Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Ben Roberts to depart? (Departed)

Comments

• Options
    Don't worry.
    Be happy.
  • Options
    Where's big merv
  • Options
    Chris Powell should have hung about this post would be right up his Street
  • Options

Dean Keily???

literally only just joined norwich so that'll be a no
  • Options
    Pity he's gone. He was (is) very well thought of.

Good luck Ben.
  • Options
    Roberts received high praise from Henderson last season and Hamer was equally complimentary the previous year.
    So naturally it is a loss for us.

'ripping the heart out of the club' is a bit too much, but let's see who they appoint as the new GK coach before we start crying into our pints of Meantime, eh?

That said, moving to Brighton ( yeah lovely stadium and that) is a bit of an odd move after the season they have just had.
  • Options
    cfgs said:

Charlton Athletic FC ‏@CAFCofficial 5m5 minutes ago

ROBERTS DEPARTS: Goalkeeping Coach Ben Roberts has today joined @OfficialBHAFC --> http://www.cafc.co.uk/news/article/charlton-brighton-hove-albion-ben-roberts-2503496.aspx … #cafc

What i want to know is was it 4.5 years, 5 years or nearly 8 years???!!! Make your mind up.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    edited June 2015
    Shame he's gone. Maybe he did want a change of scene, there are plenty of people I know who move around my industry every 3/4/5 years just to keep 'hungry'.
    The Brighton fan at work said he is still very well thought of on the south coast and with Nathan being down there, probably a good choice
  • Options

Shouting panic before people have even commented just closes down discussions and polarises debate.

People are labelled "bed wetters" or "head in sands" before anything had been discussed.

IMHO Roberts is a big loss.

It also points to things being less than ideal at SL. He hasn't gone to prem club who can pay vastly more and he lives in Greenwich so it's not location.

You can disagree but this isn't panic, it's concern. Any organisation should be concerned at losing key staff and ask why?

Good luck Ben, top coach, top bloke.

Agreed. We're losing too many good men at the moment. Losing ones that are also excellent at their jobs is a bigger concern, particularly to a comparable club.
  • Options
    Couldn't give a fuck plenty of goalkeeping coaches out there, but really looking forward to 20 pages of blind panic and pant pooing.
  • Options
    edited June 2015

cfgs said:

Charlton Athletic FC ‏@CAFCofficial 5m5 minutes ago

ROBERTS DEPARTS: Goalkeeping Coach Ben Roberts has today joined @OfficialBHAFC --> http://www.cafc.co.uk/news/article/charlton-brighton-hove-albion-ben-roberts-2503496.aspx … #cafc

What i want to know is was it 4.5 years, 5 years or nearly 8 years???!!! Make your mind up.
    4-and-a-half as coach (nearly five) and eight years including his three years as a player. Keep up! ;)
  • Options
    That's a shame. From what people have said he was a great guy to have around.

Hopefully the new guy will stop pinging the ball at me in the north lower before games :-)
  • Options
    Good luck Ben, and thanks.
  • Options

Couldn't give a fuck plenty of goalkeeping coaches out there?

Are there? If that's the case, how come our keepers past and present have gone out of their way to say what a good coach he is? Surely they should just be saying "he's an okay coach, no different from any other goalkeeping coach out there." And why have Brighton gone to the trouble of trying to nick him off us? Based on what you've said, they might as well have just plucked some bloke out of his local and offered him the job.

Not seen anyone "blind panicking" on here, it's just yet another bit of negative news, most of us are used to it now.
  • Options
    never mind go get some tissue
  • Sponsored links:

• Options

Very astute. You'd make a good traffic warden.
  • Options
    wmcf123 said:

Shouting panic before people have even commented just closes down discussions and polarises debate.

People are labelled "bed wetters" or "head in sands" before anything had been discussed.

IMHO Roberts is a big loss.

It also points to things being less than ideal at SL. He hasn't gone to prem club who can pay vastly more and he lives in Greenwich so it's not location.

You can disagree but this isn't panic, it's concern. Any organisation should be concerned at losing key staff and ask why?

Good luck Ben, top coach, top bloke.

Agreed. We're losing too many good men at the moment. Losing ones that are also excellent at their jobs is a bigger concern, particularly to a comparable club.
    Oh come on, this isn't WW2.

as good as he is, he's been here a while now in terms of footballing time, 18 months of which have been under RD's leadership. If he was responsible for bringing Henderson to the club, then it goes to show that the people at the top value the input of our coaching staff.

It appears that his mate has just been made first team coach at Brighton, he's had a little word in his ear and he's moved down there.

The club now has the opportunity to bring in another Head Goalkeeping coach, perhaps with a better reputation and CV than Ben's, which could bring players like Henderson and Dmitrovic on to be even better.
  • Options
    Have had the pleasure of meeting Ben on a couple of occasions. A canny, approachable guy with many funny stories. He will be a loss in my opinion because by the way he spoke he did care about what was happening at the club and he knew his stuff. We don't know the real reasons for his departure but all the best Ben.
  • Options

Popular member of the coaching staff? Tick
    Eye for spotting talent? Tick
    Proven coach who improves those he works with? Tick
    Well regarded by those who work with
    him? Tick
    Positive representative is our club? Tick

So of course there should be concern as to why he has gone for what is at best a sideways move.

And contrary to popular opinion on here I do not think quality goalkeeping coaches are easy to find.

The appointment of his successor is key.

Nobody would ever suggest that all good outfield players would make good coaches, but it seems to be assumed that a goalkeeper would absolutely make a good goalkeeping coach and so therefore that finding on would be easy. We've been lucky to have two good ones in Woodman and Roberts.
  • Options
    Ketts is reporting that Lee Smelt has returned to the club as academy GK coach from Arsenal. Could he get a quick promotion?

I understand the Gunners are rejigging their GK coaches in readiness for Petr Cech's arrival . Tony Roberts has left them for Swansea .

I vaguely remember Smelt playing at Forest and being Shilton's understudy in the 80's

http://www.cafcpicks.com/cgi-bin/drkish/display.pl?month=201506&date=20150623&time=1442

• Options
    Is Woodman still with the Geordies?
  • Options
    MrLargo said:

Very astute. You'd make a good traffic warden.

Too small and far too angry he wouldn't reach the window and spend an hr kicking the headlights
  • Options
    my ideal job
  • Options
    When Bob Peeters was Head Coach, It was Ben who decided Stephen Henderson should come back into the team instead of Pope. Also Ben and Matthew took the team in the Watford away game when visa problems arose.
    I wonder if the pay is much different between Goal keeping coaches in the Championship ?
    Both under Roland and Slater/TJ we do have trouble holding on to staff,
    Coaches as well as Admin/Comms/advertising/Catering/Programe sellers and Directors.
    Hard to judge for a fan how good a goalkeeping coach is.
    But having Met Ben Roberts and also Andy Woodman, the coach before him, i can say they are good guys.