Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Overrated bands/artists (past & present)

Comments

• Options

REM

Sacrilege.

Bloody underated. How can they be overated when no-one ever mentions them?
  • Options

brogib said:

The Beatles were/are shit Jimmy mate

Find a Beatles album. Listen to it. Look at the year it was recorded. Come back to me with anything else made at that time that is better than it in originality.

This is the reason they were, and still are, so popular.
    Right, just found one; (1964) The Beatles Second Album and I trump it with The Beach Boys Live in Concert
  • Options
    That Vincent Van Gough. His portraits sold for millions but I think he struggled painting ears.
  • Options

Boom said:

brogib said:

The Beatles

This!

Given that they are largely considered the greatest band ever it is not surprising that some people consider them overated. If you are rated no.1 it is after all impossible to be underated.

For me The Rolling Stones are the most overated band ever on the basis that people somehow consider there to be any real competition.

What astounds me about The Beatles is that I can listen to an album and still be surprised at how good some of the 'weaker' songs are.
    Agree that they were exceptional but the McCartney hyper ego completely wrecked it for me - 'Give My Regards to Broadway' being the straw that broke the camel's back.
  • Options

brogib said:

brogib said:

The Beatles were/are shit Jimmy mate

Find a Beatles album. Listen to it. Look at the year it was recorded. Come back to me with anything else made at that time that is better than it in originality.

This is the reason they were, and still are, so popular.
    Right, just found one; (1964) The Beatles Second Album and I trump it with The Beach Boys Live in Concert
    A year after that, they released "Rubber Soul", which the Beach Boys' Brian Wilson considers the greatest album of all time.

On the other hand, Frank Zappa said "All the good music has already been written by people with wigs and stuff".

• Options
    purdis said:

Boom said:

brogib said:

The Beatles

This!

Given that they are largely considered the greatest band ever it is not surprising that some people consider them overated. If you are rated no.1 it is after all impossible to be underated.

For me The Rolling Stones are the most overated band ever on the basis that people somehow consider there to be any real competition.

What astounds me about The Beatles is that I can listen to an album and still be surprised at how good some of the 'weaker' songs are.
    Agree that they were exceptional but the McCartney hyper ego completely wrecked it for me - 'Give My Regards to Broadway' being the straw that broke the camel's back.
    Not that I really care, because reading this thread it's obvious that a lot on here know so little about music that they should get their ears syringed, but that's not the Beatles though is it. ;o)

Over rated bands, The Beach Boys total pony, as were their alleged harmonies.
  • Options
    Greenie said:

purdis said:

Boom said:

brogib said:

The Beatles

This!

Not that I really care, because reading this thread it's obvious that a lot on here know so little about music that they should get their ears syringed, but that's not the Beatles though is it. ;o)

Don't think Oasis would have been around along with many other bands who were hugely influenced by the Beatles - and Beatles influence on music is huge, in general.

It's like I said in an earlier post that many bands are regarded in this thread as what they have become and not what they were and why they were so special and successful.

I was a big fan of the White Album and my favourite ever track is Norwegian Wood.

I also liked Wings for a bit but Lennon's influence was so crucial for The Beatles as was George Harrison's weeping guitar.

Just McCartney spoiled it all for me and stopped me listening as did Bono with U2 - just a personal opinion.
  • Options
    edited April 2015
    Greenie said:

I think the general rule of this thread is "the music I like is the best. the music other people like is just shite'.

My Mrs reminded me that my fave Beatle track is, "A Day in the Life" from Sgt Pepper's and that "Norwegian Wood" was my number 2 fave!
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    Greenie said:

purdis said:

Boom said:

brogib said:

The Beatles

This!

And it was Broad Street not Broadway.....
  • Options
    Having heard their new album featured on Ken Bruce's show recently, can I please nominate Blur if no one else has.
  • Options
    Talal said:

Foals

Brilliant band
  • Options

REM

Sacrilege.

Bloody underated. How can they be overated when no-one ever mentions them?
    I was scanning through 8 pages thinking "nobody will say R.E.M., that would be silly." but there it was. Nobody talks about the incredible back catalogue of totally varied songs they've written over 30 years. It's an astonishing collection. So I find it impossible to class them as overrated, by the public at least. Maybe one could argue Warners paid them too much in that record deal post-Automatic, but even then, they paid that back and then some. Not liking them is one thing, but overrated? Never!
  • Options

Fiiish said:

Billy Bragg. Awful person, awful music.

