Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.

Charlton Rumours Rumours Rumours - The Big Kahuna

Comments

• dickplumb said:

The fee anyway will be undisclosed so if and when he goes, we will be none the wiser.

You think that will stop this lot telling you that their mates, half brothers, sisters dog walker met a bloke in the park who works in the West Stand kitchens and he overheard Katrien saying that we got £24m, a complete refurb of the ladies loos in the East Stand and a years worth of pulled pork in return for Gomez.
    Why do I always expect to hear a teenager giggle whenever I read "pulled pork"?
  • se9addick said:

Does it really matte how much we get for Gomez ? I would imagine there's transfer budget already assigned to Charlton, as there will be for all clubs in the network and whether we get £1m or £10m I can't see that changing too much.

But KM said herself that she has a target for player sales.

She said that they weren't planning to sell any of the first team as well though.
  • Only Charlton could sell one of their best players for £3.5m to a club about to make a minimum of £50m on one of their own sales.

for a player they paid 600k for

How much did Liverpool sell Shelvey for ?
    £1.5M?
    Thats about what we got.
  • Will be gutted if he moves on whatever the fee.

My stance with all Charlton sales from now is that it doesn't really matter if he is sold for £10 or £10m, there is no evidence that it will all be invested back into Charlton. Liege have sold players for 64m EUR and have paid out for 24m EUR since Roland bought them. We will sometimes benefit from the group aspect, other times others may benefit.

I just wanted to see him play for us and develop for another season, was one of the things I was looking forward to most.

12 months ago I thought we had two real potential rising stars, class acts coming through on our books in Poyet and Gomez. Now for whatever reason, it doesn't look like we'll have either.

Couldn't put it any better.
    Just sat here at work and had a similar discussion. There's no motivation to go and watch next season if we sell our best assets. JBG will go I am now sure because he will see no ambition to keep our best players, to give us the best chance of challenging.
  • se9addick said:

Does it really matte how much we get for Gomez ? I would imagine there's transfer budget already assigned to Charlton, as there will be for all clubs in the network and whether we get £1m or £10m I can't see that changing too much.

She said that they weren't planning to sell any of the first team as well though.
    She also said she interviewed 20 managers.
    Actually she said she had 20 applications
  • edited June 2015

se9addick said:

And I'm sure she carefully considered each one.
    I doubt she had time before Roland told her Luzon was on his way.

Ain't it a bastard when your boss drops you in it like that but that's management for you.
  • se9addick said:

I wouldn't assume that KM and RD have the same targets.
  • Sponsored links:

• By Richard ' Creepy' Cawley

CHARLTON defender Joe Gomez looks set to complete a transfer to Liverpool this week.

The 18-year-old defender is expected to have a medical soon with the Merseyside giants.

No fee has been officially disclosed but Liverpool are believed to have paid an initial £3.5 million for Gomez.

And any talk of an instant loan back to the Addicks is likely to involve a waiting game. The Reds usually like new signings to spend pre-season in their programme - meaning that it would be well into August before they made a decision on a temporary exit.

Gomez is one of English football's outstanding talents and initially opted to snub the country's top clubs because he wanted first-team football sooner - making his debut for Charlton are just 17.
  • £3.5m? Is this serious?
  • £3.5m? Is this serious?

Even if true it's says initial.

• Not sure about JBG reading too much into it. He must have known we'll probably need to sell to bring in talent. I dont think anyone was under the impression that we were flush
  • Gutted he's going but would help if it was a decent dee and could finace a summer spending spree and improve the team but 3.5m isnt enough to do that.
  • se9addick said:

Ain't it a bastard when your boss drops you in it like that but that's management for you.
    Even worse when you then lie in public afterwards.
  • We haven't accepted anything yet, have we? The club won't see all these £8m figures being talked about in the national papers then accept less than half? People cried a river when Diego left but they came in with 6 months left on his contract and as part of the deal we've acquired arguably one of the best keepers in the league in Henderson, Katrien was a lawyer therefore I trust her to get the best deal possible for both Joe and the club

How was that part of the deal?
  • Sponsored links:

• se9addick said:

Did she?

She could hardy say "we started the recruitment process then Roland rang and said its gonna be Luzon"

As I said she got dropped in it by her boss. Been there, done that not nice but that's what you get the money for.
    No, she obviously couldn't say that. Equally, she didn't have to pretend she'd even considered other candidates.
  • se9addick said:

Did she?

She could hardy say "we started the recruitment process then Roland rang and said its gonna be Luzon"

As I said she got dropped in it by her boss. Been there, done that not nice but that's what you get the money for.
    No, she obviously couldn't say that. Equally, she didn't have to pretend she'd even considered other candidates.
    But what if she HAD considered other candidates but was then told "it's Luzon"? So maybe she didn't lie, she just got dropped in it.
  • Will be gutted if he moves on whatever the fee.

My stance with all Charlton sales from now is that it doesn't really matter if he is sold for £10 or £10m, there is no evidence that it will all be invested back into Charlton. Liege have sold players for 64m EUR and have paid out for 24m EUR since Roland bought them. We will sometimes benefit from the group aspect, other times others may benefit.

I just wanted to see him play for us and develop for another season, was one of the things I was looking forward to most.

Spot on. I don't know why so many fans get caught up about the size of transfers these days - its not their own money and I can think of only very, very few examples where a club has sold one of its best players and been better off for it from a footballing perspective.

I couldn't give a toss if Charlton become 3.5m richer or 7m richer. I'm a football fan, not a spreadsheet enthusiast.

• If only £3.5m I would be a bit peeved at our negotiators! I think as a Valley Gold member I may have, along with other Valley Gold members had more input in production of a player of Gomez’s quality than RD, so I would also be entitled to be peeved. However, if it is £3.5m I would expect to see nice extras…..very nice extras’ Look at Bournemouth benefitting from that recently!
  • don't worry about the fee as we'll never get to know it as it will be "undisclosed"
  • Undisclosed. Hmmmn.
    If Liverpool (or whoever) paid £15 up front plus impending extras would it remain undisclosed?
    Or would it remain undisclosed because we don't want to let others know how rich we are?
    Or would it be undisclosed because it is a lousy amount?
    Disclosure of a large fee would strengthen Roland's credibility with the fans, and reassure us to an extent.
    Are these things eventually disclosed anyway to a half decent detective looking at the published accounts whenever they come out?
This discussion has been closed.

Roland Out Forever!