Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.

Top Gear and "The Falklands"

12345679»

Comments

• The issue with Top Gear isn't that people don't like watching it (a lot do, and I used to) but the fact they repeatedly make racial slurs (slope, Mexicans being lazy and eating food that's like vomit etc.), are deliberately provocative towards other countries (the Falklands incident the most recent) and that Clarkson is Katie Hopkins without makeup.

If they weren't so endlessly deliberately politically incorrect for the sake of it, it wouldn't be a problem - if you don't like it, don't watch it, I agree, however all the while Clarkson and his chums run around sniggering behind their hands at their tired jokes and perpetuating casual racism and encouraging "acceptable" xenophobia then I think it's every licence payers right to say they're not happy with that, whether they watch it or not.

Even if the Argies have a chip on their shoulder, and even if they over reacted, I still don't believe a programme funded by the British license fee payer should be the one waving the red rag in their faces.

Where you aware that the word slope was a racist term of abuse before that dopey bird complained about it?
    (Answer honestly !)
  • The issue with Top Gear isn't that people don't like watching it (a lot do, and I used to) but the fact they repeatedly make racial slurs (slope, Mexicans being lazy and eating food that's like vomit etc.), are deliberately provocative towards other countries (the Falklands incident the most recent) and that Clarkson is Katie Hopkins without makeup.

If they weren't so endlessly deliberately politically incorrect for the sake of it, it wouldn't be a problem - if you don't like it, don't watch it, I agree, however all the while Clarkson and his chums run around sniggering behind their hands at their tired jokes and perpetuating casual racism and encouraging "acceptable" xenophobia then I think it's every licence payers right to say they're not happy with that, whether they watch it or not.

Even if the Argies have a chip on their shoulder, and even if they over reacted, I still don't believe a programme funded by the British license fee payer should be the one waving the red rag in their faces.

Where you aware that the word slope was a racist term of abuse before that dopey bird complained about it?
    (Answer honestly !)
    Does it matter? I didn't know about it and this isn't me getting annoyed for the sake of it but they knew what they were saying. They're clever enough to insert these things though in a way that they won't get yanked off the air for it.
  • Errgh! Clarkson yanked off on air! Now that is untransmittable!
  • edited January 2015
    colthe3rd said:

The issue with Top Gear isn't that people don't like watching it (a lot do, and I used to) but the fact they repeatedly make racial slurs (slope, Mexicans being lazy and eating food that's like vomit etc.), are deliberately provocative towards other countries (the Falklands incident the most recent) and that Clarkson is Katie Hopkins without makeup.

(Answer honestly !)
    Does it matter? I didn't know about it and this isn't me getting annoyed for the sake of it but they knew what they were saying. They're clever enough to insert these things though in a way that they won't get yanked off the air for it.
    Of course it does. I think that colthe3rd is a racist term of abuse against Africans. Will you now apologise for your slur and change your name, or are you just a racist?
  • edited January 2015
    To Stu_of_Kunming and anyone else who actually believes that the ‘if you don’t like it, don’t watch it’ argument could possibly hold any water.

Actually, I think the answer for those of you who don't like the comments made about Top Gear on this thread is, don't read it.

Nothing on this thread is a surprise, you know what you're going to get when you click on. If someone knows they don't like that sort of thing, why read it? There must be plenty of other comments on the Charlton Life that you don't like, do you argue with the futility of people making those comments as well?

What I don't get is why you even clicked here in the first place, you must have known what it was going to be like, anti-Clarkson threads are hardly new here.
  • The "if you don't like it don't watch it" argument is false. (I haven't watched TG for years because it's dross.) But as a self-confessed petrolhead, it means that the BBC is failing to provide me with a quality motoring programme while filling its schedule with crap cooking or dancing shows. I am therefore not getting a good deal for my TV tax.
  • cafcfan said:

The "if you don't like it don't watch it" argument is false. (I haven't watched TG for years because it's dross.) But as a self-confessed petrolhead, it means that the BBC is failing to provide me with a quality motoring programme while filling its schedule with crap cooking or dancing shows. I am therefore not getting a good deal for my TV tax.

But the BBC would argue they make for the majority of viewers. And the majority like stuff thats not hard to think about and is easy on the eye. Hence cooking, dancing, property and quiz's.
    What would the format of a quality motoring be like? I might be wrong but is anyone really interested in the new family C sized car from Ford, Honda, Renualt,etc. There isn't enough new super cars made each year to make a specific type series. Very few people nowadays look at new cars as they did 30-40 years ago when TG might have been informative or a new car was some sort of status symbol.

We do have The Voice on the BBC to look forward to. ;-)
  • edited January 2015
    cafcfan said:

The "if you don't like it don't watch it" argument is false. (I haven't watched TG for years because it's dross.) But as a self-confessed petrolhead, it means that the BBC is failing to provide me with a quality motoring programme while filling its schedule with crap cooking or dancing shows. I am therefore not getting a good deal for my TV tax.

Not everyone will get good value when you have a consensus like the bbc. It is no different to the welfare system or NHS, a single bachelor in his twenties will probably get less from the system than a single mother with a disabled child. The bachelor will still use it at some point, if in later life or earlier.

Are there any good motor shows on the radio?
    Iggy pop recently said that most people who listen to music aren't really in to it. It is the same with tv, most people just want a distraction.
    TG is distraction tv at it's finest.
    Come see a place you'll never go, in a car you could never afford, acting in a manner you never could.
  • Tonight's episode had me crying with laughter. Delivering the dummy's to hospital was hilarious .
  • Sponsored links:

• One of the funniest episodes ever. Nothing to do with cars though really!
  • Did anyone notice the mugs they were using had Chilean flags on them? A little bit cheeky there.
  • foxjam said:

Did anyone notice the mugs they were using had Chilean flags on them? A little bit cheeky there.

First episode of the series they wore Chilean flags on their lapel!
  • Just loved Sunday's episode. Both me and the Mrs were crying with laughter. Brilliant stuff.