Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.

Top Gear and "The Falklands"

Comments

• I think people are so bored nowadays they intentionally wind themselves up, that's just the sad reality. People would much rather intentionally get offended or upset over something that they could easily ignore than go do something constructive.
  • No one is forced to buy a TV license, you can survive without watching TV.

I wonder if all those complaining about TG would be happy to have their licence fee increased to make up for the lost revenue if TG was cancelled??

Nothing on TG is a surprise, you know what you're going to get when you tune in. If someone knows they don't like that sort of thing, why watch it? There must be plenty of other stuff the BBC make that you don't like, do you watch that stuff as well?

With garbage like Mrs Brown's Boys and Miranda being on the BBC turning massive profits maybe we need it for fantastic stuff like Life and Natural World to be made, which I imagine lose tons of money.
  • se9addick said:

Addickted said:

Addickted said:

It's just a boys 'road trip' programme, this one with a slant on cars - which I personally enjoy.

There have been plenty of similar programmes from three men in a boat....

When was the last time Dara Ó Briain, Rory McGrath and Griff Rhys Jones caused a diplomat incident?
    Have they sailed up and down the Parana River then?

I must have missed that episode.
    No...and thats my point...but if they ever did they wouldn't have painted the name General Belgrano on the side of the boat and ceremoniously blown it up just to piss off the locals ala Top Gear style.

It's a shame your TV only has one channel, if you upgrade you'll have plenty of other shows to watch.
    Quality answer Stu, well done...

Just trying to help, it seems a shame you're forced to watch things on TV that you really don't enjoy.

I don't like Loose Woman, so I don't watch it, it's much easier than forcing myself to sit through it so I can moan about it on the internet.
    Surely the difference is that Top Gear is produced by the national broadcaster, which we are legally enforced to pay for. If it was a commercial channel then the whole "if you don't like it watch something else" argument would make sense, on the BBC I feel like we are entitled to register our displeasure at what we're seeing.
    Quite so, and as a 'public service broadcaster' I think you will find the remit is still, to educate, inform and entertain........
    However that could mean anything these days'.......
    They have been updated....... to: see.http://www.bbc.co.uk/aboutthebbc/insidethebbc/whoweare/publicpurposes/citizenship.html
    Provide independent journalism of the highest quality.
    Engage a wide audience in news, current affairs and other topical issues.
    Encourage conversation and debate about news, current affairs and topical issues.
    Build greater understanding of the parliamentary process and political institutions governing the UK.
    Enable audiences to access, understand and interact with different types of media.

Again not sure if this passes the test, except taking the piss out of a countries beliefs...... however misguided they might be.

But as other posters have already said vote with your channel switcher.
    Which is why I did not bother with the last part of the previous series, and found the latest 'wheez' rather formulated, I did notice they had a massive personnal security back up holed up in there hotel....... Not too brave then were they?
    Did not fancy an exchange with the mob eh?......

Just get the feeling that this has been done before, on previous 'specials'......
    But if you enjoy it, fine..... But just remember this is all about selling the brand Top Gear, and the presenters profile..... and there bank balance.
    Good luck to them.
  • Addickted said:

It's just a boys 'road trip' programme, this one with a slant on cars - which I personally enjoy.

There have been plenty of similar programmes from three men in a boat to the recent one of Micky Flanagan doing the TDF.

Indeed my group who tend to spend the odd weekend following Charlton away or trips to different Battlefield Sites, could make some highly amusing (mainly self deprecating) and interesting TV.

Mind you, a lot of it would be a complete bore.

Speak for yourself
    "Two Ben's is going to cause some confusion; so Hayes, I'm just going to call you c*nt"

Just a quote from Peanut man as we made a coffee stop at some God forsaken service station in Belgium.

• No one is forced to buy a TV license, you can survive without watching TV.

I wonder if all those complaining about TG would be happy to have their licence fee increased to make up for the lost revenue if TG was cancelled??

Nothing on TG is a surprise, you know what you're going to get when you tune in. If someone knows they don't like that sort of thing, why watch it? There must be plenty of other stuff the BBC make that you don't like, do you watch that stuff as well?

