Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Ben Roberts to depart? (Departed)

Comments

• Options
    wmcf123 said:

Popular member of the coaching staff? Tick
    Eye for spotting talent? Tick
    Proven coach who improves those he works with? Tick
    Well regarded by those who work with
    him? Tick
    Positive representative is our club? Tick

So of course there should be concern as to why he has gone for what is at best a sideways move.

And contrary to popular opinion on here I do not think quality goalkeeping coaches are easy to find.

The appointment of his successor is key.

Nobody would ever suggest that all good outfield players would make good coaches, but it seems to be assumed that a goalkeeper would absolutely make a good goalkeeping coach and so therefore that finding on would be easy. We've been lucky to have two good ones in Woodman and Roberts.
    Don't agree about Woodman.

• Options
    Nor do I tbh I may be incorrect but I was led to believe he wasn't the most non confrontational in his methods
  • Options
    with us signing the Aussie kid perhaps Andy Petterson is on his way back?
  • Options
    Prolly had too much personality so had to go
    Getting his wages off the book may help us get in the next Tony Watt or the next Polish Pete
    Exciting times ....
  • Options

wmcf123 said:

Shouting panic before people have even commented just closes down discussions and polarises debate.

People are labelled "bed wetters" or "head in sands" before anything had been discussed.

IMHO Roberts is a big loss.

It also points to things being less than ideal at SL. He hasn't gone to prem club who can pay vastly more and he lives in Greenwich so it's not location.

You can disagree but this isn't panic, it's concern. Any organisation should be concerned at losing key staff and ask why?

Good luck Ben, top coach, top bloke.

Agreed. We're losing too many good men at the moment. Losing ones that are also excellent at their jobs is a bigger concern, particularly to a comparable club.
    Oh come on, this isn't WW2.

as good as he is, he's been here a while now in terms of footballing time, 18 months of which have been under RD's leadership. If he was responsible for bringing Henderson to the club, then it goes to show that the people at the top value the input of our coaching staff.

It appears that his mate has just been made first team coach at Brighton, he's had a little word in his ear and he's moved down there.

The club now has the opportunity to bring in another Head Goalkeeping coach, perhaps with a better reputation and CV than Ben's, which could bring players like Henderson and Dmitrovic on to be even better.
    Sometimes its not about getting someone better in,its about them getting the best out of the players we have and I think he would do that more than a potential foreign or lower league nobody.
  • Options
    How old was Ben? Don't want to speculate, but how has this affected our average age?
  • Options
    Pedro45 said:

Is Woodman still with the Geordies?

Woody stayed up there even thou Big nose went to Palace.
    Rob Elliott went to Newcastle because of Woody and Pardew.
    But the problem for Rob now is Freddie Woodman who is 18 and in the England team with Joe Gomez, is number 2 now to Tim Krul.

• Options
    cafc4life said:

wmcf123 said:

Shouting panic before people have even commented just closes down discussions and polarises debate.

People are labelled "bed wetters" or "head in sands" before anything had been discussed.

It also points to things being less than ideal at SL. He hasn't gone to prem club who can pay vastly more and he lives in Greenwich so it's not location.

You can disagree but this isn't panic, it's concern. Any organisation should be concerned at losing key staff and ask why?

Agreed. We're losing too many good men at the moment. Losing ones that are also excellent at their jobs is a bigger concern, particularly to a comparable club.

as good as he is, he's been here a while now in terms of footballing time, 18 months of which have been under RD's leadership. If he was responsible for bringing Henderson to the club, then it goes to show that the people at the top value the input of our coaching staff.

It appears that his mate has just been made first team coach at Brighton, he's had a little word in his ear and he's moved down there.

The club now has the opportunity to bring in another Head Goalkeeping coach, perhaps with a better reputation and CV than Ben's, which could bring players like Henderson and Dmitrovic on to be even better.
    Sometimes its not about getting someone better in,its about them getting the best out of the players we have and I think he would do that more than a potential foreign or lower league nobody.
    Nobody???....we dont know who's gonna replace him yet!
  • Options
    I would have though the Bob Bolder may have some influence in our choice of next goalkeeping coach.
  • Options
    Big bob should still be playing, but I'd miss him in the lounge
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    Sorry Ben is going and wish him well - but I'm saving any angst I've got left for any further unwelcome player departures.
  • Options
    Perhaps the new goalkeeping coach can make Pope into a better more confident goalie, if he stays
  • Options
    I have heard from a very good source we have fought to keep Ben at the club since Diego left and took with him all the hair products and hairdryer with him to West ham, Ben has since been offered a weekly set and dry by the blokes off gogglebox and as such it was a no brainer in making the decision ,

