Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.

Rugby World Cup 2015

Comments

• I find it rather sad anyone with a sporting interest does not appreciate the sporting endeavour on display at this Rugby World Cup.

Rugby may not be your game but it is the game of millions of people round the world who have as much right to watch their "heroes" perform on a world stage. It is a team sport and at the highest level a very competitive physically and mentally demanding sport capable of producing moments of great excitement and no little skill.

I would have thought most followers of any team sport would have at least gained something from watching a comparable sport, but maybe it just says more about the modern day football fan. Certainly the idea such a physically demanding sporting competition being completed within 2 weeks shows a glaring lack of knowledge of the game.

In terms of popularity I believe that attendances for the pool games achieved 95% of ticket availability.

In terms of sporting excellence the physicality of the modern professional rugby union game is without question. The level of dedication and competitive spirit shown by the players of the leading nations in developing the physique, speed and/or strength to play with such ferocity is worthy of appreciation alone.

All for a fraction of the financial reward available in other sports.

The catalogue of mounting injuries is testimony the brutality of some of the games. Wales alone for example has had 10 injury withdrawals from their competition training squad.

The technical skills and flair on display, some from even the tier 2 squads have been similarly impressive generating displays of attacking rugby and impressive ball skills.

For me it has been one of the best festivals of team sport in recent memory.

It is just a huge shame the English coaching set up pulled back from "attacking" the competition in favour of more defensive approach. With the right selections they could have done very well.

OR.....

You just don't like rugby.
  • edited October 2015

Halix said:

So I get it, my negative comments are not welcome by the Rugby police. Is it only acceptable to be favourable to Rugby in order to participate in a conversation? Am I wrong to comment that the tournament is far too long and could have been more interesting and relevant if it was held over a shorter period?

Re-read your reply to Arthur, and try and tell me that was meant in a constructive, not sarcastic way. Then maybe try and make your point again properly, and people may listen.
    Arthur essentially said that as my comment wasn't positive it wasnt welcome, I therefore amended it to the required positive comment. I think I am perfectly entitled to make a comment that in MY opinion I feel that this tournament is far too long, especially when it is held on a Football forum where maybe not everyone is a fan of Rugby.
  • Halix said:

Halix said:

So I get it, my negative comments are not welcome by the Rugby police. Is it only acceptable to be favourable to Rugby in order to participate in a conversation? Am I wrong to comment that the tournament is far too long and could have been more interesting and relevant if it was held over a shorter period?

Re-read your reply to Arthur, and try and tell me that was meant in a constructive, not sarcastic way. Then maybe try and make your point again properly, and people may listen.
    Arthur essentially said that as my comment wasn't positive I therefore amended it to the required positive comment. I think I am perfectly entitled to make a comment that in MY opinion I feel that this tournament is far too long, especially when it is held on a Football forum where maybe not everyone is a fan of Rugby.
    Strange person
  • edited October 2015
    Big_Bob said:

Halix said:

Halix said:

Arthur essentially said that as my comment wasn't positive I therefore amended it to the required positive comment. I think I am perfectly entitled to make a comment that in MY opinion I feel that this tournament is far too long, especially when it is held on a Football forum where maybe not everyone is a fan of Rugby.
    Strange person
    Thats me nailed, a non-Rugby fan on a Football forum, I must be really wierd.
  • I find it rather sad anyone with a sporting interest does not appreciate the sporting endeavour on display at this Rugby World Cup.

Rugby may not be your game but it is the game of millions of people round the world who have as much right to watch their "heroes" perform on a world stage. It is a team sport and at the highest level a very competitive physically and mentally demanding sport capable of producing moments of great excitement and no little skill.

I would have thought most followers of any team sport would have at least gained something from watching a comparable sport, but maybe it just says more about the modern day football fan. Certainly the idea such a physically demanding sporting competition being completed within 2 weeks shows a glaring lack of knowledge of the game.

In terms of popularity I believe that attendances for the pool games achieved 95% of ticket availability.

In terms of sporting excellence the physicality of the modern professional rugby union game is without question. The level of dedication and competitive spirit shown by the players of the leading nations in developing the physique, speed and/or strength to play with such ferocity is worthy of appreciation alone.

All for a fraction of the financial reward available in other sports.

The catalogue of mounting injuries is testimony the brutality of some of the games. Wales alone for example has had 10 injury withdrawals from their competition training squad.

The technical skills and flair on display, some from even the tier 2 squads have been similarly impressive generating displays of attacking rugby and impressive ball skills.

For me it has been one of the best festivals of team sport in recent memory.

