Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Overrated bands/artists (past & present)

Comments

• Options

Adele. Yeah, she's got a good voice and made some decent songs, I even like a couple and most of her stuff she writes, at least jointly,

However, the lemming population go mad for her and the exposure she gets is like having it shoved down your throat.

Came to mind when someone rang Radio 2 breakfast with things they thought the presenters wouldn't believe that they didn't like, one was Adele. And the presenters couldn't believe it (although it may have been tongue in cheek, hopefully).

Agree. Good voice but there's just no melody to her songs. Usually the most basic drum beat or one note played on a piano.

Met her once at a gig (not hers). To think I could have pulled her and been living it up. Downside is I'd have to look at her everyday I guess.
  • Options
    colthe3rd said:

Adele. Yeah, she's got a good voice and made some decent songs, I even like a couple and most of her stuff she writes, at least jointly,

However, the lemming population go mad for her and the exposure she gets is like having it shoved down your throat.

Came to mind when someone rang Radio 2 breakfast with things they thought the presenters wouldn't believe that they didn't like, one was Adele. And the presenters couldn't believe it (although it may have been tongue in cheek, hopefully).

Agree. Good voice but there's just no melody to her songs. Usually the most basic drum beat or one note played on a piano.

Met her once at a gig (not hers). To think I could have pulled her and been living it up. Downside is I'd have to look at her everyday I guess.
    No, you'd have been rolling in the deep, or at least in great mounds of fat.

I watched her Glastonbury act. The worst headliner I have ever seen, by a country mile. A short set, standard arrangement of the best known songs. But worst of all, punctuated by long rambling inane chat. Is this what she usually does, blather on to the audience for minutes on end as if its a group of chavs on a hen night? Shut up and sing, you silly cow.
  • Options

colthe3rd said:

Tbf I do that already, at least I'd be going out with a millionaire.
  • Options
    edited July 2016
    Riviera said:

Adele is something rather special, without doubt the best living British female popular music singer of her generation.

I go to a lot of local gigs and although solo female artists are not particularly my cup of tea, I see them since these gigs tend to have 4 to 5 local acts. I'm not talking about down the pub either, this is £10-20 quid a ticket to see a show put together by music producers and dozens of people working behind the scenes to make it all come off. Anyway I must see at least one singer a month who is at least as good, if not better than Adele in terms of vocal ability. Adele's success is thanks to good marketing and luck to be the one picked by music producers, as opposed to her talent. I'm not knocking her as a singer but her voice really is not anything unique or special, there are thousands of other lasses who can emulate her or beat her but simply haven't had the break she has.

Same with Amy Winehouse, did not see the appeal.
  • Options

colthe3rd said:

I watched her Glastonbury act. The worst headliner I have ever seen, by a country mile. A short set, standard arrangement of the best known songs. But worst of all, punctuated by long rambling inane chat. Is this what she usually does, blather on to the audience for minutes on end as if its a group of chavs on a hen night? Shut up and sing, you silly cow.
    Yes she does. I took the wife to see Adele at the O2 in April & she did more chav chat than sing. Really annoying.
  • Options
    Fiiish said:

Riviera said:

Adele is something rather special, without doubt the best living British female popular music singer of her generation.

I go to a lot of local gigs and although solo female artists are not particularly my cup of tea, I see them since these gigs tend to have 4 to 5 local acts. I'm not talking about down the pub either, this is £10-20 quid a ticket to see a show put together by music producers and dozens of people working behind the scenes to make it all come off. Anyway I must see at least one singer a month who is at least as good, if not better than Adele in terms of vocal ability. Adele's success is thanks to good marketing and luck to be the one picked by music producers, as opposed to her talent. I'm not knocking her as a singer but her voice really is not anything unique or special, there are thousands of other lasses who can emulate her or beat her but simply haven't had the break she has.

Same with Amy Winehouse, did not see the appeal.
    If her fella hadn't fucked her about and then dumped her, then she wouldn't have had anything to write about. Adele is a good singer, thats it, but then again so are loads of birds, but because she writes as well as having a likeable personality I think people sling her on the greatness pedestal.
    For me the best current female vocalist is Beth Hart.
  • Options
    In Copenhagen airport bar even beer after beer cannot numb
    The pain of living to Red Hot Chilli Peppers for last hour or so

Boy they are crap same noise lie a fly you cannot swat !! How are they so big ?
    Another beer called for
  • Options
    Sorry for spelling mistakes above hands on ears and typing between tracks fast !
  • Options

In Copenhagen airport bar even beer after beer cannot numb
    The pain of living to Red Hot Chilli Peppers for last hour or so

Boy they are crap same noise lie a fly you cannot swat !! How are they so big ?
    Another beer called for

RHCP are a great band.
  • Options
    Nirvana. COME AT ME!!!!!!!

3 Power chord whiney nonsense. Maybe you had to be there then.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    I agree - Soundgarden were miiiiiles better
  • Options
    SDAddick said:

YES!!!!!!!!! I thought I was the only person in the world who thought this!
  • Options
    edited October 2017

SDAddick said:

YES!!!!!!!!! I thought I was the only person in the world who thought this!
    It's a fight I've been picking for many years.

