Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.

Top Gear and "The Falklands"

Comments

• OK. If you say so. That is exactly how TV works.

#shakes head and prepares for trip to The Valley.
  • edited October 2014
    I thought it was a brilliant stunt made even funnier by Jes a pretending they didn't know.
    My message to Argentna is simple. If you can't take a joke about your humiliating defeat on you own door step; you shouldn't have started a war in the first place.
  • A publicity stunt, and I suspect that plenty of people in Argentina watch the show and are annoyed that the filming there was cancelled - Top Gear has incredible global appeal
  • Wake up sheeple.
  • I'm sorry, am I missing something? WTF does it matter if Clarkson's number plate says "IN 1982 WE SMASHED THE FASCIST LED ARMY WHO INVADED A LAND THAT WAS DEMOCRATICALLY UNDER THE RULE OF ANOTHER SOVEREIGN STATE AND REMAINS SO 32 YEARS LATER AGU 441S"?
  • You don't see the problem with a show made by our state broadcaster going to a foreign country and trying to antagonize them?
  • C_A_F_C said:

You don't see the problem with a show made by our state broadcaster going to a foreign country and trying to antagonize them?

Not in this case, no.
    And the BBC are hardly our state broadcaster, they may get funded by the state but they have a pretty free reign to do what they want. A lot of the time they wind me up but right behind them on this one, as if they knew!
  • Sponsored links:

• Abuse flag smudge? Strange.
  • It's Top Gear FFS! Get over it and then get over yourself!
  • I thought it was a brilliant stunt made even funnier by Jes a pretending they didn't know.
    My message to Argentna is simple. If you can't take a joke about your humiliating defeat on you own door step; you shouldn't have started a war in the first place.

It wasn't a war, it was a conflict............... ;-)
  • Of course Clarkson knew about the number plate.

They've done loads of this type of stuff before with number plates and the fake advertising on the cars they 'prepare' for racing'. Penistone Tyres is one I remember, that just spelt 'Penis' when the rear door was open.

If they'd got away with it, it wouldn't even have been mentioned on the programme - just a lot of people would have noticed and said "Oh my God - how did they get away with that"......... and smiled.

It's Clarkson. He's a shock jock FFS. It's what he does. And he's very good at it.
  • Wake up people.
    they weren't responsible for the car purchases nor the number plates.
    It is the editorial team behind it.
    Surely you guys realise this dont you?
    Blaming the presenters is like blaming that Scottish lady on BBC breakfast for bad weather.

True. Well sort of. Until 2012, Clarkson and the producer of the show, a long-time buddie of Clarkson's owned 50% of the rights to top Gear and made millions out of selling their share of the brand to the BBC. So, Clarkson, through his producer chum will be only too well aware of what is going on. The other two morons, I suspect, are just Clarkson's lackeys.

Hope the BBC ditch them soon, 5 years past their sell-by.

Wont happen. One of the BEEB's biggest exports.
    Unfortunately true. If only the rest of the world would grow out of this so-called show. It's market in the UK is surely now only pre-pubescent boys? All that silly contrived "race from A to B" stuff - you want to know who gets there first, every time? I'll tell you, it's the Ford Transit carrying the camera crew.

• They use Range Rovers for the cameras.
  • RedMist said:

redsek said:

Jeremy Clarkson number was a bit more obvious
    H982 FKL

And does anyone really believe that was a coincidence? Disregarding the politics of it all, this bafoon is going to get himself and his two sidekick mates lynched if he carries on like this. The wrongs and rights of it are irrelevant - you go to other people's countries and pull stunts like that then you deserve everything you get.
    Stoned apparently, had to abandon the cars at a checkpoint.

That happened to me once but in a whole different context.
    Checkpoint Charlie? :-)

• edited October 2014
    Addickted said:

They use Range Rovers for the cameras.

I apologise. :-) In that case, they won't get there first. It will be the breakdown trucks carrying the Rangies.

BTW, according to checks with the DVLA, the Porker still has 8 months tax on it. I guess the BBC will be getting it SORNed and claiming a refund just to take the pressure off their programme budget?
  • Sponsored links:

• Seems like a lot of fuss over nothing.
  • I personally really enjoy top gear.
  • Why were they there?
  • Redrobo said:

Why were they there?

So Jezza could wind up the Argies.
  • I personally really enjoy top gear.

So do I,Sunday night entertainment. There are hundreds of other channels to watch for that 1 hour 6 week season once a year. Unless you just watch Dave.
  • Hope the BBC ditch them soon, 5 years past their sell-by.

Wont happen. One of the BEEB's biggest exports.
    This.
    For example, in South Africa there is a channel virtually dedicated to Top Gear Repeats.
  • IAIA
    edited October 2014
    Childish publicity seekers seek publicity using childish stunt.

How is this news?

Although fair point made here about potential risks for backpackers in Buenos Aires
  • Could have been worse, the number plate could have read - G0TC4A
  • Seems like a lot of fuss over nothing.

On CL?

Never!