Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Christophe Lepoint to sign ? (ed. Signed)

Comments

• Options
    You've only got to look at the Callum harriot thread to see the difference in opinion in one player , from he's very good , he's got potential and he's shit and league 2 standard.
  • Options
    ghentfan said:

ghentfan said:

bobcafc7 said:

cfgs said:

Kristof Terreur ‏@HLNinEngeland 1h1 hour ago

Charlton will announce the signing of Christophe Lepoint today, after his medicals. He will sign until 2017. #cafc
    0 replies 17 retweets 7 favorites
    Tom ‏@TomCuppens 28m28 minutes ago

@HLNinEngeland You can't but feel sorry for Charlton fans #cafc

That's just someone with 3 followers that wrote that.

Couple of Gent fans are gutted that he's leaving on twitter.
    you have to make a difference between
    "oh how sad it is that our Christophe, since 2009 with the club, is now leaving us, we liked him, he did everything for the club"
    and
    "oh how sad it is that Lepoint leaves us, because he is such a great player"

(nobody in Ghent says the second one)

Not expecting GREAT players we are a champoinship club not premier league but we are expecting good ones.
    How many in Ghent would say he is a good player?
    he is not a good player (anymore) for the Belgian top-5

but i think he is a good player for the championship (as i'm sure that my team would beat Charlton quite easily), if you set your expectations right

(Vetokele comes from our B-squad; players like Bulot, Buyens, Moussa, Watt... do not have a quality reputation in Belgium)
    Then i welcome Christophe to the club.
    It is a bit like saying your top Ghent players not being good enough for Chelsea, Man city
  • Options
    You've only got to look at the Callum harriot thread to see the difference in opinion in one player , from he's very good , he's got potential and he's shit and league 2 standard.
  • Options
    edited January 2015
    Think we'd give Gent a good game personally.

...maybe not on current form though.
  • Options
    skywalker said:

skywalker said:

I hope you never get Wilmots as a coach. He's an utter prick !

But a good coach huh?
    I don't think Wilmots is a very good coach. With the number & quality of players he had during the last world cup (compared to the Dutch for instance), he underachieved IMO. He'll probably go on coaching a German team in the future. Also, again ... I think Le Point will fit in nicely. Luzon however ... well, I'm not a fan. I concur with Ghentfan that he's not a tactician, and sometimes a bit of an idiot. Anyway, you'll just have to wait and see what will happen on the pitch. In the end, that matters.
    I'd agree with that actually. Belgium were quite conservative in their play at the WC and struggled to create chances.
  • Options
    Ghentfan and Skywalker. How good is the Belgian league would you say? English fans tend to just assume it's not very good, but you're saying you think Ghent would easily beat Charlton. In you're opinion which English team would be best matched with Ghent? Do many of the national team play in Belgium?
    Thanks
  • Options

thanks for your comments @ghentfan very much appreciated.

Midfield has been a weakness of ours of late, so i'm pleased it is being addressed. Duchatelet and his regime are on thin ice in terms of bringing in inadequate signings / replacements. If the same thing happens again, there is likely to be even less tolerance.

Reports on this guy seem mixed, however he seems to have a bit of bite and a decent attitude, and i certainly think those qualities will come in handy for the run in.

I think this is the crux of it. We're getting more and more sceptical of each player due to the fact that you can't really say any one has been a runaway success. I'm always prepared to wait and see before I passed judgment and however useful Ghent Fan's comments are, it is just one fan.

Every move that RD and the board make at the mo is under more scrutiny, given the last month.

Let's hope he tears up some trees and gives us some bite
  • Options
    It'll be interesting to see where he fits in, assuming no one leaves that gives us 5 CMs.

FM suggests he's strong, hard working, aggressive and can play in several positions, but he's not particularly quick or technical. Similar to all the reports we've seen and due to his age I expect it'll be pretty accurate.

We do lack a physical, aggressive CM (though I've not seen Milos yet) so he could be a good addition. Looks less likely we'll sign a creative midfielder now, maybe Luzon thinks he can get something out of Bulot and/or Moussa.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    From the sound of it he's not going to be bombing up and down the pitch with the ball, playing perfect passes and scoring freely - but if by hanging back and being a destroyer he gives the likes of Gudmundson, Watt, Buyens etc the freedom to get forward and STAY forward then he's doing a useful job as far as I am concerned. Let JBG off the chain, keeps Solly in RB where he belongs, adds a bit of muscle to a pretty flimsy midfield - most challenges seem to be more waving a foot at the ball than actual physical challenges at this point.

To me it seems the kind of signing that improves the team without going to appreciably add to the stats directly (possession, corners, etc.)
  • Options
    Looks like Luzon is first gonna make us hard to beat with Lepoint and Veljkovic being bought in! Scoring goals again will come again
  • Options
    thenewbie said:

To me it seems the kind of signing that improves the team without going to appreciably add to the stats directly (possession, corners, etc.)

very true

• Options

Is frustrating...

