Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.

Rugby World Cup 2015

Comments

• Penalties have cost us.
  • Australia turning the ball over has cost us, we've been sloppy going forward.
  • The depressing thing about this is that indiscipline has cost us. We are not that far way from being a decent side.
  • Fucking awful
  • Ooo good... am sure its time for more money to be wasted on investigating why one of our National sides wasnt good enough at a competition rather than just stating we werent good enough this time and putting the money where it matters
  • Ouch. Outclassed. No disgrace to lose to the Aussies. Really blew our chance when we allowed Wales to turn us over.
  • Nowhere near clinical enough when it matters.
    So many sloppy passes and poor decisions made and lack of discipline again and again.
    You have to give the Aussies credit - they were class.
    Last week hurt more as we should never have lost that.
  • Absolutely mullered in the breakdown, particularly first half. Looked like we might have turned the tide second half when we got it back to 13-20 and the Aussies looked like they might be rattled but the wheels well and truly came off. In the end, just not good enough and that decision to go for touch right at the end vs the Welsh, although admirably brave, just looks all the more foolish now.

I have to say though, as only an occasional Rugby watcher, what constitutes a serious foul and what doesn't always baffles me. I understand what Farrell did was a foul, I'm not sure why it warranted a sin bin while the far more dangerous high tackle that happened right next to him went entirely unpunished.
  • Absolutely mullered in the breakdown, particularly first half. Looked like we might have turned the tide second half when we got it back to 13-20 and the Aussies looked like they might be rattled but the wheels well and truly came off. In the end, just not good enough and that decision to go for touch right at the end vs the Welsh, although admirably brave, just looks all the more foolish now.

I have to say though, as only an occasional Rugby watcher, what constitutes a serious foul and what doesn't always baffles me. I understand what Farrell did was a foul, I'm not sure why it warranted a sin bin while the far more dangerous high tackle that happened right next to him went entirely unpunished.

It could be argued that both deserved yellow cards, but the referee didn't fancy sin binning two players from the home team!

A dismal 2 performances these last 2 weeks, with the resources and players English rugby have, we've massively underperformed
  • Sponsored links:

• The athleticism in the game these days is incredible
  • Game is v dangerous - players getting fitter and bigger. Don't really like the way the game is going....
  • edited October 2015
    LenGlover said:

The depressing thing about this is that indiscipline has cost us. We are not that far way from being a decent side.

you must be joking or VERY short sited .. that was SHAMBOLIC .. The whole coaching team and at least half of the playing squad are just not 'fit for purpose'
  • edited October 2015

Game is v dangerous - players getting fitter and bigger. Don't really like the way the game is going....

that's why Gridiron and Rugby League evolved .. Union with fifteen players and the ridiculous loose ruck and maul laws with players being taken out off the ball was OK as an amateur sport .. now, with huge men playing and big money at stake, the laws need a wholesale revision
  • edited October 2015
    Decided to watch my first ever Rugby match tonight, never really interested me but thought why not, could do with some sport to distract me from things at Charlton being so depressing........
  • embarrassed to be English.

Steve McLarenesque.
  • edited October 2015

LenGlover said:

The depressing thing about this is that indiscipline has cost us. We are not that far way from being a decent side.

you must be joking or VERY short sited .. that was SHAMBOLIC .. The whole coaching team and at least half of the playing squad are just not 'fit for purpose'
    Penalties were a big factor both tonight and last week. We were in a position to win last week before indiscipline got us. Tonight he got the front row selection wrong and the resulting penalties cost us meaning that the damage was done going in 17-3 down at half time. It was always going to be hard to come back from that. We actually got it back to 20-13 and then once again indiscipline kicked in to kick us in the knackers.

Cut out the stupid penalties and that side would be capable of reaching the semi finals at the very least.

Hence my comment.

• Bollocks. I'm going to cop pelters when I fly back to oz next week.
  • Giving away mickey mouse penalties has been our downfall for years now. Australia deserved that no bones about it but we were pretty dismal
  • Sponsored links:

• edited October 2015
    I felt our biggest barrier was Wales and Australia had better leaders on the pitch. Marginally, but that is enough in tight games. Big turning point was not claiming the advantage to go 6-3 up. The Aussies got a try very soon afterwards. Surely it isn't tactical genius to know the benefit of edging in front in potentially tight games.

Positional kicking was far superior for the Aussies too. And whilst England were running through them, this often left the runner exposed when tackled and far easier to turnover. The sad thing is, England could have won this world cup but it is small margins. Since the football world cup, England has competed in the cricket and rugby world cup and failed to get out of the group stages in all!
  • I felt our biggest barrier was Wales and Australia had better leaders on the pitch. Marginally, but that is enough in tight games. Big turning point was not claiming the advantage to go 6-3 up. The Aussies got a try very soon afterwards. Surely it isn't tactical genius to know the benefit of edging in front in potentially tight games.

Positional kicking was far superior for the Aussies too. And whilst England were running through them, this often left the runner exposed when tackled and far easier to turnover. The sad thing is, England could have won this world cup but it is small margins. Since the football world cup, England has competed in the cricket and rugby world cup and failed to get out of the group stages in all!

And let's be honest cricket and rugby is only really played by commonwealth countries with a few extra added in. It's an embarrassment beyond belief.
  • Just gutted that minor nations with huge chips on their shoulders are crowing like cockerels with hard ons over England's defeat, and then 90% of them will be claiming allegiance to an English football team while sitting in the pub this afternoon...(I do not include Addicks or Cottagers in this).
  • Just gutted that minor nations with huge chips on their shoulders are crowing like cockerels with hard ons over England's defeat, and then 90% of them will be claiming allegiance to an English football team while sitting in the pub this afternoon...(I do not include Addicks or Cottagers in this).

And those English Prem fans of Man U , Chelsea, Liv etc who say they dont care about England .

And those English Prem fans of Man U , Chelsea, Liv etc who say they dont care about England .
    Nail on head mate, nail on head! :smile:
  • Its a well known phrase these days... People are English when they want to be
  • edited October 2015
    Farrell just like Warburton in the last WC will have to bounce back.
    after being carded. (red for Sam)

A year ago we thought Dylan Hartley, Manu Tuilagi, Steffon Armitage(lost in France) would be in the squad but because of discipline and The French rule,
    3 more players were lost to the cause. how ironic that Discipline cost us big time against Wales( 10 pens conceded) but we were totally outclassed on the day by the Aussies who were so calm and looked like winners from the first whistle.

I suspect you can take Chelsea out of that list shortly!
  • I'm an Irishman, but certainly not crowing about England crashing out. It's been a great tournament so far. Despite some of the ticket prices, there have been some great attendances and a brilliant atmosphere at the games and it would have been all the richer had England at least made it to the quarter-finals.

I'd say that this isn't the time to micro-analyse and pull the team apart. Enjoy putting on a great tournament and give some time to think it through.

That said, sounds like there's a press conference slated for 10am and Lancaster could be stepping down.
  • TelMc32 said:

I'm an Irishman, but certainly not crowing about England crashing out. It's been a great tournament so far. Despite some of the ticket prices, there have been some great attendances and a brilliant atmosphere at the games and it would have been all the richer had England at least made it to the quarter-finals.

I'd say that this isn't the time to micro-analyse and pull the team apart. Enjoy putting on a great tournament and give some time to think it through.

That said, sounds like there's a press conference slated for 10am and Lancaster could be stepping down.

let's hope so .. if not he should be sacked along with his coaching (so rumour has it) staff