Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Grand National 2015

Comments

• Options
    Good stuff peanuts, do you want to borrow my pin?
  • Options
    edited March 2015

Thumbs up for Monbeg Dude. Will line up at Aintree.

They reckon first time fitting of tongue tie caused his bad run .
    It wasn't an entirely unpromising run IMHO; obviously not as planned and he clearly didn't travel or jump very well (the ground was quick enough for him at the trip), maybe sulking at the tongue-tie, but he stayed on pretty well to finish 25L back. He appeared to be further back than that at the top of the hill and at that point I thought it most likely he'd be pulled up. Battled on quite well actually, as one would hope.
    There have been plenty worse preps by GN winners over the years, even recent ones.
  • Options
    edited March 2015
    This may be the cynical interpretation but, unsurprisingly, Nicholls is protecting Rocky Creek and Unioniste from a weight rise of more than a 2lbs by stating Sam Winner to be a likely runner, alongside the two fancies and 3 others.

"Unioniste and Rocky Creek are the two who have been aimed at the race. We missed Cheltenham with them and set our sights on this. It is what we did with Neptune Collonges."

Confirming jockey arrangements, Nicholls added: "I hope Sean Bowen will ride Mon Parrain if he rides one more chase winner, but he has got plenty of time for that. I think Nick Scholfield will ride Sam Winner, Sam Twiston-Davies is on Rocky Creek and Noel Fehily will ride Unioniste. Ryan Mahon will be on Rebel Rebellion and I will sort the other one out nearer the time."

It's "the other one" that interests me :wink:
  • Options

This may be the cynical interpretation but, unsurprisingly, Nicholls is protecting Rocky Creek and Unioniste from a weight rise of more than a 2lbs by stating Sam Winner to be a likely runner, alongside the two fancies and 3 others.

"Unioniste and Rocky Creek are the two who have been aimed at the race. We missed Cheltenham with them and set our sights on this. It is what we did with Neptune Collonges."

Confirming jockey arrangements, Nicholls added: "I hope Sean Bowen will ride Mon Parrain if he rides one more chase winner, but he has got plenty of time for that. I think Nick Scholfield will ride Sam Winner, Sam Twiston-Davies is on Rocky Creek and Noel Fehily will ride Unioniste. Ryan Mahon will be on Rebel Rebellion and I will sort the other one out nearer the time."

It's "the other one" that interests me :wink:

Blimey I hope your not going to be riding it Peanuts
  • Options
    Great stuff Peanuts, a very informative enjoyable read.
  • Options
    Thanks Peanuts. So I'm on Oscar Time & Chance Du Roy Bet365 E/W 5 places & NRNB.
  • Options

Thanks Peanuts. So I'm on Oscar Time & Chance Du Roy Bet365 E/W 5 places & NRNB.

Careful on the bet365 malarkey guys - I've got my bonus to worry about!
  • Options
    Quick question for you betting enthusiasts please.

If I bet on BetVic with 5 places place and that changes to 6 after I bet do I benefit or stay with 5 as that was what it was when I placed my money. Same for NRNB, if I bet before that comes in but the bookie becomes NRNB and the horse is still available, does my bet become NRNB?

I can probably guess the answer but interested to know. Thanks.

Also, thanks PM for the note on CDR, I am not really a horse person but love reading your informative posts each yr and then sounding like an expert at work of course!
  • Options
    Your guess is correct. Nothing in life is free.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options

Lol, thanks Abs. As I suspected. I will take PM advise and hold fire on CDR until 6 places on BetVic then I think.
  • Options
    edited March 2015

Quick question for you betting enthusiasts please.

If I bet on BetVic with 5 places place and that changes to 6 after I bet do I benefit or stay with 5 as that was what it was when I placed my money. Same for NRNB, if I bet before that comes in but the bookie becomes NRNB and the horse is still available, does my bet become NRNB?

I can probably guess the answer but interested to know. Thanks.

Also, thanks PM for the note on CDR, I am not really a horse person but love reading your informative posts each yr and then sounding like an expert at work of course!

Cheers Athletico. Glad you enjoy it. Hope I (and by extension you) don't look a prize plum by 4.24pm on 11 April. Profuse apologies if so.
    I'm afraid it's the terms prevailing when you place the bet, irrespective of what they offer subsequently. The benefit, of course, is that you've secured the price.
    It's a tricky call. With CDR I've not placed my bet at the moment because I'm hoping Vic will offer 6 places before there's downward pressure on his price. Though he's my top selection, anything can happen in the GN and so many of mine seem to come home 6th I hate to miss out. A place at 40s can make a sizeable difference to returns but I may well chicken out and take the 40s for just the 5 places. Once northstandsteve gets stuck in Vic may get windy!
    From memory, it's only Vic of the mainstream bookies that has offered a 6th place in the past.There's no certainty they'll do so this time. I stand to be corrected but I don't recall Bet365 ever doing so, or Paddy.
    They'll all go NRNB, more of them very soon I think. Paddy and Vic don't tend to be out of line for too long.
  • Options

Lol, thanks Abs. As I suspected. I will take PM advise and hold fire on CDR until 6 places on BetVic then I think.
    If I bottle it and take the 5 places I'll let you know Chief.
  • Options
    edited March 2015
    Interesting but scathing article in the Irish Independent about Jim Culloty's decision to part company with Davy Russell. I hadn't realised what a truly awful recent record Culloty has as a trainer - check it out on the Racing Post website.
    No winner from 55 runners in Ireland and 3 in Britain this season (i.e. from last May).
    Maybe looking for salvation at Aintree with Lord Windermere.................no chance.

