Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.

Charlton Rumours Rumours Rumours - The Big Kahuna

Comments

• hold on everyone
    didn't that nice Mr Murray say that one of the advantages of having RD as owner is that we don't have to sell our young players but can hang on to them for a while and get a better price eventually, after all Gomez is on a long contract and doesn't need to go anywhere

How did RD get his money?, presumably by spotting the opportunity to get the maximum return on his assets. I guess he thinks £8 million in the bank is better than £10m plus on the hoof, when he could get injured, lose form, go on a alcoholic bender, change his name to Dolores and become a tap dancer, etc.
  • Madz said:

As much as I'd like to keep Gomez selling him is not the end of the world fgs. Yes we would all want more money for him and yes we'd like to keep our best young players but every player has his price and tbh I wish him all the luck because he didn't reject a contract and not going for tribunal fee which are generally crap.

We are not going to be able to afford to turn down every offer for all of our young prospects. Not a fan of RD , far from it, but are you all serious in thinking he still wouldn't have been sold if jimenez/slater or even Murray/Varney were still in charge ? Yes RD and KM said they wanted to develop our youth and hold onto the best, of course they did. What else would they say?. Also said we don't have to sell our best players. No we don't have to but championship clubs sell to premiership clubs. That's how it works until you are in the premiership. You can't keep everyone especially in the position we are in, which is at best a mid table championship team. One player doesn't make a team and no-one is irreplaceable. As it stands only Gomez is being linked with actually leaving and the money generated could go into building us a strong team, same as what happened with Jenkinson. Speculation that the money won't go back into us is just that. Cousins not going anywhere to my knowledge, neither are henderson, watt, vetokele or JBG, who are all very important players for the coming season.

As said I'm no fan of RD, but I can't see how any previous board would not also cash in on any player if decent money was offered. If SLP report is correct fee wise I'd be happy with that. Not ecstatic but happy enough.

I.just hope we start bringing in players soon so panicking can start to decline a bit.

I thought Cousins, Henderson and JBG were all entering the last 12 months of their contracts. If so I would have thought there is a fairly good chance of us cashing in before they expire.
  • well .. moot point, but I'd have Rufus over Gomez any day of the hypothetical week

Crazy argument, you are comparing Rufus in his prime with Gomez beginning his career. Come to think of it, this whole thread is crazy. 'I think £3 million' followed by 'I think £7 Million' followed by Undisclosed Fee, which will be followed by 'I am told it was £3 Million' followed by 'A reliable source that I can't disclose has said £7 Million'. Followed by we all fall asleep with boredom !
  • Joe Gomez, Jordan Cousins and JBG were the three players constantly watched and scouted by other clubs during the last third of last season.
  • When the big clubs come knocking, the player leaves, even if the club wanted to keep him. If the player wants to go, who could blame them? then that's that.

Fingers crossed he will put some of the money on top of our current budget and get some decent players in. I would be more concerned if Watt was being sold.

Extend the contracts of the players mentioned above and we are starting to build an exciting team.

I cant wait for the start of the season and we will have at least 6-7 new players by then.
  • Madz said:

As much as I'd like to keep Gomez selling him is not the end of the world fgs. Yes we would all want more money for him and yes we'd like to keep our best young players but every player has his price and tbh I wish him all the luck because he didn't reject a contract and not going for tribunal fee which are generally crap.

We are not going to be able to afford to turn down every offer for all of our young prospects. Not a fan of RD , far from it, but are you all serious in thinking he still wouldn't have been sold if jimenez/slater or even Murray/Varney were still in charge ? Yes RD and KM said they wanted to develop our youth and hold onto the best, of course they did. What else would they say?. Also said we don't have to sell our best players. No we don't have to but championship clubs sell to premiership clubs. That's how it works until you are in the premiership. You can't keep everyone especially in the position we are in, which is at best a mid table championship team. One player doesn't make a team and no-one is irreplaceable. As it stands only Gomez is being linked with actually leaving and the money generated could go into building us a strong team, same as what happened with Jenkinson. Speculation that the money won't go back into us is just that. Cousins not going anywhere to my knowledge, neither are henderson, watt, vetokele or JBG, who are all very important players for the coming season.

As said I'm no fan of RD, but I can't see how any previous board would not also cash in on any player if decent money was offered. If SLP report is correct fee wise I'd be happy with that. Not ecstatic but happy enough.

I.just hope we start bringing in players soon so panicking can start to decline a bit.

