Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.

Top Gear and "The Falklands"

Comments

• I don't think anyone is defending the Argentinian reaction or their past actions in regards to the Falklands. That doesn't excuse Clarkson or Top Gear though. They had a good idea that it would most probably provoke a reaction, if it didn't they can all look smug and point to the oh look how we got one over on them, as they were caught out they can pretend it was unintentional and point to the overreaction. All round it's pretty childish but that doesn't excuse provoking them to get a reaction.
  • If you want to see his no nonsense brand of presenting at its brilliant best go onto YouTube and search for

Clarkson - The Greatest Raid of All

The story of the Commandos and St Nazaire Raid which he recounts brilliantly

or try his one about The Victoria Cross which includes the extraordinary tale of this relative who won the VC at Arnhem

or his Greatest Briton peace on Isambard Kingdom Brunel - which nearly swung the vote away from Churchill.

He is dogmatic, ebullient and forthright. It may be a fault in certain circumstances but it can also make for superb reporting/storytelling.

Yes but that is when hes being serious...and yes, he can be very good at it....

...but his problem is that he thinks hes a multi-talented TV celebrity/entertainer....with his other areas of expertise being social commentary and comedy of which he is both a complete wanker and crap. His approach to politics and humour run on a parallel....to offend as many people as possible and then point and laugh. Can you get any cheaper than that?
  • edited October 2014

If you want to see his no nonsense brand of presenting at its brilliant best go onto YouTube and search for

Clarkson - The Greatest Raid of All

The story of the Commandos and St Nazaire Raid which he recounts brilliantly

or try his one about The Victoria Cross which includes the extraordinary tale of this relative who won the VC at Arnhem

or his Greatest Briton peace on Isambard Kingdom Brunel - which nearly swung the vote away from Churchill.

He is dogmatic, ebullient and forthright. It may be a fault in certain circumstances but it can also make for superb reporting/storytelling.

Yes but that is when hes being serious...and yes, he can be very good at it....

...but his problem is that he thinks hes a multi-talented TV celebrity/entertainer....with his other areas of expertise being social commentary and comedy of which he is both a complete wanker and crap. His approach to politics and humour run on a parallel....to offend as many people as possible and then point and laugh. Can you get any cheaper than that?
    Well he is also a massively read author of books with his take on life and they are very funny.

I acknowledged that he is a Marmite figure.

Personally I wouldn't get too steamed up about his political stuff which is really just aimed at drawing an audience to him who like him to take a pop at all and sundry and who enjoy the political incorrectness that he employs.

• Jeremy Clarkson is exactly what the UK needs in an era of over the top PC hand wringing correctness. I would also add how many people would have picked up on the number plate if it had not been highlighted. Not may I suspect.

I personally love Top Gear and watch repeats on BBC knowledge as its always good, easy TV when nothing else is on. Their specials in particular are always very good
  • WayneK said:

If you don't like it, switch over or turn off the TV and read your Guardian. Simples.

An interesting opinion. Let me say why I think it's flawed and it's certainly not that simple.
    First, I'm a petrolhead.
    However, about four years ago, I did exactly what you said - I turned off Top Gear. (Although I'd rather get a Millwall season ticket than read the paper you refer to.)
    The thing is cars are a big part of our lives. The BBC should be providing us with an informative car-related magazine programme and it is failing to get anywhere close to that.
    By the time I stopped watching it, Top Gear has morphed into a show which had very little to do with cars and motoring: i was just an entertainment programme filmed in a shed. And a very poor one at that.
    We got no reliable analysis (although Clarkson certainly does put the anal in analysis) of new cars, no decent road tests and no decent comparisons between like-for-like vehicles.
    And, on top of that, we got presenters telling lies about cars and their attributes thus actually misinforming viewers.
    So, just turning off the programme because you think Clarkson and his minions are just a bunch of ((i)) s is not the answer because it means the national broadcaster is failing to provide a watchable, informative, meaningful programme about an important topic for many people. Whether you think a caravan being blown up is amusing TV or not it is not a programme providing the service we deserve.
  • cafcfan said:

WayneK said:

If you don't like it, switch over or turn off the TV and read your Guardian. Simples.

