Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.

Charlton Rumours Rumours Rumours - The Big Kahuna

Comments

• Oh dear
  • Am keeping an eye on this Moore kid in u21's
  • Valley11 said:

Wouldn't it be great if the Gomez money was used to build a Championship promotion winning team in the same way the Jenkinson cash was used to get out of League 1....go on Roland, you know it makes sense.

Would be good but I doubt he is being sold for 15m
  • Derby have signed Weimann from villa!
  • Bauer and Bulot?
  • I reckon Bauer and Bulot. Not sure who the other is
  • Sponsored links:

• It will be interesting to see if the prospective newcomers will be announced (though of course NOT officially signed- not open yet, etc etc) once the Gomez deal is done and dusted. One of our top prospects has gone... but hey, we did just sign this German guy you've probably never heard of, so... that's okay, right?

• Bauer and Bulot?

I reckon so. I seem to remember hearing KM said Bulot's wages were a stumbling block. I'm confused as to what happens if we do sign him. Has he basically agreed to take a wage cut to fit our financial parameters, or does he stay on the same wages given it's RD's money anyway and he was paying him at SL
  • cabbles said:

Bauer and Bulot?

I reckon so. I seem to remember hearing KM said Bulot's wages were a stumbling block. I'm confused as to what happens if we do sign him. Has he basically agreed to take a wage cut to fit our financial parameters, or does he stay on the same wages given it's RD's money anyway and he was paying him at SL
    Maybe the Gomez money might loosen the wage budget a bit more to allow the likes of Bulot and other incoming players to sign permanently.
  • Cousins to be offered new contract

good news (when he accepts).

It's almost as if CAFC are using the SLP to get some positive news on transfer and the Gomez fee out there : - )
  • Sponsored links:

• Encouraging.
  • ross1 said:

Of course, if JC, JG and JBG were all sold for a good price, then I am sure RD will use the money to buy some very good players, and not keep the money or invest it in any of his other clubs. I am sure we can relax and depend on this, can't we? please agree with me, or it is very worrying.

The short answer is that we can't yet be sure. RD will decide how the money is to be allocated across his network of clubs. There's no reason to believe that all player sales income will be ring-fenced to the selling club, nor does it make sense to sell decent Charlton players and replace them with cheap donkeys. But then not everything RD does is logical....Kerm, Polish Pete, Morrison, No Point etc.

I was always told not to worry about things you can't control or influence, so I'm not worrying. Nor am I rushing to renew my ST- I'll wait and see whether we have a competitive squad.
    Gentlemen, if one mentions Vetokele to the average football enthusiast in Belgium, chances are that you'll see question marks in their eyes. However, just mention Lepoint, and probably everyone will say "good player". It's clear he didn't add much to the game for you guys, but what was the reason ? So, probably good for everybody that he left Charlton, but please ... give the guy some slack.
  • Interesting that John Bostock features in the SLP on the day that another talented and young English player moves to a Premier League club.
  • Will be back in the UK soon John Bostock found his mojo again for football
  • The reason people are so concerned is because Joe Gomez is so good, and a player who comes round once in a generation. I have watched a lot of youth football over the years, ours and other players, and remember seeing a young Sol Campbell for Tottenham. Campbell was so outstandingly good in those days, at 17 he looked a certainty, as it proved to be. Our equivalent, Richard Rufus had a similar presence, and from what I have seen of Joe Gomez it is the same.
    It is an aching shame that we will lose him, but if we have to then it ought to be for a fee that reflects his rare worth.
    I am confused by the release clause aspect of things, but anyway I want him to stay, however the deal ought to be our best ever transfer out, certainly more than the money for Parker.
  • Article on SkySports here with John Bostock... http://www1.skysports.com/football/news/11096/9888942/bostock-in-belgium

Maybe worth a punt in that forward looking Midfield type role us fans are looking for?
  • seth plum said:

The reason people are so concerned is because Joe Gomez is so good, and a player who comes round once in a generation. I have watched a lot of youth football over the years, ours and other players, and remember seeing a young Sol Campbell for Tottenham. Campbell was so outstandingly good in those days, at 17 he looked a certainty, as it proved to be. Our equivalent, Richard Rufus had a similar presence, and from what I have seen of Joe Gomez it is the same.
    It is an aching shame that we will lose him, but if we have to then it ought to be for a fee that reflects his rare worth.
    I am confused by the release clause aspect of things, but anyway I want him to stay, however the deal ought to be our best ever transfer out, certainly more than the money for Parker.

Won't be more than Parker or Bent not until he's sold and we get a percentage of that, assuming there is a sell on fee.

Seems to release clause story was false anyway.
  • skywalker said:

ross1 said:

Of course, if JC, JG and JBG were all sold for a good price, then I am sure RD will use the money to buy some very good players, and not keep the money or invest it in any of his other clubs. I am sure we can relax and depend on this, can't we? please agree with me, or it is very worrying.

The short answer is that we can't yet be sure. RD will decide how the money is to be allocated across his network of clubs. There's no reason to believe that all player sales income will be ring-fenced to the selling club, nor does it make sense to sell decent Charlton players and replace them with cheap donkeys. But then not everything RD does is logical....Kerm, Polish Pete, Morrison, No Point etc.

I was always told not to worry about things you can't control or influence, so I'm not worrying. Nor am I rushing to renew my ST- I'll wait and see whether we have a competitive squad.
    Gentlemen, if one mentions Vetokele to the average football enthusiast in Belgium, chances are that you'll see question marks in their eyes. However, just mention Lepoint, and probably everyone will say "good player". It's clear he didn't add much to the game for you guys, but what was the reason ? So, probably good for everybody that he left Charlton, but please ... give the guy some slack.
    No touch, no mobility, no positional sense, no passing ability. What do you suggest are the reasons for him not succeeding?

FYI, I don't recall anyone getting on his back (although I didn't go to Cardiff away). Most of us question why he was brought in in the first place.
This discussion has been closed.

Roland Out Forever!