Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Traffic chaos in Kent

Comments

• Options

Macronate said:

All I want to know is will I be able to get to Dymchurch on Saturday?

A21 to Hastings and then A259 along the coast.

may take a bit longer and there will be millions taking the same route but just trying to help.
    Cheers, might try that
    Did you see my earlier post Dave...you can take the turn off at Hawkhurst head for Rye and go that way.
    No, byt just read it, thanks. We may go to Hastings instead, any idea how much disruption I'm likely to face?
    Not to sure...would be a good time to visit Hastings though....it's the start of carnival week....free music concert on the Stade open space (near the RNLI station) both on Saturday and Sunday...2-8pm & 2-7pm respectively.
  • Options
    edited July 2015
    seth plum said:

I knew I would get flack but the lack of empathy with fellow humans is breathtaking. The criminals and scroungers wanting to breach our walls have in the vast majority of cases walked from war torn Africa and Middle East. How desperate must they be to even consider such a journey with no money food or idea of outcome. If that alone doesn't attract some sympathy with their plight then I'm saddened.

Previously on this thread when Kentred waffled on about us having an obligation to take these refugees in I made him/her an offer that I would drive some of the refugees round to him/her so he/she could take them in. Surprisingly I never heard anymore.

So I'll make the same offer to you. Give us your address and I'll drop some of these poor people round to you for you to look after. Doesn't matter if you haven't got a spare room, I'm sure they'll be happy to sleep on your sofa.

Or am I right in assuming you don't actually want to do it yourself but are quite happy for other taxpayers to pick up the bill?
    I think I know why you issue these challenges. In a way you have understandably individualised and particularised the issue because it is all we have left when trying to proceed as a community is so rudderless and random.

There are loads of things in life we have to group together to try to deal with, and it seems to me the issue is not about SHG's or Kentreds apparent waffling empathy, they are entitled to feel that way, it is about how collectively all of us involved are failing here.

NLA as an individual has his lighter and WD40, and I fully understand that, and also respect what he has written about it actually being a fearful situation, and as a decent working guy, this is like something we used to see on the telly far away piling into the cab of his van. Appalling situation for NLA and others to experience, and more importantly to experience effectively alone, so folk are driven to drastic individual responses.

So we have NLA alone to endure it, you would also have Kentred and SHG alone to take in people and deal with it for the cheek (?) of expressing empathy. If ever there was a situation where folk should act together it is this one, but we are fragmented because the leadership on this is non existent, or in the hands of politicians who are caught in the headlights.

Having a go at NLA for feeling like taking extreme measures, or having a go at SHG for feeling empathetic is not going to solve things.

I don't pretend to have an easy solution, and it is in this kind of situation that we are supposed to have decent leaders in authority to plan how to sort it out. A Cobra meeting has happened, and fences planned and so on, I am doubtful, but maybe that will solve everything.

The wider debate (and I don't mean on here) is in danger of becoming hysterical and toxic, and the shocking thing is it is not difficult to see why, but hysteria and toxicity are useless when a cool and quick response it what is really needed.

Firstly the physical problems need to be sorted, and people and places made safe and secure, but that also needs to be matched by some kind of plan to deal with all those people who have pitched up, and that plan needs to be credible.

The costs right now are negligible when measures against the costs that Turkey has had to meet with their two million refugees, but for Turkey it is recognised as an international crisis and all kinds of agencies are involved.

The Calais thing is so localised and small in comparison that the rest of the world is leaving it up to Britain and France to sort out, so far they have not been doing it, which brings us back to, if not the authorities, then we as individuals have to take it on, and it will fragment us even more.

NLA absolutely deserves to go about his business in an ordinary and decent way. SHG and others deserve to also mention that maybe not everybody is scum, and perhaps to be driven to the point of (for instance) stowing away in the axle space of a lorry is an act of desperation for whatever reason. It may be equivocation or squaring a circle, but both the kind of response of NLA and the kind of response of SHG seem to be valid.

There has recently been an election, and it is time for the leaders to lead.
    Oh yes, leadership, and just watch the outcry and the protests on the streets from the Labour left and the Greens the moment Cameron tries to impose strict quotas on migration and tries to take the sugar off the table by cutting the benefits. It's a bit hard to show leadership when the vocal left are so opposed to anything that is perceived as being tough or harsh, or contravening peoples human rights. Never mind NLA's human rights in trying to provide for his family and going about his daily life without being threatened.

• Options

seth plum said:

I knew I would get flack but the lack of empathy with fellow humans is breathtaking. The criminals and scroungers wanting to breach our walls have in the vast majority of cases walked from war torn Africa and Middle East. How desperate must they be to even consider such a journey with no money food or idea of outcome. If that alone doesn't attract some sympathy with their plight then I'm saddened.

