Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.

+++Bergdich deal agreed....SIGNED - 4 YEAR DEAL+++

Comments

• My feeling based on a ten minute conversation with KF way back when we lost at home to Birmingham was that he is at least very involved with sourcing players. He without doubt said to me and I paraphrase " I look at some players, make some recommendations. I know a lot of players." He certainly gave me the impression that he was scouting for the network.

Yes he is a football man and knows a great deal. Yes he sees players and makes recommendations but some would say (hope that this does not wake the beast of Bromley) that this means he’s a 'head of recruitment'. There are, or have been 'unknown laptop' faces recruiting players but I think/hope that they or RD/JE will concentrate on a backbone of Championship type players now and ready to play. Realistically this can only happen to January window.
    Let's hope they/he chooses well and the evil one pays up!
    COYR

Championship type players? There's no evidence to suggest that they even know what a Championship type player is.
  • edited December 2015

Bergdich is not Lionel Messi but is no way as bad as some are making out .. he has hardly had time to get used to English football AND, no-one knows what he cost .. we are in 'Francis territory' here, potentially scapegoating a player for no obvious reason that I can see .. he's presumably being loaned out as Fox is very much improved and Holmes-Dennis has proved to be just made for 1st team football
    .. as For Sarr .. the club signed him as POTENTIAL, which he undoubtedly has .. as with Bergdich, he's hardly had time to settle ..
    AND .. given the supposed state of the clubs finances, sending players out on loan SAVES MONEY and keeps said player match fit

lets say you are right about bergadich and sarr and they are here for the potential they have and to be good in the future. but how does any of that help us in the here and now? the number 1 priority should be to have players who can be in starting 11 to try and help us stay in the division, then add youngsters on top of that.
    instead they sell or get rid of any defenders who were that and bring in youngsters. we are relying on our very own youngsters in lennon, fox, holmes dennis to step up. we bring in bergadich, sarr and bauer who are all young and untested in this league. it's such an amateur mistake it's laughable, it really is.
    I would agree with much of what you type .. I TYPED a long way up the page that the 'regime' has made a lot of fuck ups over the past few months as well as some good decisions .. loaning out Harriott looks bad now because he's done so well at Colchester, the same may apply to Lennon who's come back more experienced and match fit (except he's now crocked of course)
    .. as to the here and now .. any business, be it a corner shop or a pro FC needs to look to the future, to sign 'staff' deemed to have potential .. Bergdich being loaned out is probably to allow funds to be freed up for an incoming player next month, let's hope so .. CAFC seems to be being run on pretty austere lines to save us from bankruptcy perhaps, I don't know .. BUT .. employing players is very expensive .. do the sums .. players hanging around doing nothing are a drag on resources
    I would hope that Harriott is recalled a s a p, that Lennon recovers from injury and proves to be the very good player I saw last season and that Bergdich, Sarr and whoever else prove in the longer term to be good investments .. if not, we will not be the first nor the last club to make mistakes when it comes to player purchases ..
    last point .. the new youngsters .. have you seen Holmes-Dennis and Lookman play ? .. they are terrific ..also we've blooded Kennedy this season .. this all augers VERY well for the future
    Yeah that new assistant at my local shop has (carrier) bags of potential. The way he stacked the sugar really showed his natural ability, that guy is going places and it wont be long before one of the big three (Tesco, Asda, Sainsbury) snap him up.

Seriously, what ARE you talking about? Comparing footballers to corner shop staff?

Who is this chap? Next manager, next scout, next CEO, next Trust chairman, next Next model, next new signing, who is he?

He's borrowed that suit off Rodney Trotter. Still got tomato stains on it
  • He's got lovely hair
  • Where's the accountability for all the player scouting decisions ?
  • My feeling based on a ten minute conversation with KF way back when we lost at home to Birmingham was that he is at least very involved with sourcing players. He without doubt said to me and I paraphrase " I look at some players, make some recommendations. I know a lot of players." He certainly gave me the impression that he was scouting for the network.

Yes he is a football man and knows a great deal. Yes he sees players and makes recommendations but some would say (hope that this does not wake the beast of Bromley) that this means he’s a 'head of recruitment'. There are, or have been 'unknown laptop' faces recruiting players but I think/hope that they or RD/JE will concentrate on a backbone of Championship type players now and ready to play. Realistically this can only happen to January window.
    COYR

Championship type players? There's no evidence to suggest that they even know what a Championship type player is.
    I understand your scepticism WestCountryAddict but KF and JE are working closely together, so between them I think they will choose wisely provided they are allowed the necessary dosh.... If you have no confidence in KF then perhaps you will have more in Jason.
    All signings are somewhat of a gamble and even Curbs got it wrong sometimes. Of course if they get it wrong it will be Karel's fault and it they get it right it will be Jason that gets the credit no doubt.....
  • @Desperate_Pete out of interest, are all you views on the current set up based on your chat with Fraeye in the Cray clubhouse, or from other insight?
  • @Desperate_Pete out of interest, are all you views on the current set up based on your chat with Fraeye in the Cray clubhouse, or from other insight?

