Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.

Rugby World Cup 2015

Comments

• We keep being told what football can learn from rugby. Well despite FIFA's drawing-pin-in-a-piece-of-paper ranking system, I think the egg chasers can learn about seeding and competition draws.

Hosts are seeds, always.

That aside, how could France be in pot 1 and England not?

Since 2010 England have finished above France in the six nations six times out of seven. Head to head over the same period it's 5 England wins to 4 France.

In the world rankings, since September 2011 France have been above England and in the top four for just seven months, the last time until the past couple of weeks being January 2013. even today, with England at an all time low in 8th, France have exactly the same ranking score, although they are above England in the table for reasons I really can't be bothered to find out.

Staging a draw almost three years before the competition is due to start is beyond parody, especially given the facts above.
  • We keep being told what football can learn from rugby. Well despite FIFA's drawing-pin-in-a-piece-of-paper ranking system, I think the egg chasers can learn about seeding and competition draws.

Hosts are seeds, always.

Since 2010 England have finished above France in the six nations six times out of seven. Head to head over the same period it's 5 England wins to 4 France.

In the world rankings, since September 2011 France have been above England and in the top four for just seven months, the last time until the past couple of weeks being January 2013. even today, with England at an all time low in 8th, France have exactly the same ranking score, although they are above England in the table for reasons I really can't be bothered to find out.

Staging a draw almost three years before the competition is due to start is beyond parody, especially given the facts above.

Mate, the competition goes on for about 28 weeks, its a bore-fest.

We keep being told how hard rugby players are, play every 3 or 4 days then. You don't need a week off.
  • France were in the last RWC final.

Hosts should be seeds, especially if there's only one host.

Staging the draw early is very strange.
  • Ireland were superb on Sunday, the French never came close to winning. It will be a monster game against Argentina and despite what I typed above, Ireland must be favourites now to get into the semis along with Australia, South Africa and New Zealand, despite possibly losing three experienced regulars including Capn. O'Connell.
    The Irish squad is united, talented, committed AND wonderfully well managed and coached. Compare with hapless, disunited, clueless and terribly coached England, Rumour has it that the Duke of Lancaster and his absolutely fucking useless staff, namely Father Farrell, Woodenhead Rowntree and Back Alley Catt will all be retained. Only in England could a lack of any modicum of talent and an absolutely rubbish record be so unjustly rewarded.
  • Ireland were superb on Sunday, the French never came close to winning. It will be a monster game against Argentina and despite what I typed above, Ireland must be favourites now to get into the semis along with Australia, South Africa and New Zealand, despite possibly losing three experienced regulars including Capn. O'Connell.
    The Irish squad is united, talented, committed AND wonderfully well managed and coached. Compare with hapless, disunited, clueless and terribly coached England, Rumour has it that the Duke of Lancaster and his absolutely fucking useless staff, namely Father Farrell, Woodenhead Rowntree and Back Alley Catt will all be retained. Only in England could a lack of any modicum of talent and an absolutely rubbish record be so unjustly rewarded.

Surely not,that would be crazy ...which means it will probably happen I suppose.

Add to those three O'Brien. His man of the match performance could be his last as he was cited for the first minute punch on Pape. Hearing is tomorrow, but I'd be surprised if it isn't at least a one game ban.

Couldn't see any mitigating aggro from Pape. Only thing in his favour was that it was open hand, rather than fist. God knows what damage he would have done if he'd hit him properly!

Hosts are seeds, always.

Mate, the competition goes on for about 28 weeks, its a bore-fest.

We keep being told how hard rugby players are, play every 3 or 4 days then. You don't need a week off.
    Perhaps it's the intensity and physical nature of the game that requires the rest and recovery ? They are monsters these days and getting hit by one if them must smart a bit.
  • O'Brien was immense yesterday, gotta feel for O'Connell what a way to finish your international career.Also bad news for Munster in European Cup.
  • O'Brien was immense yesterday, gotta feel for O'Connell what a way to finish your international career.Also bad news for Munster in European Cup.

O'Connell is off to Toulon for next season
  • Sponsored links:

• yer read that this morning but O'Mahoney out for Munster is a big miss as well.
  • yer read that this morning but O'Mahoney out for Munster is a big miss as well.

True, forgot about O'Mahoney.

Losing O'Brien (as is expected) and O'Mahoney from a back row is massive. Fingers crossed O'Brien only gets a week ban so he's back for the semi, should they get past the Argies. Suspect he'll be out for 3/4 weeks though.
  • edited October 2015
    TelMc32 said:

Ireland were superb on Sunday, the French never came close to winning. It will be a monster game against Argentina and despite what I typed above, Ireland must be favourites now to get into the semis along with Australia, South Africa and New Zealand, despite possibly losing three experienced regulars including Capn. O'Connell.