My original post was a bit hyperbolic. I do kind of get the appeal, that Gen X angst, with the benefit of understanding some of the history. But it just doesn't do anything for me.

I've never really liked RHCP much. But growing up near to where they're from in LA, admittedly 15 years younger, I get their appeal, and maybe that's because of a context I don't have with Nirvana. I also realized recently that there are a handful of RHCP songs that I really like, but they're spread over the course of like 10 years and I think there's a lot of filler in there.
  • Options
    edited October 2017
    People on here, most of whom weren’t even alive, dissing The Beatles just to look and sound cool.
    Absolute fools beyond words......how can you call the band by whom all others are judged overrated.
    You have absolutely no idea in your wildest dreams how they changed the face of popular music around the world, it was a musical revolution the likes of which the world has never seen. Sure, nowadays some of it must seem a bit cheesy and pop musicy and of course naturally somewhat dated, that goes without saying......but “at the time” it most certainly wasn’t and that’s why you’re simply not getting it.....it’s simply beyond your comprehension.
    You had to be there to even begin to understand and if you weren’t then pipe down and stop trying to kid yourself and others that you have any real knowledge re the matter which leads you to make the outrageous comment that they were overrated.
    You may not like them and that’s fine by me, but to say they were overrated is quite frankly an insult to those of us who lived through those times, who knew what took place and witnessed the phenomenon that was The Beatles.
    They will leave a legacy and catalogue of work that will be listened to and revered for centuries to come, whether you like it or not.
  • Options
    The Beatles were pioneering and have a lot of material that still sounds great, but I really do believe their style was improved upon by some of what came after (which is usually an inevitable consequence of innovation). For instance, even in their own heyday I reckon they were bettered by The Byrds (who owed a huge debt to them nevertheless) and then later by XTC (among others). Not knocking their incredible achievements, but I think I enjoy the groundwork they did more than the music a lot of the time. Plus, they weren't (even in the 60s) the be-all and end-all of pop innovation at all - they were reacting to those around them as much as the reverse. If they'd never existed, popular music would still have evolved into many of the forms they pioneered (and who knows what besides?)
  • Options
    Scroobius Pip said it best.

Thou shalt not put musicians and recording artists on ridiculous pedestals no matter how great they are or were.
    The Beatles: Were just a band.
  • Options
    Leuth said:

The Beatles were pioneering and have a lot of material that still sounds great, but I really do believe their style was improved upon by some of what came after (which is usually an inevitable consequence of innovation). For instance, even in their own heyday I reckon they were bettered by The Byrds (who owed a huge debt to them nevertheless) and then later by XTC (among others). Not knocking their incredible achievements, but I think I enjoy the groundwork they did more than the music a lot of the time. Plus, they weren't (even in the 60s) the be-all and end-all of pop innovation at all - they were reacting to those around them as much as the reverse. If they'd never existed, popular music would still have evolved into many of the forms they pioneered (and who knows what besides?)

Oh yes I agree, there has been some better stuff done by any number of bands since their heyday Leuth but that’s not the issue.....stuff that The Beatles could never achieve but it was them who led millions of kids around the world to pick up a guitar and join the musical revolution that was taking place before our very eyes....love it or loath it it’s unquestionably what happened and a new chapter was written and new doors were thrown open as a result of the pioneering phenomenon that was The Beatles.
  • Options
    I'm not for a second doubting their importance in the popular music canon. But they were amongst the first wave of bands using technologies that had just been introduced anyway - they just happened to be the most high-profile, with a budget to match. These technologies would have revolutionised music anyway, and were indeed doing so. They still, to their immense credit, never stopped innovating - they never rested on their laurels - and that for me is their greatest achievement - they solidified an ideal of ambition and experimentation within the new popular narrative.
  • Options
    Fiiish said:

Scroobius Pip said it best.

Thou shalt not put musicians and recording artists on ridiculous pedestals no matter how great they are or were.
    The Beatles: Were just a band.

Gross over simplification.
  • Options
    Leuth said:

I'm not for a second doubting their importance in the popular music canon. But they were amongst the first wave of bands using technologies that had just been introduced anyway - they just happened to be the most high-profile, with a budget to match. These technologies would have revolutionised music anyway, and were indeed doing so. They still, to their immense credit, never stopped innovating - they never rested on their laurels - and that for me is their greatest achievement - they solidified an ideal of ambition and experimentation within the new popular narrative.

That's the point. Their studio, their label, their producers, their managers, the manufacturers of their equipment were all just as pioneering. If it wasn't Paul, Ringo, John & George it would have easily been 4 other people.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    Also I think I made this point before but overrated is simply not an appropriate word to use to describe something that is entirely subjective.

