Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Christophe Lepoint to sign ? (ed. Signed)

Comments

• Options
    edited January 2015
    vff said:

Simonsen said:

welcome Christophe .. just what we've needed for a long time .. a tall and (hopefully) powerful midfielder .. recent signings are all good so far .. keep up the good work the CAFC 'purchasing team'

He could be the new Dick Tydeman....
    I had exactly the same thought earlier today .. great minds think alike ((:>)
    Vaguely remember him, was he consistently any good and what division where we at the time and what position. ?
    Signed from Gillingham, I liked him as a skilful midfielder during a yo-yo period between the second and third divisions (now champ and 1st). I was abroad for a long time during this period and only saw a few games a season when I was back home. Not a prolific scorer, more a 'go to man' in midfield. A powerful runner hard to shake off the ball. Was a key man in not particularly outstanding CAFC teams during that era. Graham Moore, who, if you are too young to remember Tydeman, you won't recall either ((:>) was a similar player. A more recent example ? .. Mortimer (not that recent) or imagine a bigger version, though not quite so good, Scott Parker
  • Options
    ghentfan said:

really funny forum this :-)

just use christophe for what he can do (character, fighting spirit, power, good head, leadership) and not for what he can't do (passing, creativity, technical skills, speed) , and you'll be alright

Christophe is of course French speaking, but because of his loyal mentality he was really popular with us

no, he has never been the same since his accident and his international career was long gone: to still call him a "Belgian international" in an era when all our internationals play in Europe's top teams is a bit ridiculous

to the people who think that the Championship level is better than the Belgian top level: come on! the very modest team of Lokeren eliminated Premier club Hull City quite easily in the European Cup
    Anderlecht played 3-3 in Arsenal, and lost at home only because of bad luck
    players like watt, moussa, buyens, vetokele... were not at all a success in Belgium

I challenge you to enter the network and find out ... we meet in a tournament to the death proceeded over by the Master Roland Duchatelet every summer, the location is unknown but must be proceeded over on the stadia of one of the network clubs from the UK to Outer Mongolia (Sponsored by Phillips, for all your electrical needs) ... We shall see how big and tough you are then my friend .....

Details below

http://www.philipsstayencup.com/en

Please consult your local GP before entering
  • Options
    ghentfan said:

just use christophe for what he can do (character, fighting spirit, power, good head, leadership) and not for what he can't do (passing, creativity, technical skills, speed) , and you'll be alright

Christophe is of course French speaking, but because of his loyal mentality he was really popular with us

no, he has never been the same since his accident and his international career was long gone: to still call him a "Belgian international" in an era when all our internationals play in Europe's top teams is a bit ridiculous

to the people who think that the Championship level is better than the Belgian top level: come on! the very modest team of Lokeren eliminated Premier club Hull City quite easily in the European Cup
    players like watt, moussa, buyens, vetokele... were not at all a success in Belgium

I guess at the same time though these are one off European fixtures... I did "like" your comment so dont want you thinking am not taking the piss out of the Belgian League BUT.

European matches are a lot slower than the Premier League, you seem to get more time to think on the ball (regardless if its the Champions League or Europa League) whilst over here the top flight is an extremely fast game, you've got to think ahead of the ball else you'll never reach it on time and maybe the likes of Anderlecht or Lokeren could hold their own in some matches but it takes its toll over a season.

If Belgium and England merged into one League I'd probably put the likes of Anderlecht and Standard Liege on a par with Everton / Newcastle / Southampton whilst most other teams I'd put on a par with the relegation Candidates in the Premier League maybe even top half of the Championship, yet saying that on the other hand if Anderlecht or Liege came and played in England they'd eventually reap the financial rewards (partly the reason why am sure Roland has brought Charlton) and they'd probably climb the league standings.
  • Options

ghentfan said:

I guess at the same time though these are one off European fixtures... I did "like" your comment so dont want you thinking am not taking the piss out of the Belgian League BUT.

European matches are a lot slower than the Premier League, you seem to get more time to think on the ball (regardless if its the Champions League or Europa League) whilst over here the top flight is an extremely fast game, you've got to think ahead of the ball else you'll never reach it on time and maybe the likes of Anderlecht or Lokeren could hold their own in some matches but it takes its toll over a season.

