Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.

Holidays

Comments

• Oakster said:

Davo55 said:

Oakster said:

Davo55 said:

Big 6 0 coming up in August, so special holiday scheduled - touring western Canada then cruising up to Alaska. Will go to the QPR game but then away for the rest of the month. Just hope we aren't bottom of the league by the time I'm back!

@Davo55 where is your Western Canada tour taking you? i'm in Canmore - well worth a stop and much less touristy but more scenic than Banff if you are heading through the Rockies...

http://www.tourismcanmore.com/
    Cheers @Oakster

Our itinerary is Vancouver, Whistler, Sun Peaks, Jasper, Lake Louise, Banff, Kamloops then the Rocky Mountaineer train back to Vancouver for the Alaska cruise. Probably the most predictable tourist run but it's our first time in Canada so we wanted to see the "highlights". Don't think we'll get a chance to go to Canmore but will watch out for an opportunity.
    @Davo55

If you are driving yourself send me a message - would be happy to suggest a few things to see or do around here! Your itinerary is perfect you'll have an amazing time on that trip. The drive from Lake Louise to Jasper is just jaw dropping.
    Thanks @Oakster - If I've read the map correctly you're not too far from Banff so if we get a chance I will try to swing by Canmore with Mrs Davo and, that being so, will PM you for ideas and maybe meet for a drink if you would be up for that.
  • Stone said:

Davo55 said:

Oakster said:

Davo55 said:

Big 6 0 coming up in August, so special holiday scheduled - touring western Canada then cruising up to Alaska. Will go to the QPR game but then away for the rest of the month. Just hope we aren't bottom of the league by the time I'm back!

@Davo55 where is your Western Canada tour taking you? i'm in Canmore - well worth a stop and much less touristy but more scenic than Banff if you are heading through the Rockies...

Cheers @Oakster

Our itinerary is Vancouver, Whistler, Sun Peaks, Jasper, Lake Louise, Banff, Kamloops then the Rocky Mountaineer train back to Vancouver for the Alaska cruise. Probably the most predictable tourist run but it's our first time in Canada so we wanted to see the "highlights". Don't think we'll get a chance to go to Canmore but will watch out for an opportunity.
    On my bucket list @Davo55 , sounds like a great journey.
    Thanks @ Stone. Really looking forward to it. The Alaskan stuff should be great too - white water rafting, getting up close (but not too close) to bears trying to catch salmon etc.
  • And like to blow their own trumpets.
  • Celebrating 25th wedding anniversary on a Baltic cruise in July.

Nice one @charente addick. I did that a few years ago. One shore trip not to be missed is The Hermitage in St Petersburg, especially as they have exclusive opening/guided tour slots for the cruise passengers and you get to see wonderful art treasures without too much crowding.
  • edited June 2015

Swisdom said:

We went to Majorca for a week last month - was ok but the weather wasn't brilliant and the kids were a nightmare

The brochures shouldn't say 'Family Holidays' - should instead be 'Stress in a Warmer Climate'
    Obviously a generalisation but i remember watching a couple of families on holiday last year and coming to the conclusion that some people are just not used to spending proper periods of time with their kids (schools, childerminders, breakfast clubs, after school clubs etc), and just don't really know how to cope with it (despite packing the kids off to kids club every day).

You're right, some people don't or don't want to spend time with their family. The main reason I don't go to charlton that often is because I spend time with them, not because I feel I have to but because I want to.
    Charlton when their bad, Welling when their good :-)
  • Out in Ovacik Turkey at the moment. Sitting at the pool 98 degrees cold lager in hand. Best
    Smug Face on.

Crap Wi-Fi hence double post.

Best place I've ever been is ovacik.

Not going on holiday this summer cos I'm just finishing my apprenticeship final exams are mid July.
    Once I'm qualified and earning some proper dough I'm going to book to go back to ovacik in october time
  • Macronate said:

in honour of our new signing Madeira.

Where are you going in honour of this bloke Madeira, and more importantly - how tall is he? :wink:
    Funchal

6ft 4"
  • Davo55 said:

Oakster said:

Davo55 said:

Cheers @Oakster

If you need avcomodatipn let me know we stayed in a great place in jasper. Also grizzly bear ranch between Vamcouver and Banff. Best 4 days of my life.
  • All taken care of but thanks anyway @kimbo
  • Might have some late availability on a Norfolk cottage if we complete before August
  • Sponsored links:

• No thanks.
  • Went to Gdansk a couple of months back for a 40th and have another 40th in the next couple of months. That will either be Ostrava or Montenegro (can't spell the name of the capital). Family holiday is Florida in early November.

Ostrava? Bloody hell! Well there is really only one thing to do in Ostrava, but they do it in style.

• We are off to Bordeaux on Sunday although staying most of the time in Arcachon, famous for oysters. A bit worried about the temperamental Atlantic weather, but right now its scorching hot, so hoping for more of the same.
  • Will go to Porec in Croatia in September. Great place!
  • razil said:

Might have some late availability on a Norfolk cottage if we complete before August

Sleeps how many? PM details when available mate.
  • @Davo55 i happen to help run two hotels and an irish pub in whistler. PM the dates you're up here and i can at least shout you a beer. Might be able to help with accommodation or activity recommendations to.
  • @Davo55 i happen to help run two hotels and an irish pub in whistler. PM the dates you're up here and i can at least shout you a beer. Might be able to help with accommodation or activity recommendations to.