If you like a band you like them. If you don't like them you don't. Maybe you can call a footballer overrated because his price is much higher than other footballers who have better statistics. It simply doesn't work with bands. Overrated is simply a poncey and high-horse way of saying 'I dislike a band most other people like.'
  • Options
    edited October 2017
    Fiiish said:

Leuth said:

That's the point. Their studio, their label, their producers, their managers, the manufacturers of their equipment were all just as pioneering. If it wasn't Paul, Ringo, John & George it would have easily been 4 other people.
    Errrrm no......their song writing made sure of that.....at the time no one else came close to the volume they produced time and time again and in such quick time fire too.
    It really was amazing.
  • Options

People on here, most of whom weren’t even alive, dissing The Beatles just to look and sound cool.
    Absolute fools beyond words......how can you call the band by whom all others are judged overrated.
    You have absolutely no idea in your wildest dreams how they changed the face of popular music around the world, it was a musical revolution the likes of which the world has never seen. Sure, nowadays some of it must seem a bit cheesy and pop musicy and of course naturally somewhat dated, that goes without saying......but “at the time” it most certainly wasn’t and that’s why you’re simply not getting it.....it’s simply beyond your comprehension.
    You had to be there to even begin to understand and if you weren’t then pipe down and stop trying to kid yourself and others that you have any real knowledge re the matter which leads you to make the outrageous comment that they were overrated.
    You may not like them and that’s fine by me, but to say they were overrated is quite frankly an insult to those of us who lived through those times, who knew what took place and witnessed the phenomenon that was The Beatles.
    They will leave a legacy and catalogue of work that will be listened to and revered for centuries to come, whether you like it or not.

This is an odd argument. 'Sure it sounds rubbish now, but at the time there was no-one to compare them to so we thought they were great.' Pretty sure that's a great summary of how a band can be overrated
  • Options

Fiiish said:

Leuth said:

Errrrm no......their song writing made sure of that.....at the time no one else came close to the volume they produced time and time again and in such quick time fire too.
    It really was amazing.
    Just to confirm, you do realise that this is just your opinion, and it is OK for people to disagree with you?

Btw I'm not one of the people you are raging against, but Leuth made some great points regarding that they were very much the right hand in the right moment.
  • Options

This is an odd argument. 'Sure it sounds rubbish now, but at the time there was no-one to compare them to so we thought they were great.' Pretty sure that's a great summary of how a band can be overrated
    Sorry, I’m not following your final sentence?
  • Options
    Fiiish said:

Leuth said:

It could easily have been four other people. A strange argument.

You might as well say the same about Hillary and Everest or Bannister's four minute mile or countless other "firsts".

Bill Haley and the Comets probably deserve a footnote in history. The first rock 'n rollers I can remember. Remember all the ripped up cinema seats when Rock around the Clock film came out. I didn't much like them by the way which is the point of the thread.

• Options
    edited October 2017
    Context is everything.

People can say other people would have done what the Beatles did but they didn't, the Beatles did.

The fabs took their influences (Elvis, Chuck, Buddy, Phil and Don, Little Richard) and took them to the next level and then the next level and then the next.

And not in hindsight or obscurity but there and then.

Crucially, they wrote the songs themselves which seems normal NOW but wasn't then. Context, context, context.

The almost religious praise for the Beatles can be grating and there was some dire stuff like Ob la di but they were ground breakers.

And I say this someone who prefers the Stones any day.

And XTC, good band but please.
  • Options
    Nobody exists in a bubble, least of all the Beatles. But, the competition between the Beatles and Brian Wilson of the beach boys led to some groundbreaking albums. Might it have happened anyway? Moot point.
  • Options

Fiiish said:

Leuth said:

You might as well say the same about Hillary and Everest or Bannister's four minute mile or countless other "firsts".

Bill Haley and the Comets probably deserve a footnote in history. The first rock 'n rollers I can remember. Remember all the ripped up cinema seats when Rock around the Clock film came out. I didn't much like them by the way which is the point of the thread.

It's not really an argument, just a logical conclusion. Hillary wasn't even the first human to climb Everest, probably, just the first person recorded, and even that faces a bit of dispute. Likewise I'm sure someone would have run a 4 minute mile very soon after Bannister.

The point is if The Beatles had never been formed, some other band would have been the first intercontinental pop sensation that every other band would be compared to and influenced by. That isn't diminishing their achievements, just stating a fact. It's the reason why Alexander Graham Bell is credited with inventing the telephone even though an identical device was being produced at the same time. Someone has to be first and make the history books.
  • Options
    Fiiish said:

Fiiish said:

Leuth said:

It's not really an argument, just a logical conclusion. Hillary wasn't even the first human to climb Everest, probably, just the first person recorded, and even that faces a bit of dispute. Likewise I'm sure someone would have run a 4 minute mile very soon after Bannister.

The point is if The Beatles had never been formed, some other band would have been the first intercontinental pop sensation that every other band would be compared to and influenced by. That isn't diminishing their achievements, just stating a fact. It's the reason why Alexander Graham Bell is credited with inventing the telephone even though an identical device was being produced at the same time. Someone has to be first and make the history books.
    Ooooooh.....”a logical conclusion” that some other band would have achieved what they did?
    Wow, that’s a bold statement Fiish.....I refer again to the phenomenal amount of song writing they produced in such a short space of time.....there was no one around then or since that has come even close.