With garbage like Mrs Brown's Boys and Miranda being on the BBC turning massive profits maybe we need it for fantastic stuff like Life and Natural World to be made, which I imagine lose tons of money.

No one is "forced" to have heating or electricity either but realistically there isn't much alternative, is there ? Doesn't sound like much of an argument to me.
  • God some people are sad. Its television...some people will like it, some will hate it. Some people will like the presenters, some will hate them. If you don't like it, or them, just don't watch it and don[t go whinging about it to people that do like it.

I find Miranda incredibly unfunny, so I wouldn't watch it. I also wouldn't open a thread about it to comment on it.
  • se9addick said:

No one is forced to buy a TV license, you can survive without watching TV.

No one is "forced" to have heating or electricity either but realistically there isn't much alternative, is there ? Doesn't sound like much of an argument to me.
    Sorry, you're comparing electricity and heating to not having a TV?

I know plenty of people that don't spend their lives plugged into the box in their front room.
  • God some people are sad. Its television...some people will like it, some will hate it. Some people will like the presenters, some will hate them. If you don't like it, or them, just don't watch it and don[t go whinging about it to people that do like it.

I find Miranda incredibly unfunny, so I wouldn't watch it. I also wouldn't open a thread about it to comment on it.

Exactly, I would say Miranda does not fall within the BBC's remit of being 'entertaining' plenty of people would disagree, I don't think my opinion should be forced onto those people, instead I'll watch something else, read a book, go for a walk or any other number of things.

The BBC makes tons of tons of exceptional TV, it's why it's famous all over the world, much of it finanaced by shows like TG, Miranda and MBB.
  • se9addick said:

I know plenty of people that don't spend their lives plugged into the box in their front room.
    So just to be clear your honest, legitimate answer to not liking a show on the BBC – and feeling entitled to express that dissatisfaction – is to not own a TV at all ?

I know you live in China but…
  • se9addick said:

se9addick said:

So just to be clear your honest, legitimate answer to not liking a show on the BBC – and feeling entitled to express that dissatisfaction – is to not own a TV at all ?

I know you live in China but…
    What I don't get it why you feel the need to open this thread and continue to show your dissatisfaction over a tv show the BBC produce. Yes the BBC is paid for by the license fee but does that really mean that every time someone doesn't enjoy a show they produce they have to show they are dissastisfied?

Just change channel.
  • Sponsored links:

• Where did Stu say that?

Should the BBC write to ask your permission before they commission any programmes, in case you may dislike the content?
  • Actually I think the answer is for those of you who don't like the show, don't watch it.

It was you who suggested the problem is that you don't want to pay for the show, simply because YOU don't like it, despite the fact that many, many people all over the world do, making the BBC large sums of money.

You can also own a TV and watch tons and tons of stuff without having to pay the BBC a penny.

• Addickted said:

Where did Stu say that?

Should the BBC write to ask your permission before they commission any programmes, in case you may dislike the content?

Of course not - but surely I'm entitled to say if I don't like the content of a programme I'm (essentially) forced to pay for via my TV licence ? Is it a good enough answer to say "if you don't like it don't watch it" or "if you don't like it, don't comment on it" for a programme produced by the national broadcaster ?

For me, it's not, you may well have different standards but that's entirely your prerogative.
  • What I don't get is why you even watched the show in the first place, you must have known what it was going to be like, Top Gear is hardly a new programme.
  • Actually I think the answer is for those of you who don't like the show, don't watch it.

It was you who suggested the problem is that you don't want to pay for the show, simply because YOU don't like it, despite the fact that many, many people all over the world do, making the BBC large sums of money.

You can also own a TV and watch tons and tons of stuff without having to pay the BBC a penny.

I thought to watch television in the UK each household had to pay for a license ?
  • I believe, although I may be wrong, you need the license to watch live tv.

So DVDs etc are, I believe, fine.

The worst thing for me is the fact I would imagine you're not alone in your opinion that being able to watch live TV is as important as heating.