Add to those three O'Brien. His man of the match performance could be his last as he was cited for the first minute punch on Pape. Hearing is tomorrow, but I'd be surprised if it isn't at least a one game ban.

Couldn't see any mitigating aggro from Pape. Only thing in his favour was that it was open hand, rather than fist. God knows what damage he would have done if he'd hit him properly!
    None at all - don't you read the social media quotes from anti-football rugger buggers telling you how incredibly tough the players are compared with footballers, Tel?
  • On a different note...I've just spotted the resemblance between Aussie second row, Dean Mumm, and a certain Dale Stephens....

Anyone else see it?!
  • The verdict is in and O'Brien has been banned for one week, which was reduced from two weeks because of his previous disciplinary record.
  • The verdict is in and O'Brien has been banned for one week, which was reduced from two weeks because of his previous disciplinary record.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/0/rugby-union/34510438
    Scotland have Ford and Gray banned for the rest of the tournament. But then as they're playing Australia, a one match ban would have had the same effect!
  • On a different note...I've just spotted the resemblance between Aussie second row, Dean Mumm, and a certain Dale Stephens....

Anyone else see it?!

Thought he wanted to go North? Brighton was one thing, but Australia?!
  • i cant believe this tournament is still on. Theres only about 6 countries who are any good, surely it could have been sorted out over a fortnight and let Rugger get back to being supported by fifty people and a dog. If it wasnt for the Times dedicating page after page on it you would never know it hadnt finished.

The citings and consequent bans handed out have been the one terrible aspect of this world cup. The difference between the Tier 1 and 2 teams is shocking.

O'Brien gets a week for a punch, Hooper gets a week for a deliberate no arms clear out, and Pocock gets away with a deliberate knee. Meanwhile Tuilagi of Samoa gets 5 weeks for running into someone. Complete joke.

Don't get me wrong I'm happy O'Brien only got a week, as want Ireland to do well, but it is highly biased.
  • Was Hooper the take out of Brown ?

How did the ref miss that and what would a yellow card have meant to the result at that time ?
  • Sponsored links:

http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/0/rugby-union/34510438
    Scotland have Ford and Gray banned for the rest of the tournament. But then as they're playing Australia, a one match ban would have had the same effect!
    if they do lose to Australia everyone can get back to supporting Eng...land... oh...

:wink:
  • Halix said:

i cant believe this tournament is still on. Theres only about 6 countries who are any good, surely it could have been sorted out over a fortnight and let Rugger get back to being supported by fifty people and a dog. If it wasnt for the Times dedicating page after page on it you would never know it hadnt finished.

This adds so much to the Rugby World Cup thread, I can easily see why Henry has 'Liked' it.
  • edited October 2015
    Sorry, ARTHUR, Sorry what I meant to say,-

Thank goodness this tournament is still on, I have no idea that New Zealand will win it. It is a good job it wasnt possible to play it over just a fortnight, because the MASSIVE tv audiences (4.1 Million for England at prime time saturday on ITV!) will have nothing else to watch and talk about wherever you go. If only the Times and other papers could promote it better, then even more people will be watching it and then reporting favorably (and apparantly only positively) on a FOOTBALL forum site.

I think thats what I meant, sorry for the earlier draft.
  • PL54 said:

Was Hooper the take out of Brown ?

How did the ref miss that and what would a yellow card have meant to the result at that time ?

Yeh it was. And makes it even more annoying that he got a week ban for it, so effectively the panel saying it is a yellow card offence. If he'd been carded then god knows what would have happened, but I'd bet it would have made our task rather easier!
  • So I get it, my negative comments are not welcome by the Rugby police. Is it only acceptable to be favourable to Rugby in order to participate in a conversation? Am I wrong to comment that the tournament is far too long and could have been more interesting and relevant if it was held over a shorter period?

• Halix said:

So I get it, my negative comments are not welcome by the Rugby police. Is it only acceptable to be favourable to Rugby in order to participate in a conversation? Am I wrong to comment that the tournament is far too long and could have been more interesting and relevant if it was held over a shorter period?

Re-read your reply to Arthur, and try and tell me that was meant in a constructive, not sarcastic way. Then maybe try and make your point again properly, and people may listen.
  • Both the England Wales and England Australia matches drew in audiences of more than 10m.

1.8m people have attended live games so far, with 95% of tickets sold out (at high prices too for many matches)

Slightly more than 50 people and a dog...
  • Grapevine coming up trumps once again with the post of the thread.