Is The Boot still going in Whistler - saw some interesting er...acts in that place!
  • Heard some great stories about that place. Unfortunately closed just before i got here in 07.
  • Weekend in Belgium next month - can't remember why - then 2 weeks in Cuba in August.
  • edited June 2015
    Chicago and St Louis on business , taking the wide and then meeting the kids in

San Fransisco - big sur drive to
    LA - universal and Hollywood
    Phoenix - a long drive through the desert
    Las Vegas - where we are now
    Annaheim - Disneyworkd
    Home !!!

So far the best bit has been the driving . What a country to drive in WOW !!
  • Sponsored links:

• Visiting the Wife's family in Argentina (Santa Fe) and will also take in Bolivia and Chile on this trip.

Family Holiday to Dominican Republic in August

Stag week in Majorca in September
  • razil said:

Might have some late availability on a Norfolk cottage if we complete before August

Sleeps how many? PM details when available mate.
    It really depends on if/when we complete the purchase and get it up and running, 3/4 bedroom, 3 doubles and bunkbed. Area is Ha(pp)isburgh
  • Getting married next month, spending 4 nights in a Yurt in the Cotswolds for our 'minimoon'.

Can't wait for our honeymoon at the end of the year, off to Ecuador where we'll be spending the first half of our trip in a lodge in the Amazon rainforest, and the second half cruising the Galapagos Islands.

Costing a fortune but I doubt we'll never get another opportunity for such a trip... and of course, despite the other half's protests I've still found the money for another season ticket!
  • Getting married next month, spending 4 nights in a Yurt in the Cotswolds for our 'minimoon'.

Can't wait for our honeymoon at the end of the year, off to Ecuador where we'll be spending the first half of our trip in a lodge in the Amazon rainforest, and the second half cruising the Galapagos Islands.

Costing a fortune but I doubt we'll never get another opportunity for such a trip... and of course, despite the other half's protests I've still found the money for another season ticket!

Who did you book the Ecuador/Galapagos trip with Riadn?
  • really admiring the adventurous choices of some on here, especially to LatAm, I've never been. Anyone tried Uruguay? Was at a meeting last month where the very nice lady from Uruguay had me convinced that it's got everything Argentina has, without the hassle.
  • edited June 2015

Getting married next month, spending 4 nights in a Yurt in the Cotswolds for our 'minimoon'.

Who did you book the Ecuador/Galapagos trip with Riadn?
    We went with a company called Audley Travel (audleytravel.com), which was recommended to us by a friend. Not saying they are the cheapest, but by no means the most expensive either.

We had done lots of research ourselves beforehand regarding the different travel companies, and also exactly what we wanted to do (i.e. identified which particular rainforest lodge we wanted to visit, and which parts of the Galapagos we wanted to see), and they were able to incorporate this into our itinerary along with various other requests. Really helpful, and a lot more flexible than other companies we inquired with.
  • JohnBoyUK said:

Just back from 10 nights in Mexico with the Mrs. 5 in Cancun at the Moon Palace and then 5 down in Playa del Carmen. That was the first time I've been away for more than 7 days since I went away with AFKA and the lads in 1996 to Gran Canaria. (Did have 7 days in Lanzarote in 2005 with the ex-wife but was far from memorable lol)

Got the holiday bug now but need to book our wedding first then we know whether we're going on holiday or honeymoon really...and when we get planning permission to build our extension.

South Africa is on the list for Jan/Feb as a holiday. Bit of sunshine, sightseeing, cricket (yes, she knows!).
    If we're going on honeymoon, Tanzania and Zanzibar looks favourite at the moment.

Went with these:

http://www.africatravelresource.com

Absolutely fantastic. Could not fault them, planned everything. All smooth, great guides etc. saw she'd loads of stuff and reasonable price back in 2008. Did 8 days safari and would max that part out if I was you. My fav holiday ever.
    You cannot beat the Bushtops Camp in Serengeti. Have a look at tripadvisor. I got back from here last week and it was UNREAL
  • edited June 2015

really admiring the adventurous choices of some on here, especially to LatAm, I've never been. Anyone tried Uruguay? Was at a meeting last month where the very nice lady from Uruguay had me convinced that it's got everything Argentina has, without the hassle.

Nooo. Not got the scenery, steak, diversity or nightlife. It's alright but I'd only recommend it if you're in Buenos Aires already, then heading over to Colonia for a day or two. Montevideo hasn't got much to see. The locals are friendlier though.

They do have 'gnocchi day' on the 29th of every month, they do get bonus points for that.
  • RedPanda said:

really admiring the adventurous choices of some on here, especially to LatAm, I've never been. Anyone tried Uruguay? Was at a meeting last month where the very nice lady from Uruguay had me convinced that it's got everything Argentina has, without the hassle.

Nooo. Not got the scenery, steak, diversity or nightlife. It's alright but I'd only recommend it if you're in Buenos Aires already, then heading over to Colonia for a day or two. Montevideo hasn't got much to see. The locals are friendlier though.

They do have 'gnocchi day' on the 29th of every month, they do get bonus points for that.
    I guess that's what she persuaded me on :-) But she strongly claimed that the steak and the wine is just as good, and its true that both are making their way to Europe now.

But thanks for the tips. You liked Buenos Aires? Where else did you go in Argentina?