Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Standard Liege reportedly being sold (Press conference at 10am)

Comments

• Options

Could he even use the funds to buy RC Lens?

Maybe?
  • Options

Pedro45 said:

OK, so if Roland is "retiring", is he selling all his clubs?

cant be a coincidence that this other guy is telling Bloombergs that he is considering buying us.
    Yes it can.
  • Options
    RD: I've got into the habit of counting down how long I have left to live. I aim to live till I'm 75, so I have 350 weeks to go"
  • Options
    Where are we going to get all of our signings from now? :wink:
  • Options
    edited June 2015

• Options
    The word from Belgium has been that he was getting seriously fed up with the Standard fans (and a lot of Belgian fans of other clubs have said they are always a bit unreasonable). But there has also been a lot of discussion in Belgium about the implications of STVV's promotion. Both good reasons for him to want to sell.
  • Options

The word from Belgium has been that he was getting seriously fed up with the Standard fans (and a lot of Belgian fans of other clubs have said they are always a bit unreasonable). But there has also been a lot of discussion in Belgium about the implications of STVV's promotion. Both good reasons for him to want to sell.

Could he be about to sell off the entire network Prague?
  • Sponsored links:

• Options

I have no idea of course. We know he wants to sell Ujpest. On the other hand it was all sweetness and light in Jena when we visited, even though he only has 49% there. From the attendance figures you might surmise he is disappointed with Alcorcon. But on the other hand as you've reminded us he was recently linked with buying Lens.
  • Options
    Checked back my last mail from Douglas de Coninck of de Morgen and he strongly hinted that the issue with the fans might persuade RD to at least step into the background at Standard. That was mid May, when the rumours of the Dutch group Value 8' s interest were already widely discussed in Belgium
  • Options
    Pedro45 said:

KHA - As for the 10 years quote, he has been in charge at SL for three years, so has 7 years (350 weeks) left of his "life".

Thanks, I didn't get that.
  • Options
    "Retirer" does not translate as retire. It means he is stepping away from the club.
  • Options

Come on Roland be sensible... transfer us Bulot and maybe Igor de Camacho before you sell

Igor already gone!
    Still, some far more entertaining players/names from SL to pick from:

Ono Damne Kanu Enoh Faty Koc Ciman.

• Options

I have no idea of course. We know he wants to sell Ujpest. On the other hand it was all sweetness and light in Jena when we visited, even though he only has 49% there. From the attendance figures you might surmise he is disappointed with Alcorcon. But on the other hand as you've reminded us he was recently linked with buying Lens.
    With all due respect to him, it is clear that he believes that turning struggling football clubs with attendances on the decline into successful clubs with more fans coming is easier than it has turned out to be.

There does, however, seem to be no shortage of wealthy businessmen who believe that they can make a club successful with a different plan than spending more than the competition. Looking at the success of all clubs and what they spend the evidence is that it is very difficult to outperform your peers while spending a lot less money. Sure the odd club manages it for a few years, from time to time, but it is the exception rather than the norm.
  • Options

With all due respect to him, it is clear that he believes that turning struggling football clubs with attendances on the decline into successful clubs with more fans coming is easier than it has turned out to be.

There does, however, seem to be no shortage of wealthy businessmen who believe that they can make a club successful with a different plan than spending more than the competition. Looking at the success of all clubs and what they spend the evidence is that it is very difficult to outperform your peers while spending a lot less money. Sure the odd club manages it for a few years, from time to time, but it is the exception rather than the norm.
    True

Although to be fair, we should remember that he has only owned Alcorcon, Jena and Ujpest as long as us , i.e 18 months, which is not long to turn a business around
  • Options
    so .. the good news is he'll have more money to splurge on CAFC (we hope) .. the bad news ? .. we won't be getting any more continental type Euro Stars on loan or on the cheap (we hope) ((:>)
  • Options
    Wonder if he's ill or something? All the 350 weeks left stuff sounds a bit ominous. Maybe deciding to enjoy life and spend his bunce? Just sayin.
  • Options
    One does wonder what this means for us
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    Really hope this means we become his main priority now. He must have figured just how much money you can make from the English game. News Shopper suggesting a number of players are supposedly on their way to Charlton and all will be confirmed within the next 7 days. Dunno if anyone else saw but on Facebook some lad went to the Valley for a meeting and was apparently told some big bux will be spent on players this Summer. RD flogging Liege really does support this so I hope it all works out best for us. This next week is crucial so I can't wait to see what happens!
  • Options
    Another Duchatelet quote: I'm staying in football, but not Belgian football. http://www.lavenir.net/cnt/DMF20150624_00668344
  • Options
    Greenie said:

Pedro45 said:

Press conf is live on their website - http://www.standard.be/

Its all in foreign.
    If only Ben Bloom from the Telegraph had gone to cover it for us, we'd be so much the wiser!!

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/sport/football/teams/borussia-dortmund/11541312/Ben-Bloom-How-Jurgen-Klopp-turned-me-into-an-internet-phenomenon.html
  • Options
    Just got an email from Jacques Seron of the Standard Socios. He's very upbeat. They think they will have an equity share within three years under the new owners. (He says its a group of local "cies", not just the one guy named). Jacques presumes RD will now want to concentrate on us.
  • Options
    edited June 2015
    Duchâtelet insaisisable to the end

The now former president has often had the image of a misunderstood. The press conference on Wednesday did not help matters. To justify its decision to sell the club, he has first explained ... that he would soon die. Not that he is ill. Rather a mathematical calculation, "I got used to count the period of my life a person lives an average of up to 75 years That's my goal That leaves me 350 weeks to live healthy.... " He added: "The quality of my life, my personal happiness play an important role in my life."

It is true that he had a difficult time with the fans sedges. "I felt at one point that it was difficult for me to Standard. For fans of the Standard also they who have not seen me in the leader they wanted."

It therefore gives the torch to Venanzi Bruno: "I found the ideal solution for the club with a person in which I totally believe this is a club that I love I leave but I am confident because.. found someone who has the vision to lead this club. "

He also warned his successor: "Running a club is more difficult than running a business or a political party I wish good luck to Bruno Venanzi.."

"The rise of Saint-Trond has not played in my decision. I do not have a foot in this club," he said about his former club dating back to D1. "I stay in football. But not in Belgian football."

About 20 million of dividends withdrawn in 2013 for which he had mentioned his intention to inject them back into the club, he was particularly evasive: "The Standard has generated profits for years The way you manage the club. depends on the power of shareholders. It had a surplus. I have no further comments on that. "

He concluded: "There are positives I learned a lot, to know well the football and media microcosm Belgium I try to remove the positive and forget the negative..."

The sale amount was not disclosed. As a reminder, the amount paid by Roland Duchâtelet s'offir for the club 23 June 2011 is estimated at 34 million. He had since invested in other clubs: Jena (German D4), Charlton (English D2) and Alcorcon (Spanish D2).
  • Options
    edited June 2015
    So all the flack he got from Standard fans drove him out as he wants to enjoy rest of his life is the gist?
  • Options
    kentred2 said:

So all the flack he got from Standard fans drove him out as he wants to enjoy rest of his life is the gist?

seems more or less the truth