Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Overrated bands/artists (past & present)

Comments

• Options
    I bet we all have scrolled through here, ready to name any contributor to this thread as an ars*hol* :-) if they have nominated our favourite band as "overrated". I am pleased to report that there are no are*hol* on here !!
  • Options
    Bob Geldof
    Myriam Faithful
  • Options
    Marriane I mean
  • Options

A cross-city gift from me to you. A list of truly awful bands. Whether they were/are actually rated at all is another matter but, seeing as this thread veered away from overrated bands some time ago, I thought I'd give you these pearlers........

Pretty Ricky
    Wings
    Fleet Foxes
    Rush
    Pearl Jam
    Animal Collective
    LCD Soundsystem
    Dave Matthews Band

Miraculously, I agree with you on all the ones I've heard (which is all of these except Pretty Ricky)

LCD Soundsystem truly are one of the most overrated bands within indie circles IMO
  • Options
    Kiss .. (my ass mfelicker)
    Aerosmith
  • Options
    Dire Straits
    Phil Collins/Genesis
    Cliff Richard
  • Options

Dire Straits
    Phil Collins/Genesis
    Cliff Richard

I listen to Dire Straits and Bread on the train nearly every morning. it's the only music i can sleep to. 100% true
  • Options

Dire Straits

• Options
    brogib said:

Ian Dury and the Blockheads

Weller is a legend to me

Really - well there's a surprise... :smiley:

I can pick a Weller fan out of a crowd of 300, in the dark, while drunk.

• Options
    JaShea99 said:

So after 5 pages pretty much every solo artist/ band is over-rated.

Which is why threads like this are so pointless. They start off ok then people just get silly, start naming whole genres and confuse 'overrated' with 'I don't like'. Then before you know it every artist you can think of has been named.
    I think any "band" where no one plays an instrument and TV karaoke winners is totally justified as an entire genre that is poo, JS...

:smile:

• Sponsored links:

• Options

JaShea99 said:

So after 5 pages pretty much every solo artist/ band is over-rated.

Which is why threads like this are so pointless. They start off ok then people just get silly, start naming whole genres and confuse 'overrated' with 'I don't like'. Then before you know it every artist you can think of has been named.
    I think any "band" where no one plays an instrument and TV karaoke winners is totally justified as an entire genre that is poo, JS...

:smile:

Yes, absolutely.
  • Options

brogib said:

Weller is a legend to me

Gotta be honest, the likes of Bradley Wiggins and blokes that ain't in the business, do look like plonkers with them hair cuts
  • Options
    brogib said:

brogib said:

Weller is a legend to me

Gotta be honest, the likes of Bradley Wiggins and blokes that ain't in the business, do look like plonkers with them hair cuts
    In fairness so do I with mine... :smiley:
  • Options
    Wild beasts. Shit.
  • Options
    There are a lot but here are mine

U2 just ordinary
    The Smiths like Johnny Marr but the music is dross
    Depeche Mode dirge, dirge and more dirge
    Kanye West what is that tosser on about?
    Robbie Williams EVERYTHING about him irritates me
  • Options
    The Barbican have just sent me an email offering to sell me tickets to a July gig when Badly Drawn Boy will be performing the whole of The Hour of Bewilderbeast. Describing it as the album which defined a career of indie pop storytelling....yeah, right.

I suppose as I had BDB in the Worst Record You Ever Bought thread, he needs to be included here as well.
  • Options
    Pink Floyd. Music made by Public School Wankers for Public School Wankers .Same is true of Coldplay ,Genesis and Mumford and Sons. Whereas Bros - just wankers .
  • Options
    edited April 2015
    I was only Grammar School but like them all except Genesis & Bros.

I also liked the music my brothers who went to Crown Woods and sisters who went to Eltham Hill enjoyed such as Motown and a lot of other stuff (reggae and ska included) - and Pink Floyd!

Bowie was one of the first to unify people who had previously stuck with specific genres - in my generation, anyway.

• Options
    Adele.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    Foals
  • Options
    Fiiish said:

Billy Bragg. Awful person, awful music.

Awful person? Do tell...
  • Options
    ashley said:

Pink Floyd. Music made by Public School Wankers for Public School Wankers .Same is true of Coldplay ,Genesis and Mumford and Sons. Whereas Bros - just wankers .

I'm a comp wanker, and I love 'em ( I was introduced to them by a public school wanker though...).
  • Options
    From the past: Queen

From the present: just about everything I hear... shallow, unoriginal, soulless fodder without instruments. The only decent melodies are those nicked from the past.
  • Options

Fiiish said:

Billy Bragg. Awful person, awful music.

Awful person? Do tell...
    In that same way that Janet Street-Porter is
  • Options
    The Beatles were/are shit Jimmy mate