I thought Cousins, Henderson and JBG were all entering the last 12 months of their contracts. If so I would have thought there is a fairly good chance of us cashing in before they expire.
    To my knowledge they are not going anywhere at the moment and they are key players to us this coming season. No reported official approaches, speculation on JBG and Wolves, but that's it.
  • Crikey I hope Gomez is sold sooner rather than later, then this thread can go back to what it was created for! (bad puns and the rare sighting of something called a rumour) All these fact based rumours and high volume of posts is ruining a perfectly good thread for me.
  • here you go, a rumour:

'Sheffield Wednesday are understood to be considering a move for former Blackpool boss Jose Riga, but they will have to move quickly to fend off interest from French club Metz, HITC Sport has learnt from sources close to the Belgian boss.'
  • We haven't accepted anything yet, have we? The club won't see all these £8m figures being talked about in the national papers then accept less than half? People cried a river when Diego left but they came in with 6 months left on his contract and as part of the deal we've acquired arguably one of the best keepers in the league in Henderson, Katrien was a lawyer therefore I trust her to get the best deal possible for both Joe and the club

Lol
  • We haven't accepted anything yet, have we? The club won't see all these £8m figures being talked about in the national papers then accept less than half? People cried a river when Diego left but they came in with 6 months left on his contract and as part of the deal we've acquired arguably one of the best keepers in the league in Henderson, Katrien was a lawyer therefore I trust her to get the best deal possible for both Joe and the club

How was that part of the deal?
    He was still under contract wasn't he? correct me if I'm wrong but we got him on a free transfer therefore you'd presume the Poyet deal had something to do with it
  • Sponsored links:

• I assume that the Gomez deal will be part of that agreement we signed with Liverpool when Shelvey went. And that we will be getting Sterling in return.

More useful than euros.....

• Charlton could recoup £10m from Joe Gomez transfer
    Monday, 15 June 2015

By Richard Cawley
    JOE Gomez's transfer from Charlton could eventually be worth £10million.

And reports emanating from Merseyside that Liverpool had agreed a deal of £3.5m for the 18-year-old defender are wide of the mark.

The South London Press has been told that Gomez will leave the Addicks but that no deal has been finalised yet.

And any initial deal will be for at least £5m - which could be pushed up to £6m.

But there are also a number of add-ons which mean any deal for Gomez will come in at around £10m.

The youngster has previously snubbed interest from England's top clubs to sign a professional deal with Charlton. And now he is set to seal them a sizeable fee, despite playing just one season at first-team level.

Some, if not all of this has been said, but just seen it and thought for anyone that does not want to read 62 pages, otherwise, hello Colin
  • Granpa said:

well .. moot point, but I'd have Rufus over Gomez any day of the hypothetical week

Crazy argument, you are comparing Rufus in his prime with Gomez beginning his career. Come to think of it, this whole thread is crazy. 'I think £3 million' followed by 'I think £7 Million' followed by Undisclosed Fee, which will be followed by 'I am told it was £3 Million' followed by 'A reliable source that I can't disclose has said £7 Million'. Followed by we all fall asleep with boredom !

Comparing the two at 18, I think Gomez has more talent. We are comparing two outstanding prospects (if we imagine the 18 year old Rufus). Gomez has similar pace and strength, but is better positionally and has considerably more talent on the ball. Rufus was a pure defender, with great pace and strength. Had RR been better on the ball, he'd have been in high demand from the top clubs.
  • looks like Sam Bryam is leaving Leeds for Sunderland for 6m. A similar fee, plus add-on's, is not unreasonable to expect for Joe.

• Aston Villa leading the race to sign Charlton's highly-rated midfielder Jordan Cousins with Liverpool and Newcastle keen
    Follow us: @MailOnline on Twitter | DailyMail on Facebook
  • Sponsored links:

• Hopefully a Gomez sale means we can keep Cousins. Mail reporting that Cousins only has a year left on his contract. That's not true is it?

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/sport/football/article-3126287/Aston-Villa-leading-race-sign-Charlton-s-highly-rated-midfielder-Jordan-Cousins-Liverpool-Newcastle-keen.html
  • Hopefully a Gomez sale means we can keep Cousins. Mail reporting that Cousins only has a year left on his contract. That's not true is it?

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/sport/football/article-3126287/Aston-Villa-leading-race-sign-Charlton-s-highly-rated-midfielder-Jordan-Cousins-Liverpool-Newcastle-keen.html

yeah think it is.
  • Don't understand the backlash about Gomez, as if one of the previous regimes wouldn't have sold him had a good enough offer came in. It's not like RD is suddenly selling off every player he possibly can. We have always been and are likely to always be a selling club along with the vast majority of other clubs.

Always please can people stop posting Twitter links, I can't see them at work and it's getting tedious.
  • colthe3rd said:

Don't understand the backlash about Gomez, as if one of the previous regimes wouldn't have sold him had a good enough offer came in. It's not like RD is suddenly selling off every player he possibly can. We have always been and are likely to always be a selling club along with the vast majority of other clubs.

Always please can people stop posting Twitter links, I can't see them at work and it's getting tedious.

Do some bloody work then !

;-)
  • I would be more worried about Jordon Cousins going than Gomez.
  • I am, just checking here while I wait for a report to run.
  • I would be more worried about Jordon Cousins going than Gomez.

Absolutely.

It could be agent talk so he is offered a contract extension ?.
This discussion has been closed.

Roland Out Forever!