It is just a huge shame the English coaching set up pulled back from "attacking" the competition in favour of more defensive approach. With the right selections they could have done very well.

Why do you feel sad that not everyone shares your view? And what do you think it says about the 'modern day football' fan?

As a modern day football fan I have watched more rugby over the last few weeks ( at least 2 hours) than in the last 30 years put together. I try to watch more but it is just too boring (IMHO) with too many rules (even the experts are not sure what particular ruling the ref or the TV refs are going to make on minor infractions) played by implausibly and comedic steroid induced muscle bound cartoon characters you would not see in any other sport apart from the non-sport of world wrestling.

I, like the vast majority of sports fans in the world, find rugby a massive turn-off. But that should not impact the many millions who obviously love the sport. I don't feel sad when I hear/read non-football fans slag off football. I get the impression that this World Cup has been a massive success. Great. But it grates when I read derogatory comments about modern day football fans because they are not all getting euphoric about this rugby World Cup.
  • Halix said:

Halix said:

Arthur essentially said that as my comment wasn't positive it wasnt welcome, I therefore amended it to the required positive comment. I think I am perfectly entitled to make a comment that in MY opinion I feel that this tournament is far too long, especially when it is held on a Football forum where maybe not everyone is a fan of Rugby.
    You do realise that this thread is opened under the "Other Football & Sports" category don't you???

You must have missed that we have a couple of non-football threads running now and again. :wink:
  • England going out at the group stage really hasn't helped things, for me I am a huge fan and I've enjoyed having it on although would be good if there were matches on weekdays, as its quite a wait or even the quarters have Friday Saturday Sunday and Monday.
  • Halix said:

i cant believe this tournament is still on. Theres only about 6 countries who are any good, surely it could have been sorted out over a fortnight and let Rugger get back to being supported by fifty people and a dog. If it wasnt for the Times dedicating page after page on it you would never know it hadnt finished.

how many nations have a realistic chance of winning the Football (Association version) World Cup ? .. probably no more than your example of 6
  • Halix said:

i cant believe this tournament is still on. Theres only about 6 countries who are any good, surely it could have been sorted out over a fortnight and let Rugger get back to being supported by fifty people and a dog. If it wasnt for the Times dedicating page after page on it you would never know it hadnt finished.

how many nations have a realistic chance of winning the Football (Association version) World Cup ? .. probably no more than your example of 6
    Brazil, Italy, Argentina, Uruguay, Chile, Colombia, France, Spain, Italy, Germany, Holland, Belgium, Portugal, England (dont laugh)
  • Holland ? .. you're avin a larf .. back to the drawing board methinks .. and you're making it up as you go along .. REALISTIC I asked, not daydreaming possibilities
  • Sponsored links:

• Halix said:

Brazil, Italy, Argentina, Uruguay, Chile, Colombia, France, Spain, Italy, Germany, Holland, Belgium, Portugal, England (dont laugh)
    The usual suspects.
  • Halix said:

Be serious
  • In 8 competitions, 5 teams have won the RWC

In 20 competitions, 8 teams have won the FAWC
  • Holland ? .. you're avin a larf .. back to the drawing board methinks .. and you're making it up as you go along .. REALISTIC I asked, not daydreaming possibilities

ah yes...the dutch...3 times runners-up...ridiculous suggestion.

runners up sums it up .. AND the Netherlands have just finished fourth in their qualifying group for the European Championship .. hardly a form horse I would think .. but if you think so .. it's a free(ish) country
  • TelMc32 said:

Halix said:

Halix said:

You do realise that this thread is opened under the "Other Football & Sports" category don't you???

You must have missed that we have a couple of non-football threads running now and again. :wink:
    Did you actually read my post? I was commenting that just because I was not fully supportive of the RWC my comments were not appreciated, and not that we shouldn't DISCUSS it on a football forum.
  • PL54 said:

In 8 competitions, 5 teams have won the RWC

Can someone post the stats for the number of different countries to reach the last 4 in the different WC comps. I would but not at my PC at the moment.

runners up sums it up .. AND the Netherlands have just finished fourth in their qualifying group for the European Championship .. hardly a form horse I would think .. but if you think so .. it's a free(ish) country
    we obviously arent tlaking about form are we. We are talking about teams records in the competition, who has realisitically ever had a chance of winning the World Cup in either sport. Holland have made 3 finals.
  • PL54 said:

In 8 competitions, only 8 teams have ever reached a RWC semi-final.