Awful person? Do tell...
    Still wondering why?
  • Options

Fiiish said:

Awful person? Do tell...
    Still wondering why?
    Bragg wrote my favourite line of all time. I don't know why I like it so much, but it makes me smile every time. - "I saw two shooting stars last night / I wished on them but they were only satellites /
    Is it wrong to wish on space hardware / I wish, I wish, I wish you'd care"
  • Options
    Rod Stewart.
  • Options
    limeygent said:

Rod Stewart.

Loved his early stuff - some really top notch rock and roll which is saying something for me as I was never a rock and roll fan.

Saw him live at Portman Road a few years ago in torrential rain from start to finish but he just got on with it and was bloody superb.

Never bought his records but overrated - that's harsh!
  • Options
    Peter Gabriel.

A true talent for sure but me and the Mrs saw him about 3 years ago at the O2 and he's now all arty farty and takes himself all too seriously and the subsequent crowds he now attracts are of a similar ilk.

Put us off his music and will not be seeing him again. The 02 was like a morgue that night - right miserable bunch.
  • Options
    Sigue Sigue Sputnik

Cant believe no one has mention them. They truly were the most hyped and over rated band of all time.

Some of the bands and solo artists on here changed music.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options

Sigue Sigue Sputnik

Cant believe no one has mention them. They truly were the most hyped and over rated band of all time.

Good call - they were shocking.

What about Milli Vanilli?
  • Options
    purdis said:

Sigue Sigue Sputnik

Good call - they were shocking.

What about Milli Vanilli?
    We never had the opportunity of knowing what they were really like, did we?
  • Options
    I remember hearing that Gorky's Zygotic Mynci were the next big thing, but when they supported the 'Phonics I walked off to the bar. They were dreadful.

Incidentally, pretty much everything Stereophonics did after the perfect Word Gets Around was utter tosh. You can take the small town lads out of the small town... but they won't have anything left to sing about.

Ironically, this is when they get really big. Singing about a holiday to Dallas and France "Stood where Oswald took his shot, in my opinion there's a bigger plot" (Nice To Be Out) - it's fucking Rod Jane and Freddy over here.

The there's the one about having a nice day (Have A Nice Day) but the lowest was probably "Thinking back, thinking of you...Summertime think it was June...Yeah think it was June." (Dakota). Was it June? You sure?
  • Options
    The Sex Pistols. The bullshit talked about this pub rock band and their influence on modern music cracks me up.
  • Options

The Sex Pistols. The bullshit talked about this pub rock band and their influence on modern music cracks me up.

Er but they did have a massive influence......
  • Options
    edited April 2015
    Greenie said:

They rode a wave of change that would have existed without them...In my opinion. And they were just a pub rock band.
  • Options

Greenie said:

They rode a wave of change that would have existed without them...In my opinion.
    OK then.....
  • Options
    edited April 2015
    Although - a lot of better bands from that period do report having seen them and decided to form a band as a result so I am probably talking balls.

Still think they were overrated.
  • Options
    edited April 2015

Fiiish said:

Awful person? Do tell...
    Still wondering why?
    Lets ignore his breathtaking hypocrisy in some of the views he holds or defending the indefensible, I'm genuinely unsure if he uses his shit music to promote a political agenda or uses a political agenda to promote his shit music, or why people seem to still give him the time of day? I can understand why Morrissey still makes headlines because his psychopathic rants are mildly entertaining and he was actually a good musician, but Bragg is both a boring musician and a boring commentator.
  • Options
    Fiiish said:

Fiiish said:

Awful person? Do tell...
    Still wondering why?
    Lets ignore his breathtaking hypocrisy in some of the views he holds or defending the indefensible, I'm genuinely unsure if he uses his shit music to promote a political agenda or uses a political agenda to promote his shit music, or why people seem to still give him the time of day? I can understand why Morrissey still makes headlines because his psychopathic rants are mildly entertaining and he was actually a good musician, but Bragg is both a boring musician and a boring commentator.
    Its a Labour thing Algarve. If Fiiishs wife was about to give birth he would use the phrase "she's in Tory'