Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Standard Liege reportedly being sold (Press conference at 10am)

Comments

• Options

Just got this mail from Jacques Seron of the Standard Socios, and thought it might be worth sharing

Well, we had our AGM to-day and the members asked me to remain in touch with you because we had a good relationship with Charlton and maybe we can have valuable informations for you in the future ;-)

And maybe will we meet Charlton in the future in an european cup contest

RD has made a lot of money on behalf of the Standard (the Press talks about 27 millions €) and should be able to strengthen your team ... wait and see.

We wish you a lot of luck, promotion soon to the Premiership and hapiness ... but just be careful with the RD

Well I appreciate that for most of us, it was just a strange short episode in our Charlton Life, but I'm glad that through contact with these guys I learnt a lot about Standard and the city of Liege. We know that in Belgium the other clubs' fans are a bit sniffy about Standard, but the passion of their fans is beyond doubt. It's a club with a soul, and I really hope they do well.

Well said. I'll be keeping an eye on their results. I can't help thinking that some of the profit from Standard went via Staprix towards purchasing CAFC, although he's obviously not short of a bob or two, anyway.

How long will RD stay in football? With a nod to oohaah, and bearing in mind RD's age and that he's not passionate about football, I'd guess:

0-1 years: 20%....
    2-5 years: 55%...
    6-10 years: 20%...
    11+ years: 5% (which would depend on CAFC or whatever English club he might then own being in the EPL and having what might by then be an income of £150 million a year, just for turning up).
  • Options
    It could be argued before that Standard Liege were the biggest club in his network, indeed wasn't one of the worries when the takeover happened that they would steal our best players.

We've benefited overall, as their 'unwanted players' have overall been good enough for us, certainly Buyens and Bulot were. It's unlikely that we will benefit from the remaining network clubs in the same way.

• Options
    edited June 2015
    Haven't we had some good players sent across from Standard Liege, as well as some not very good players that we might normally not had access too.

So in theory we are unlikely to be getting any half decent players in the future from Liege?

I wonder if Roland is looking to add more clubs from other countries to his portfolio, whether he's winding down his business , bit by bit.

Or whether he's finally worked it out on his giant chess board, that we are the likeliest outcome to a pot of gold by being in the Premiership?

I've given up trying to second this fella, at times he baffles me with his logic.
  • Options

Haven't we had some good players sent across from Standard Liege, as well as some not very good players that we might normally not had access too.

So in theory we are unlikely to be getting any half decent players in the future from Liege?

I wonder if Roland is looking to add more clubs from other countries to his portfolio, whether he's winding down his business , bit by bit.

Or whether he's finally worked it out on his giant chess board, that we are the likeliest outcome to a pot of gold by being in the Premiership?

I've given up trying to second this fella, at times he baffles me with his logic.

I doubt things will work the same as with Sint Truiden, who have continued to pass players to and fro with the RD network, but I wonder if an unannounced part of the Standard sale might be ongoing co-operation over loans and transfers. We should see over the next couple of months.
  • Options

I doubt things will work the same as with Sint Truiden, who have continued to pass players to and fro with the RD network, but I wonder if an unannounced part of the Standard sale might be ongoing co-operation over loans and transfers. We should see over the next couple of months.
    I think that will be the case.
  • Options
    edited June 2015
    RD's only passion for football is for Sint Truiden. Also Katrien's girlhood team. Do they have a profitable Academy, I wonder? (I don't think so...) They've just made it to the top division in Belgium, so much closer to the European leagues than little old Charlton. Sell off our assets (maybe why he bought us) and propel ST into the big time? I may be completely wrong here as I have been enjoying a very nice weekend, so don't take this too seriously.
  • Options
    @Weegie Addick And Lifers wonder why the Trust find it hard to get Katriene onside!
  • Options
    Just a tongue in cheek personal opinion, @ExiledinManchester ;-) Though might be a bit more serious if we do sell Jordan Cousins..
  • Options
    Been said many times but its gonna be an interesting summer, I guess we'll see/guess how much of any sales will be reinvested.

I sure dont think it makes sense to have two clubs in the same division for RD, i guess its about moving players up and down until they reach their level.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    I see the Trust peeps are reporting CAFC top of the pyramid http://castrust.org
  • Options
    Yeah yeah yeah! Top of the pyramid. We are exactly where we were two weeks ago, minus Gomez. RD has outlined his visión of Charlton as a championship club who live off their youth program, and that's how it will stay.
  • Options

Yeah yeah yeah! Top of the pyramid. We are exactly where we were two weeks ago, minus Gomez. RD has outlined his visión of Charlton as a championship club who live off their youth program, and that's how it will stay.

