Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.

Holidays

Comments

• Ive seen one or two youngsters 12/14 age group on Meedhapparu and they look bored s***less with a pool and table tennis for company why would you want to put your children through that for two weeks I'm not sure. By the same token our Russian friends seem to enjoy taking virtually new born babies there, then spend most of their time back in the villa as its too hot for them. The boredom thing took us time to adjust to, our first visit took us 3 days to adjust to the nothing to do. Having always been city holiday makers the realisation that you've walked around the island in 15 minutes worried us, but now I turn up and sleep on the beach for three days then gradually start doing some snorkelling, I learnt to scuba dive last year. Feeding Mantas in the evening is stunning and of course sitting on a white sandy beach while someone brings you copious amounts of cold beers looking at turquoise seas is very appealing.
  • When I was a kid I got taken to the seaside, went to the beach, played games with other kids, built sandcastles splashed around in the sea. That was it. I never recall being bored.

Didn't the sand and sea ruin your iPad?
  • edited July 2015
    @newyorkaddick

hello mate, no real surprises in Malta.

outside the hotels the food was great everywhere we went (and cheap)

Drink wise, all local wines we tried are all very drinkable if not exceptional. local lager is cisk 4.2% (pronounced "chisk") and nice enough (I drank the cick excel 5%) and everywhere also stocks international lagers

Hotels are a lot more expensive but that will be the case in most places.

you will find waitroses dotted around if you need anything.

if you fancy a steak I would recommend buffalo bills by the Hilton, no frills steak house and I have honestly had worse steaks in goucho amongst other steak houses in the city.

soup, sides, salad cart, streak and choice of potato's, desert PLUS drinks including shots of limoncelo was 55euro's per adult (including tip)

if you fancy Thai, the blue elephant at the Hilton was also very nice.

the Avenue was also very nice food, great portions and again no frills.

but overall id recommend having a wonder and seeing what takes your fancy.

enjoy mate

Greetings from a very sunny and hot Majorca.

Never seen so many out of school kids, including our two grandkids. Sickness bug going around like wildfire, both of ours have had it! This morning the granddaughter wakes up with an ear infection that also appears to be doing the rounds. Apart from that they are having a great time!

Roll on Porto in October, just me and the missus, bliss!

Be nice to see pictures of the flag/towels etc. from around the world.
  • RedPanda said:

Just back from 2 weeks in Madagascar. A rewarding place for nature lovers but incredibly poor and at times very difficult and frustrating (eg the airline playing up so a 23 hour bus trip on God awful roads). The scenery is lovely and mountainous but also depressing as it’s all farmland – the country’s lost 90% of its forest.

I saw 13 species of lemur so I came home happy. I also had 24 hours in Nairobi so went into the nearby national park and saw rhinos, giraffes, baboons, zebras, etc.

My next trip is the Ulster GP bike racing in August – the fastest road race in the world (133mph per lap on public roads).

Flew over there from Singapore to SA...no clouds but the place looked so barron..as you say 90% farmland not what I expected at all.
  • Just back from France (6 week drive about) used some of the advice on the 'holidaying in France' thread...ie Cassis.
  • Am off to coogee in OZ for 6 weeks in September. Can't wait, it's my first holiday in around 6 years , then from there I head to San Fran for a small group show that I'm in.
  • Essex_Al said:

Never seen so many out of school kids, including our two grandkids. Sickness bug going around like wildfire, both of ours have had it! This morning the granddaughter wakes up with an ear infection that also appears to be doing the rounds. Apart from that they are having a great time!

I've got that towel.
  • Still got my one of them too
  • Sponsored links:

• Update on Ruby, trip to Doctors and 130 euros later, diagnosed with an ear infection, great!

Forgot to say earlier, met the nephew of John Humphreys over here. Came over to me because we had the towel out, Swindon supporter!
  • We are going to Aska Lara resort, Lara Beech, Antalya, Turkey in October, anyone else been there?
  • We are going to Aska Lara resort, Lara Beech, Antalya, Turkey in October, anyone else been there?

I think that's the place we're going to next August.

Blimey. You booked that early. Save much money?

• Just back from France (6 week drive about) used some of the advice on the 'holidaying in France' thread...ie Cassis.

Nice that you took some of our advice Hastings - where else did you go?
  • shine166 said:

Am off to coogee in OZ for 6 weeks in September. Can't wait, it's my first holiday in around 6 years , then from there I head to San Fran for a small group show that I'm in.