Previously on this thread when Kentred waffled on about us having an obligation to take these refugees in I made him/her an offer that I would drive some of the refugees round to him/her so he/she could take them in. Surprisingly I never heard anymore.

So I'll make the same offer to you. Give us your address and I'll drop some of these poor people round to you for you to look after. Doesn't matter if you haven't got a spare room, I'm sure they'll be happy to sleep on your sofa.

Or am I right in assuming you don't actually want to do it yourself but are quite happy for other taxpayers to pick up the bill?
    I think I know why you issue these challenges. In a way you have understandably individualised and particularised the issue because it is all we have left when trying to proceed as a community is so rudderless and random.

There are loads of things in life we have to group together to try to deal with, and it seems to me the issue is not about SHG's or Kentreds apparent waffling empathy, they are entitled to feel that way, it is about how collectively all of us involved are failing here.

NLA as an individual has his lighter and WD40, and I fully understand that, and also respect what he has written about it actually being a fearful situation, and as a decent working guy, this is like something we used to see on the telly far away piling into the cab of his van. Appalling situation for NLA and others to experience, and more importantly to experience effectively alone, so folk are driven to drastic individual responses.

So we have NLA alone to endure it, you would also have Kentred and SHG alone to take in people and deal with it for the cheek (?) of expressing empathy. If ever there was a situation where folk should act together it is this one, but we are fragmented because the leadership on this is non existent, or in the hands of politicians who are caught in the headlights.

Having a go at NLA for feeling like taking extreme measures, or having a go at SHG for feeling empathetic is not going to solve things.

I don't pretend to have an easy solution, and it is in this kind of situation that we are supposed to have decent leaders in authority to plan how to sort it out. A Cobra meeting has happened, and fences planned and so on, I am doubtful, but maybe that will solve everything.

The wider debate (and I don't mean on here) is in danger of becoming hysterical and toxic, and the shocking thing is it is not difficult to see why, but hysteria and toxicity are useless when a cool and quick response it what is really needed.

Firstly the physical problems need to be sorted, and people and places made safe and secure, but that also needs to be matched by some kind of plan to deal with all those people who have pitched up, and that plan needs to be credible.

The costs right now are negligible when measures against the costs that Turkey has had to meet with their two million refugees, but for Turkey it is recognised as an international crisis and all kinds of agencies are involved.

The Calais thing is so localised and small in comparison that the rest of the world is leaving it up to Britain and France to sort out, so far they have not been doing it, which brings us back to, if not the authorities, then we as individuals have to take it on, and it will fragment us even more.

NLA absolutely deserves to go about his business in an ordinary and decent way. SHG and others deserve to also mention that maybe not everybody is scum, and perhaps to be driven to the point of (for instance) stowing away in the axle space of a lorry is an act of desperation for whatever reason. It may be equivocation or squaring a circle, but both the kind of response of NLA and the kind of response of SHG seem to be valid.

Oh yes, leadership, and just watch the outcry and the protests on the streets from the Labour left and the Greens the moment Cameron tries to impose strict quotas on migration and tries to take the sugar off the table by cutting the benefits. It's a bit hard to show leadership when the vocal left are so opposed to anything that is perceived as being tough or harsh, or contravening peoples human rights. Never mind NLA's human rights in trying to provide for his family and going about his daily life without being threatened.

The election has happened and the present government won. Cameron has a mandate whatever the vocal left say doesn't he, he is the bloke in charge right now?
    If you read my post I express every sympathy towards NLA on this matter don't I?

• Options
    edited July 2015
    Interesting graph in this article showing asylum seekers per 1 million of the population of the country in which asylum is being sought. The UK comes 19th in that table.

http://www.theguardian.com/world/datablog/2015/may/11/which-eu-countries-receive-the-most-asylum-seekers
  • Options

Interesting graph in this article showing asylum seekers per 1 million of the population of the country in which asylum is being sought. The UK comes 19th in that table.

http://www.theguardian.com/world/datablog/2015/may/11/which-eu-countries-receive-the-most-asylum-seekers

It is interesting but it has already been established that the vast majority of people seeking to enter the UK illegally via Calais are economic migrants and so would not be making any asylum application.
  • Options

Walked?
    Clearly you have no understanding of the process.
    Shipped to Itsly, free, uncontested train ride (because no one will dare challenge them) across Europe to Calais, is how the vast majority travel.
    How do I know?
    Working to provide foster parents for several 'young' men (20 years old plus, but claiming to be 15to get the full range of UK assistance) in Birmingham, some with 'family' contacts in London but getting free schooling, accommodation, laptops, clothing, transport to mosque each week. It is just shocking.

