Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Grand National 2015

Comments

• Options
    Holy cow, I make that 5m24s. That is, by far, the quickest Foxhunters since they reduced the distance to 21.5f.
    5 secs faster than last year. OK a good winner but not by huge margin and even 3rd placed horse beat last year's time.
    That is fast ground.
  • Options
    Great thread as always, PM, going to be following your choices!

If you'll all indulge a once-a-year better trying to filter the acronyms etc on the thread, if I'm going to put about £20-30 of my own money on a combination of Oscar Time, Chance Du Roy and Monbeg Dude (if I've followed this thread right?), where am I best off using online bookie-wise in terms of free bets, matched bets, places paid etc?
  • Options
    Try www.bet72.com they give all the latest bookie offers.
  • Options
    Comment on at the races about the rattling fast aintree going. Gotta be bad news for a few runners
  • Options
    edited April 2015

If you'll all indulge a once-a-year better trying to filter the acronyms etc on the thread, if I'm going to put about £20-30 of my own money on a combination of Oscar Time, Chance Du Roy and Monbeg Dude (if I've followed this thread right?), where am I best off using online bookie-wise in terms of free bets, matched bets, places paid etc?

Cheer Chief I would be wary at the moment about Monbeg Dude - if they don't slow the ground appreciably he could struggle.
    The others fine.
  • Options

I saw bet888 are offering treble the odds for first time accounts. Max £10
  • Options

Cheer Chief I would be wary at the moment about Monbeg Dude - if they don't slow the ground appreciably he could struggle.
    The others fine.
    Saw that, the Dude needs rain?

We're the other two.the main tips?

As always, the level of effort you put into this is very impressive to witness mate!
  • Options
    edited April 2015
    PEANUTS SAID ON P10 (CDR & OT HIS BIGGEST FANCIES)

My Final Betting Slip:
    • CHANCE DU ROY e/w 40/1 (partly 5, partly 6 places NRNB)
    • OSCAR TIME e/w 50/1 (5 places)
    • FIRST LIEUTENANT e/w 25/1 (6 places) NRNB
    • THE DRUIDS NEPHEW 14/1 Win NRNB
    • MONBEG DUDE e/w 33/1 (6 places) NRNB
    • BAILEYS CONCERTO e/w 100/1 (6 places) NRNB *MAY NOT RUN AS IS FIRST RESERVE*
    • PORTRAIT KING e/w 66/1 (6 places) NRNB
  • Options

The others fine.
    Saw that, the Dude needs rain?

We're the other two.the main tips?

As always, the level of effort you put into this is very impressive to witness mate!
    Too kind Chief,
    Bit short of time at the mo but this is looking like going faster even than last year. That's faster than their stated safety standard. They could water aggressively. We'll find out tomorrow in the Topham. If you can, hold off on the Dude at the moment. The others will be fine (more or less).
  • Options
    Cheers both!
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    edited April 2015
    Through offers on Paddy Power and Bet Victor I've stretched £20 to £50 across your selections (except First Lieutenant as it stands), was worth a bit on MD as a free £5, so will be watching with a beer and my fingers crossed on Saturday!!

The Mrs thinks Oscar Time was her choice though....

Cheers PM.
  • Options
    As others have said, huge respect to you PM on some mind-boggling work.
    I've read a lot of different viewpoints this week, and as I only ever back two I've got them down to 1) Alvarado and 2) Soll. Both have got good enough recent records around the course.
    You are leading me to break the habit of a lifetime, and I'm really tempted by one of your shortlisted - First Lieutenant.
    Thanks again to you and others for an interesting thread.
  • Options
    What's the deal with the NRNB on BetVictor then? Do they refund after the race or is there a cut off point say an hour before?

Also, Peanuts...Any next on the list in case he doesn't run?

Cheers
  • Options
    edited April 2015
    No defections by 9am today so, sadly in light of (currently) perfect going for him, Baileys Concerto misses out.
    They have watered supposedly to maintain the ground as it was yesterday but that was appreciably faster than how it was officially described - GS(Good places). The amateur jockeys thought it more like Good(GS places) but the Racing Post called yesterday's GN course going Good, based on the time of the Foxhunters. I would agree but the fact that we witnessed the fastest time (by 5 secs = 20L) clocked by the amateurs since 2001, when the trip was trimmed to 21.5f, whatever the Official description, this ground if unaltered would be faster than the target quickest going established after 2012 of Easy side of Good and the fastest seen since at least 2012.
    The "known unknown", however, is the rain forecast from 3~8am Saturday morning (potentially heavy at times). If that materialises, it could soften the ground sufficiently to turn it more like 2013's mix of Good and GS in time for the Off, although bright sunshine is forecast for the rest of Saturday.
    As things stand, that possibility leaves me happy with my current betting slip. If the rain softens the ground, it would certainly help Monbeg Dude but disadvantage First Lieutenant and vice versa if the ground is the same as yesterday.
    So, if I was compiling my betting slip now, I'd probably hold at the 3 Win selections that are going-versatile:
    CHANCE DU ROY (e/w)
    OSCAR TIME (e/w)
    THE DRUIDS NEPHEW (win)
    and, although ground without any trace of GS wouldn’t be ideal for him, with long-shot place potential:
    PORTRAIT KING (6 places e/w)
    and would wait on the time of the Topham this afternoon and the overnight weather to add at least 1 more to the slip.
    There's the chance of an outsider-substitute for Baileys Concerto, depending on the likely going and the 6 place e/w prices of BetVic tomorrow morning.
  • Options

As others have said, huge respect to you PM on some mind-boggling work.
    I've read a lot of different viewpoints this week, and as I only ever back two I've got them down to 1) Alvarado and 2) Soll. Both have got good enough recent records around the course.
    You are leading me to break the habit of a lifetime, and I'm really tempted by one of your shortlisted - First Lieutenant.
    Thanks again to you and others for an interesting thread.

