Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.

Charlton Rumours Rumours Rumours - The Big Kahuna

Comments

• From @Transfer Centre 9

Charlton interested in bringing in Neil Danns from Bolton and Peter Ramage released from Crystal Palace #CAFC #BWFC

Maybe Neil Danns yes
  • It's all over twitter now about Cousins. From The Mail to the Nigerian Herald are reporting it.

I don't like this one little bit.

I don't like The Daily Mail, but I have no opinion on the Nigerian Herald, or indeed any Nigerian paper.
  • Derby released Jamie Ward. I was under the impression that he was a good player
  • @monkey_sponge: I've heard Liverpool have been scouting and very impressed with 17 year old Karlan Ahearne-Grant who plays with Charlton Athletic.

@monkey_sponge: Worth saying, Karlan Ahearne-Grant has no shortage of admirers. Has a big future

@monkey_sponge: Same coach who told me this says Joe Gomez is the best CB he's seen at his age in years. Future England international
  • Not sure about selling Gomez. If we get 8million seems good price. But what will he be worth in couple of years. Murray said now club is stable with RD we would not have to sell the young guns as early and as cheaply.just would have like to have seen the team in a couple of years when these players had developed more looks like a great spine for a team Gomez cousins and grant but we won't ever see it again.feel disappointed but this is Charlton and we will bounce back again I'm sure. COYR
  • Not sure about selling Gomez. If we get 8million seems good price. But what will he be worth in couple of years. Murray said now club is stable with RD we would not have to sell the young guns as early and as cheaply.just would have like to have seen the team in a couple of years when these players had developed more looks like a great spine for a team Gomez cousins and grant but we won't ever see it again.feel disappointed but this is Charlton and we will bounce back again I'm sure. COYR

I'm struggling to remember any championship defenders who have commanded a bigger fee. We all know he has enormous potential, but the reality is that he has played 20 games in the Championship
  • So should we be selling h now. Perhaps not.
  • If we get an initial £6/7m plus add ons for Gomez I'll be happy. More controversial will be the loss of Cousins, but, if we re-invest both the Gomez and Cousins back in the team I feel we will be okay. I like Cousins and I think he has performed very well over the last 2 seasons, often out of position. He was immense against Notts Forest at home, one of the best performances I have seen at the Valley in years. However, i'm not 100% sure he'll go onto being the finished article like Gomez has the potential to. I think he needs to slow the game down a bit. He does have a tendency to rush a pass and has been caught in possession a few times. I am nit picking but I think it is important if we weigh up that he is in the final year of his contract, and what we can get for him.

A couple of games spring to mind. Blackburn and Fulham at home this season. He wasn't at fault for any of the goals as such in either game, I'm picking them because against Fulham I thought Parker showed him what a real top midfielder does. Parker is at the end of his career but still had a much tidier game than Cousins. Blackburn was a game I felt we had no control of the middle. This isn't all Cousins' fault, Buyens was particularly poor that game, but it is an example of games he has been overrun.

I'm just balancing the argument around what we could get financially this year before him leaving for free next year. Again it all depends on RD and what we get in. If we don't replace him then yes, panic at the thought of a midfield 3 being contested by JJ, LePoint and Diarra

I think the money that we could get from the sale of both of them, we could easily find an appropriate replacement.
  • So how come he got player of year Sam.
  • Sponsored links:

• For his work rate and attitude Showme.
  • wmcf123 said:

Not sure about selling Gomez. If we get 8million seems good price. But what will he be worth in couple of years. Murray said now club is stable with RD we would not have to sell the young guns as early and as cheaply.just would have like to have seen the team in a couple of years when these players had developed more looks like a great spine for a team Gomez cousins and grant but we won't ever see it again.feel disappointed but this is Charlton and we will bounce back again I'm sure. COYR

I'm struggling to remember any championship defenders who have commanded a bigger fee. We all know he has enormous potential, but the reality is that he has played 20 games in the Championship
    Then let's create a new reality, keep him and play 40 games next season.
  • Signing Lepoint is a clear money spinner.
  • A thought on Gomez that I haven't seen mentioned, in a years time while he should be worth more he'll only have 1 year left on his contract. If he refuses to sign an extension we'll either have to sell to get the best possible price or risk losing him when he's out of contract and only receiving compensation. With another 2 years on his contract at the moment we might get a bigger fee if we sell him now.

He does have an optional further year but it's not clear how that works. The club might want to activate it but I guess that would happen if the player agrees to it?
  • Whilst Gomez will probably get to a higher level, Cousins will be a premiership player and is further along in his development so will be more of a miss to us next season. If we lost Gomez and Cousins, I’m pretty sure we can add JBG to that list from what he has said about wanting to see ambition, so this becomes about how we are going to do next season as not sure we can easily cover off those players and improve!
  • edited June 2015
    Scoham said:

A thought on Gomez that I haven't seen mentioned, in a years time while he should be worth more he'll only have 1 year left on his contract. If he refuses to sign an extension we'll either have to sell to get the best possible price or risk losing him when he's out of contract and only receiving compensation. With another 2 years on his contract at the moment we might get a bigger fee if we sell him now.

He does have an optional further year but it's not clear how that works. The club might want to activate it but I guess that would happen if the player agrees to it?

Good point and quite frankly he would be mad to extend his contract further. I can't think of a reason why he would and I'm a fan that would love to see him stay.

• Of course, if JC, JG and JBG were all sold for a good price, then I am sure RD will use the money to buy some very good players, and not keep the money or invest it in any of his other clubs. I am sure we can relax and depend on this, can't we? please agree with me, or it is very worrying.
  • Thanks for that, whoever it was - I've been at home all week, watching 5 series of Game of Thrones, had the last one to watch and I thought...I'll just have a look at Charlton Life before watching the last one and someone tells what happens to one of the main characters. Why can't people just stick to the thread?
  • Sponsored links:

• ross1 said:

Of course, if JC, JG and JBG were all sold for a good price, then I am sure RD will use the money to buy some very good players, and not keep the money or invest it in any of his other clubs. I am sure we can relax and depend on this, can't we? please agree with me, or it is very worrying.

You'd hope so. But he didn't do that at Standard.
  • ross1 said:

Of course, if JC, JG and JBG were all sold for a good price, then I am sure RD will use the money to buy some very good players, and not keep the money or invest it in any of his other clubs. I am sure we can relax and depend on this, can't we? please agree with me, or it is very worrying.

Considering he's invested more in players than he's received from fees so far then I would have thought we'll get re-investment.

Theres absolutely no evidence at this stage that he's taken anything from the club. He's made some shit decisions but hopefully learned from them.

Key factor is the quality of replacements, and where they are coming from. That's only concern at the moment. More like Watt and less like Tucadean and we'll be alright, but the lack of noise has created a panic
  • ross1 said:

You'd hope so. But he didn't do that at Standard.
    But they did spend some of the money. If we bring in say £10m we could spend half of it on transfer fees and that would be more than we've spent in a long time.
  • Anyone seen Christope Le Pointless has left? What a waste he was.
  • can't say I'm surprised, although I am disappointed. In Dmitrovic we have a decent number 2 and with Mitov coming through maybe it's been decided that the offer received is too good to turn down.
  • don't think he's up to Championship level .. and won't be for quite a while .. so if he goes for a fee .. good
  • edited June 2015
    Could someone who can actually see twitter enlighten me on what that's all about please.
This discussion has been closed.

Roland Out Forever!