An interesting opinion. Let me say why I think it's flawed and it's certainly not that simple.
    First, I'm a petrolhead.
    However, about four years ago, I did exactly what you said - I turned off Top Gear. (Although I'd rather get a Millwall season ticket than read the paper you refer to.)
    The thing is cars are a big part of our lives. The BBC should be providing us with an informative car-related magazine programme and it is failing to get anywhere close to that.
    By the time I stopped watching it, Top Gear has morphed into a show which had very little to do with cars and motoring: i was just an entertainment programme filmed in a shed. And a very poor one at that.
    We got no reliable analysis (although Clarkson certainly does put the anal in analysis) of new cars, no decent road tests and no decent comparisons between like-for-like vehicles.
    And, on top of that, we got presenters telling lies about cars and their attributes thus actually misinforming viewers.
    So, just turning off the programme because you think Clarkson and his minions are just a bunch of ((i)) s is not the answer because it means the national broadcaster is failing to provide a watchable, informative, meaningful programme about an important topic for many people. Whether you think a caravan being blown up is amusing TV or not it is not a programme providing the service we deserve.
    So when I turn off Countryfile is that the BBC's faut as well? Or does it just mean that that show is not my cup of tea. Get a grip ffs.

• Croydon said:

cafcfan said:

WayneK said:

First, I'm a petrolhead.
    So when I turn off Countryfile is that the BBC's faut as well? Or does it just mean that that show is not my cup of tea. Get a grip ffs.

But that's completely different isn't it?

If you have no interest in a topic you have a valid reason for not watching a programme about it.

But it's nonetheless an interesting comparison you chose to make.
    On the one hand you have a programme - Countryfile - that is clearly very popular amongst its target audience, regularly pulling in over 5mn viewers for what could be argued to be a minority interest. They do a good job presenting all-things country in an interesting and varied way. What's more it pulls in those viewing figures doing a show on a weekly basis throughout the year and is, it seems, becoming more popular.
    On the other hand, you have Top Gear a show that should be of interest to a huge percentage of the population but isn't. That should be of concern to the BBC but, apparently not.
    It's a show which only has around seven episodes per series, but has a dwindling audience share and was actually embarrassed by its viewing figures when it was in direct competition with, ironically, Countryfile! In my view this is because increasing numbers of people who should want to watch a motoring programme are finding the show to be very formulaic and one which is failing to surprise any more.
    Top Gear jumped the shark some time ago. If it were not still a popular franchise overseas and was not an hour long advertorial for the (still) reasonably high quality Top Gear magazine, it would by now be dead in the water.
  • edited October 2014
    Stig said:

I've always found the big problem with Countryfile to be John Craven. He's just not edgy enough. In this day and age nobody wants tv programmes to be based on facts and sensibleness. We want something with a sharper cutting edge. It's time that Craven started making passes at Ellie Harrison and calling Baker, Henson and Heep a bunch of ginger beers. If ever there was a programme calling out for a special edition featuring a dead cow, it has got to be Countryfile. Come on Craven get one on your roof rack now. And with a name like Countryfile why not try driving a tractor through other people's countries shouting, "your country's shit" at everyone you see, you could then end each edition by filing their flag in the bin. That's what your higher paid, well respected colleagues on TG would do Craven. Come on, you'll never amount to anything unless you learn to always cater to the lowest common denominator.

;-)

Why the smilie Stig? Have you thought of sending your ideas to the BBC?
  • Sponsored links:

• Stig said:

I've always found the big problem with Countryfile to be John Craven. He's just not edgy enough. In this day and age nobody wants tv programmes to be based on facts and sensibleness. We want something with a sharper cutting edge. It's time that Craven started making passes at Ellie Harrison and calling Baker, Henson and Heep a bunch of ginger beers. If ever there was a programme calling out for a special edition featuring a dead cow, it has got to be Countryfile. Come on Craven get one on your roof rack now. And with a name like Countryfile why not try driving a tractor through other people's countries shouting, "your country's shit" at everyone you see, you could then end each edition by filing their flag in the bin. That's what your higher paid, well respected colleagues on TG would do Craven. Come on, you'll never amount to anything unless you learn to always cater to the lowest common denominator.

