Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Kent CCC 2015

1535455565759»

Comments

• Options
    edited October 2015
    kentred2 said:

Some somewhat surprising and disappointing news:

kentcricket.co.uk/news/ryan-davies-signs-for-somerset

In the queue behind Billings but potentially a better player. Ambitious.
    Would have thought Surrey would have been a better option. Much nearer to home and they only have five keepers at the moment.

Interesting how things happen - Buttler left Somerset for Lancs because he couldn't get the gloves off Kieswetter who very soon after had to retire due to injury thus creating this opening for Ryan Davies. Meanwhile Buttler's form suffers and unless it improves quickly he may find himself out of the Test side. And back at Lancs who have Alex Davies - named in this season's PCA Team Of The Year.
  • Options
    Very disappointing news
  • Options
    So where will Kent turn for Billings back up?
  • Options
    edited October 2015
    kentred2 said:

Bell-Drummond can keep wicket I believe.

In the past they got Godfrey Evans out of retirement. Steve Marsh in an emergency or more likely Gojo.
  • Options

Surprising that an 18 year old would leave Kent to get more game time, when he's still learning his trade, and there's a good chance Billings will be absent on international duty.
    Strange that Somerset are so confident that an 18 year old will be experienced enough to be their regular keeper.

• Options
    LenGlover said:

kentred2 said:

Bell-Drummond can keep wicket I believe.

In the past they got Godfrey Evans out of retirement. Steve Marsh in an emergency?
    D B-D isn't an option as you have to be doing it week in week out. The 2nd XI have been using Rob Sehmi of Tunbridge Wells as well as Matt Stiddard and Oli Robinson, both of Bexley. Oli is a Kent scholar but isn't 17 yet.

The likelihood is that, if they don't want to use one of these, they will get in someone from a leaver from another county on a short term contract.

• Options
    Sorry should have said it's a bit too early for Seb - he is only 12 after all ;-)
  • Options
    More "meat on the bone" here:

kentonline.co.uk/canterbury/sport/kent-prospect-signs-for-somerset-44362/

I blame the bloody agent!

At least both sides have left the door open but I am somewhat surprised that he has said he will continue to play for Sandwich in the 2nd tier of Kent cricket!
  • Options
    edited October 2015
    Michael Bates seems to be regarded as a very good keeper, but not so much of a batsman. Hampshire released him, he played a few games for Somerset this summer, but then they signed Luke Ronchi on a short term deal and now Davies. Could be worth a shout?

http://www.espncricinfo.com/county-cricket-2015/content/story/859595.html
  • Options
    Bates is one of the best keepers in the country. Sadly he belongs to another era when batting wasn't so much a requisite. He doesn't average 20 in first class cricket and struggles to attain double figures in all other forms of the game.

If Coles could step up to the mark as a true all rounder it wouldn't quite be so much of an issue but you couldn't with confidence bat him at 7 and a tail of Bates, Coles, Tredwell, Claydon and Thomas would be pretty woeful.

As a short term measure they might be able to lure Geraint Jones out of retirement although I'm not sure how that would fit with his duties as master in charge of cricket at Brentwood School.

• Sponsored links:

• Options
    Davies has been given a three year deal at Somerset which was probably about two years more than at Kent. And he has probably been given the guarantee of first team cricket - subject to form of course.

Somerset have also signed Chris Rogers on a one year deal.
  • Options

Davies has been given a three year deal at Somerset which was probably about two years more than at Kent. And he has probably been given the guarantee of first team cricket - subject to form of course.

There's no way an 18/19 year old can be a guaranteed first teamer though, young players have dips in form as they learn their game. I'd be staggered if he played the whole of next season
  • Options

There's no way an 18/19 year old can be a guaranteed first teamer though, young players have dips in form as they learn their game. I'd be staggered if he played the whole of next season
    In normal circumstances I would say so but there are a few things in Davies' favour - Somerset don't seem to have a legitimate rival for the spot, Davies is an England U19 International so has more experience than your average 19 year old and Jos Buttler (again England U19) played the whole of the season in 2010 for Somerset as a 19 year old, keeping for the first half of the season until Kieswetter returned.
  • Options

In normal circumstances I would say so but there are a few things in Davies' favour - Somerset don't seem to have a legitimate rival for the spot, Davies is an England U19 International so has more experience than your average 19 year old and Jos Buttler (again England U19) played the whole of the season in 2010 for Somerset as a 19 year old, keeping for the first half of the season until Kieswetter returned.
    To me it's one thing having a youngster like Davies in 2015 or Buttler in 2010 covering for an older player, it's another thing to go into that season with the youngster as the main keeper. Especially when 2 out of their top 3 (Trescothick and Rogers) will be twice his age!
  • Options

To me it's one thing having a youngster like Davies in 2015 or Buttler in 2010 covering for an older player, it's another thing to go into that season with the youngster as the main keeper. Especially when 2 out of their top 3 (Trescothick and Rogers) will be twice his age!
    Bet you wouldn't say that if they were all at Kent ;-)

In any case Trescothick has kept for England so he can take the gloves if necessary - sure he can manage four days of keeping and batting!
  • Options

Bet you wouldn't say that if they were all at Kent ;-)

In any case Trescothick has kept for England so he can take the gloves if necessary - sure he can manage four days of keeping and batting!
    I'd be very having then playing for Kent, but I think with Key and Stevens we've enough "experienced" players!
  • Options

I'll be staggered too, mostly because I think it's highly likely Buttler will be sent back to county cricket to get some form
  • Options
    Leuth said:

I'll be staggered too, mostly because I think it's highly likely Buttler will be sent back to county cricket to get some form
    Back to Lancashire or will that county not want to upset Alex Davies? The ECB might then agree for Buttler to go on a short term loan - perhaps to Somerset or even us!
  • Options
    Fixtures for 2016 out today. Some interesting matches. Bit miffed that from 2 June to 19 Sept only 8 days of championship cricket at Canterbury if the matches last 4 days!
  • Options
    edited December 2015
    Ex Kent player Wayne Parnell - more renowned for his quick bowling has scored 99 and 75no for Cape Cobras in last 2 T20 innings as an emergency opener after Richard Levi was hit on head by a stray ball on the head whilst fielding.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    edited December 2015
    who was the sri lankan opener(i think) who played for us, for a season or two?

and didn't he nearly win us a trophy with his batting in a limited overs final?
  • Options

Guessing you mean Aravinda De Silva?
  • Options
    iamdan said:

Guessing you mean Aravinda De Silva?
    yes that's the man, lovely batsman to watch when in full flow.