Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Grand National 2015

Comments

• Options

Well CHG, it's a bit of a sprint for my taste but I have been known to dabble in the Irish GN occasionally (with mixed fortunes!). I did a quick and dirty elimination stat-screen yesterday but only managed to knock out 20 of the 30 runners.

10 left standing were: 7,10,16,19,23,25,27,28,29,30

Doesn't get us very far but, since my last Irish National winner was the tough mare Bluesea Cracker in 2010, I'll take a chance on another:

27 She's Got Grit 33/1

Fell at the first lol.

• Options
    Women!
  • Options
    Women!!! LOL Well done Katie.
  • Options
    Sorry chaps. Next stop Aintree :smiley:
  • Options
    No problems Peanuts, Aintree is the big one.
  • Options
    I was on Rule The World. Should have backed it to finish 2nd to the field. The fifth time it's finished there in its six chase runs :-(
  • Options
    edited April 2015
    Took a flyer on Rule The World at 25s. Each way of course.
  • Options
    Had E/W on both Band of Blood and Sizing Coal thanks to your list of 10 Peanuts
  • Options
    Addickted said:

Had E/W on both Band of Blood and Sizing Coal thanks to your list of 10 Peanuts

Nice one Addickted. Next time, I'll crunch the stats and you do the tipping.
  • Options
    edited April 2015

I was on Rule The World. Should have backed it to finish 2nd to the field. The fifth time it's finished there in its six chase runs :-(

There's a glass half empty man if ever I saw one :smiley:
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    Anyone on here going to the National this year?Alan Dugdale and myself will be there
  • Options
    Betvic now cuts Chance Du Roy to 33/1 (6 places). Still widely 40s for 5 places.
  • Options
    Spectacular Drone footage of Aintree course

http://www.liverpoolecho.co.uk/news/liverpool-news
  • Options
    Bowen has booked Denis O'Regan to ride Al Co as a replacement for the injured Jamie Moore.
  • Options
    You must spend months on this. My system suggests Godsmejudge will win on Good ground and Royale Knight will win on soft. So I have backed them both each way and I will do a R/FC on the day.
  • Options
    That, Peanuts, is a work of art.
  • Options
    You the man peanuts
  • Options
    edited April 2015
    len90 said:

You must spend months on this. My system suggests Godsmejudge will win on Good ground and Royale Knight will win on soft. So I have backed them both each way and I will do a R/FC on the day.

Got a lot of positives has Godsmejudge and Royale Knight's an astute selection len90. He's my model's joint #2 selection behind Monbeg Dude if it were to be genuinely Soft.
    Best of luck Chief.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    CHG said:

smiffyboy said:

You the man peanuts

Cheers Chaps. Too kind.
    Might all prove to be a load of hooey. Hopefully not.
  • Options

CHG said:

smiffyboy said:

You the man peanuts

Cheers Chaps. Too kind.
    I still go for the Red & White ones, right? :wink:
  • Options
    Stone said:

CHG said:

smiffyboy said:

You the man peanuts

Cheers Chaps. Too kind.
    I still go for the Red & White ones, right? :wink:
    Well I've backed them both - Win only for DRUIDS and e/w 6 places for the DUDE but I would have gone e/w DRUIDS aswell if the price were higher - had to wait on the weights-rise so now I'd rather save the place stake on him and have a couple of long-shot running for me aswell.
    It could be a Red & White win one way or another :smiley:
  • Options
    edited April 2015
    Morning Ladies and Gents. Back to the selections:

MONBEG DUDE – 33/1 (6 places)

The DUDE doesn’t need much introduction on here. Winner of the 2012/13 Welsh National on heavy (….and there was much rejoicing) he was my model’s #2 choice for the GN last year but came home a disappointing 22L 7th. With no weight concession (like those finishing around him he’ll carry 2lbs less) "surely he’s in the grip of the handicapper" (they say)…..…..and it’s worse from a stats perspective!

The bald stats don’t look good for GN returnees getting their head in front – the last 5 winners were all GN debutants (though PDR had fallen in the Becher Chase). The trend is particularly evident on Good or faster ground - since 1988, of the 14 GNs run on such going (time-based, not Official), only 1 was won by a runner with GN experience (Silver Birch in 2007 and, even then, first-timer McKelvey was a very unfortunate 0.75L and rapidly closing runner-up).
    However, GN returnees have an above-average record in filling the other paying places and mine is an e/w oriented betting strategy, seeking more than one scorer. The model rates the DUDE joint #4 this time on the same (time-based) going as last year, Good. More weight and inadequate campaigns for 2014’s 1st and 2nd account for them according to the 2015 model and, even with 2 GN debutants rating higher on Good going, the DUDE still rates as a solid e/w candidate.
    However, add in some ease in the going (just easy side of Good, which since 2012 is the stated target for the quickest going – not delivered last time) and the winning stats are much better for returnees, albeit on a small sample: on Good/GS (time-based), they account for 2 of the 4 winners since 1988 (and a runner-up) and the last GN to be run on proper GS (2009) saw them land 1st and 2nd.

