Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Overrated bands/artists (past & present)

Comments

• Options
    Neil Diamond.
  • Options
    edited June 2015
  • Options

Greenie said:

The Sex Pistols. The bullshit talked about this pub rock band and their influence on modern music cracks me up.

Er but they did have a massive influence......
    Wouldn't have been Factory Records without them. :smiley:
    The gig was 39 years ago today. http://www.theguardian.com/music/2011/jun/14/sex-pistols-lesser-free-hall
  • Options
    I assume Kula Shaker have had a mention, absolutely drac
  • Options
    limeygent said:

Neil Diamond.

Sold 129 million albums worldwide - yeah he must be overrated
  • Options
    The Beatles, The Bootleg Beatles are better and far more convincing
  • Options
    PeterGage said:

limeygent said:

Neil Diamond.

It makes it more likely he was overrated. If he had only sold 2 albums worldwide it might be possible he was underrated.

Album sales are a poor statistic to use -you dont know if the album is any good before you buy it. I've bought loads of crap albums by, amongst others, Jungle, The National, Peter Bjorn & John.

My suggestions are the Killers and Kings of Leon. Both of a particular generation and I could never understand their popularity. For underrated, I'll go for The Knife.
  • Options
    IA said:

PeterGage said:

limeygent said:

Neil Diamond.

It makes it more likely he was overrated. If he had only sold 2 albums worldwide it might be possible he was underrated.

Album sales are a poor statistic to use -you dont know if the album is any good before you buy it. I've bought loads of crap albums by, amongst others, Jungle, The National, Peter Bjorn & John.

My suggestions are the Killers and Kings of Leon. Both of a particular generation and I could never understand their popularity. For underrated, I'll go for The Knife.

Yeah, 129 million people got it wrong, try again.
  • Options
    129m album sales is not 129m people.

Yeah, it's possible they overrated him.
  • Options
    IA said:

PeterGage said:

limeygent said:

Neil Diamond.

My suggestions are the Killers and Kings of Leon. Both of a particular generation and I could never understand their popularity. For underrated most obscure, I'll go for The Knife.
    Fixed that for you, didn't I.

; )
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    Yeah thanks. Still not encountered anyone who didn't like them when they listened to a few tracks. That's why I mentioned them. You could be the first.
  • Options
    Bon Jovi and U2 have sold 120 million albums or more - yet both seem to be universally hated outside of their core fanbase.
  • Options
    The Beatles overrated? Well tell that to The King and The Chairman of the Board who both along with the likes of Shirley Bassey, David Bowie, Ella Fitzgerald, Ray Charles, The Four Tops, Aretha Franklin and Led Zeplin have at some point in their careers chosen to cover Beatles songs. The list goes on and on.
  • Options
    Back to understanding the difference between 'I don't like them' and 'they're over rated'
  • Options
    You shouldn't be rating the artist from your point of view but almost rating the general public and media on their views and promotion of that artist, in your opinion.

U2 are a good example. A few good early albums and quite a few decent singles but why people have purchased their output for the past 20 years could be questioned - not to mention the media hype.

Rated highly and rightly so in the 80s but overrated since the mid 90s.

The Beatles. Never bought any of their albums.
    You don't have to. Their music is in the Nation's if not the World's psyche, to the level of no other band. (Think of The White Stripes 'Seven Nation Army' sung at football matches x 100,000). Probably, the first major artist the write their own songs. Influenced British culture (albeit influenced by others). You might dislike some or all of their music, or the band members. You might be Robert Elms on BBC London, or you might thing all their music was nicked from Africa or 50s Black America.
    Surely, they are beyond rating?
  • Options
    Greenie said:

Greenie said:

I thought this thread was about over rated bands not about bands you don't like.

Surely it's the same thing!!

If a band have been hugely successful but you think they're shite, in your mind that makes them over rated?
    No its not the same thing at all.
    Its about being constructive as above. Ian Brown cannot carry tune in a bucket, so they are over rated.

Chuck berry is a pony guitar player and therefore overrated.
    Missing the point on Chuck Berry. He was a great songwriter and his guitar riffs have been copied/ripped off by just about every rock guitarist since.
  • Options

Greenie said:

Greenie said:

I thought this thread was about over rated bands not about bands you don't like.

If a band have been hugely successful but you think they're shite, in your mind that makes them over rated?
    Its about being constructive as above. Ian Brown cannot carry tune in a bucket, so they are over rated.

