Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Overrated bands/artists (past & present)

Comments

• Options

colthe3rd said:

Nirvana are hands down the most over rated band of all time. Awful music. They're only famous because the awful, depressing singer died. Crap!!

The drummer did alright for himself though!

One of the most incorrect posts in this thread and there have been quite a few.
    In your opinion (Which is my point about this entire thread!)
    Arguably yes but...

"They're only famous because the awful, depressing singer died."

Is definitely incorrect.
  • Options
    colthe3rd said:

colthe3rd said:

Nirvana are hands down the most over rated band of all time. Awful music. They're only famous because the awful, depressing singer died. Crap!!

Arguably yes but...

Is definitely incorrect.
    But IMHO its a fair comment. If someone mentions Nirvana I dont think 'what a great band from Seattle and what an excellent contribution they made to music' , I think that a selfish smackhead blew his own brains out.
  • Options
    colthe3rd said:

colthe3rd said:

Arguably yes but...

Is definitely incorrect.
    Fair enough, that may have been a bit strong. I just never thought they were very good at all.

On the other hand, I find The Foo Fighters incredibly talented (& fantastic live)
  • Options
    Greenie said:

colthe3rd said:

colthe3rd said:

Arguably yes but...

Is definitely incorrect.
    But IMHO its a fair comment. If someone mentions Nirvana I dont think 'what a great band from Seattle and what an excellent contribution they made to music' , I think that a selfish smackhead blew his own brains out.
    That says a lot more about you imo.

colthe3rd said:

colthe3rd said:

Arguably yes but...

Is definitely incorrect.
    Fair enough, that may have been a bit strong. I just never thought they were very good at all.

On the other hand, I find The Foo Fighters incredibly talented (& fantastic live)
    The Foos are massively overrated. But saying that and this will contradict your previous point, I like them. But they are incredibly formulaic, shouldn't be as popular as they are, still I generally enjoy their stuff.
  • Options
    colthe3rd said:

Greenie said:

colthe3rd said:

colthe3rd said:

Arguably yes but...

Is definitely incorrect.
    That says a lot more about you imo.

colthe3rd said:

colthe3rd said:

Arguably yes but...

Is definitely incorrect.

The Foos are massively overrated. But saying that and this will contradict your previous point, I like them. But they are incredibly formulaic, shouldn't be as popular as they are, still I generally enjoy their stuff.
    Of course it does....its my opinion............!
  • Options
    edited June 2015
    Don't get the Foo Fighters, find them incredibly dull. I bought pretty much all of their albums back in the day as they seemed like a band that I should like but I couldn't point you to a single song of theirs that I particularly like.
  • Options
    ashley said:

Pink Floyd. Music made by Public School Wankers for Public School Wankers .Same is true of Coldplay ,Genesis and Mumford and Sons. Whereas Bros - just wankers .

Ha! Beethoven, of course only made music for partially deaf German wankers!

In my opinion there was a whole era of Michael Jackson, post Thriller which was wholly overrated. That was a bloke dining out on his past reputation. I heard Man in the Mirror on the radio earlier and Jackson seemed to be shivering so much you wonder why someone couldn't just have lent him a coat. In saying that I am not suggesting that Thriller was a great album but it was ok.

A lot of over-rating comes from someone doing some good stuff and having all subsequent stuff hyped by fans and media regardless of quality.

And all you Neil Diamond lovers, wtf was he on about when he said no-one cares, not even the chair?
  • Options

Greenie said:

Greenie said:

Greenie said:

Greenie said:

I thought this thread was about over rated bands not about bands you don't like.

Surely it's the same thing!!

If a band have been hugely successful but you think they're shite, in your mind that makes them over rated?
    No its not the same thing at all.
    Its about being constructive as above. Ian Brown cannot carry tune in a bucket, so they are over rated.