In 20 competitions, 23 different teams have reached a FAWC semi-final.
  • edited October 2015
    PL54 said:

1987 was the first Rugby World Cup and there have been seven competitions in total (this is the eighth), with 4 different winners (Australia / South Africa / England / New Zealand)

In the last eight Football World Cups there have been six different winners... (Argentina / Germany / Brazil / Italy / France / Spain), with seven winners if you want to state that Germany and West Germany are separate countries

In Rugby, France are the only other team to have reached a final other than those four teams...

In Football you can include the Dutch whilst Croatia / Turkey / Sweden have finished third and Portugal / Bulgaria / South Korea / Uruguay have finished fourth
  • Sponsored links:

• 'Be Serious'
  • PL54 said:

It's a given that very few nations play Rugby Union to a high level, I would say just nine and that includes a currently rubbish England .. I would argue again that very few nations, especially given the world wide popularity of Association Football (hundreds of countries, FIFA has 209 members), have a REALISTIC chance of WINNING the AFC World Cup .. Comparing Rugby Union with Association Football is like comparing apples with oranges .. I went to a Rugby playing school which was located in the heart of the east end, Stepney E1 .. it is a fallacy that only posh boys at posh schools play the game .. check out the AFC World Cup winners and losers on this wiki site .. the same names over and over again ..https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_FIFA_World_Cup_finals
  • Rugby is a joke sport.
    1. Georgia ask's every year for the six nations countries to play them every year its rejected.
    2. 12 years ago the olympics wanted to include rugby and asked the top 8 nations in the world to help the smaller nations develop. Ireland, Scotland and Wales point blank refused, because they wanted to safeguard their position in the worlds top eight.
    3. Argentina asked to join the 5 nations years ago and were point blankly refused even though all their players play in europe and Brussells or Madrid would have been their home. All the six nations countrys play Argentina in Freindlys every year anyway.
    4. Why was the draw made 3 years before the start of the tournament? meaning when it actually started Australia, England and Wales were all in the worlds top 4.

There is loads more reasons....

• PL54 said:

It's a given that very few nations play Rugby Union to a high level, I would say just nine and that includes a currently rubbish England .. I would argue again that very few nations, especially given the world wide popularity of Association Football (hundreds of countries, FIFA has 209 members), have a REALISTIC chance of WINNING the AFC World Cup .. Comparing Rugby Union with Association Football is like comparing apples with oranges .. I went to a Rugby playing school which was located in the heart of the east end, Stepney E1 .. it is a fallacy that only posh boys at posh schools play the game .. check out the AFC World Cup winners and losers on this wiki site .. the same names over and over again ..https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_FIFA_World_Cup_finals
    It was you that mentioned football in the first place!!!!!!!
  • edited October 2015

PL54 said:

It was you that mentioned football in the first place!!!!!!!</</b>blockquote>

look again !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! .. oh no it wasn't ((:>).. or perhaps it was ,, anyway I AM RIGHT ((:>)
  • Halix said:

TelMc32 said:

Halix said:

Halix said:

Did you actually read my post? I was commenting that just because I was not fully supportive of the RWC my comments were not appreciated, and not that we shouldn't DISCUSS it on a football forum.
    I did read your comment. I found the "I feel that this tournament is far too long, especially when it is held on a Football forum" part a little confusing, but apart from that I feel OK with my response thanks :smile:
  • Just got hold of a ticket for Saturday - boom!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
  • The verdict is in and O'Brien has been banned for one week, which was reduced from two weeks because of his previous disciplinary record.

Hearing that there were slightly more mitigating circumstances than that. It would appear that Pape (the Frenchie), stuck his pinky in O'Brien's pooper!!

Those crazy rugby guys hey!!
  • Great pity about O'Connell and O'Brien .. BUT .. the Ooooolster Hs, Henderson (One of Europe's most promising forwards) and Henry will do a great job .. I am gradually convincing myself that Ireland can win this thing ((:>)
  • Great pity about O'Connell and O'Brien .. BUT .. the Ooooolster Hs, Henderson (One of Europe's most promising forwards) and Henry will do a great job .. I am gradually convincing myself that Ireland can win this thing ((:>)

Agreed Lincs. sad for POC especially, having to bow out this way. Hopefully, O'Brien will be back for the semi, but I am very wary of the Argentinians.

No problems with the Ulster boys coming in. Henderson has been the successor in waiting to O'Connell for a while and both are class players. With Donnacha Ryan in and the camp talking up Sexton's chance of playing, it's not all gloomy.

Surprised they haven't called anyone up for Jared Payne, but I think you only get the chance for one replacement and Schmidt is, rightly, not playing his hand yet.