Lived in Coogee for 6 months back in late '90's. Great times. Used to go in the CBH and be guaranteed to know someone each time I went in which meant I usually came out at 5am!
  • @newyorkaddick

hello mate, no real surprises in Malta.

outside the hotels the food was great everywhere we went (and cheap)

Drink wise, all local wines we tried are all very drinkable if not exceptional. local lager is cisk 4.2% (pronounced "chisk") and nice enough (I drank the cick excel 5%) and everywhere also stocks international lagers

Hotels are a lot more expensive but that will be the case in most places.

you will find waitroses dotted around if you need anything.

if you fancy a steak I would recommend buffalo bills by the Hilton, no frills steak house and I have honestly had worse steaks in goucho amongst other steak houses in the city.

soup, sides, salad cart, streak and choice of potato's, desert PLUS drinks including shots of limoncelo was 55euro's per adult (including tip)

if you fancy Thai, the blue elephant at the Hilton was also very nice.

the Avenue was also very nice food, great portions and again no frills.

but overall id recommend having a wonder and seeing what takes your fancy.

enjoy mate

Thanks - as it happens we stumbled across The Avenue on our first night and had a great meal.

Have been here three days and so far so good - too hot for me in the middle of the day but breezes make if bearable.

Thanks again

Blimey. You booked that early. Save much money?

Wife booked it early as we got the free child place.

Nice that you took some of our advice Hastings - where else did you go?
    Last year we done a 5 week drive about in France, the year before that we went to France, Switzerland, Andorra, Spain & Portugal. We love France (wife speaks a bit of the lingo...I'm OK at the bar) and it's really good for camping...we throw all the gear in the back of our 1.4 Corsa and off we go...it's simple (went of long haul holidays several years ago and I really enjoy driving in France).
    Anyway Mr President we basically drove down from Calais to the following...Epernay, Froncles, Dole, Yvoire, Biot (the one just north of Morzine), Le Bourg-d'Oisans (Alpe d'huez), Volx, Cassis, Marseilles, Cadent & Montbrun Le Bains (Provence), Vallon Pont d'Arc, Le Puy-en-Velay, Le Mont Dore, Vichy, Chateau-Chinon, Vezelay, Troyes, Verdun, Etreaupont, Peronne, Fort Mahon Plague and finally Berck before coming home via Dunkirk. Ended up driving 2400+ miles but over 6 weeks that wasn't to bad (we done more then that last year in 5 weeks). Hoping to go down the Atlantic coast and onto the Pyrenees next year.
  • mergh

I want my Holiday now!
  • Sponsored links:

• shine166 said:

Am off to coogee in OZ for 6 weeks in September. Can't wait, it's my first holiday in around 6 years , then from there I head to San Fran for a small group show that I'm in.

Lived in Coogee for 6 months back in late '90's. Great times. Used to go in the CBH and be guaranteed to know someone each time I went in which meant I usually came out at 5am!
    Stayed in the road (Vicar St?) just behind the CBH in the early 90's. My mates had been out there for some time and stayed with them for a bit.
  • Just been to New York, followed by a Royal Carribean cruise to the ...wait for it......carribean. New York was great, Bermuda and Labadee in Haiti had great beache, as did San Maartin, though it rained there so we did a very boring tour of the island. Puerto Rico was crap, and I would recommend it to no one apart fro Millwall fans.
  • shine166 said:

Stayed in the road (Vicar St?) just behind the CBH in the early 90's. My mates had been out there for some time and stayed with them for a bit.
    Lovely walk from Coogee Beach to Bondi Beach.
  • shine166 said:

I didn't get past the goldfish bowl most days.
  • Off to Rhodes on Sunday,bloody typical,been to Turkey the last 5 years and thought we'd go elsewhere this year.....grrr
  • Just got back from Sami in Kefalonia and can thoroughly recommend it a beautiful island, great resort/harbor lots of decent eateries and the people are very friendly.

My best holiday ever? The Maldives but it cost an arm and a leg. Also loved California
  • shine166 said:

Yep, true. Plus out to Maroubra the other way. Remember Maroubra being pretty undeveloped at that time but guessing things have changed since.
  • Essex_Al said:

I've got that towel.
    Lucky you.
  • edited July 2015

Essex_Al said:

I've got that towel.
    Lucky you.
    I want one of those towels where did you get it from .

I want to be lucky too.
  • edited July 2015
    An hour or so from Dubai at 39000 Ft, technology is scarey these days