- Last season we had Wilson and Poyet and they were both really difficult to tell apart because of the long hair.
    - In Cousins and Bulot you've two tall thin players with the same type of "mohawk" or whatever it is.
    - Now we're gonna have two baldies in Buyens and Lepoint.

Cant the club at least be considerate in these things so we know which player to moan about!!

Think they are bad, watch Mouso and Igor up front, now that one does throw me.
  • Options
    @ghentfan.. Thanks for the info.

When you say he isnt very athletic and often bit behind the tackle, would you say Buyens was rated as fairly athletic in the Belgian league then?
  • Options

Is frustrating...

- Last season we had Wilson and Poyet and they were both really difficult to tell apart because of the long hair.
    - In Cousins and Bulot you've two tall thin players with the same type of "mohawk" or whatever it is.
    - Now we're gonna have two baldies in Buyens and Lepoint.

Cant the club at least be considerate in these things so we know which player to moan about!!

Think they are bad, watch Mouso and Igor up front, now that one does throw me.
    I thought Moussa came on as sub up at Leeds at the beginning of November and it was Coquelin, mind you I'd had a few beers :smiley:
  • Sponsored links:

• Options

When you say he isnt very athletic and often bit behind the tackle, would you say Buyens was rated as fairly athletic in the Belgian league then?

Lepoint is certainly more powerful than Buyens. He just lacks speed, but he's very strong.
  • Options
    edited January 2015

Buyens is Athletic if you consider a Sunday afternoon stroll with the family athletic.
    I thought that was the ghent fan saying Buyens was slow in Belgium too.

It wasn't :(
  • Options
    Yoni was presented to us as a tough tackling box to box midfielder, but turned out to be a poor mans Claus Jensen rather than a poor man's Mark Kinsella. Takes a good penalty I grant him that.
  • Options
    Lepoint seems like the hard bastard we have been lacking in the cm position which if he is is absolutely fine by me even if he lacks other attributes. Now need a creative midfielder to compliment him or Buyens to take up that role.
  • Options
    Sounds average, but will wait to see him play first, and can judge for ourselves
  • Options
    ghentfan said:

CAFCsayer said:

ghentfan said:

ghentfan said:

bobcafc7 said:

cfgs said:

Kristof Terreur ‏@HLNinEngeland 1h1 hour ago

Charlton will announce the signing of Christophe Lepoint today, after his medicals. He will sign until 2017. #cafc
    0 replies 17 retweets 7 favorites
    Tom ‏@TomCuppens 28m28 minutes ago

@HLNinEngeland You can't but feel sorry for Charlton fans #cafc

That's just someone with 3 followers that wrote that.

Couple of Gent fans are gutted that he's leaving on twitter.
    you have to make a difference between
    "oh how sad it is that our Christophe, since 2009 with the club, is now leaving us, we liked him, he did everything for the club"
    and
    "oh how sad it is that Lepoint leaves us, because he is such a great player"

(nobody in Ghent says the second one)

Not expecting GREAT players we are a champoinship club not premier league but we are expecting good ones.
    How many in Ghent would say he is a good player?
    he is not a good player (anymore) for the Belgian top-5

but i think he is a good player for the championship (as i'm sure that my team would beat Charlton quite easily), if you set your expectations right

(Vetokele comes from our B-squad; players like Bulot, Buyens, Moussa, Watt... do not have a quality reputation in Belgium)
    You're shit and you got no fans

i love you too
    Here's hoping the Wealdstone Raider has traveled to Belgium - else Ghentfan could take that the wrong way!!
  • Options
    A Buyens tackle is normally followed by a whiste, a free kick and quite often a yellow card

We do now seem to be looking for more defensive central midfielders which is good. We hadn't replaced Poyet as the player who protected the back four and retain possesion. Maybe Veljkoic is that player and maybe Lepoint. Or could we play both with Buyens further forward where he'll be less of a tackling liability and his passing might hurt the opposition.

But JBG seems better suited to that attacking role and where does Cousin's fit in?
  • Options

A Buyens tackle is normally followed by a whiste, a free kick and quite often a yellow card

We do now seem to be looking for more defensive central midfielders which is good. We hadn't replaced Poyet as the player who protected the back four and retain possesion. Maybe Veljkoic is that player and maybe Lepoint. Or could we play both with Buyens further forward where he'll be less of a tackling liability and his passing might hurt the opposition.

But JBG seems better suited to that attacking role and where does Cousin's fit in?

I can see us lining up in a diamond formation, asking the fullbacks to provide the width whilst Veljkoic sits and protects. JBG would have a free role behind the two strikers (if we ever play two again) and like you I worry about who would fill the other two midfield roles, JC needs to play to continue to improve.