Therein is the key for the DUDE. If there is any meaningful juice in the ground, his rating elevates significantly – to joint #1. Why? Well, if only the weather will play its part, there is a remarkable, almost spooky similarity with 2009 GN winner Mon Mome.

• The DUDE’s WN win was outdone in quality by his fine staying on 8.5L 4th in the 2014 WN in December, lugging 11.09 on very testing ground. That followed (and also surpassed in quality) a creditable staying-on 4th in the shorter-trip Hennessy on Soft.
    As seasoned followers of the GN threads will know well, by virtue the extreme stamina required at undulating Chepstow, there is a good correlation between making the frame in the Welsh marathon (especially on testing ground) and subsequently doing so in the GN. Since 1988, 8 GN winners had previously finished 1st~3rd in the WN, 4 of them in the same season.
    The most recent of these, Mon Mome 2009 (GS), was also a GN returnee, having finished 58L 10th in the preceding Good ground GN. As we know, Mon Mome was seriously unfancied by the experts for the 2009 GN – softer going gave him his chance and he romped home as (still) the biggest margin winner since 2005.
    • Curiously, also like Mon Mome (57L 8th in the Midlands National 3 weeks earlier), the DUDE’s prep was also seemingly moderate (25L behind DRUIDS at the Festival). That run was put down by connections to his dislike of a first-time tongue tie and he wouldn’t be the first to sulk at that – Nicholls makes the same excuse for Rocky Creek’s PU when fancied for the Hennessy in November.
    In fact, there is another more pertinent reason. DRUIDS won in a pretty quick time, which over just 25f was simply too rapid a pace for the DUDE. Of course we are comparing apples and oranges but even the DUDE’s excellent win over ½ furlong further on Good at Cheltenham in 2013 was at an appreciably slower pace (0.28 secs per furlong = 28L over the trip – crudely looks about right) but that’s the quickest ground on which he has ever scored.
    In any event, that run is of no concern to the model since apparently poor preps are commonplace among GN winners. Even since Mon Mome, Don’t Push It in 2010 recorded a PU and Auroras Encore in 2013 a 53L 5th in their final preps.
    • Despite the DUDE’s reputation for awkward jumping, he’s never fallen in 17 chases, 4 hurdles and 1 PtP and has UR’d once, with an amateur on board. Most importantly, he handled the GN fences pretty well last time. However, like a number of this year’s runners, he has a first-time pilot in the shape of Liam Treadwell………….now where have I heard that name before? Oh yes, I recall…….he rode Mon Mome to GN victory in 2009!

• A 10 y-o (most common GN winning age since 1996: 7 winners and 5 runners-up), he is set to carry just 10.07, a winnable-with weight (2lbs less and a 2lb lower OR than a year ago)

• 5 runs in the season, the last 32 days ago are both in the “sweet spot” for the stats.

RAIN YOU BASTARD!!!!!

Remaining analysis to come later.
  • Options
    Portrait King now 50-1 on Vic
  • Options
    As a bet-once-a-year-expert at picking horses with funny names who don't win, can I just thank PM in advance even if no winners come through. Adds to the anticipation and the build up, and that's half the fun.

But can someone explain where to go to do a combination forecast bet. William Hill online said try Friday...I don't get it.
  • Options
    Just too many choices for my small brain as i dont understand the full intricacies of betting. Will just stick with the first two now as would spend a fortune adding all those.

thanks. and Good luck.
  • Options
    It's an interesting read Peanuts- I am surprised there is no mention of the King anywhere?
    On what reasons is Balthazar ruled out mate?
    Love the horse and has won me plenty in the past so he will be taking some of my cash- and considering he runs better fresh and a solid performance last year, i'm surprised there is no mention!

Already backed CDR and FL- good chances- and will be e/w on PK and BC

• Options
    edited April 2015
    Big_Bob said:

It's an interesting read Peanuts- I am surprised there is no mention of the King anywhere?
    On what reasons is Balthazar ruled out mate?
    Love the horse and has won me plenty in the past so he will be taking some of my cash- and considering he runs better fresh and a solid performance last year, i'm surprised there is no mention!

Already backed CDR and FL- good chances- and will be e/w on PK and BC

Not in front of my spreadsheet at the mo Chief but from memory model rates BK 5L behind Dolatulo & St Are. IMHO Hobbs just doesn't "get" the GN. He's given BK as light a campaign as when he blew up 2 yrs ago (going & tactics didn't help of course) but his thinking is that his Festival run stopped him winning last year. The stats suggest otherwise. Weight rise & too light a campaign relegate his rating according to my model. BUT IT COULD BE WRONG!
    If he's done well for you and you fancy him please don't let me and my nutty ramblings put you off. :smile:
  • Options

As a bet-once-a-year-expert at picking horses with funny names who don't win, can I just thank PM in advance even if no winners come through. Adds to the anticipation and the build up, and that's half the fun.

But can someone explain where to go to do a combination forecast bet. William Hill online said try Friday...I don't get it.

Forecast bets I guess will be available on the race markets rather than the ante post markets.