Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Overrated bands/artists (past & present)

Comments

• Options
    Greenie said:

Fiiish said:

Fiiish said:

Billy Bragg. Awful person, awful music.

Awful person? Do tell...
    Still wondering why?
    Lets ignore his breathtaking hypocrisy in some of the views he holds or defending the indefensible, I'm genuinely unsure if he uses his shit music to promote a political agenda or uses a political agenda to promote his shit music, or why people seem to still give him the time of day? I can understand why Morrissey still makes headlines because his psychopathic rants are mildly entertaining and he was actually a good musician, but Bragg is both a boring musician and a boring commentator.
    Its a Labour thing Algarve. If Fiiishs wife was about to give birth he would use the phrase "she's in Tory'
    The only more thing more boring than Bragg's music is your incredibly sad obsession with following me round every thread on this board and posting the same boring comments. Get a life son.
  • Options
    @Talal can you explain why Foals are overrated?
  • Options

Although - a lot of better bands from that period do report having seen them and decided to form a band as a result so I am probably talking balls.

Still think they were overrated.

Nah, I agree with you here. Annoys me that they're mentioned in the same breath as The Clash, Ramones, SLF. Noisy boy band that were in the right place at the right time
  • Options
    Fiiish said:

Greenie said:

Fiiish said:

Fiiish said:

Awful person? Do tell...
    Still wondering why?
    Lets ignore his breathtaking hypocrisy in some of the views he holds or defending the indefensible, I'm genuinely unsure if he uses his shit music to promote a political agenda or uses a political agenda to promote his shit music, or why people seem to still give him the time of day? I can understand why Morrissey still makes headlines because his psychopathic rants are mildly entertaining and he was actually a good musician, but Bragg is both a boring musician and a boring commentator.
    Its a Labour thing Algarve. If Fiiishs wife was about to give birth he would use the phrase "she's in Tory'
    The only more thing more boring than Bragg's music is your incredibly sad obsession with following me round every thread on this board and posting the same boring comments. Get a life son.
    Oh dear.........!
  • Options
    brogib said:

Robbie Williams!

I should flag this!! ;-)
  • Options

weird I know but other than his early work I cant stand Robbie Williams
    never liked take that, then he went solo and was decent to start with, but have not liked any off his songs since feel which was 2002, strangely I also think Take That are better without him as well

Take that and Robbie Williams together or apart are the best things EVER in music!!
  • Options
    The Rolling Stones
  • Options
    edited April 2015
    colthe3rd said:

They were nominated for the Mercury Prize and I think they're shit.
  • Options
    Talal said:

colthe3rd said:

Ah, so there we are. You think they are shit so must be overrated.
  • Options
    colthe3rd said:

Talal said:

colthe3rd said:

Nope, read the first bit.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    Fiiish said:

Fiiish said:

Awful person? Do tell...
    Still wondering why?
    Morrissey doesn't have a musical bone in his body, he's a poet, other people write the music.

Not liking someone's political views or their music doesn't make them an awful person in my eyes, just means you disagree with them, basically.
  • Options
    edited April 2015

Fiiish said:

Fiiish said:

Awful person? Do tell...
    Still wondering why?
    Morrissey doesn't have a musical bone in his body, he's a poet, other people write the music.

Not liking someone's political views or their music doesn't make them an awful person in my eyes, just means you disagree with them, basically.
    You missed the point of what I was saying, I don't give a shit if he's Labour, Tory or Green, but he has time and again been pretty hypocritical over his views. If you're going to be outspoken about a political viewpoint, don't sell-out or do the opposite to what your preach and expect people to still like you.
  • Options
    JiMMy 85 said:

Fiiish said:

Awful person? Do tell...
    Still wondering why?
    Bragg wrote my favourite line of all time. I don't know why I like it so much, but it makes me smile every time. - "I saw two shooting stars last night / I wished on them but they were only satellites /
    Is it wrong to wish on space hardware / I wish, I wish, I wish you'd care"
    There's another line in that song I like even more Jimmy: -
    I loved the words you wrote for me
    But that was bloody yesterday
  • Options

The Rolling Stones

Gave you a LOL, giving you the benefit of doubt on that one could have been a flag moment.
  • Options
    Millie Vanillie
  • Options

The Rolling Stones

Gave you a LOL, giving you the benefit of doubt on that one could have been a flag moment.
    You say the Beatles who were miles better.
  • Options

The Rolling Stones

The Stones v Beatles debate has now been going on for over 50 years and only serves to demonstrate their respective popularity and longevity.
  • Options
    colthe3rd said:

Talal said:

colthe3rd said:

But isnt that the point of the thread?