Both Alvarado and Soll have great claims - good pair to have running for you.
    Best of luck Chief.
  • Options
    Carlo Brigante out - 39 runner race?
  • Options
    GRAY9 said:

F%()*_()_+)+ing hell.
    Baileys missed out by a few hours!!!!!!
  • Options

No defections by 9am today so, sadly in light of (currently) perfect going for him, Baileys Concerto misses out.
    They have watered supposedly to maintain the ground as it was yesterday but that was appreciably faster than how it was officially described - GS(Good places). The amateur jockeys thought it more like Good(GS places) but the Racing Post called yesterday's GN course going Good, based on the time of the Foxhunters. I would agree but the fact that we witnessed the fastest time (by 5 secs = 20L) clocked by the amateurs since 2001, when the trip was trimmed to 21.5f, whatever the Official description, this ground if unaltered would be faster than the target quickest going established after 2012 of Easy side of Good and the fastest seen since at least 2012.
    The "known unknown", however, is the rain forecast from 3~8am Saturday morning (potentially heavy at times). If that materialises, it could soften the ground sufficiently to turn it more like 2013's mix of Good and GS in time for the Off, although bright sunshine is forecast for the rest of Saturday.
    As things stand, that possibility leaves me happy with my current betting slip. If the rain softens the ground, it would certainly help Monbeg Dude but disadvantage First Lieutenant and vice versa if the ground is the same as yesterday.
    So, if I was compiling my betting slip now, I'd probably hold at the 3 Win selections that are going-versatile:
    CHANCE DU ROY (e/w)
    OSCAR TIME (e/w)
    THE DRUIDS NEPHEW (win)
    and, although ground without any trace of GS wouldn’t be ideal for him, with long-shot place potential:
    PORTRAIT KING (6 places e/w)
    and would wait on the time of the Topham this afternoon and the overnight weather to add at least 1 more to the slip.
    There's the chance of an outsider-substitute for Baileys Concerto, depending on the likely going and the 6 place e/w prices of BetVic tomorrow morning.

Cheers for all this Peanuts. First ever national I've had a bit of insight on. I'm looking forward to it
  • Options

GRAY9 said:

F%()*_()_+)+ing hell.
    Annoying. I don't why reserves can't get added today.

Double blow getting Carlo Brigante in the sweepstake.

• Options
    GRAY9 said:

GRAY9 said:

F%()*_()_+)+ing hell.

Couldn't agree more re how annoying this is but as someone who has had the misfortune of having to deal with markets involving Reserves I have to say they are a nightmare and in Ireland the situation is even more exaggerated with fancied reserves somehow managing to get into big races at the last minute - they are allowed to become runners up to half an hour before the first race.

Put another way, how annoyed would you be had you backed a horse on say Betfair only to find that a Reserve had come into the market and beaten your horse!
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    Curb_It said:

Argghhhhhh I was going to stop at 2. Now I have put a little on Druids and Portrait King - (not much if you are reading this love).

Is that said in case you lose - or win?
  • Options

GRAY9 said:

GRAY9 said:

F%()*_()_+)+ing hell.

Couldn't agree more re how annoying this is but as someone who has had the misfortune of having to deal with markets involving Reserves I have to say they are a nightmare and in Ireland the situation is even more exaggerated with fancied reserves somehow managing to get into big races at the last minute - they are allowed to become runners up to half an hour before the first race.

Put another way, how annoyed would you be had you backed a horse on say Betfair only to find that a Reserve had come into the market and beaten your horse!
    Are these the fellas we're supposed to feel sorry for AA? :smiley:
  • Options
    Alvarado e/w for me with 'savers' on Rocky Creek and Al Co
  • Options
    Had a £5 bonus with Coral to use and found it was only for roulette. Frittered it away and put the last 90p on no 26 my birthday and won £32 which I've banked. Is it my lucky day? Prudence says I should leave it in the bank so I told her to piss off I'm blowing it on some more horses.

Good job this is only once a year.
  • Options
    edited April 2015
    BetVic (6 places) lengthens both CDR and OSCAR TIME out to 40s and 50s again (PORTRAIT KING 66s again).
  • Options
    edited April 2015
    No jockey rides the GN course as well as Sam Waley-Cohen. Another brilliant ride and win. Record 6th win over the GN fences.
    Another one tomorrow will do VERY nicely. :smiley:
  • Options
    lol that was absolute carnage.

I think your analysis is great Peanuts but the amount of luck that goes into theses races is too much for any serious money for me.
  • Options
    It would seem that they've slowed the going with last night's watering.
    I make the Topham 5m25s, slightly slower than last year. If correct, that would make it Good (not the Official Good/GS places) but not as fast as yesterday.
    Some rain overnight might introduce some real Good to Soft, at least in places.
  • Options
    That Waley-Cohen factor.
    OSCAR TIME shortened by many but BetVic top of the market at 50s 6 places. Better move quick to back the oldest GN winner for 162 years!! Well, be sensible - go each way! :smiley: