd of people rushed forward, crying aloud to each other to secure the madman.

For those who want there to be 'English', where in time, where in the organic growth of the language are you going to stick in a pin and declare 'now thats proper English, and that's what it ought to be like?
  • Chizz said:

PL54 said:

colthe3rd said:

Oh do knob off.

What does "shared, majority language" mean? Because if it means that, in London, most people should speak English, that's what we've got.
    Good and let's hope it stays that way.
  • PL54 said:

Chizz said:

PL54 said:

colthe3rd said:

Oh do knob off.

Good and let's hope it stays that way.
    Out of interest, PL54 - where do you live?
  • PL54 said:

colthe3rd said:

Oh do knob off.

Finally you have posted something insightful and the vast majority would not disagree with what you have written. The majority language in this country and London is and always will be English. There really isn't a debate to be had here. Media sources who write "stats" about language use or country of birth of the population are doing it just to get a response from people without them looking beyond the headline.
This discussion has been closed.

Roland Out Forever!