I think emile Heskey is shit but he was considered to be england class. Therefore I think he is overrated.

• Options
    After watching the one show last night ... Wilko Johnson. Past his best, I'd say.
  • Options

The Rolling Stones

No, I wouldn't say that.
    The Beatles still sell over 40 years after they split up.
    The Stones are still going over 50 years after they started.
    Neither are overrated. You cannot have that sort of longevity by just being hyped up.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    _MrDick said:

After watching the one show last night ... Wilko Johnson. Past his best, I'd say.

He has been through a lot in the past couple of years. Maybe Its taken its toll on him.
  • Options
    The Undertones
    Worst band I ever saw live at The Concourde in Brighton was gutted as really looked forward to it.
  • Options

The Rolling Stones

No, I wouldn't say that.
    Neither are overrated. You cannot have that sort of longevity by just being hyped up.
    I'm 100% certain that a fair number of Beatles fans say they like em just coz others do,what I refer to as The Emperors New Clothes effect
  • Options
    brogib said:

The Rolling Stones

No, I wouldn't say that.
    I'm 100% certain that a fair number of Beatles fans say they like em just coz others do,what I refer to as The Emperors New Clothes effect
    As Francis Rossi once said about Michel Jackson's Thriller album. It sold millions but more people on the planet didnt buy it. Doesn't make its a crap album.
  • Options
    brogib said:

The Rolling Stones

No, I wouldn't say that.
    And likewise I am 100% certain that a fair number of people who claim they don't like the Beatles say they don't like them just to be different, what I refer to as the "controversial for the sake of it effect", Rob...

The Beatles, like Elvis Presley, changed the face of popular music, whether you like their music or not is irrelevant, it is a fact so they can never be overrated, disliked, yes, but overrated, never. Your favourite artist would not be the same without them, whoever they may be. Unless you have no interest in pop music at all of course.
  • Options
    MrOneLung said:

colthe3rd said:

Talal said:

colthe3rd said:

But isnt that the point of the thread?

I think emile Heskey is shit but he was considered to be england class. Therefore I think he is overrated.

Not imo. Otherwise it's just a list of artists you think are shit. Now that could be the case but then I think there has to be some combination of sales, popularity, critical acclaim or things along those lines. Obviously it's all subjective as with any opinion on music. There are artists that I like who I think are overrated so it isn't automatically whoever you think is shit but are popular with everyone else.

Going back to Foals, I just fail to see how they are overrated. Talal, if you single piece of evidence is a Mercury nomination that's hardly being overrated. They've had three albums, one has been nominated and it didn't even win.
  • Options
    I'm sorry that it has bothered you so. I will strive to find more sufficient evidence in such important matters in the future.
  • Options

brogib said:

The Rolling Stones

No, I wouldn't say that.
    And likewise I am 100% certain that a fair number of people who claim they don't like the Beatles say they don't like them just to be different, what I refer to as the "controversial for the sake of it effect", Rob...

The Beatles, like Elvis Presley, changed the face of popular music, whether you like their music or not is irrelevant, it is a fact so they can never be overrated, disliked, yes, but overrated, never. Your favourite artist would not be the same without them, whoever they may be. Unless you have no interest in pop music at all of course.
    Honestly, I don't get the hysteria. Any one of those bands from that era coulda changed the face of pop, but it happened to've been them. If I wanted to be contrary for the sake of it, I'd say the same about Elvis, but to me he was a genuine first

(and not only that, I'd have you and DA9 with a price on me head if I said owt about The King like)
  • Options
    brogib said:

brogib said:

The Rolling Stones

No, I wouldn't say that.

Honestly, I don't get the hysteria. Any one of those bands from that era coulda changed the face of pop, but it happened to've been them. If I wanted to be contrary for the sake of it, I'd say the same about Elvis, but to me he was a genuine first

(and not only that, I'd have you and DA9 with a price on me head if I said owt about The King like)
    The Beach Boys did the Beatles better than the Beatles anyway. Pet Sounds is the best album from the period.
  • Options
    edited April 2015
    But it WAS the Beatles who changed the face of pop, and the others followed, including the Beach Boys. Again whether you like the music or not isn't really the point. Even the dear old modfather copied one of their songs...