;-)

Haha, I might actually consider watching Countryfile then!
  • edited October 2014
    colthe3rd said:

Jeremy Clarkson is exactly what the UK needs in an era of over the top PC hand wringing correctness. I would also add how many people would have picked up on the number plate if it had not been highlighted. Not may I suspect.

I personally love Top Gear and watch repeats on BBC knowledge as its always good, easy TV when nothing else is on. Their specials in particular are always very good

I always love when this is trotted out. Usually used to justify someone being offensive. Sometimes followed by the words miserable or banter.
    Shut up you wet lettuce!

|
    |
    |
    v

;o)
  • cafcfan said:

WayneK said:

First, I'm a petrolhead.
    You can always watch 5th Gear, that has a few more comparisions on it, although they do like the to ape some of the TG stuff but fail because of lack of money and script writers.
    Top Gear stopped being a motoring programme years ago. Cars, as a subject, are dull as diswater. We all can afford the run of the mill Focus/Astra/Civic/308 etc, what I like to see is cars so exotic I will never have them.
    I dont think it is a poor entertanment programme as you say, (maybe not your thing), it sell througout the world and is agood earner for the BBC.
  • colthe3rd said:

Jeremy Clarkson is exactly what the UK needs in an era of over the top PC hand wringing correctness. I would also add how many people would have picked up on the number plate if it had not been highlighted. Not may I suspect.

I always love when this is trotted out. Usually used to justify someone being offensive. Sometimes followed by the words miserable or banter.
    Shut up you wet lettuce!

|
    |
    |
    v

;o)
  • John Craven! Jesus, how old must he be? I remember watching him do 'Newsround' when I was at Primary school in the early 80s!
  • edited October 2014
    John Craven is 386 years old, fact!

A year older than Michael Aspel...
  • This sort of sounds to me of a kid who would put a sticky note on the back of someones blazer in the playground saying 'dickhead'. The teacher catches them in the act and asks why they did it.

Clarkson would be the kid standing there going "I thought it was Hammond, he thinks its great when I abuse him" whilst crying because he was caught.

Hammond is just shivering with fear and is not worth the rant from the teacher as he is clearly the runt of the litter.

James May is standing there gormless like Lennie from 'of mice and men' not a clue.

The teacher gives them detention, goes to the pub after work to tell their mates about these 3 boys who aren't funny who are named in the staff room as 'Team Twat'.
  • cafcfan said:

WayneK said:

First, I'm a petrolhead.
    You can always watch 5th Gear, that has a few more comparisions on it, although they do like the to ape some of the TG stuff but fail because of lack of money and script writers.
    Top Gear stopped being a motoring programme years ago. Cars, as a subject, are dull as diswater. We all can afford the run of the mill Focus/Astra/Civic/308 etc, what I like to see is cars so exotic I will never have them.
    I dont think it is a poor entertanment programme as you say, (maybe not your thing), it sell througout the world and is agood earner for the BBC.
    But I didn't say it was a poor entertainment programme, just a useless car magazine programme.

And will there be another series of Fifth Gear or will it go the way of C4's Driven? (Or Drivel as it was fondly known.)

The three presenters are now playing to their TV cartoon characters a bit too much. It's fair to say this incarnation of Top Gear is nearer the end than the beginning, and the job is to land this plane with its dignity still intact. Not me saying that but Andy Wilman, the show's producer! Sorry, Andy you left it too late.
  • Sponsored links:

• Chunes said:

How much effort does it take to come up with a joke about a German, or a Pole, or a lazy Mexican? Let's be honest, it's not really comedy is it. It's just saying a stereotype and anyone can do that. It's so mindless that it's the type of humour that's so often satirised and used sarcastically these days, I'm amazed there's still people laughing at it. But then again, I'm amazed that people laugh at Mrs Browns Boys, maybe this is the same audience.