If Belgium and England merged into one League I'd probably put the likes of Anderlecht and Standard Liege on a par with Everton / Newcastle / Southampton whilst most other teams I'd put on a par with the relegation Candidates in the Premier League maybe even top half of the Championship, yet saying that on the other hand if Anderlecht or Liege came and played in England they'd eventually reap the financial rewards (partly the reason why am sure Roland has brought Charlton) and they'd probably climb the league standings.
    most of what you say, is true
    but:
    - standard liege is not so strong anymore (one of the reasons Duchatelet is hated by the fans there); Bruges is at the moment the best team in Belgium
    - i would guess that Bruges and Anderlecht would finish between places 9 and 14 in the Premier League; teams like Gent, Standard and Genk between places 13 and 18
    - the pace in Belgian football is certainly slower, but the technical and tactical skills are quite good, in the slipstream of our internationals who all play in the top of the Premier League or in the Bundesliga, Primera Division...
  • Options
    The Jupiler league is very different to the Championship in that there are only 16 clubs and the bottom half might compare to the bottom six in the Championship? But the top five clubs would be in the FAPL or very top of the Championship.
    So there are far less games and many of them not so challenging for the top clubs. The skill is there but Belgian players aren't playing 46 games. Over here there are no easy games. So bottom line is we need more talent and more depth.

I'm all for blending our academy with decent talent from the Jupiler League and Eredivisie (plus Denmark and elsewhere) but our issue is that there have been some poor loans and signings together with a refusal to fill obvious gaps. This might have been due to judgement errors or to stick to budget on salaries or perhaps not wanting to move too quickly. More likely there is a simple aversion to paying the going rate for better players.

I really appreciate comments from Belgium but these people need to be aware that we believe our club should be a much better team by now. Not one which is fighting not to sink into a relegation battle. The problem is that we've had some players who were never going to work and yet people know the owner can easily afford to get better talent in.

Add to that the fact that Jose Riga built a winning team from a poor squad but was replaced by Peeters and this explains the suspicions about all things Belgian! So @ghentfan and others please forgive.

The reality is M.Duchatelet refuses to explain the plan or vision and a promising set of signings last summer has not been followed up. No one is clear what it might cost to give us a crack at the top but you probably know that the prize for reaching the FAPL is €120m per year media rights and another €100m guaranteed even if a club comes straight back down.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    Anderlecht would win the Championship. That's the only Belgian team I'd be comfortable saying that about though.
  • Options
    edited January 2015
    ghentfan said:

ghentfan said:

but:
    - standard liege is not so strong anymore (one of the reasons Duchatelet is hated by the fans there); Bruges is at the moment the best team in Belgium
    - i would guess that Bruges and Anderlecht would finish between places 9 and 14 in the Premier League; teams like Gent, Standard and Genk between places 13 and 18
    - the pace in Belgian football is certainly slower, but the technical and tactical skills are quite good, in the slipstream of our internationals who all play in the top of the Premier League or in the Bundesliga, Primera Division...
    Standard Liege is not so strong anymore (one of the reasons Duchatelet is hated by the fans there); Bruges is at the moment the best team in Belgium
    Is that based on this season alone..? - Surely Anderlecht are still the strongest side because when you get to your Play-Offs anything can still happen?

I would guess that Bruges and Anderlecht would finish between places 9 and 14 in the Premier League; teams like Gent, Standard and Genk between places 13 and 18
    Where would you place a team like Lierse or Waasland-Beveren (Who occupy the Relegation spots?), then you've a team like Saint-Truden possibly coming up, where would you place those in England?

the pace in Belgian football is certainly slower, but the technical and tactical skills are quite good, in the slipstream of our internationals who all play in the top of England / Germany / Spain...
    Agree with this although its like with English players, when they're in their club squads the likes of Rooney / Hazard all look brilliant when they're surrounded like other countrymen like de Maria or Fabregas, you then stick them in their own team solely with their fellow countrymen and then they dont look so good, this is whats a problem here in England I think at the moment, everyone jumps on the bandwagon saying Sterling / Rooney are class and are going to rip apart all opposition on the World stage yet when they get there they dont cause havoc because they're missing their creative player who is off playing for his country (take Messi without Xavi and Iniesta for example)
  • Options
    I did say struggle to get OUT of the championship. I did not say that they were only championship level.
  • Options
    alangee said:

ghentfan said:

I guess you noted that Middlesborough (championship) beat Manchester City (premier league champions) 2-0 last Saturday in the cup. That does not make them a better team than Manchester City. Bradford from our 1st division beat Chelsea 4-2 as well, does that make Bradford a better team than Chelsea? Cup form means nothing. I think you underestimate the championship - as our owner has done.

For what it is worth, I think that anyone - including Anderlecht - in the Belgian league would struggle to get out of the championship.
    Trouble is your looking at it as though Anderlecht would come over to play in the Championship for just an experiment.

If Anderlecht did play here in the Championship they may struggle to begin with but it would all change because the Financial differences between England and Belgian are huge, eventually they'd reap the benefits and they'd be able to pay big bucks for the players they may not be able to get at the moment
  • Options
    Talal said:

Going off his stats on Football Manager, he'll sit in the middle of the pitch, contest (and likely win) the ball for 90 minutes. Very physical, determined and hard working. Needs a ball player alongside him or we still won't create very much.