Both.
  • Sponsored links:

• Forgot Bergditch was with us. That's how bad he's been. And how sorely he'll be missed.

COYR

I understand your scepticism WestCountryAddict but KF and JE are working closely together, so between them I think they will choose wisely provided they are allowed the necessary dosh.... If you have no confidence in KF then perhaps you will have more in Jason.
    All signings are somewhat of a gamble and even Curbs got it wrong sometimes. Of course if they get it wrong it will be Karel's fault and it they get it right it will be Jason that gets the credit no doubt.....
    Karel Fraeye must be laughing his tits off that he is managing a Championship club.

All his Christmas's have come at once.
  • edited December 2015
    2 questions :smile:

1) How much did we pay for Zak, or did we pick him up on a free?

2) Will this decision be loading more debt onto the club?

• Bergdich is not Lionel Messi but is no way as bad as some are making out .. he has hardly had time to get used to English football AND, no-one knows what he cost .. we are in 'Francis territory' here, potentially scapegoating a player for no obvious reason that I can see .. he's presumably being loaned out as Fox is very much improved and Holmes-Dennis has proved to be just made for 1st team football
    .. as For Sarr .. the club signed him as POTENTIAL, which he undoubtedly has .. as with Bergdich, he's hardly had time to settle ..
    AND .. given the supposed state of the clubs finances, sending players out on loan SAVES MONEY and keeps said player match fit

lets say you are right about bergadich and sarr and they are here for the potential they have and to be good in the future. but how does any of that help us in the here and now? the number 1 priority should be to have players who can be in starting 11 to try and help us stay in the division, then add youngsters on top of that.
    instead they sell or get rid of any defenders who were that and bring in youngsters. we are relying on our very own youngsters in lennon, fox, holmes dennis to step up. we bring in bergadich, sarr and bauer who are all young and untested in this league. it's such an amateur mistake it's laughable, it really is.
    I would agree with much of what you type .. I TYPED a long way up the page that the 'regime' has made a lot of fuck ups over the past few months as well as some good decisions .. loaning out Harriott looks bad now because he's done so well at Colchester, the same may apply to Lennon who's come back more experienced and match fit (except he's now crocked of course)
    .. as to the here and now .. any business, be it a corner shop or a pro FC needs to look to the future, to sign 'staff' deemed to have potential .. Bergdich being loaned out is probably to allow funds to be freed up for an incoming player next month, let's hope so .. CAFC seems to be being run on pretty austere lines to save us from bankruptcy perhaps, I don't know .. BUT .. employing players is very expensive .. do the sums .. players hanging around doing nothing are a drag on resources
    I would hope that Harriott is recalled a s a p, that Lennon recovers from injury and proves to be the very good player I saw last season and that Bergdich, Sarr and whoever else prove in the longer term to be good investments .. if not, we will not be the first nor the last club to make mistakes when it comes to player purchases ..
    last point .. the new youngsters .. have you seen Holmes-Dennis and Lookman play ? .. they are terrific ..also we've blooded Kennedy this season .. this all augers VERY well for the future
    Yeah that new assistant at my local shop has (carrier) bags of potential. The way he stacked the sugar really showed his natural ability, that guy is going places and it wont be long before one of the big three (Tesco, Asda, Sainsbury) snap him up.

Seriously, what ARE you talking about? Comparing footballers to corner shop staff?

Can we take this one back for a refund please!
  • rikofold said:

I've said it before, If I was Duchatelet I'd be grilling the geniuses who keep recruiting substandard players. It's costing him a lot more than free coffee in Crossbars which Katrien pinpointed as one of the drains on resources.

I was lead to believe that the head of recruitment was Karel Fraeye.
    Henry, yet again you repeat the claim that Karel Fraeye you "believe" was head of recruitment. In another post ( http://forum.charltonlife.com/discussion/comment/2306364/#Comment_2306364) you said that this was a 'fact' but you never replied, so here is your opportunity to do so (with respect).
    I believe this not to be true and I do not think that it helps to spread unsubstantiated 'facts' which may result in the growing not very pleasant atmosphere at the valley deteriating further when the team needs more support rather than less or muted support.
    That's your right.

I believe he was the person responsible for scouting the Charlton team on behalf of RD before Chris Powell had left, was the person who said that Polish Pete was more than adequate replacement for Yann and who remained the head of the data analysis recruitment team all through the time Roland has owned the club.

I have been told this by multiple sources, his statements to fans and his continued employment by the network back this up.

You can choose not to believe me or you may wish to draw a different conclusion. I stick with my belief that that was, and possibly still is, his role.
    I'd heard he was one of the two but not the main protagonist - but I can't name the one who I was told was (nothing sinister, I just can't remember).
    Dudu Dahan?
    I remember that a few people met Fraeye and one other guy in the period when Chris Powell was still in place, they described themselves as analysts. @seth plum was one of the fans who met them, as I recall.

