Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Holidays

Comments

• Options
    Not sure, trying to decide where to go with only 6 days off that'll keep a two year old and a 4 month old happy.

Thinking the New Forest and Peppa Pig World, the zoo etc.
  • Options
    edited June 2015

I guess that's what she persuaded me on :-) But she strongly claimed that the steak and the wine is just as good, and its true that both are making their way to Europe now.

But thanks for the tips. You liked Buenos Aires? Where else did you go in Argentina?

Iguazu, BA, Cordoba, Salta. I had a couple of meat platters in Uruguay, they were impressive but had too much stuff like intestine and black pudding for me.

Iguazu Falls are little known here but they're some of the most stunning waterfalls in the world.

BA isn't friendly but there's always something going on and it's very pretty in places. It has about a dozen football teams.

Cordoba is a colonial student town set in the hills as you head north, fun nightlife and I played golf.

Salta is a small city at the base of the Andes. The surrounding scenery is amazing, look up Cafayate and Cachi.

Then of course there is Patagonia, the north east has jungle and decent wildlife, and Mendoza attracts wine drinkers who can cycle between vineyards getting smashed. It's not my favourite country in South America but I can see why it would be other people's highlight.
  • Options

Not sure, trying to decide where to go with only 6 days off that'll keep a two year old and a 4 month old happy.

Sandy Balls holiday camp in the New Forest is a good place to stay. Nice pools, although the outside one is not heated and activities, soft play etc for the kids.

Not done Peppa Pig World but everyone I've spoken to says try and do it outside of school holidays.
  • Options
    Went to Peppa Pig world with my 2 year old yesterday. It was great. He loved it. Practically empty. Definitely go outside the holidays.
  • Options
    Went Gambia in April, loved it. Hoping to get away late in the year
  • Options

Sandy Balls holiday camp in the New Forest is a good place to stay. Nice pools, although the outside one is not heated and activities, soft play etc for the kids.

Not done Peppa Pig World but everyone I've spoken to says try and do it outside of school holidays.
    Yeah would do - September once they've gone back I think!

Will have a look at Sandy Balls (good name), cheers.
  • Options
    edited June 2015
    @DaveMehmet i'd say your daughter may soon be getting to the stage of it being a bit young for her. 3-6 i'd say is the age range. Went last summer holiday, it was busy and there were queues for every ride (though we qualified for a queue jump pass, i don't think we would have got any anything otherwise).

Regardless of the Peppa Pig section, Paultons is a good park and we're going again this summer for a 2-day trip.
  • Options
    the rest of Paultons Park is better for the kids than Peppa Pig World, massive queues for rides in that bit, but the rest of the park is great
  • Options

@DaveMehmet i'd say your daughter may soon be getting to the stage of it being a bit young for her. 3-6 i'd say is the age range. Went last summer holiday, it was busy and there were queues for every ride (though we qualified for a queue jump pass, i don't think we would have got any anything otherwise).

Regardless of the Peppa Pig section, Paultons is a good park and we're going again this summer for a 2-day trip.

Yes mate, think we've missed the boat with her on PP world. She's now moved onto wanting to go to Disney World so better start saving!
  • Options
    Just back from 4 days in Amsterdam, and off to the Algarve in three weeks for a fortnight.

@Algarveaddick what is the name and address of your place? We are staying in the Hotel Falesia in Acoteias but may hire a car for a few days.

Thailand (Bangkok), Vietnam and Cambodia in November - should be awesome.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options

Just back from 4 days in Amsterdam, and off to the Algarve in three weeks for a fortnight.

@Algarveaddick what is the name and address of your place? We are staying in the Hotel Falesia in Acoteias but may hire a car for a few days.

Two suggestions in Bangkok if you haven't been there before.

Day trip to the "Bridge on the River Kwai". Organised tour includes a brief history lesson of the fall of the Far East (Singapore), trip to the local cemetery, trip up the river to the bridge, walk over the bridge, and a trip on a train on part of the original railway.

Secondly, a trip to the floating market, where you board a small personal longboat travelling in the delta amongst the floating and static stalls. Lovely visual and aromatic journey.
  • Options

It's not my place as such, but we help out there - mainly at weekends. One 4 the Road, Rua das Telecomunicacoes, Albufeira. The road between the back of the Town Hall and the escalators at the top of the cliff, if you are at all familiar with the area?
  • Options

It's not my place as such, but we help out there - mainly at weekends. One 4 the Road, Rua das Telecomunicacoes, Albufeira. The road between the back of the Town Hall and the escalators at the top of the cliff, if you are at all familiar with the area?
    Strongly recommended
  • Options
    Sitting by the pool in Cha am, Thailand! Reading CL every time I get WiFi and still only one signing, I still get "excited" though!!!
    Plenty of time left I suppose? Not for me unfortunately got to leave this wonderful country on Monday back to sunny Kent!
    COYR....
  • Options
    We had a great week in Mauritius. Got to go back for with work, so will probably tag on a few days holiday. Had a couple of great long weekends in Ballito and one in Dubai. Managed to fit in a week in Alicante when back in the UK and hoping to fit in a couple of Charlton games in September and December and looking to go somewhere in Europe for a week during the September trip. Going to the Kruger and Cape Town again in August and then a train trip on the Rovos to Victoria Falls in November.

