Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.

Charlton Rumours Rumours Rumours - The Big Kahuna

Comments

• colthe3rd said:

Once again the loan back talk is coming back. Can people name examples of when this has actually happened?

Zaha
  • stonemuse said:

colthe3rd said:

Once again the loan back talk is coming back. Can people name examples of when this has actually happened?

Zaha
    I knew that was going to be mentioned but that was a transfer in January so it was more that it was arranged then but to actually go through in the summer.
  • I think the loan back is peculiar to a relatively small number of cases and this is one. Gomez doesn’t realistically stand much chance of featuring for Liverpool and they are clearly buying him for what he promises to be. So they would most likely want to loan him. This would give us the opportunity to make this a condition of a deal as it probably won’t be too big an issue for Liverpool whether he goes to us or Derby. In fact, there may be an argument that he is developing well with us and so it is best not to mess around with that. We benefit because it is likely he will be useful for us – everybody benefits. If I was negotiating I wouldn’t link this to a price discount, it is a no brainer.
  • colthe3rd said:

colthe3rd said:

The two players Forest sold to Newcastle.

http://www.nottinghamforest.co.uk//news/article/magpies-swoop-for-jamaal-and-karl-1802814.aspx?site=desktop
  • Yeah it sounds good to us and why wouldn't it? We'll give you £x and you can have him back for a year. I don't really see what Liverpool would gain from that. If they are willing to buy him now and not to let his value decrease by letting him stay then they'll want to look at him close up. Perhaps he would be loaned out in Jan at best a bit earlier but I'd say there is practically no chance we'll see him in a Charlton shirt again if he goes. There's no precedence for it and it really just isn't in Liverpool's interest to do so.
  • edited June 2015
    Deleted this one - got it wrong!
  • People might not like this perspective but I've noticed a few saying that Gudmundsson won't like the supposed lack of ambition being shown by selling Gomez; I think it might be the opposite. Imagine if Johann went to Katrien to discuss whether he'd sign a new contract and she said that we'd just sold a player who played 24 times for us for over £6 million and that was all going back into the playing squad. I'd see that as more ambitious than holding on to Gomez and bringing hardly any new players in
  • And examples of when Charlton managed to negotiate a loan back?

If he comes back on loan then he does. If not we'll have to get someone else. Ffs chill.
  • Sponsored links:

If he comes back on loan then he does. If not we'll have to get someone else. Ffs chill.
    I am. I'm not bothered about him coming back on loan. I'd rather have a big fee. Chill.

I am. I'm not bothered about him coming back on loan. I'd rather have a big fee. Chill.
    6 million up front for a player that has only experienced one season in the Championship is a big fee... Why would you not want him back on loan...?
  • We need 8/9 players, assuming Gomez doesn't come back: right back competition, 2 centre backs, 2 centre mids, arguably a right mid , a left mid and at least 1 striker . Should be doable with 6 million, especially given what we have lost from the wage bill. Obviously we will need more than this if Cousins and JBG leave
  • If Gomez and Bikey leave, we will need more than 2 CB's

We should be assertive enough to make the case that we are good at developing young players - quote Wenger and the resurrection of Coquelin as a reference. I'm sure that Gomez as a 17 year old will develop better in a set up and with coaches that he know already - than being loaned out to some other outfit. Sure the Premiership club might wish to place some limits on the number of games he plays, the treatment of any injuries, emergency recalls whatever - but that is all part of the negotiations and the give and take that would be necessary.

• Last pre season this thread was taken over by a player supposedly signing for us that never happened and now this season it's taken up by a player supposedly leaving us......so judging from last season no one knows what's gonna happen. So can we all stop moaning and crying until something actually happens and can we now start having some rumours of who is coming to us rather then who's leaving us!!
  • ross1 said:

If Gomez and Bikey leave, we will need more than 2 CB's

True
  • Southampton in for Joe, £6m.
  • Sell him to Arsenal for 6-8m. Get a loan back in the first year and a first refusal on any loans in his second season.

That'll do for me! They should be receptive to that idea after what we did for Coquelin! And Song! And Jenkinson! And Frimp... oh wait, never mind.

Higher !!!

• Sponsored links:

6 million up front for a player that has only experienced one season in the Championship is a big fee... Why would you not want him back on loan...?
    I'd love him back but it's not going to happen. I meant I'd rather have a big fee and no loan than a low fee and a loan back for one season.
  • Last pre season this thread was taken over by a player supposedly signing for us that negver happened and now this season it's taken up by a player supposedly leaving us......so judging from last season no one knows what's gonna happen. So can we all stop moaning and crying until something actually happens and can we now start having some rumours of who is coming to us rather then who's leaving us!!

I heard Delort is interested in a move to us... His Dad reckons so too.
  • Agree with the 'Sell Him' side of the debate on here, much as I'd like to keep young Joe, you could argue that his value is at a premium now, before he hit's the notorious 'second season' syndrome. I think that with the kind of numbers being talked about here ($6M), you should be able to build a side that is finishing comfortably top half.

Not sure going there is the best thing for his career, but that is another debate entirely.
  • If they really are 3 or 4 clubs after him, we should be getting more than £6m. Let the bidding begin.

That would be amazing. Sell him to Saints to £6 million and include a sell-on fee. When a Champions League team inevitably buy him off Saints we'll get even more cash
  • A bidding war is what we want. It means we hold the aces. The loan back option could be, if he is going to be loaned to a Championship side – it has to be us. I can’t see any buyer not being happy to sign up to that.
This discussion has been closed.

Roland Out Forever!