Hmm something fishy going on as he's black there
    With hair too.
  • Options
    edited January 2015
    I know we don't sign players as we need them if you know what i mean, but left mid still needs sorting out imo , if Guy Luzon hasn't got faith in Callum Harriott either, which then begs the question is Jordan Cousins on his bikey with LePoint coming in?
  • Options

So how do we pronounce his surname? /ləpwɛ̃/ or /ləpɔɪnt/ ?

Definitely ləpɔɪnt

Except on Sundays, when it's definately ləpwɛ̃.........
  • Options
    Guy Luzon said 2 to 3 players to come in this week, anyone want to bet he will only get 1.
  • Options
    "Trouble is your looking at it as though Anderlecht would come over to play in the Championship for just an experiment"

Strange comment.

Where did I say that? I said that for what it's worth I think they would struggle. It is only an opinion.
  • Options
    edited January 2015
    alangee said:

"Trouble is your looking at it as though Anderlecht would come over to play in the Championship for just an experiment"

Strange comment.

Where did I say that? I said that for what it's worth I think they would struggle. It is only an opinion.

Was saying it in the sense that you dont seem to be looking at it via the wider picture... They'd probably struggle to begin with but the financial income they'd get from being in England would make them more competitive and would very quickly gain promotion to the Premier League within a season or two.

Sod it where's @Paulie8290... @Paulie8290 can you go on the FM Editor, move Anderlecht to the Championship and let us know how you get on without making any signings ;)
  • Sponsored links:

• Options

ghentfan said:

ghentfan said:

but:
    Standard Liege is not so strong anymore (one of the reasons Duchatelet is hated by the fans there); Bruges is at the moment the best team in Belgium
    Is that based on this season alone..? - Surely Anderlecht are still the strongest side because when you get to your Play-Offs anything can still happen?

I would guess that Bruges and Anderlecht would finish between places 9 and 14 in the Premier League; teams like Gent, Standard and Genk between places 13 and 18
    Where would you place a team like Lierse or Waasland-Beveren (Who occupy the Relegation spots?), then you've a team like Saint-Truden possibly coming up, where would you place those in England?

the pace in Belgian football is certainly slower, but the technical and tactical skills are quite good, in the slipstream of our internationals who all play in the top of England / Germany / Spain...
    Agree with this although its like with English players, when they're in their club squads the likes of Rooney / Hazard all look brilliant when they're surrounded like other countrymen like de Maria or Fabregas, you then stick them in their own team solely with their fellow countrymen and then they dont look so good, this is whats a problem here in England I think at the moment, everyone jumps on the bandwagon saying Sterling / Rooney are class and are going to rip apart all opposition on the World stage yet when they get there they dont cause havoc because they're missing their creative player who is off playing for his country (take Messi without Xavi and Iniesta for example)
    - no, most analysts agree that Bruges is now (this season) the best team in Belgium and will be champions; it's them OR Anderlecht anyway
    - Bruges have an absolute top trainer: Michel Preud'homme, Premier League material!
    - Standard is the same level as Gent at the moment
    - Lierse, Beveren etc. wouldn't able to survive in the Championship, really weak material
    - just so you know: in Belgium well respected analysts think of course very highly of the top clubs in England (city, united, chelsea), but overall the English competition is characterized as less quality than the Primera Division (especially: few quality English players, bad defenders, low on tactics); it's mainly the money to bring in high standard foreigners that makes the difference
  • Options
    So you think that Lierse / Beveren / Truden would only be good enough for the English Third Tier? (League One)

Michel Preud'homme... I know that name wasnt he a Footballer (Goalkeeper?) from the 90s?
  • Options

So you think that Lierse / Beveren / Truden would only be good enough for the English Third Tier? (League One)

Michel Preud'homme... I know that name wasnt he a Footballer (Goalkeeper?) from the 90s?

yes, 58 times international, great keeper

and an absolute success as a trainer too: champion with Standard, cup winner and vice-champion with Gent, cup winner and vice-champion with Twente, champion with Al Shabab in Arabia and now probably champion with Bruges

best Belgian coach
  • Options
    dickplumb said:

Thanks for your posts ghentfan, a lot of British fans are very insular. I do not understand why we can't just wait until we see him play before judging him. Is that too much to ask?

Good point. A pity you won't be there . We'll let you know how he gets on :-)
  • Options
    I think we need a confirmed stamp in Flemish.
  • Options

dickplumb said:

Thanks for your posts ghentfan, a lot of British fans are very insular. I do not understand why we can't just wait until we see him play before judging him. Is that too much to ask?

Remembering the excitement on here about Reza and Polish Pete, I tend to agree.
    I shall reserve judgement also - but I am looking forward to the fact that it sounds like he'll put in effort and enthusiasm. Hope this lifts the team to play for the badge and for the win.

Roll on kick off on Saturday.
  • Options
    Welcome to Chsrlton Fc, Lepoint.
  • Options

where does Cousin's fit in?

That's a question which bother's me.