Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Overrated bands/artists (past & present)

Comments

• Options
    Godstone said:

Led Zeppelin

ha ha ha ha you're joking of course, how old are you, teenager?
  • Options

Godstone said:

Led Zeppelin

Or a deaf teenager !
  • Options

Godstone said:

Led Zeppelin

Or a deaf teenager !
    Pardon?
  • Options
    iainment said:

Adele's popularity is amazing to me. Crap singer singing crap dirges.

You are quite right, but only because you don't fall for it/have a more discerning ear.

She is a "pop" star, so she has a massive machine behind her that ensures thronging masses find her popular/believe she is talented, even if there are many millions of singers out there who would be more pleasant to listen to.

That said, I have to say that some of the songs she sings are very well written, even if a bit of a dirge at times.
  • Options
    The first band that comes to mind when judging as overrated for me is Nirvana.
  • Options
    Riviera said:

Adele is something rather special, without doubt the best living British female popular music singer of her generation.

Maybe "best selling".

Compare her to beer Riv. She is like what the can of Fosters is to the draught pint of "Old Dairy".
  • Options
    Riviera said:

Adele is something rather special, without doubt the best living British female popular music singer of her generation.

Only since Cilla has gone
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    Taxi_Lad said:

How they've dated might be up for discussion, but at the time? No frikkin way.

Cobain's mentality meant they would never have lasted until now, but had they recorded new stuff over the last 20 years their sound would have evolved. I'd love to know what they might have done.
  • Options
    Slaves. I like their cover of skepta but apart from the drummer being the singer, don't see anything too amazing about them

went to school with the guitar player, at a private school outside maidstone. Punk my ass. I remember me and my mates taking the piss out of a shit haircut he once had. That's the only reason why i remember him.
  • Options

As for the idea that The Beatles are overrated it's just too preposterous for words. They were the greatest innovators of popular music ever if you think their music simplistic try playing it or reporducing it almost impossible.

All that still don't mean that they weren't overrated though does it. Overrated by definition means that the artists in queastion have to be popular and well liked, else they'd be unpopular and underrated..

Why is it impossible to reproduce The Beatles' music? Can't understand that statement
  • Options
    edited November 2015

As for the idea that The Beatles are overrated it's just too preposterous for words. They were the greatest innovators of popular music ever if you think their music simplistic try playing it or reporducing it almost impossible.

All that still don't mean that they weren't overrated though does it. Overrated by definition means that the artists in queastion have to be popular and well liked, else they'd be unpopular and underrated..

Why is it impossible to reproduce The Beatles' music? Can't understand that statement
    Because John Lennon and George Harrison are dead. ;o)
  • Options
    edited November 2015

No, it doesn't.

• Options
    Redskin said:

No, it doesn't.

Oh, okay then.

• Options

The Beatles...overrated ??? - dont talk rubbish - next thing is you'll be saying One Direction are underrated.
  • Options

The Beatles...overrated ??? - dont talk rubbish - next thing is you'll be saying One Direction are underrated.
    Yeah, because I'm either a Beatles snob, or I'm a One Direction fan.
  • Options
    The Beatles, a million times.
  • Options
    edited December 2015

Slaves. I like their cover of skepta but apart from the drummer being the singer, don't see anything too amazing about them

went to school with the guitar player, at a private school outside maidstone. Punk my ass. I remember me and my mates taking the piss out of a shit haircut he once had. That's the only reason why i remember him.

I can't speak for Laurie, but Isaac is a close friend and you couldn't hope to meet a nicer bloke. I don't think I've ever heard them claiming to be punk. Pretty sure that's a tag that's been given to them by Radio 1.

Slaves are ones of those bands that are stronger live than on the record, this is definitely where their strength lies. I'd recommend checking them out.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    Just had to endure Elbow for 3 minutes tonight ...yuk.
  • Options
    JiMMy 85 said:

Taxi_Lad said:

How they've dated might be up for discussion, but at the time? No frikkin way.

Cobain's mentality meant they would never have lasted until now, but had they recorded new stuff over the last 20 years their sound would have evolved. I'd love to know what they might have done.
    Look at the hairspray crap of the 80s. Grunge kill that off forever and bands like Nirvana deserve a lot of thanks for it! You can't say the same for Brit pop which never took off outside the UK.

How have they dated? I see kids born in this century wearing their iconic smily face t-shirt and noticed a massive Kurt Cobain mural when at Brighton train station.

I'm not even going to get into the Beatles which is the above times 1 million!
  • Options

Just had to endure Elbow for 3 minutes tonight ...yuk.

3, possibly 4 songs are good, the rest are shat imo
  • Options

I can't speak for Laurie, but Isaac is a close friend and you couldn't hope to meet a nicer bloke. I don't think I've ever heard them claiming to be punk. Pretty sure that's a tag that's been given to them by Radio 1.

Slaves are ones of those bands that are stronger live than on the record, this is definitely where their strength lies. I'd recommend checking them out.
    They used to support a mate of mine's pink band (they now support them) and played at various punk festivals. I guess that's where the tag came from but they aren't a punk band IMO, more rock.
  • Options
    The Grateful Dead. Absolute bollocks. If you want to waste 20 minutes of your life then listen to Dark Star live at Fillmore recorded in 1969. Their fans are OCD suffering condescending know all types too.All that Dicks Picks owning everything they ever recorded under the sun bore fest..Yawn yawn yawn Total Emperor's new clothes music .Move on there' s nothing here to see / hear.
  • Options
    ashley said:

The Grateful Dead. Absolute bollocks. If you want to waste 20 minutes of your life then listen to Dark Star live at Fillmore recorded in 1969. Their fans are OCD suffering condescending know all types too.All that Dicks Picks owning everything they ever recorded under the sun bore fest..Yawn yawn yawn Total Emperor's new clothes music .Move on there' s nothing here to see / hear.

You don't like them then?

I do have Workingman's Dead on the iPod but I've never got the rest of their stuff either.
  • Options
    Adele. Yeah, she's got a good voice and made some decent songs, I even like a couple and most of her stuff she writes, at least jointly,

However, the lemming population go mad for her and the exposure she gets is like having it shoved down your throat.

Came to mind when someone rang Radio 2 breakfast with things they thought the presenters wouldn't believe that they didn't like, one was Adele. And the presenters couldn't believe it (although it may have been tongue in cheek, hopefully).
  • Options
    The Feeling
  • Options
    Ft.

Seems to be on hundreds of platters, almost all of them a bag of steaming sh*te. How does he spread himself so thin, and how on earth does he get away with it?
  • Options
    Queen

but maybe I'm biased towards Brian Mays stupid barnet
    Jeezus someone get sum scissors!