To say they are fleeing or walking is absolutely ridiculous. What do you think is wrong with Italy or France that they have to 'flee' to the UK?
    This is the question that bothers me - they're in France, why are they not claiming asylum in France if they are genuinely looking for safe refuge? Surely the first place of safety - the first country offering asylum they enter - is where they should ask for asylum. Otherwise surely the motivation for entry to the UK is not asylum, in which case they should be denied. It's a mess, eh.
  • Options
    it is because they are not assylum seekers.
  • Options

Thank you for your offer although I first need you to point out to me in which post I stated that I was in favour of them being allowed entry into the UK.

I know they can't and shouldn't be allowed to come here but that doesn't stop me having waffling empathy and sympathy with their plight any less than it stops me feeling sorry for the desperate health tourist who comes here hoping to get treatment to save their lives because they can't afford to get that treatment in their own country.

We need to say enough is enough on both issues but I would prefer Britain as a society to have some pity for these people and to seek with others a good solution and not adopt the distasteful approach of pepper spray, rubber bullets and worse all suggested in this thread either in some jest ? Or seriously.

I would hope we are better than that.

SHG do you still have sympathy for these people even if they threaten, steal and intimidate innocent people?
    SHG??
    No I don't. But I also don't believe that all of the people in Calais trying to get across are bad people.

• Options
    Fiiish said:

It is interesting but it has already been established that the vast majority of people seeking to enter the UK illegally via Calais are economic migrants and so would not be making any asylum application.
    Where are these economic migrants from?

This BBC article suggests that the vast majority of the increase in asylum seekers in the EU in the last year are fleeing war torn countries.

bbc.co.uk/news/world-europe-24583286
  • Options
    How can they be economic migrants if they're entering illegally???
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    rikofold said:

Walked?
    Shipped to Itsly, free, uncontested train ride (because no one will dare challenge them) across Europe to Calais, is how the vast majority travel.
    How do I know?
    Working to provide foster parents for several 'young' men (20 years old plus, but claiming to be 15to get the full range of UK assistance) in Birmingham, some with 'family' contacts in London but getting free schooling, accommodation, laptops, clothing, transport to mosque each week. It is just shocking.

To say they are fleeing or walking is absolutely ridiculous. What do you think is wrong with Italy or France that they have to 'flee' to the UK?
    This is the question that bothers me - they're in France, why are they not claiming asylum in France if they are genuinely looking for safe refuge? Surely the first place of safety - the first country offering asylum they enter - is where they should ask for asylum. Otherwise surely the motivation for entry to the UK is not asylum, in which case they should be denied. It's a mess, eh.
    Invariably these people arrive in the Mediterranean ports so unless the UK government wants to take its fair share of asylum seekers from the Italians, Spanish or Greeks then I don't see how it's fair other than to say to our fellow EU countries "it's your problem. Do one"
  • Options
    smiffyboy said:

Don't care what the table says I don't want these vermin in my country stealing and spitting everywhere while claiming my hard earned taxes
    I expect the taxes you pay in your lifetime will only pay for what you receive eg nhs and education until age 16 would take the first £60000 you pay at a minimum. All this my taxes stuff is pure daily mail shit to back up the austerity money transfer.
  • Options
    edited July 2015
    smiffyboy said:

Don't care what the table says I don't want these vermin in my country stealing and spitting everywhere while claiming my hard earned taxes
    This. Just because some lefty Guardian article claims that it is a bigger issue in other countries doesn't mean I'm happy to deal with it in this country.

Another thing about that article which made me laugh was how it claimed that the UK was "not pulling its weight" in taking in more asylum seekers!
  • Options
    seth plum said:

seth plum said:

The election has happened and the present government won. Cameron has a mandate whatever the vocal left say doesn't he, he is the bloke in charge right now?
    If you read my post I express every sympathy towards NLA on this matter don't I?

Yes Cameron has a mandate. But the horse bolted many years ago under Blair and Cameron has been left to pick up the pieces. It is now an impossible job, that cannot be solved. It is sadly something that I predicted when I decided to move my family to Australia in 2003. When it takes over a week to see a GP or six months to see a specialist, or when the queues at the post office are backing up down the street, then you know the system is buckling under the strain.
    Yes you did express sympathy towards NLA. I was simply making the point that the people of the UK also have rights, but those rights are often ignored by the left who would happily open the borders to anyone who would like make a new life in the UK, no matter how much that impacts the lives of the people already there.