Looks like a few of you coming out to SA for the cricket - which games? Easiest for us to go to the games in Jo'burg and Centurian, but I guess Cape Town a favourite location
  • Options
    Can't remember if I posted on here already

The NLA clan are going to see Mickey mouse and his gang in florida leave the 16th December and back around new yrs eve and I can't wait

First big family holiday in years and I am so looking forward to it

Even if I have to wake up to Ariel every morning in the little mermaid suite
  • Options

We had a great week in Mauritius. Got to go back for with work, so will probably tag on a few days holiday. Had a couple of great long weekends in Ballito and one in Dubai. Managed to fit in a week in Alicante when back in the UK and hoping to fit in a couple of Charlton games in September and December and looking to go somewhere in Europe for a week during the September trip. Going to the Kruger and Cape Town again in August and then a train trip on the Rovos to Victoria Falls in November.

Looks like a few of you coming out to SA for the cricket - which games? Easiest for us to go to the games in Jo'burg and Centurian, but I guess Cape Town a favourite location

If you liked Mauritius, I would suggest you try Seychelles and The Maldives.

Victoria Falls is stunning, but not much else to do in the immediate vicinity. If you are staying on the Zimbabwe side (which is easily the best for viewing the falls), the local town is worth a visit for a change in scenary. A trip over the falls in a helicopter (or light aircraft) gives you a nice perspective. Enjoy!
  • Options
    edited June 2015
    Thanks PG. We are going to book a flight over Vic Falls and are staying on the Zim side with a game drive booked. Seychelles on the list for next year whilt we are in the vicinity. And the Maldives another time. Someone else mentioned Zanzibar, which we want to go to as well. And then there's Namibia. The list is endless!
  • Options
    Do I need visas to enter Turkey?

I had no idea.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options

Thanks PG. We are going to book a flight over Vic Falls and are staying on the Zim side with a game drive booked. Seychelles on the list for next year whilt we are in the vicinity. And the Maldives another time. Someone else mentioned Zanzibar, which we want to go to as well. And then there's Namibia. The list is endless!

Zanzibar is very poor around the capital town of Stone Town, but nevertheless it is very colourful and worth a visit. Some good western hotels further along the coast.

We saw a bit (only a bit) of Namibia earlier this year, whilst on hols in Botswana. Stunning animal encounters around the Chobe River area.

Seychelles is a nice place to chill out and very much worth spending a holiday there. I personally prefer The Maldives (having been there 5 times) simply because the Island type environment: small islands, no roads/cars, plenty of equatic experiences (dolphins, small sharks, dolphins etc).
  • Options

I had no idea.

We went donkeys years ago, as far as I recall you pay them a £10 "entrance fee" on arrival and they give you the visa there and then.
  • Options

I had no idea.

We went donkeys years ago, as far as I recall you pay them a £10 "entrance fee" on arrival and they give you the visa there and then.
    You can now do this online. Bit like the ESTA form that you need for US visa entry. They're not as keen on the fresh crisp £10 on arrival anymore. (Have to arrange loads for my work)

https://www.evisa.gov.tr/en/
  • Options

I personally prefer The Maldives (having been there 5 times) simply because the Island type environment: small islands, no roads/cars, plenty of equatic experiences (dolphins, small sharks, dolphins etc).

Peter, which of the islands have you visited?
    We visit Meedhapparru for the 4th time in five years next week and as you gather, we absolutely love the place. We would like to visit other islands but are worried they may not compare with what have already found. As you say the small island atmosphere, the stunning aquatic life even for snorkel swimmers amongst Mantas, turtles and other stunning sea life is truly amazing the whole envoiroment forces you to chill out because there's nothing else to do. ;)
  • Options
    Won't fly to the Maldives whilst we have more than enough closer. Will go when working nearer
  • Options

Won't fly to the Maldives whilst we have more than enough closer. Will go when working nearer

That's what we'll do when we are to old to travel long haul, lots of places closer that we want to visit, but we didn't put our backsides on a plane until our 40s some of you guys are like Alan Whicker/Judith Chalmers compared to us. ;)
  • Options
    T.C.E said:

I personally prefer The Maldives (having been there 5 times) simply because the Island type environment: small islands, no roads/cars, plenty of equatic experiences (dolphins, small sharks, dolphins etc).

Peter, which of the islands have you visited?
    We visit Meedhapparru for the 4th time in five years next week and as you gather, we absolutely love the place. We would like to visit other islands but are worried they may not compare with what have already found. As you say the small island atmosphere, the stunning aquatic life even for snorkel swimmers amongst Mantas, turtles and other stunning sea life is truly amazing the whole envoiroment forces you to chill out because there's nothing else to do. ;)

I understand entirely the "stick to same Island in case we are disappointed by the replacement" view. We have been to Kuramathi 3 times and Rannalhi the last two. Because Rannalhi is slightly cheaper than Kuramathi, we were able to stay in a Sea bungalow within our budget. This alone made the holiday much much better for us, knowing we could have total seclusion when required. The bungalow had it's own steps into the waist high sea and a partial glass bottom in the main room, from which you could see the fish below. One can walk from one end of the Island to the other end in just 7 minutes!!
  • Options
    Previously always discounted Maldives as fear would end up a bit bored just stuck with your hotel really. Even on long haul all inclusive holidays we liked being out and about trying bars and restaurants. And definitely ruled out these days with a 4 and 2 year old.
  • Options
    Previously always discounted Maldives as fear would end up a bit bored just stuck with your hotel really. Even on long haul all inclusive holidays we liked being out and about trying bars and restaurants. And definitely ruled out these days with a 4 and 2 year old.
  • Options
    MrOneLung said:

I don't believe that The Maldives is suitable for most young families because there is insufficient activities to keep children occupied for many hours, unless they are happy to swim in the sea (some islands don't have a swimming pool) or snorkel for long periods of the day. Conversely for adults, the scenary is absolutely stunning and the equatic sights just amazing.