http://www.independent.ie/sport/horse-racing/culloty-changes-lord-jockey-again-31086821.html
  • Options
    After Shutthefrontdoor had a school at Southwell with Merry Deal the trainer said that the latters chance should not be overlooked as he ran 3rd in the Hennessy which is good form. He has had his wind done since being pulled up at Haydock and he and the Door will both have a tongue tie at Aintree.
  • Options
    In the Mail today official handicapper Phil Smith said that if he was framing the handicap again he would have Rocky Creek 9lb higher and Druids Nephew 10lb higher.
  • Options
    edited March 2015

After Shutthefrontdoor had a school at Southwell with Merry Deal the trainer said that the latters chance should not be overlooked as he ran 3rd in the Hennessy which is good form. He has had his wind done since being pulled up at Haydock and he and the Door will both have a tongue tie at Aintree.

Cheers for that starinnaddick.
    Equine veterinary practices must be the new engine of the economy since wind ops became de rigueur among the horse-racing fraternity. There's hardly a horse in training that hasn't had their wind seen to.
    I reckon if AP wants the best chance to go out with another GN triumph he should persuade JP to make Merry King's owners an offer they can't refuse and put the green and gold hoops (& AP) on MK. Has a much better chance than either Shutthefrontdoor or Cause Of Causes (according to my model).

PS Paddy now NRNB but have shortened a lot of longer shots.
  • Options
    Shown in Post today

Who`s looking good at the weights for the National

Horse

Druids Nephew + 10
    The Package + 10
    Goonyella + 10
    Rocky Creek + 9
    Royal Rebellion + 7
    Rubi Light + 7
    Soll + 7
    Broadway Buffalo + 4
    Sam Winner + 3
    Many Clouds + 3
    Unioniste + 2
  • Options
    Tony Martin wants to save his Irish National favourite Gallant Oscar for Aintree but he needs 17 horses to drop out.
    Sandra Hughes, trainer of Raz De Maree is also favouring a run in the GN. Although he is guaranteed a run at Fairyhouse they are still hoping he will make the cut.
  • Options
    edited March 2015

Shown in Post today

Who`s looking good at the weights for the National

Horse

Druids Nephew + 10
    The Package + 10
    Goonyella + 10
    Rocky Creek + 9
    Royal Rebellion + 7
    Rubi Light + 7
    Soll + 7
    Broadway Buffalo + 4
    Sam Winner + 3
    Many Clouds + 3
    Unioniste + 2

Cheers starinnaddick.
    An observation: of all of these "well-in" figures, caused either by compression of the handicap by Phil Smith at the framing of the GN handicap on 17 Feb or by a hike in their Official Rating based upon form since then, ALL BUT 3 are based upon chases over a distance at least 1 mile short of the GN trip.
    They are SAM WINNER (will carry more weight than any winner since Red Rum in 1977, GOONYELLA (unlikely to get a run) and BROADWAY BUFFALO (7 year old - no 7 yo winner since 1940 / novice - no novice winner since 1958).
  • Sponsored links:

• Options

Tony Martin wants to save his Irish National favourite Gallant Oscar for Aintree but he needs 17 horses to drop out.
    Sandra Hughes, trainer of Raz De Maree is also favouring a run in the GN. Although he is guaranteed a run at Fairyhouse they are still hoping he will make the cut.

Anything's possible but, based upon the last 4 GN's defections at Confirmation Stage and Declarations, it's unlikely that GALLANT OSCAR will get in (might just make the reserves, though for the reason highlighted in your previous post, Goonyella now ranks above him among the 9-13 horses).
    RAZ DE MAREE might just squeak in on 10.01 - would be a serious contender on Soft
  • Options
    oh mannnnnnn I wasnt going to get involved this year but its no good... just fired up my account for its yearly splurge.

• Options
    Curb_It said:

oh mannnnnnn I wasnt going to get involved this year but its no good... just fired up my account for its yearly splurge.

You can always try PMA - short for PeanutsMolloy Anonymous. It's full of former PM followers who found that his GN thread overtook their lives.

I have the number if you want it ;-)
  • Options
    edited March 2015
    It's run by Mrs Molloy and its a premium rate service :smiley:
  • Options
    Curb_It said:

Snap. Yet already utilised my network of underground bookies and speculators

• Options
    Forgot to mention earlier that Willie Mullins confirmed yesterday that Ballycasey will be his only runner in the big race probably ridden by Ruby. He said that he was looking forward to running him there and that he thinks the spring going will suit and his breeding suggests he will stay the trip .
  • Options
    edited March 2015

Forgot to mention earlier that Willie Mullins confirmed yesterday that Ballycasey will be his only runner in the big race probably ridden by Ruby. He said that he was looking forward to running him there and that he thinks the spring going will suit and his breeding suggests he will stay the trip .

His pedigree is certainly a staying one. 1995 GN winner Royal Athlete on the dam side and sired by Presenting (sired 2011 GN winner Ballabriggs) as well as Denman et al.
    Ground should indeed suit.
    Could go well for a long way with Ruby looking after him but as an 8yo with only 2 chases under rules at 3m+, one for the future IMHO.
  • Options
    If you disregard all ages except 9/10/11 you would have had all the last ten winners
  • Options
    Hey peanuts, the bloke next to me at work has just lumped a one'er on Saint Are at 33/1 NRNB.
    He also had a one'er on the gold cup winner, so his recent form is solid.
    Whats your opinion please?