But that vision was when he owned a bigger club. We are now the biggest club he owns and a bit heavier investment might see him get a bigger return if we went up. Let's see what happens over the next few weeks.
  • Options

Has he? Got a link?
  • Options
    razil said:

I see the Trust peeps are reporting CAFC top of the pyramid http://castrust.org

It's Belgian journalist opinion, to be accurate. RD himself denied in the press conference that there ever was a pyramid.

We simply have to wait and see, as many people have already said
  • Options

@Weegie Addick And Lifers wonder why the Trust find it hard to get Katriene onside!

What part of "don't take this too seriously" did you not understand?
  • Options
    I wonder if he is now looking to exploit the French player base more, big population, etc
  • Options

Source?
  • Options

I'm probably being very naive here, having no business acumen whatsoever and little interest in the economic machinations of running a club, but I don't understand why a multi-millionaire business man would buy a Championship football club and not make it his absolute priority to get that club into the Premiership.

Of course, he'd have to spend millions in doing so,but wouldn't a season in the all-you can-eat Premiership recoup that outlay and make a bigger profit than simply selling off our talented youngsters?

I genuinely don't know.
  • Options

I'm stil not totally convinced that RD has a target for Charlton in any way other than to break even yet remain the club they already are. I don't see any evidence that the Premier League is his Holy Grail.

I think that he thinks having a very very good academy means that we can produce a production line of Players like Jenkinson, Shelvey, Poyet and Gomez etc etc which can be sold every season or so in order to fund the club.

If we get lucky with some value punts from overseas as well then that adds some value too.

I don't see a plan to build a squad year on year to attack the playoffs like Curbishley did under Murray. I see a policy of increasing the use of academy players as they come on line, a few shrewd? Signings and gaps filled with the Johnsons, Eagles, Bikeys where necessary. Being able to utilise other network clubs is a useful addition although the sale of Standard Liege means that the network has no clubs where player quality matches that of The Championship which unless that is addressed (Lens) ? Causes RD a problem he hasn't had before.

That I believe is Roland's experiment to prove that clubs can be run to break even.

Redskin, this is our best guess, as to his motives.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    Does RD really want to break even or does he want to make money? I know what I think, but I do not know how he intends to do it
  • Options

I'm stil not totally convinced that RD has a target for Charlton in any way other than to break even yet remain the club they already are. I don't see any evidence that the Premier League is his Holy Grail.

I think that he thinks having a very very good academy means that we can produce a production line of Players like Jenkinson, Shelvey, Poyet and Gomez etc etc which can be sold every season or so in order to fund the club.

If we get lucky with some value punts from overseas as well then that adds some value too.

I don't see a plan to build a squad year on year to attack the playoffs like Curbishley did under Murray. I see a policy of increasing the use of academy players as they come on line, a few shrewd? Signings and gaps filled with the Johnsons, Eagles, Bikeys where necessary. Being able to utilise other network clubs is a useful addition although the sale of Standard Liege means that the network has no clubs where player quality matches that of The Championship which unless that is addressed (Lens) ? Causes RD a problem he hasn't had before.

That I believe is Roland's experiment to prove that clubs can be run to break even.

That all makes sense CE,but I still don't see why a businessman would simply want to break even and not make a profit of some sort.Unless, of course, he does that by selling the club.

Aha! that's it isn't it?

By George, I think she's got it!

• Options
    edited June 2015
    Redskin said:

That all makes sense CE,but I still don't see why a businessman would simply want to break even and not make a profit of some sort.Unless, of course, he does that by selling the club.

Aha! that's it isn't it?

By George, I think she's got it!

There ain't anyone, in the whole wide world, that can work RD out. :smile:
  • Options
    True price he sold SL for including players last summer is £48m I think.
  • Options
    Redskin said:

I'm probably being very naive here, having no business acumen whatsoever and little interest in the economic machinations of running a club, but I don't understand why a multi-millionaire business man would buy a Championship football club and not make it his absolute priority to get that club into the Premiership.

Of course, he'd have to spend millions in doing so,but wouldn't a season in the all-you can-eat Premiership recoup that outlay and make a bigger profit than simply selling off our talented youngsters?

I genuinely don't know.
    I really do not think it is possible to break even in The Championship for any meaningful amount of time, let alone turn a profit so unless he bought us for inheritance tax avoidance reasons (ie do your money on a mid range Champ club and leave your family nowt = no tax bill!) the only logical conclusion is he has some desire for promotion to the PL.
  • Options
    Link with Standard Liege should continue

• Options

Roly fucks off, they go and win a trophy.

Won the Belgian cup today beating league leaders Club Brugge 2-1

That could be us next season with the Johnstones Paint Trophy
    NOOOOOOO!

Better get our season tickets soon then otherwise NO chance of getting a Wembley ticket !