• Options

seth plum said:

Illegal immigrants cannot receive benefits. These people in France are entering illegally, not through proper channels. Cutting benefits would do nothing to deter them as they don't get them anyway.
  • Options

rikofold said:

Walked?
    How do I know?

Invariably these people arrive in the Mediterranean ports so unless the UK government wants to take its fair share of asylum seekers from the Italians, Spanish or Greeks then I don't see how it's fair other than to say to our fellow EU countries "it's your problem. Do one"
    I don't necessarily disagree, but why should that decision be down to the asylum seeker? More to the point, why are they waiting to identify themselves as someone seeking asylum until they're in the country of their choice? If they're desperate for a safe haven, what's so different about France and Italy that they should reject them as such? It screams to me of a different motivation than sanctuary.
  • Options
    edited July 2015
    cafctom said:

smiffyboy said:

This. Just because some lefty Guardian article claims that it is a bigger issue in other countries doesn't mean I'm happy to deal with it in this country.

Another thing about that article which made me laugh was how it claimed that the UK was "not pulling its weight" in taking in more asylum seekers!
    No one is saying you should be happy with it. Or not complain about it. Just don't spout UKIP crap that the UK is being treated unfairly by the rest of the EU as the whole of Europe tries to deal with this problem in a civilised and humane way.
  • Options
    kentred2 said:

smiffyboy said:

I expect the taxes you pay in your lifetime will only pay for what you receive eg nhs and education until age 16 would take the first £60000 you pay at a minimum. All this my taxes stuff is pure daily mail shit to back up the austerity money transfer.
    I've paid more than £60000 in taxes in the last 2.5 years so that's rubbish
  • Options

Fiiish said:

This BBC article suggests that the vast majority of the increase in asylum seekers in the EU in the last year are fleeing war torn countries.

And providing they have their facts correct, this is probably true. However, to determine this, they would need a passport or other documentation to support their claims.

If they majority of those presently causing disruption in Calais had this documentation, the French would be within their rights to send them back from where they came. This is the sticking point.

If/when they arrive here we have the same issue.

• Options
    cafctom said:

smiffyboy said:

To use someone else's tweet

I'm always bemused when 'lefty' is used as an insult:

'Look at you! You decent human being you! Being all carin and stuff'
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    smiffyboy said:

kentred2 said:

smiffyboy said:

Lucky you
  • Options
    smiffyboy said:

Illegal immigrants cannot receive benefits.

Tone down the xenophobia.
  • Options
    kentred2 said:

cafctom said:

smiffyboy said:

'oooh look at me and how caring i am from all the way up here on my moral high ground'
  • Options
    And thats exactly it Gary. A lot of views and ideas from the left are things I agree with, its just the way they are conveyed with the smattering of smartarse that I've become sick of.

cafctom said:

smiffyboy said:

No one is saying you should be happy with it. Or not complain about it. Just don't spout UKIP crap that the UK is being treated unfairly by the rest of the EU as the whole of Europe tries to deal with this problem in a civilised and humane way.
    Nothing to do with spouting what UKIP say, its my opinion that it shouldn't be a matter of us "pulling our weight" to help out asylum seekers. We should be focusing more on "pulling our weight" to protect our own country first, and then worry about others second.

• Options
    smiffyboy said:

kentred2 said:

smiffyboy said:

Lend us a tenner.

• Options
    There but for the grace of God go I.
  • Options
    edited July 2015

kentred2 said:

cafctom said:

smiffyboy said:

'oooh look at me and how caring i am from all the way up here on my moral high ground'
    I'm not sure how being a lefty and being a decent human being are in any way connected.

Also, people fleeing a country that has gone to shit are not necessarily asylum seekers. Generally speaking, if a country is a warzone, those fleeing are refugees and should head to a designated refugee camp. Those who ignore this and decide to head to Northern Europe instead are not afforded such rights.
  • Options

Fiiish said:

Bit cheeky to leave their wives and kids back home
  • Options
    smiffyboy said:

kentred2 said:

smiffyboy said:

That's nothing compared to your gambling winnings though I bet smiffy :wink:

Acca season is upon us again soon. I'll be starting the new thread I think so we can all focus on who your money is on
  • Options
    Fiiish said:

kentred2 said:

cafctom said:

smiffyboy said:

I'm not sure how being a lefty and being a decent human being are in any way connected.

Well quite. Neither does sparing a thought for the plight of the people who are driven to migrate from Syria make you a leftie. Nor does reading or quoting the Guardian, for that matter , especially when what you quote is statistics from an independent source.