Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.

Charlton Rumours Rumours Rumours - The Big Kahuna

Comments

• It makes u wonder does RD know about the premier league lol so much potential to make the club bigger and better! And he calls himself a business man!!! Pffftttttt

The fact he is an excellent business man and not primarily a football nut, is, some might argue, part of the problem. From a business perspective a potenial 10m into the club for 17 year old is a good deal.

• Lol so 1m a couple of weeks ago, then 3.5 then 4 then 6 then 8 now 9. The rate of inflation so far suggests when we eventually sell him we'll be getting ridiculous amounts of money!
  • It makes u wonder does RD know about the premier league lol so much potential to make the club bigger and better! And he calls himself a business man!!! Pffftttttt

The fact he is an excellent business man and not primarily a football nut, is, some might argue, part of the problem.
    Why is this persistently mentioned.

The man owns more Clubs than Peter Stringfellow, or course he's a football nut.
  • Lucky my son got his signed boots after,Bournemouth, he is going all the way to the top this lad, good luck Joe go smash it.
  • He has started "following" Liverpool FC on twitter.. :(
  • Real shame. He was good last season and a player to build a defence for a play off push this season. Hardly do we see him play and then he has gone/going. Don't remember him getting a song? Still money talks to both player and club. Wonder who the club will use for their 'future is bright' banner this season. Not the best way to attract more fans to the club unless we invest the money wisely.
  • Sponsored links:

• I assume that the Gomez deal will be part of that agreement we signed with Liverpool when Shelvey went. And that we will be getting Sterling in return.
  • Friend of mine in Derby has just texted saying we are in the hunt for Jason Shackell. He plays for Burnley but apparently Derby want to bring him back. Reckons the fee is around £1.5 million.

Just had a quick google on him and he is 31... Only 13 years older than Gomez....
  • Would love to see us get Tom Thorpe who was released from Man United..
  • We were after Shackell last summer I bekieve. VERY Good player at this level. Captain material without a doubt
  • Shackell is class. Believe we were on the verge of signing him in our 2nd championship season
  • Shackell is a left footed centre back .Last season after releasing Richard Wood we did not have one.

It appears Harry Lennon is not ready for the first team so it would fill a gap. Last season according to reports we tried to sign Danny Collins and Naby Sarr so clearly this had been identified as an area for recruitment.
  • hold on everyone
    didn't that nice Mr Murray say that one of the advantages of having RD as owner is that we don't have to sell our young players but can hang on to them for a while and get a better price eventually, after all Gomez is on a long contract and doesn't need to go anywhere

This. Selling the family silver to break even. Not impressed.
  • It pains me how much football transfer fees have become warped in today's day and age. Unless Roland pockets it, £4 million could do a hell of a lot for our club. Like bringing back the opera singer on the final day of the season.

I'm on my way home from a few drinks with an opera singer's girlfriend and I can tell you he'd do anything you liked for £4 let alone £4mn!
  • Addicted said:

In one way it'll be good to get our selling done early, so we can focus on bringing in the new squad and not have potential big numbers for key players hanging over us. In another way having no centre backs (assuming Bikey leaves) when our defense was a key factor last season...

3.5m doesn't go a long way if you're buying proven

I think/fear that CAFC will soon be a kindergarten for young Europeans being tested out for the network .. until January that is when, as last season, we're possibly struggling and there will be moves to bring in experienced Brits as what occurred with the signings of Johnson and Eagles .. though to look on the brighter side, Watt, although a Scot, was a Euro import and he's not too shabby
    And that appears to be the master plan which Powell and Dyer baulked at. Last season we had a midfield of Gudmundsson, Buyens, Cousins and Bulot. All under 25, most with two years left on their contracts last summer, now just 12 months.

But contrast that to Pritchard, Jackson, Stephens/Poyet and Harriott the season before.

For sure we are a shop window but the thing is we always were! Only this time the merchandise goes for a much higher price. We got peanuts for Palmer and compensation for Poyet whereas now Gomez (and others) will go for much bigger fees. Right now we have several players who could fetch decent fees and that covers our losses as well as paying for the next wave of recruitment.

As you say, when we're struggling, older reinforcements are brought in on short term deals but they are not part of the long term. I really hope if we are flying it one season then decent players are acquired in January to push us into the play-offs.

Personally I think this only works for the fans if the club squad improves every six or 12 months. If we, as a club, stand still in 12th then fans will rightly say that selling top talent is short sighted and completely ignores the prospects of FAPL revenues. But if we can sell talent, minimise losses AND improve every season then that's a model which works! Contrast that to many Championship clubs with aging squads and losses of 10M per annum
    @seriously_red, I am pretty sure you could find something positive to say about drowning in a vat of merde / stront.
  • Sponsored links:

• vffvff
    edited June 2015
    Thought that one of the virtues of RD was keeping hold of our young players and be able to see them develop. Apparently not. A team full of cheap players who if any of them are proven to be any good, they will be sold off at the first best opportunity. Now, I understand the Bauer link.
  • edited June 2015
    If the sale of a talented and highly potential player allows us to progress like we it the last season in league one - then that's surely the option we all want!
  • Charlton have had to sell decent young players, but that's because we had to. Shelvey had to be sold to keep the club going. Same with Jenkinson. RD was spun as an owner who would keep hold of the best young players, apparently nothing has changed.
This discussion has been closed.

Roland Out Forever!