When Top Gear first got rebooted, I thought it was great. Over the years it has revealed itself to be formulaic and they've exhausted the premise. It's funny how as the show has got more and more shit, Clarkson has got more and more outspoken.

Whether you like his humour or not, the man is unarguably a 100% bell end.

More and more recently the jokes have got lazier and broader as they run out of fresh material, and the 'hilarious' accidents/incidents are getting ever more obviously staged. For a long time it was a genuinely funny program, but frankly these days I find the funniest one is the Stig.
  • cafcfan said:

cafcfan said:

WayneK said:

First, I'm a petrolhead.
    But I didn't say it was a poor entertainment programme, just a useless car magazine programme.

And will there be another series of Fifth Gear or will it go the way of C4's Driven? (Or Drivel as it was fondly known.)

The three presenters are now playing to their TV cartoon characters a bit too much. It's fair to say this incarnation of Top Gear is nearer the end than the beginning, and the job is to land this plane with its dignity still intact. Not me saying that but Andy Wilman, the show's producer! Sorry, Andy you left it too late.
    just an entertainment programme filmed in a shed. And a very poor one at that.
  • edited October 2014
    Clarkson is a total bell - agree with previous.
    This Argentina farce is so embarrassingly unfunny it beggars belief.
    How would the British public or Government feel if some high profile, Argie, has-been TV presenter came to our country and played a similar stunt - we'd throw them out after giving them a slap.
    A total Bell and, btw, me and the wife went to see Mrs Brown's Boys live at NEC Birmingham and it was very funny - guess that makes me a bell in the eyes of some!

• The BBC stopped classifying Top Gear as Factual about 7 years ago. It's now Entertainment, ie staged and principally to entertain, as opposed to inform.

I still watch it but the contrived scenes, like the hover van blowing the restaurant on the Thames, have no interest for me. Seeing reports on cars I normally only see on Gran Turismo, and roads I can plan trips to, are my main reason to keep watching. Oh and the factual set pieces like the British cars being parked down the Mall.

It'll keep going cos of all the Foreign rights fees and merchandise fees from Stig crap which the Beeb rakes in. I'm a little bit more informed than most, so it always makes me laugh when I see the latest piece of Stig related tut cos I know that there are, and always have been, many Stigs (depending on the type of driving required for each scene)...
  • edited October 2014
    . Edited. I would have had to flag myself.
  • cafcfan said:

cafcfan said:

WayneK said:

First, I'm a petrolhead.

just an entertainment programme filmed in a shed. And a very poor one at that.
    Ooops! Guilty as charged. (Must re-read posts, must re-read posts!)
  • . Edited. I would have had to flag myself.

Can you do that?
  • purdis said:

How would the British public or Government feel if some high profile, Argie, has-been TV presenter came to our country and played a similar stunt - we'd throw them out after giving them a slap.
    A total Bell and, btw, me and the wife went to see Mrs Brown's Boys live at NEC Birmingham and it was very funny - guess that makes me a bell in the eyes of some!

How do you know that it isn't funny? Have you seen the final programme? I haven't, I will reserve judgement until I have seen it.
    If the reverse happened, no we wouldn't rise up and stone them out of the country or give them a slap. Fact! as people like to say of CL.

• Clarkson just rubs against where the rational line is drawn on offensiveness and the irrational knee jerk shouts from those looking at every opportunity to feign being offended. Not saying he always gets it right, and I've given up watching Top Gear, but at least someone is attempting to hold the line against against the pompous minority making a career out of being offended on my behalf. I was mightily hurt when Clarkson many years ago stereotyped me as a gormless driver of a diesel engined car, and I had a caravan, but I got over it.
  • purdis said:

How do you know that it isn't funny? Have you seen the final programme? I haven't, I will reserve judgement until I have seen it.
    If the reverse happened, no we wouldn't rise up and stone them out of the country or give them a slap. Fact! as people like to say of CL.

Each to their own, eh?
    Where did I say we would stone them?
    Give them a slap was a metaphorical comment but I never had a problem with our local Bobby giving naughty boys a clip round the ear off camera.
    I find Mrs Brown's Boys funny - others don't.
    One thing's for sure, Clarkson is a Bell