Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Overrated bands/artists (past & present)

Comments

• Options
    iainment said:

Adele's popularity is amazing to me. Crap singer singing crap dirges.

This 100% - There are so many excellent female singers out there, yet Adele appears to be the pinnacle of female vocalists. Ridiculous.
  • Options
    The Beatles
  • Options
    Phil Collins - average drummer, poor singer
  • Options
    I like Adele but the craze about her lately also baffles me. Yes she is talented, but any more talented than your average female ballad singer?

I saw Sam Smith doing a gig on BBC1 the other week and was amazed by how good his voice actually is. I know men's and women's voices work differently, but he really is on another level when it comes to young British singers
  • Options
    Talal said:

Talal said:

Foals

Thought I'd revisit this, just listened to their latest album and enjoyed it...
    See them live, you'll truly find the light!
  • Options
    Bowie bores me too death.
  • Options
    What a pathetic thread. I am the only one who took it seriously.
  • Options
    edited November 2015
    Nirvana. Best thing Kurt Cobain did for his career was die before anyone found out it was all three chords and jumbled nonsense.

Edit: Um, Rest in peace
  • Sponsored links:

• Options

I had the bad luck to be present in the Hard Rock Café recently with a tribute U2 band, miming to the original songs. I've never heard so much U2 music in one go, and honestly, I plan never to again. The dislike/overrated line is easy to cross, as I logically would'nt put my favourite bands up as overrated. But U2 have a world wide audience and regularly sell huge amounts of CD's, and seats in concerts. From what I heard last week, their output since the Joshua Tree can be put down cheerfully as boring painfull drivel. Most of the tracks seemed similar, and the creative musical level was akin to a médium sized hedgehog on acid. Honestly, seagulls are more musical. You can argue what you like about the musical contributions of anyone from Depeche Mode to AC/DC but if U2 had never existed, the history of music would be exactly the same as they contribute nothing apart from making their fans happy. There's a lot of music I hate, but this lot are a world apart.

I don't know what your taste in music is, but I would give some of their earlier albums a listen, particularly Boy and War (Unforgettable Fire and October are good but not quite as good). It's basically a different band. They're very raw, and both albums have a couple shit songs, but generally I think it's very good stuff.
  • Options
    SDAddick said:

Nirvana. Best thing Kurt Cobain did for his career was die before anyone found out it was all three chords and jumbled nonsense.

Most rock n roll is 3 chords.
  • Options
    SDAddick said:

I had the bad luck to be present in the Hard Rock Café recently with a tribute U2 band, miming to the original songs. I've never heard so much U2 music in one go, and honestly, I plan never to again. The dislike/overrated line is easy to cross, as I logically would'nt put my favourite bands up as overrated. But U2 have a world wide audience and regularly sell huge amounts of CD's, and seats in concerts. From what I heard last week, their output since the Joshua Tree can be put down cheerfully as boring painfull drivel. Most of the tracks seemed similar, and the creative musical level was akin to a médium sized hedgehog on acid. Honestly, seagulls are more musical. You can argue what you like about the musical contributions of anyone from Depeche Mode to AC/DC but if U2 had never existed, the history of music would be exactly the same as they contribute nothing apart from making their fans happy. There's a lot of music I hate, but this lot are a world apart.

I don't know what your taste in music is, but I would give some of their earlier albums a listen, particularly Boy and War (Unforgettable Fire and October are good but not quite as good). It's basically a different band. They're very raw, and both albums have a couple shit songs, but generally I think it's very good stuff.
    One thing I have learned about this thread mate is that you will not change people's minds, especially when you have a few head bangers on here saying that the Beatles or the Stones are over rated.
    U2 are double shit with cheese on pony though.
    "Yeh The Edge, hes a guitar god" - said no one.
  • Options
    Never liked the Monkees; mainly on the basis that the girls I knew fancied them more than me.
  • Options
    pettgra said:

Never liked the Monkees; mainly on the basis that the girls I knew fancied them more than me.

You only fancied them a little bit then?
  • Options
    Bruce Springstein
  • Options
    SDAddick said:

Thankfully he killed off hairspray metal first.
  • Options
    I'd forgotten about this thread..... meant to chip in with a few of these...
    1) Foo Fighters.... agree with all the previous comments... yeah they're okay... but I don't get how they are so big with so few great songs...
    2) Placebo... another band beloved of 'muso's'... can't remember any of their songs.. don't dislike them... just don't understand how they are 'rated'?!?!
    3) Radiohead.... as above... YAWN... I can see why they some people like them... but the general love-in... just don't get it.....
  • Options
    Radiohead, Coldplay and Oasis are the three that jumped out to me. All opinions of course.
  • Options
    The Bandits.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    edited November 2015

DA9 said:

Bowie bores me too death.

Yeah, Bowie,Beatles, Pink Floyd, Stones, Radiohead,Led Zep, The Who, Oasis, Blur,Clapton.Queen.

All rubbish.!
    I never said they were rubbish, I said they were overrated
  • Options
    .......out of them you listed, only Bowie, Beatles, Radiohead, Blur and Queen are overrated though

Floyd, Stones, Led Zep, The Who and Clapton are all either underrated or rated about right
  • Options
    Addickted said:

Bruce Springstein

Can't say I know his work.

Bruce Springsteen is The Boss though. Everyone know that.
  • Options
    Sam Smith (sounds like his in permanent agony).
  • Options
    Van Morrison
    Oasis
    Stone Roses
    The Beautiful South
    Charlie watt
    Richard Hawley
    The Libertines
  • Options
    Riviera said:

What a pathetic thread. I am the only one who took it seriously.

No, I think I posted Sigue Sigue Sputnik a few months back.
  • Options
    Led Zeppelin
  • Options
    Red hot chilli peppers.
  • Options
    Redskin said:

Van Morrison
    Oasis
    Stone Roses
    The Beautiful South
    Charlie watt
    Richard Hawley
    The Libertines

Quite surprised to see Richard Hawley's name in this thread. I always think he's underrated.... But then again, he doesn't do rock music in his solo career so maybe his songs sound boring and old-fashioned to some people. Each to their own.
  • Options
    Riviera said:

pettgra said:

You only fancied them a little bit then?
    Whoops!