Chuck berry is a pony guitar player and therefore overrated.
    Missing the point on Chuck Berry. He was a great songwriter and his guitar riffs have been copied/ripped off by just about every rock guitarist since.
    No point missed at all HI - Chuck Berry nicked all his Riffs from Johnny Johnson his piano player, the Johnny B Goode riff was a piano riff first, CB adapted it for guitar. For 20 years CB collaborated (borrowed) with Johnny Johnson.
    I understand that Johnny Johnson never earned any royalties from his work with Berry, however Eric Clapton brought him over to the UK in the '90s in recognition for his earlier work, and paid him handsomely to play piano on some of his tours of that era.
    Chuck Berry wrote the same song about 40 times, was a pony guitar player and therefore is over rated.
    Berry wrote Johnny B Goode about Johnson and even Johnson said he had nothing to do with it. He tried to claim 40 years after the event that he co-wrote those songs but never at the time or until 2000. The case was thrown out.

For that one JBG guitar riff Berry deserves to be "never over rated" but he also wrote the lyrics to that and a couple of dozens of other classics.

This when most pop songs were "moon in June". His lyrics were totally different from most of what was going on at the time and inspired a lot of writers including Dylan and the Beatles.
    Will have to agree to disagree other wise it gets dull.
    Made me go back and listen to Berry again so it was worth it

Yes, there is a lot of similarity but there is more than one song and riff.

And the lyrics are great.
    Yeah, but it ain't My Ding A Ling is it? :wink:
  • Options
    Speaking of Foo Fighters, I have a spare standing ticket for their gig at Wembley with Iggy Pop and Royal Blood supporting, on June 19th. £70 (inc booking fee), just below face value.
  • Options

ashley said:

Pink Floyd. Music made by Public School Wankers for Public School Wankers .Same is true of Coldplay ,Genesis and Mumford and Sons. Whereas Bros - just wankers .

Ha! Beethoven, of course only made music for partially deaf German wankers!

In my opinion there was a whole era of Michael Jackson, post Thriller which was wholly overrated. That was a bloke dining out on his past reputation. I heard Man in the Mirror on the radio earlier and Jackson seemed to be shivering so much you wonder why someone couldn't just have lent him a coat. In saying that I am not suggesting that Thriller was a great album but it was ok.

A lot of over-rating comes from someone doing some good stuff and having all subsequent stuff hyped by fans and media regardless of quality.

And all you Neil Diamond lovers, wtf was he on about when he said no-one cares, not even the chair?
    "I am I Said" was written when he failed a cinematic test to play Lennie Bruce in a film about his life. In "I am I said" ND was saying "Don't ignore me, I am here, I'm a person, I am", hence the reference to an inanimate object, ie "the chair".
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    edited June 2015
    I think more likely he wrote the rubbish lyrics then decided he'd better come up with an explanation, don't believe he was ever that deep.
  • Options
    limeygent said:

I think more likely he wrote the rubbish lyrics then decided he'd better come up with an explanation, don't believe he was ever that deep.

Didnt stop KaizerChiefs.
  • Options
    limeygent said:

It's a fact that her wrote the song after being rejected to play Lennie Bruce in the film. The lyrics of the song are clearly linked to that situation.
  • Options
    Presumably he was seated throughout the audition?
  • Options
    brogib said:

The Beatles, The Bootleg Beatles are better and far more convincing

All they need is a Bootleg Yoko to split them up.

• Options
    Stones
    Led Zepp
    Beatles
    Neil Young
    ACDC

I could go on. All shite especially Beatles. Just a jumped up boy band who got lucky in being one of the first media hyped dross bands. I put them on a level with The Monkees.
    Stones - J Lydon put it well in The great R+R swindle.
    Zepp - So far up their own arses they could no longer hear how shite they were.
    Young - Just a tosser. No? I met the man. Tosser.
    ACDC- Only big for so long because they are Aussies and everything else to come out of that shite continent only makes it on a comic level (Except Kylies left tit)

And I'm no spring chicken.
  • Options
    Oh, and if I hear one more fekin U2 song I'm off down to Finnegans in Dalkey to kick seven bails of shite out of that little fucktard Bono like a ginger step child, and his wankey mates, then I'll bludgeon the wee tosser with Lisa Stansfields severed limbs.
  • Options
    Oi Greenie ya cheeky little bollox. You only think they are the 5 greatest because you overrate them ;)

