Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.

Top Gear and "The Falklands"

Whatever you think about the main issue of wether the number plate was deliberate, my favourite part was this quote:

"Local councillor Juan Manuel Romano said the digits '269' on the number plate of the Ford Mustang Mustang Richard Hammond was driving were close to the 255 Britons killed during the 1982 war.

He added that the numbers '646' on James May's Lotus could be taken as a reference to the 649 Argentinian casualties."

...As close as completely different number could be.

Comments

• edited October 2014
    Jeremy Clarkson number was a bit more obvious
    H982 FKL
  • That's obviously taking it too far, but there's no way the number plate was a mistake. Dispicable stunt imo.
  • The show has become completely staged in every aspect unfortunately, painful to watch sometimes...
    Just thought the above statement was very funny.
  • Jeremy Clarkson number was a bit more obvious
    H982 FKL

And does anyone really believe that was a coincidence? Disregarding the politics of it all, this bafoon is going to get himself and his two sidekick mates lynched if he carries on like this. The wrongs and rights of it are irrelevant - you go to other people's countries and pull stunts like that then you deserve everything you get.
  • What does the H9 bit stand for? Get the 82 and FKL
  • redsek said:

H982 FKL

And does anyone really believe that was a coincidence? Disregarding the politics of it all, this bafoon is going to get himself and his two sidekick mates lynched if he carries on like this. The wrongs and rights of it are irrelevant - you go to other people's countries and pull stunts like that then you deserve everything you get.
    Stoned apparently, had to abandon the cars at a checkpoint.
  • Can't believe they're claiming Clarkson's was a coincidence.

Got enough nationalities that have got a grudge against us got one reason or another without our national broadcaster stirring up a few more.
  • colthe3rd said:

This will be an interesting thread. Personally I think it's sad that a great entertainment programme keeps resorting to such low tactics to get a rise out of others. Just stick to what you're good at and leave the obviously staged stuff behind, it isn't needed.

but what are they good at?
    3 posh boys taking the piss out of people.
  • Sponsored links:

• colthe3rd said:

This will be an interesting thread. Personally I think it's sad that a great entertainment programme keeps resorting to such low tactics to get a rise out of others. Just stick to what you're good at and leave the obviously staged stuff behind, it isn't needed.

But when they aren't trying to do the outrageous let's offend people or wind up the "PC" brigade or doing another staged caravan fire it is an entertaining show. They highlight some excellent cars and in some beautiful locations. The funny stuff comes naturally not by Clarkson forcing a joke down everyone's throat for the 50th time.
  • I must agree about the locations, the specials are worth watching for the scenery, but that's all.
  • Hope the BBC ditch them soon, 5 years past their sell-by.
  • I can see heads rolling over this but can't see if being any of the three front men. Still find TG entertaining though despite Clarkson's out of control ego.

Agreed.
  • colthe3rd said:

All a bit tediously and onanistically public school unfortunately

How funny would each of them find it if someone started taking the piss out of Hammond's squirt like stature, May's fey and camp appearance or the monkey's bum on the back of Clarkson's swede?

Not very I suppose.

• I'm going to come across as really stupid and naive here but could someone please explain to me why H982 FKL is offensive. Again, apologies for being so oblivious if it holds significant meaning to anybody on here.
  • ooooooooo dear so very public school same people moaning about this shit looooooooooooooooooooved the UTube piss take of Cameron --- get a fecking life
  • Saulc23 said:

I'm going to come across as really stupid and naive here but could someone please explain to me why H982 FKL is offensive. Again, apologies for being so oblivious if it holds significant meaning to anybody on here.

Was thinking the same> H9(?) 82 FLK = Falklands conflict in 1982, but all a bit silly to me.......
  • Saulc23 said:

I'm going to come across as really stupid and naive here but could someone please explain to me why H982 FKL is offensive. Again, apologies for being so oblivious if it holds significant meaning to anybody on here.

1982 Falklands war between Britain and Argentina.
  • Sponsored links:

• It sounds like they were dickheads and it backfired on them. I'm sure it'll be edited into 'banter' for the Christmas special.
  • C_A_F_C said:

Saulc23 said:

1982 Falklands war between Britain and Argentina.
    I figured that much. Just thought there must've been a deeper meaning.
  • redsek said:

H982 FKL

I aid this to the missus after reading some of his writings in the Sun the other week.

Its as if hes trying to intimidate people to try and kill him, putting his family in danger in the mean time.

• Wake up people.
    they weren't responsible for the car purchases nor the number plates.
    It is the editorial team behind it.
    Surely you guys realise this dont you?
    Blaming the presenters is like blaming that Scottish lady on BBC breakfast for bad weather.

It's still a Top Gear thing though, and those 3 pretty much ARE Top Gear, they made it what it is - and kept hammering the same jokes until it's about as funny as ebola. Just because Clarkson may not have personally bought that particular number plate doesn't mean he's not culpable - winding people up on purpose is his whole shtick.
  • Just too add, I od think it is a publicity stunt which has worked.

Albeit a fucking bellend stunt

Wont happen. One of the BEEB's biggest exports.
  • edited October 2014

Wake up people.
    they weren't responsible for the car purchases nor the number plates.
    It is the editorial team behind it.
    Surely you guys realise this dont you?
    Blaming the presenters is like blaming that Scottish lady on BBC breakfast for bad weather.

Problem is they're already known for this kind of behaviour in the name of humour and I don't think anyone would think that they wouldn't happily be part of such a stunt. Even if they had nothing to do with acquiring the cars/number plates, I find it difficult to believe that they didn't realise what was happening and were just innocently driving the car blissfully unaware.
    They may be twats, but they're intelligent twats. At best they happily went along with the "joke" (no doubt with their usual smugness and arrogance) so they have as much responsibility as whoever arranged the cars. No excuses for anyone involved.

Edit.......And as colthe3rd says; Clarkeson has a lot more involvement in the show than just presenting. There's no way he wasn't aware or involved.