Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.

Charlton Rumours Rumours Rumours - The Big Kahuna

Comments

• Could someone who can actually see twitter can enlighten me on what that's all about please.

Bury are close to signing Charlton Athletic Goalkeeper: Nick Pope
  • Thank you :)
  • https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/2014–15_Charlton_Athletic_F.C._season#Transfers

Looking at this list of our transfers last season, NONE of them had arrived by this point of the summer, Igor being the first permanent on the 24th June, and Yoni the first loan signing on the 21st June

Looking at this list of our transfers last season, NONE of them had arrived by this point of the summer, Igor being the first permanent on the 24th June, and Yoni the first loan signing on the 21st June

Right, but had we sold the core of our team as well? Let's face it, Gomez is going, Gudmundson will probably go too and if a half-decent offer comes in for Cousins he'll be sold as well. Somehow, when all Roland and Katrien had to do this summer was keep our players and build on last season, they're going to have another transfer window of rebuilding. It could and should have been avoided.

Right, but had we sold the core of our team as well? Let's face it, Gomez is going, Gudmundson will probably go too and if a half-decent offer comes in for Cousins he'll be sold as well. Somehow, when all Roland and Katrien had to do this summer was keep our players and build on last season, they're going to have another transfer window of rebuilding. It could and should have been avoided.
    And on the other hand, at the moment, JBG & Cousins are likely to stay. So it will have been avoided.
  • Jesus H Christ some of you lot have us relegated in the June before the season starts. A record even for CL.

The amount of negative buggers on here is increasing as the years go by, its just draining.

Heres a number just in case:- 08457 90 90 90

And on the other hand, at the moment, JBG & Cousins are likely to stay. So it will have been avoided.
    Both have a year left on their contract. Unless they sign new deals, they'll be sold this summer or in January. Gudmundson has already spoken about leaving and Cousins is being linked with a few Premier League clubs. Do you think Duchatelet will turn any bids down for either of them?

Both have a year left on their contract. Unless they sign new deals, they'll be sold this summer or in January. Gudmundson has already spoken about leaving and Cousins is being linked with a few Premier League clubs. Do you think Duchatelet will turn any bids down for either of them?
    I think he will if they don't match his valuations. If they do or exceed what we have as a price then it's decent enough business.

Can't we just chill,out and see what happens.

• Sponsored links:

I think he will if they don't match his valuations. If they do or exceed what we have as a price then it's decent enough business.

I just don't get why Gudmundson was only given a two-year contract.

Isn't hindsight a wonderful thing.

It's not hindsight though is it?
  • ross1 said:

Of course, if JC, JG and JBG were all sold for a good price, then I am sure RD will use the money to buy some very good players, and not keep the money or invest it in any of his other clubs. I am sure we can relax and depend on this, can't we? please agree with me, or it is very worrying.

The short answer is that we can't yet be sure. RD will decide how the money is to be allocated across his network of clubs. There's no reason to believe that all player sales income will be ring-fenced to the selling club, nor does it make sense to sell decent Charlton players and replace them with cheap donkeys. But then not everything RD does is logical....Kerm, Polish Pete, Morrison, No Point etc.

I was always told not to worry about things you can't control or influence, so I'm not worrying. Nor am I rushing to renew my ST- I'll wait and see whether we have a competitive squad.

Well perhaps. Firstly he might not sign a contract longer than 2 years. Secondly if we had offered him four and he had turned out to be not good enough ? The fact he has proved to be excellent makes the two year deal less than ideal. Hindsight.

• It's absolutely hindsight. It's just one of those things.

This time last year we were on the brink of losing Poyet without any signings and the same faces came out predicting our impending demise.

We're likely to lose Gomez for 5-6m plus and as yet there have been no concrete rumours re: Cousins or JBG.

We are in a stronger position this summer than we were last, believe it or not.

Good post.
  • Sponsored links:

This time last year we were on the brink of losing Poyet without any signings and the same faces came out predicting our impending demise.

We're likely to lose Gomez for 5-6m plus and as yet there have been no concrete rumours re: Cousins or JBG.

And who knows in 12 months time we might be in an even stronger position with or without Gomez, JBG etc

And who knows in 12 months time we might be in an even stronger position with or without Gomez, JBG etc
    That's the hope! My point was only that at this stage of the summer there is no easy way to tell what kind of season your team is going to have.

Sometimes you can only work it out by Christmas.
  • Not saying who is right, but I strongly sense the powers that be, believe they have better goalkeeping options, so cash in Pope.

Spot on. We all need to relax and see what the next six weeks brings.
  • Jesus H Christ some of you lot have us relegated in the June before the season starts. A record even for CL.

We've just got rid of Lepoint, what do you expect?
  • Greenie said:

Jesus H Christ some of you lot have us relegated in the June before the season starts. A record even for CL.

The amount of negative buggers on here is increasing as the years go by, its just draining.

It's as if the older people get the more negative they become.

Well perhaps. Firstly he might not sign a contract longer than 2 years. Secondly if we had offered him four and he had turned out to be not good enough ? The fact he has proved to be excellent makes the two year deal less than ideal. Hindsight.

Or crystal balls.

• To be fair- if we lose Gomez for X millions and get him back on loan, we are in a stronger position than last season. If we lose Cousins and JBG, they wont be easy to replace. If the objective of the club is to sell and rebuild every year, I can’t honestly see any way other than it catching up with us at some point. If it is to build and strengthen, I don’t see how we can have a much better platform than we currently have. The club has not been good at building on platforms in recent years – irrespective of owners – and it would be disappointing if this continues ad infinitum. Not saying it will – we have to see how all this pans out – no evidence yet to show it will go one way or the other, but I don’t feel confident I can say which way it will go.
  • Once again the loan back talk is coming back. Can people name examples of when this has actually happened?
  • colthe3rd said:

Greenie said:

Jesus H Christ some of you lot have us relegated in the June before the season starts. A record even for CL.

It's as if the older people get the more negative they become.
    Yes Col I agree and I am an old bugger......but I still don't get it?
This discussion has been closed.

Roland Out Forever!