Algarve my dear boy. I Love love love music, have a vinyl collection of 450+ a (recently come down from the attic and am re amazed at the sound quality over MP3 MP4) CD collection of 6 wine boxes and multiple HD,s. It's just that I like quality music. If you're ever in Dublin, give me A SHOUT and I'll bring you round for a couple of doobies and a proper aural massage. But you'll miss the real action as the Missus won't let me play my trumpet in the house.

• Sponsored links:

• Options
    Aren't all popular bands overrated in the opinion of some?
  • Options
    There are some opinions on here I agree with and some I disagree with.

However, I coould never understand all the fuss made about the Pogues.
  • Options
    I know a woman who was backing singer for and married to one of the pogues
  • Options
    edited June 2015
    scidbox said:

Oh, and if I hear one more fekin U2 song I'm off down to Finnegans in Dalkey to kick seven bails of shite out of that little fucktard Bono like a ginger step child, and his wankey mates, then I'll bludgeon the wee tosser with Lisa Stansfields severed limbs.

Pmsl
  • Options
    Greenie said:

scidbox said:

Stones
    Led Zepp
    Beatles
    Neil Young
    ACDC

I could go on. All shite especially Beatles. Just a jumped up boy band who got lucky in being one of the first media hyped dross bands. I put them on a level with The Monkees.
    Stones - J Lydon put it well in The great R+R swindle.
    Zepp - So far up their own arses they could no longer hear how shite they were.
    Young - Just a tosser. No? I met the man. Tosser.
    ACDC- Only big for so long because they are Aussies and everything else to come out of that shite continent only makes it on a comic level (Except Kylies left tit)

And I'm no spring chicken.

Another, 'I don't like them' bit of confusion.
    How you can list 5 of the Greatest acts ever and say they are over rated is beyond me. I'm not a a Led Zep fan but they were/are blinding at what they do.
    This is the argument though ain't it, a band can only be overrated if they're big to massive.

The only way I see it is this, if one thinks that The Beatles are not overrated, then you must also think that Take That, 1 Direction and Justin Beiber are also not overrated (Which I some how don't think would happen in most Beatle fans cases). ((I personally think that all 3 of those are overrated, although I don't mind a bit of Take That))
  • Options
    scidbox said:

Oi Greenie ya cheeky little bollox. You only think they are the 5 greatest because you overrate them ;)

Algarve my dear boy. I Love love love music, have a vinyl collection of 450+ a (recently come down from the attic and am re amazed at the sound quality over MP3 MP4) CD collection of 6 wine boxes and multiple HD,s. It's just that I like quality music. If you're ever in Dublin, give me A SHOUT and I'll bring you round for a couple of doobies and a proper aural massage. But you'll miss the real action as the Missus won't let me play my trumpet in the house.

Jazz fan by any chance?
  • Options
    Talal said:

Foals

Thought I'd revisit this, just listened to their latest album and enjoyed it...
  • Options
    edited November 2015
    I had the bad luck to be present in the Hard Rock Café recently with a tribute U2 band, miming to the original songs. I've never heard so much U2 music in one go, and honestly, I plan never to again. The dislike/overrated line is easy to cross, as I logically would'nt put my favourite bands up as overrated. But U2 have a world wide audience and regularly sell huge amounts of CD's, and seats in concerts. From what I heard last week, their output since the Joshua Tree can be put down cheerfully as boring painfull drivel. Most of the tracks seemed similar, and the creative musical level was akin to a médium sized hedgehog on acid. Honestly, seagulls are more musical. You can argue what you like about the musical contributions of anyone from Depeche Mode to AC/DC but if U2 had never existed, the history of music would be exactly the same as they contribute nothing apart from making their fans happy. There's a lot of music I hate, but this lot are a world apart.
  • Options
    Never liked U2