Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Grand National 2015

Comments

• Options

once a year punter here.

When is the race?

Which nags is Peanuts telling me to waste wager my money on this year?

You're that geezer who insists on going to the betting shop to do their business in person aren't you Henry?
    Old school. My uncle was a illegal street bookie, my dad was a bookies' runner.

Put you money down on the counter of a shabby, smoky room, full of slightly desperate and depressing men.

On-line is for kids and hedge fund managers.

Any way, gissus three names.
    Too lazy to read the thread eh H?
    Have to confess I come over all drowsy when I'm reading your posts too :smiley:

Chance Du Roy 40/1 each way
    Oscar Time 50/1 each way
    AN Other (to come)
  • Options
    It's nine pages long and it's about horses and some weird semi-religious cult called "the model".

£50 on A N Other it is then.

• Options

It's nine pages long and it's about.....some weird semi-religious cult......

The Lord worketh in mysterious ways.

• Options

smiffyboy said:

All the constant stuff about McCoy is starting to get on my nerves now.

Sorely tempted to lay it on Betfair Win market if (when) it gets seriously backed down to silly prices on raceday. Model doesn't rate STFD at all - weight, lack of chase mileage, inadequate campaign.....that's torn it!

NB Model is NOT INFALLIBLE folks - bet (and especially lay) responsibly!!
    To be honest Peanuts, i've already done this mate. Can see STFD going off at something daft like 7/2, 4/1.

Backed it at 9.8 on Betfair with 300 on Monday night, i looked yesterday and it was already gone in to 8.4

Presumably a lot of people with the same idea
  • Options
    edited April 2015
    Big_Bob said:

smiffyboy said:

All the constant stuff about McCoy is starting to get on my nerves now.

Sorely tempted to lay it on Betfair Win market if (when) it gets seriously backed down to silly prices on raceday. Model doesn't rate STFD at all - weight, lack of chase mileage, inadequate campaign.....that's torn it!

NB Model is NOT INFALLIBLE folks - bet (and especially lay) responsibly!!
    To be honest Peanuts, i've already done this mate. Can see STFD going off at something daft like 7/2, 4/1.

Backed it at 9.8 on Betfair with 300 on Monday night, i looked yesterday and it was already gone in to 8.4

Presumably a lot of people with the same idea
    I already took my profits on a backed position (taken when he was 25s and sold it at 13 or so - like printing money :smiley: ). There's certainly more juice in it but I'm looking to lay him if he gets down to the 7/2 territory and hold the position for the race - not to a significant liability but as my model doesn't rate his chances I'll try and profit from all the housewives thinking otherwise.
    If you are going to hold your backed position for more profit, just watch out for the change from the ante-post to the raceday market on Betfair (next Thursday I guess). If you haven't closed out your long, I think I'm right in saying that you can't net off a backed position ante post with a lay on the raceday market - they are 2 different markets. So unless you have an adequate cash balance on Betfair to cover the lay liability you need to close out the ante post backed position before that market closes - might be a few others doing the same so you might not want to cut it too fine.
    Have fun!!
  • Options
    I will wait until an hour before the race and lay STFD for a place at something like Evens.
  • Options
    For what it is worth, the first Turftrax going map issued today for Aintree.
    As of this morning the GN course was mainly GS with a number of Soft places.
    Mildmay and hurdles: GS with a few Good places.
    Forecast suggests it will be predominantly drying weather over the coming week.
  • Options
    edited April 2015
    http://youtu.be/NEmKIT0s3xg

Channel 4 new advert for the GN15.
  • Options
    Rubi Light will run in the GN after all (had been thought he'd opt for the Topham).
  • Options
    edited April 2015
    Courtesy of theRacing Post:

Clerk of the course Andrew Tulloch...said: "I would expect us to be watering both courses at some point and, if the forecast is in any way accurate, we'll be looking to race on ground on the easy side of good.

We had 15mm of rain on Monday but the track just drank it up. The weather is now set to dry up with conditions becoming brighter and a tad warmer. We might have a few showers, but they aren't due to bring much, and with soil temperatures rising and the ground drying very quickly at this time of year, I do think we'll be watering."
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    What does that equate to peanuts the knowledge
  • Options
    Can someone tell me what STFD is ? - sounds like a visit to the clinic is required !
    When i googled it, it came up with Shut The F**k Down !
  • Options

Can someone tell me what STFD is ? - sounds like a visit to the clinic is required !
    When i googled it, it came up with Shut The F**k Down !

Shut the front door.
  • Options
    edited April 2015
    smiffyboy said:

Morning smiffy.

OK, this is where I get into really sad statto mode, trying to anticipate the real (rather than the officially described) going.

Bear in mind that, since 2012, for safety reasons the stated target ground for all 3 days of the meeting is not quicker than Easy side of Good (i.e. a mix of Good and GS) but also that the official going description is rarely accurate (or, to put it kindly, there is a meaningful margin of error!).