• There's no way of them knowing what you watch, unless you let them in or admit you watch TV when they knock,

So you don't really have to pay as there's no way of them knowing
  • The Miranda defence doesn't stand as she is constantly slated on here as unfunny by many and various posters.

I don't watch her so don't comment on her. Same as top gear.

As for Addickted, you, live by the sword and SG3 boring on about M16 v a n other rifle would fill the top gear slot no problem.
  • I believe, although I may be wrong, you need the license to watch live tv.

The worst thing for me is the fact I would imagine you're not alone in your opinion that being able to watch live TV is as important as heating.

Hold on - clearly heating is a of more importance than television, that's not what I said at all. But saying that people have a choice of either putting up with whatever the BBC put out or not owning a television seems a bit silly when the middle ground is that people can buy a TV license and also have the right to say they feel like some of the content that the BBC is producing isn't good enough.
  • The Miranda defence doesn't stand as she is constantly slated on here as unfunny by many and various posters.

Which is just as silly, if they don't like it they shouldn't watch it.

• Sponsored links:

• edited January 2015
    But you don't have to buy a tv licence if you don't want too
  • But you don't have to buy a tv licence if you don't want too

And what is the alternative ?
  • se9addick said:

I believe, although I may be wrong, you need the license to watch live tv.

Hold on - clearly heating is a of more importance than television, that's not what I said at all. But saying that people have a choice of either putting up with whatever the BBC put out or not owning a television seems a bit silly when the middle ground is that people can buy a TV license and also have the right to say they feel like some of the content that the BBC is producing isn't good enough.
    I said I would have thought it easier just to not watch the show, I still don't understand why you watched it, knowing you wouldn't like it, your reply was you are 'forced' to pay for it (which just isn't true).

The BBC, like producers the world over will make stuff some people love, whilst others hate it, it's just life, we don't all enjoy the same things.

I still think it would be much easier to just not watch it, it almost seems like some people have forced themselves to watch it, knowing they'll hate it, just to have something to complain about.
  • edited January 2015

se9addick said:

I believe, although I may be wrong, you need the license to watch live tv.

I said I would have thought it easier just to not watch the show, I still don't understand why you watched it, knowing you wouldn't like it, your reply was you are 'forced' to pay for it (which just isn't true).

The BBC, like producers the world over will make stuff some people love, whilst others hate it, it's just life, we don't all enjoy the same things.

I still think it would be much easier to just not watch it, it almost seems like some people have forced themselves to watch it, knowing they'll hate it, just to have something to complain about.
    I actually watched it and thought it was mediocre but not terrible (and I thought they clearly had invited the trouble and then realised they had bitten off more than they could chew).

My point is with the whole "if you don't like it just watch something else" argument.

In the UK, if we want to watch or record television we are compelled by law to buy a television license. Given that the vast, vast majority of the country do want to watch or record television and it would probably be detrimental to their lives if they couldn't (of course not in the way that not having access to heating or food would be) it is essentially a tax. If it is then accepted that the vast majority of this “tax” goes to the BBC, surely the people of this country are therefore allowed some opinion on the programming that the BBC are delivering ?
  • Scrap the TV tax and reinvest the millions saved from not employing Crapita to adminster the whole thing into quality programming, then fund the Beeb out of general taxation.

Which is just as silly, if they don't like it they shouldn't watch it.

I agree but these righties like to climb aboard the offended bus. Moan moan moan.
  • Don't buy one like I said unless you tell them you are watching it or let the tv licence man in to see your telly, which he has no legal right of entry, there is no way they know, me I pay by dd monthly but there was a time when I was skint that I binned the licence fee off for about 2 yrs and when he knocked told him I dont watch the tv and no he couldn't come in and that was the end of that, no repercussions no fine nothing
  • I absolutely hate soap operas, talent(less) shows, reality cook,bug eating,singing and dancing shows, day time chat shows, morning programming and situation comedies but I don't feel the need to write to MP to express my dissatisfaction.
    I just except lots of people like crap.
  • Saw a photo of Clarkson out supporting his local Boxing Day hunt. Proof if proof was needed that he is indeed a total c***!