Cafc are introducing a new policy where no one can have hair longer than a number 2

As such numerous staff and players will be leaving with immediate effect
  • Options
    You

wmcf123 said:

wmcf123 said:

When we unravelled as a football club before, we lost a Charlton spirit. While I agree that it's not the end of the world losing BR,

I have heard from a very good source we have fought to keep Ben at the club since Diego left and took with him all the hair products and hairdryer with him to West ham, Ben has since been offered a weekly set and dry by the blokes off gogglebox and as such it was a no brainer in making the decision ,

Cafc are introducing a new policy where no one can have hair longer than a number 2

As such numerous staff and players will be leaving with immediate effect

has he had long hair since 1997?
  • Options
    edited June 2015
    Not really long in the context of Diego or William axl rose , but long enough to need attention and care before leaving home ,

Rumours are Damien Matthew has hair envy and has conspired with Luzon to get things changed

Keith peacock and Jonny Jackson are liasing with the pfa and the society of longer hair than a number 2 are considering taking it to UEFA and the European Court
  • Options
    Ok, Ben is going to be a big loss. However, we just might get a coach that will get Hendo kicking the ball where he wants it to go. Or maybe that's something you just can't coach.
  • Options
    Fingers crossed we get thurams goalkeeping coach in.

Best of luck at Brighton Ben.
  • Options
    http://www.brightonandhovenews.org/2015/06/23/roberts-returns-to-brighton-and-hove-albion-as-goalkeeping-coach
    Roberts said: “I’m ecstatic to be back at Brighton. I’ve made no secret that my happiest years as a professional footballer were spent down here as I had a special affinity with the fans at Withdean.
    “Ever since briefly helping Dean Wilkins with the coaching in the summer of 2007, before starting university, I’ve had it in my head that I wanted to one day return as a coach.
    “After speaking to Chris Hughton and Paul Barber, I am in no doubt that the time is right. The infrastructure already in place and vision of the club for the future really excites me.
    It could just be that he really liked his time at Brighton, and always wanted to return there one day (and he does thank us later in the piece)
  • Options

Should be Nathan Jones coming the other way to be our manager and Ben his no. 2

Will be a loss and another bit of continuity and stability lost.

Hope he stays.

Where will it all end?
    How long Nathan Jones been gone for?
  • Options
    Bad loss by us, but nothing surprises me now with CAFC, so good luck and thank you to Ben R.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options

http://www.brightonandhovenews.org/2015/06/23/roberts-returns-to-brighton-and-hove-albion-as-goalkeeping-coach

Roberts said: “I’m ecstatic to be back at Brighton. I’ve made no secret that my happiest years as a professional footballer were spent down here as I had a special affinity with the fans at Withdean.
    “Ever since briefly helping Dean Wilkins with the coaching in the summer of 2007, before starting university, I’ve had it in my head that I wanted to one day return as a coach.
    “After speaking to Chris Hughton and Paul Barber, I am in no doubt that the time is right. The infrastructure already in place and vision of the club for the future really excites me.
    It could just be that he really liked his time at Brighton, and always wanted to return there one day (and he does thank us later in the piece)

What a load of nonsense the quote is from someone with no direct access to the information and is not anywhere near plausible , until it's posted via an unofficial twitter account of someone who once worked for or has access to a player or employee of cafc it is not worth accepting or even considering, how far fetched can a post be, a grown man who has an affection and affinity to a club want to leave and coach there,

It can only be because cafc is really in a bad way
  • Options
    Can't underestimate his friendship with Nathan Jones in this instance. They were both together at Yeovil. They're bit like Curbs and Merv ... Thick as thieves
  • Options
    Addickted said:

I would have though the Bob Bolder may have some influence in our choice of next goalkeeping coach.

Could he not take the job?
  • Options

Addickted said:

Could he not take the job?

Not network enough
  • Options

WSS said:

Shame the vision for our club doesn't excite him.

Or maybe he hasn't been told about it. Or we don't have one.

Change the record.
    Beyond parody.
  • Options
    Where is parody alot of people lately seem to be going past it , maybe a sign or a poster would help
  • Options
    _MrDick said:

Can't underestimate his friendship with Nathan Jones in this instance. They were both together at Yeovil. They're bit like Curbs and Merv ... Thick as thieves

I don't understand how that equates when Jones recently lost out on the Plymouth managers job? He'll be applying for other jobs one would presume so will Roberts follow him wherever he goes?