For example, compare the official going for these 4 GNs with the Racing Post's time-based descriptions (which are consistent with my own time-based estimates):

2006: Official: GS / Racing Post: Soft
    2009: Official: GS (Gd places) / RP: Soft
    2013: Official: GS (Gd places) / RP: GS
    2014: Official: GS (Gd places) / RP: Good

So the records show that the 2009 and 2014 GNs appeared to be run on essentially identical ground. Yet, in reality, one was on Soft ground, the other on proper Good. Adjusting for the 100 yard difference in trip, Mon Mome would have finished 1 furlong (!!) (60L) behind Pineau De Re at the respective paces of those 2 GNs. Identical going? I think not.

In my opinion, also, the 2010, 2011 and 2012 GNs were all run on ground that was meaningfully quicker than the Official "Good" - they clocked 3 of the 6 quickest GNs on record and IMO, sadly, this was the principal cause of the increased fatalities.

So, what can we expect for next Saturday?

The forecast is for drying weather next week with plenty of sunshine. The fact that the Clerk of the Course considers that the ground was already dry enough to absorb readily this week's rain suggests that they should be fairly liberal with watering, as he has indicated they will be.

One possibility is that, with significant precautionary watering, they could inadvertently set up a softer ground GN if there is unexpected rain late in the week. Particularly rain on the morning of the race can rapidly change the going at Aintree, even with the drainage installed in recent years. We shouldn't see the mudbaths of 1994, 1998 and 2001 but rain on raceday morning in 2006 and 2009 most certainly turned the going significantly slower than the official description and, very likely, affected the result.

HOWEVER, it is more likely that another scenario is realised - that watering occurs but is somewhat restrained under the influence of moaning trainers with Good-ground horses. If the forecast turns out to be accurate, the actual going could be, like last year, proper Good ground and not the officially targeted and (come what may) described GS(Gd places) or Gd(GS places) (i.e. Easy side of Good). For PR reasons, they can now never admit to it being quicker than that of course.

So, what's all that got to do with the price of fish?

Well, as regards my 2 ante-post e/w selections, neither Chance Du Roy nor Oscar Time will be impacted significantly (though OT would have his best chance with some genuine ease in the ground) but for the others on the radar screen, the going will be more meaningful as regards the model's relative rating of their chances (and in one case whether it even runs). In such a competitive race (resulting from the likely zero weights-rise) I'm going to be very circumspect with the remaining selections.

More anon.

In any event, I'll be timing the Foxhunters on Thursday and Topham on Friday to get an idea on the true going on the GN course.
  • Options
    BetVic gone 6 places and odds remain the same by the looks of it.
  • Options
    smiffyboy said:

Bet you're glad you asked.......? :blush:
  • Options
    edited April 2015
    Stone said:

smiffyboy said:

Bet you're glad you asked.......? :blush:
    Cheeky b :smiley:
  • Options
    edited April 2015
  • Options
  • Options
    Sean Bowen now qualifies to ride in the national and looks a great jockey
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    Bought Sean Bowen on the spreads today at 19.2, 25 winner 10 second and 5 third as he is one of the jockeys I keep an eye on
  • Options
    Impressive rides to day that's for sure never noticed him before
  • Options
    BetVic have cut Oscar Time to 33s.
  • Options

BetVic have cut Oscar Time to 33s.

50/1 is still widely available. I don't understand the betting this year. I don't rate any of the first five favourites as a potential winner.

• Options
    Nicholls confirms Sam Winner will skip Aintree and head to the Scottish National a week later.
  • Options
    GN-winning jockey Liam Treadwell (Mon Mome 2009) takes the ride on Monbeg Dude.
  • Options
    Peanuts, anything for the Irish GN, or leave well alone?
  • Options
    edited April 2015
    Well CHG, it's a bit of a sprint for my taste but I have been known to dabble in the Irish GN occasionally (with mixed fortunes!). I did a quick and dirty elimination stat-screen yesterday but only managed to knock out 20 of the 30 runners.

10 left standing were: 7,10,16,19,23,25,27,28,29,30

Doesn't get us very far but, since my last Irish National winner was the tough mare Bluesea Cracker in 2010, I'll take a chance on another:

27 She's Got Grit 33/1

and the winner of the XC at the Cheltenham Festival

16 Rivage D'Or 25/1

Both e/w 5 places, naturally.

Very, very low conviction.

LUCK MAITH!!
  • Options
    Thanks Peanuts, like that, will have a nibble, good luck pal.
  • Options
    Home Farm, Double Ross, Hadrian's Approach, Benvolio, Teaforthree, Merry King, Renard and Sydney Paget all scratched at today's confirmation stage.
    Cut off at the moment in the 10.02s as expected - Soll, Ely Brown and Royale Knight make the cut.
    The Package needs 4 and Broadway Buffalo 5 to come out to line up.