Missing the point on Chuck Berry. He was a great songwriter and his guitar riffs have been copied/ripped off by just about every rock guitarist since.
    No point missed at all HI - Chuck Berry nicked all his Riffs from Johnny Johnson his piano player, the Johnny B Goode riff was a piano riff first, CB adapted it for guitar. For 20 years CB collaborated (borrowed) with Johnny Johnson.
    I understand that Johnny Johnson never earned any royalties from his work with Berry, however Eric Clapton brought him over to the UK in the '90s in recognition for his earlier work, and paid him handsomely to play piano on some of his tours of that era.
    Chuck Berry wrote the same song about 40 times, was a pony guitar player and therefore is over rated.
  • Options
    This demonstrates what I think about people's views in this thread:
    [img]http://s14.postimg.org/j86d7enun/over_rated.png[/img]

The bands that you consider over-rated are definitely among the ones that you don't like. Otherwise you wouldn't say they're over-rated. And my point is that this kind of debate is all about opinions and preferences, not facts. But then again, what is a fact when it comes to define an over-rated band? The name that has appeared most times in this thread? I'm not so sure. If you think a band is over-rated, surely they are or have been rated highly by many other people around the world? So the question is, who's wrong? You or many other people? So back to my point, this on-going discussion is essentially not about over-rated bands but about which bands people like or do not like. So maybe arguing over whether a particular band is over-rated is....well, after all, pointless. ;)
  • Options
    edited June 2015
    Not sure why the image doesn't show. Here's the link: http://s14.postimg.org/j86d7enun/over_rated.png
  • Options
    We should just state which bands would be James Milner if they were footballers.

That should simplify things.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options

Not sure why the image doesn't show. Here's the link: http://s14.postimg.org/j86d7enun/over_rated.png

• Options
    Thanks Friend Or Defoe.
  • Options

We should just state which bands would be James Milner if they were footballers.

That should simplify things.

James Milner would be a middle of the road act like Manic Street Preachers.

Has been around longer than people realise, always seen critically as 'good' but never been seen as a major player.
  • Options
    IA said:

129m album sales is not 129m people.

Yeah, it's possible they overrated him.

Only partially correct. Apparently, ND sold more copies of "Hot August Night" in Australia than there are Head of Households in that country.
  • Options
    Greenie said:

Greenie said:

Greenie said:

No point missed at all HI - Chuck Berry nicked all his Riffs from Johnny Johnson his piano player, the Johnny B Goode riff was a piano riff first, CB adapted it for guitar. For 20 years CB collaborated (borrowed) with Johnny Johnson.
    I understand that Johnny Johnson never earned any royalties from his work with Berry, however Eric Clapton brought him over to the UK in the '90s in recognition for his earlier work, and paid him handsomely to play piano on some of his tours of that era.
    Chuck Berry wrote the same song about 40 times, was a pony guitar player and therefore is over rated.
    Berry wrote Johnny B Goode about Johnson and even Johnson said he had nothing to do with it. He tried to claim 40 years after the event that he co-wrote those songs but never at the time or until 2000. The case was thrown out.

For that one JBG guitar riff Berry deserves to be "never over rated" but he also wrote the lyrics to that and a couple of dozens of other classics.

This when most pop songs were "moon in June". His lyrics were totally different from most of what was going on at the time and inspired a lot of writers including Dylan and the Beatles.
  • Options

Greenie said:

Greenie said:

Greenie said:

Berry wrote Johnny B Goode about Johnson and even Johnson said he had nothing to do with it. He tried to claim 40 years after the event that he co-wrote those songs but never at the time or until 2000. The case was thrown out.

For that one JBG guitar riff Berry deserves to be "never over rated" but he also wrote the lyrics to that and a couple of dozens of other classics.

This when most pop songs were "moon in June". His lyrics were totally different from most of what was going on at the time and inspired a lot of writers including Dylan and the Beatles.
    Will have to agree to disagree other wise it gets dull.
  • Options
    Greenie said:

Greenie said:

Greenie said:

Greenie said:

Will have to agree to disagree other wise it gets dull.
    Made me go back and listen to Berry again so it was worth it

Yes, there is a lot of similarity but there is more than one song and riff.

And the lyrics are great.
  • Options

Nirvana are hands down the most over rated band of all time. Awful music. They're only famous because the awful, depressing singer died. Crap!!

The drummer did alright for himself though!

One of the most incorrect posts in this thread and there have been quite a few.
  • Options
    colthe3rd said:

Nirvana are hands down the most over rated band of all time. Awful music. They're only famous because the awful, depressing singer died. Crap!!

The drummer did alright for himself though!

One of the most incorrect posts in this thread and there have been quite a few.
    In your opinion (Which is my point about this entire thread!)
  • Options
    Riviera said:

The Beatles overrated? Well tell that to The King and The Chairman of the Board who both along with the likes of Shirley Bassey, David Bowie, Ella Fitzgerald, Ray Charles, The Four Tops, Aretha Franklin and Led Zeplin have at some point in their careers chosen to cover Beatles songs. The list goes on and on.

What, and no Candyflip?