Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Ben Roberts to depart? (Departed)

Comments

• Options
    #bumpyride
  • Options
    Addickted said:

#bumpyride

Does the M23 need resurfacing?
  • Options
    I should imagine he'll be really missed by the players and staff. Seemed to be a very popular character. And as Henderson said, a bloody good coach.
    Good luck Ben.
  • Options
    edited June 2015
    Curb_It said:

WSS said:

WSS said:

Shame the vision for our club doesn't excite him.

Or maybe he hasn't been told about it. Or we don't have one.

Change the record.
    Beyond parody.
    Because I don't shit myself over everything that happens at the club, people crapped themselves when Luzon was appointed, didn't turn out too bad, instead just wait and see what happens.
    Who's shitting themselves? People can express disappointment without being picked on. He's a popular character and people will be disappointed so why don't you accept that rather than be rude?

because I am sick to death of people having a moan at everything RD or KM does, why don't people just see how things ride out, why does there have to be sinister about it, maybe Ben Roberts fancied a change just like players do, but no it has to be because the club is in a shit state and in mass turmoil. See the comments above from WSS insinuating we have no vision for the future or what we have is crap. Don't see how change the record is rude but heyho people you may think so. Also saying that I don't shit myself over everything that happens at the club is being rude either ?
  • Options
    Lol poor old Smithy when you two have a barnie
  • Options
    I usually win. Even the arm wrestles. X
  • Options

Pedro45 said:

Is Woodman still with the Geordies?

Woody stayed up there even thou Big nose went to Palace.
    Rob Elliott went to Newcastle because of Woody and Pardew.
    But the problem for Rob now is Freddie Woodman who is 18 and in the England team with Joe Gomez, is number 2 now to Tim Krul.

Plus they have Karl Darlow from Notts Forest too.
  • Options
    Curb_It said:

I guess being a woman I have different ideas of what i think is rude then or not.

I don't know why you singled out WSS' fairly innocuous comment trying to have a guess at why a popular staff member has gone. It was hardly sinister and Ben said something similar alluding to maybe things not being happy at training ground.

I don't know who made you and even your pal the thought police on here. If people want to moan about a disappointing resignation they can. I can see no blind panic... Or people shitting themselves. But if you want to cry about people having a moan about it then I suggest that it is you that should go get a tissue....

Thought police...
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    yes Dee. Is it not the correct meaning?
  • Options
    Well you scare the shit out of Me
  • Options
    Curb_It said:

yes Dee. Is it not the correct meaning?

There's making a point then calling people thought police for disagreeing with your opinion when your original issue was people disagreeing with WSS's opinion, no one likes hypocrisy :)
  • Options
    No, my original issue if you go back was about being rude at other posters who want to express disappointment.

• Options
    Where has Ben said something similar?
  • Options
    I am disappointed by this departure.

The acquisition and development of Hamer, Pope and Henderson, together with the accrual of a veritable galaxy of young talented keepers on the books was testament to his reputation in the game. He brought a strong technical and analytical approach to coaching the position.

He certainly appeared to tick all the boxes for a club intent on developing its own talent. Nearly every keeper who has worked with him has praised his innovation and coaching programmes.

My only challenge with all of that is why, with such a profile and during an unstable period at the club in recent years a) he has not been poached before? b) bigger clubs than Brighton (no disrespect to them) have not sought to acquire his services.

Equally he has been with us probably for longer than any club during his time in senior football other than Middlesboro where he started.

I take all comments concerning "things" not being right at the training ground with a "pinch of salt". I can guarantee footballers being footballers there will always be a few who have an "issue or two". Whether that is/was Mr Roberts is quite another matter.

His comments on Brighton do appear a little over the top (he only made 32 appearances for them in 2yrs) suggesting he may have been given a bigger remit than he had with us - His new title is apparently "Head of Goalkeeping" - sounds very grand.

In any event he served us very well and I wish him well.

It will be interesting to see who will replace him bearing in mind there appears to be a significantly different approach to goalkeeper skill assessment/ coaching on mainland Europe.

• Options

Shouting panic before people have even commented just closes down discussions and polarises debate.

People are labelled "bed wetters" or "head in sands" before anything had been discussed.

IMHO Roberts is a big loss.

It also points to things being less than ideal at SL. He hasn't gone to prem club who can pay vastly more and he lives in Greenwich so it's not location.

You can disagree but this isn't panic, it's concern. Any organisation should be concerned at losing key staff and ask why?

Good luck Ben, top coach, top bloke.

Here Gary. Bit about being less than idea at SL.

• Options
    I assume she means the more famous Ben ie not Roberts : - )
  • Options
    Curb_It said:

No, my original issue if you go back was about being rude at other posters who want to express disappointment.

You used Thought Police in the right context ie people try to limit debate and thought.
  • Options
    Yeah I think we got our Ben's mixed up!
  • Sponsored links:

• Options

Pedro45 said:

But the problem for Rob now is Freddie Woodman who is 18 and in the England team with Joe Gomez, is number 2 now to Tim Krul.

Forgot about Darlow.

If Rob Elliott fall any further down the pecking order he will be the highest paid reserve keeper for the U21.
    Strangely enough similar to Ben Hamer's Position at Leicester.

As Ben Roberts said, both their moves were for money and not footballing reasons.

• Options

WSS said:

WSS said:

Shame the vision for our club doesn't excite him.

Or maybe he hasn't been told about it. Or we don't have one.

Change the record.
    Beyond parody.
    Because I don't shit myself over everything that happens at the club, people crapped themselves when Luzon was appointed, didn't turn out too bad, instead just wait and see what happens.
    I would say the same about Luzon. A few games at the end of a season isn't enough to get a full picture, and we have a very trigger happy owner who has fired the guy before!
  • Options

Pedro45 said:

Forgot about Darlow.

If Rob Elliott fall any further down the pecking order he will be the highest paid reserve keeper for the U21.
    Strangely enough similar to Ben Hamer's Position at Leicester.

As Ben Roberts said, both their moves were for money and not footballing reasons.

Definitely the case for Elliot. I think Hamer genuinely believes he can become number one there and was maybe hoping Schmeichel would be sold after a good start. That hasn't happened.
  • Options
    My take on the Ben Roberts departure is - trying to read between the lines it leaves me with an uneasy feeling that maybe all is not well with the management/coaching set up. As Curbs said - we progress when everyone pulls in the same direction. Still I could be entirely wrong.
  • Options
    Interview with Roberts in tomorrow's SLP.
  • Options

My take on the Ben Roberts departure is - trying to read between the lines it leaves me with an uneasy feeling that maybe all is not well with the management/coaching set up. As Curbs said - we progress when everyone pulls in the same direction. Still I could be entirely wrong.

My old Tug of War Coach used to say the same thing.

• Options
    @RichCawleySLP: And a plug again for that Ben Roberts interview - would have quit Charlton before season started even if Brighton move had not come up.
  • Options
    Bubble said:

@RichCawleySLP: And a plug again for that Ben Roberts interview - would have quit Charlton before season started even if Brighton move had not come up.

Matthew next?
  • Options
    I've heard he wanted paid leave and Charlton wouldn't grant it to him. Nathan Jones then got in his ear while they were on holiday together and he left for Brighton.
  • Options
    What a load of Bull