Duhan is RD's Zahavi. I doubt he does anything so tedious as scouting or data analysis, let alone turn up at a grubby CHampionship game. The only spreadsheet he will have will have lots of euros on it (and conversion rates for various African currencies)

• Exactly! Did I read that he has made six starts? Although some fans clearly disagree, that is no time at all to judge a player starting out in a new league in a new country.

The only other possibility is that he is struggling to settle (which wouldn't be a huge shock at our place at the moment) and is trying to engineer a move himself.
  • edited December 2015

Bergdich is not Lionel Messi but is no way as bad as some are making out .. he has hardly had time to get used to English football AND, no-one knows what he cost .. we are in 'Francis territory' here, potentially scapegoating a player for no obvious reason that I can see .. he's presumably being loaned out as Fox is very much improved and Holmes-Dennis has proved to be just made for 1st team football

you possibly need to improve your comprehension/reading skills .. I refer to the actual BUSINESS needing to look to the future, including employing staff who will stick around and learn and flourish in ANY given business ..
    or are you deliberately just reading and replying in a negative fashion and trying to mock whereas you REALLY know what I am getting at ? .. whether you agree or disagree is up to you of course, you are obviously a 'Roland Sceptic' .. BUT .. If I were you I would try to make my retorts more to the point and less sarcastic and caricatured
  • Sponsored links:

• @Lincsaddick

You're surely not serious?

Lookman will be gone in January (or if we hang on to him then, then in the summer) and Holmes-Dennis will follow him out the door soon after.

Kennedy is a long way from being a serious first-teamer at the moment.

No point pinning your hopes on emerging talent. RD will sell them off at the first opportunity to recover some of his losses - all part of the plan.
    @Fortune 82nd Minute mate .. this post of yours, like mine is mere conjecture .. and I am always serious ((:>) .. anyway, players sold = cash in at the very worst, we hope
    But is what we do with the money that worries me.

This is true of course .. I suspect that Duchatelet is keen to balance the books and that he'll pay off any debts etc. before OKing the expensive signing of new players ..
    there are all types of theory on here .. he's an asset stripper to he's a fairy god mother .. does anyone really know the real, the full details of our finances, expenditure, how much the owner is taking from the club ? .. I don't think so .. alas, only time will tell
    I for one am much more optimistic than I was a year ago, despite our league position .. sooner be us than Bolton for example, in both a financial and footballing sense
  • Circa 700,000 Euro's plus a wedge of the wage budget down the pan. With 42 months left of his contract yet another huge blunder by the club. The circus experiment rolls on..
  • Roland's footballing strategy is like a property developer that buys a house without visiting it, turns up and decides it wasn't a great purchase after all, digs up the garden and paints the walls black and then sticks it back on the market again...

Fair enough, it's his own money that he's burning through but just imagine if he used it wisely and brought some stability rather than the cost and negative impacts of this ludicrous churn of footballing staff.
  • Roland's footballing strategy is like a property developer that buys a house without visiting it, turns up and decides it wasn't a great purchase after all, digs up the garden and paints the walls black and then sticks it back on the market again...

Fair enough, it's his own money that he's burning through but just imagine if he used it wisely and brought some stability rather than the cost and negative impacts of this ludicrous churn of footballing staff.

I'm wondering if it is his money though, or whether he's loading us up on long term debt, and unthinkable i know , because he's rumoured to be so wealthy , whether he's going to let us go pop, the transparency is deafening.
  • If Naby Sarr is worth 1.8m then there's hope for every lower league player out there.

Tbf to Sarr, who is quite obviously error prone, he's still young and learning. It's a difficult league to come into, especially as a young central defender chucked into a circus of a club, so I'm willing to give him the benefit of the doubt. From what I've seen there is a potentially good player in a few years. Learning from a class act like Diarra will help him. It's just a shame we don't really have a stable atmosphere to bring on players like him at the moment.
    Patrick Bauer Born: October 28, 1992 (age 23),
    Naby Sarr Born: August 13, 1993 (age 22),

The difference is astronomical...

I fear for this weekend.

Lennon and Sarr at the back? You sure Guv?

COYR

Even judging by your previous posts, I cannot believe that you actually think Jason Euell has some input on transfer policy. Do you provide Air B'n'B reviews on Karel's Brussels rental as well?

COYR

Won't bother getting into an argument with you as I wasn't there but, regardless of how long it was, you learnt a hell of a lot in one conversation with KF.
  • Bergdich is not Lionel Messi but is no way as bad as some are making out .. he has hardly had time to get used to English football AND, no-one knows what he cost .. we are in 'Francis territory' here, potentially scapegoating a player for no obvious reason that I can see .. he's presumably being loaned out as Fox is very much improved and Holmes-Dennis has proved to be just made for 1st team football

you possibly need to improve your comprehension/reading skills .. I refer to the actual BUSINESS needing to look to the future, including employing staff who will stick around and learn and flourish in ANY given business ..
    or are you deliberately just reading and replying in a negative fashion and trying to mock whereas you REALLY know what I am getting at ? .. whether you agree or disagree is up to you of course, you are obviously a 'Roland Sceptic' .. BUT .. If I were you I would try to make my retorts more to the point and less sarcastic and caricatured
    But you're not me :wink: