Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

+++Bergdich deal agreed....SIGNED - 4 YEAR DEAL+++

Comments

• Options
    Swisdom said:

Maybe. The fact is its nobody's business but theirs and shouldn't continually be brought up in the context of a new player signing for the club.

From what we know it was a one-off isolated incident that could have been nothing and could have been something.

He's innocent until proven guilty and all we are interested in is whether he can play football.

I agree in law he's innocent until found guilty but as important as his football ability is, his character is also a factor.
  • Options

Not long ago a Charlton player was accused of committing a very serious crime / crimes. Given the outcome of that, I would of thought most people would have waited until someone was convicted before saying x, y and z.

Too many unknowns.

Innocent until proven otherwise.

spot on mate.

Now, I know nothing of Italian law, but could it be that in such an instance the other person is arrested/charged as a matter of course until it's properly investigated?

• Options
    Addicted said:

You're basically inventing a story in your head with no evidence. Nobody likes someone who beats their wife, and nobody is condoning it, but if you make stuff up based on one news story when there's been no arrest and the two of them seemed happy enough the next day... kind of seems like you're desperate to be offended.

Like people are inventing the interpretation from a story that claims "he assaulted his wife who had injuries for 15 days" that he either didn't do it or it could have been as little as a bruised wrist.
  • Options

5 goals on 39 games is pretty good for a left back.

I'm probably wrong but I can't remember us having many goalscoring full backs?

Konchesky chipped in but I've just looked and his record was 5 in 149 games, in the short time he was with us Greg Shields scored a few belters!

I'd wager most of Konchesky's goals came when he played in midfield (where he was far better for us)
  • Options

Addicted said:

You're basically inventing a story in your head with no evidence. Nobody likes someone who beats their wife, and nobody is condoning it, but if you make stuff up based on one news story when there's been no arrest and the two of them seemed happy enough the next day... kind of seems like you're desperate to be offended.

Like people are inventing the interpretation from a story that claims "he assaulted his wife who had injuries for 15 days" that he either didn't do it or it could have been as little as a bruised wrist.
    There's your issue
  • Options
    Addicted said:

There's your issue

Sure but there isn't a lot else to go on the guy is there? If the story is complete bollocks then I take it back but writing a story that someone has been arrested for domestic assault you'd better have pretty strong sources it's not like writing a football rumour or some affair.

• Sponsored links:

• Options

Not long ago a Charlton player was accused of committing a very serious crime / crimes. Given the outcome of that, I would of thought most people would have waited until someone was convicted before saying x, y and z.

Get your point Sheffield, but my point is i would not have expected many other clubs to have come in for during that period whilst that was overhanging him.

That's my point about wanting to know what the facts are.

Of course, it could well mean with all this going on, Bergdich has attracted no interest at his market value and is now a cheaper proposition
  • Options
    Swisdom said:

Swisdom said:

Maybe. The fact is its nobody's business but theirs and shouldn't continually be brought up in the context of a new player signing for the club.

From what we know it was a one-off isolated incident that could have been nothing and could have been something.

He's innocent until proven guilty and all we are interested in is whether he can play football.

No.

That might be all YOU are interested but don't assume that is all WE are interested in.

We don't know the details or the outcome of this particular case but I disagree completely that abuse is "nobody's business but theirs"
    There's no proof of abuse therefore it is nobody's business but theirs.

Right now as things currently stand there was an altercation of some description. The police were called. There is nothing else reported in the press and he hasn't been charged with anything. Therefore in my, clearly feeble, mind he's just a bloke who plays football.

As has been said - the club can't have not noticed this and are clearly comfortable with it being something out of nothing or an isolated incident.

I am not condoning domestic violence - I abhor it as I've seen it happening twice to relatives. And if he turns out to be the big bad man some are painting him as then I'll join the queue to berate him and will question the acumen of those who signed him,

I reiterate - he is, in the eyes of the law, just a normal bloke who plays football and MY only interest is how well he can do that.

That's fine and I agree that he is innocent until proved guilty in English law. He shouldn't be condemned on rumour or an accusation.

Just don't like reading statements like "all we are interested in is whether he can play football" because it reads, rightly or wrongly, as if domestic abuse doesn't matter. You've made it clear now that that isn't the case for you and I accept that totally but that wasn't how it read at first.
  • Options

Considering the person that currently runs our football club is a woman, do people not think something like a domestic abuse rumour would have been thoroughly investigated before offering a long term contract???

Not necessarily.
  • Options

According to Cawley's earlier tweet, on a long term deal

Says agreed a deal, not signed it.

WIOTOS
    Move with the times Henry. Its always on Twitter and Facebook first.
  • Options

I suspect when looking to sign any player most, if not all, well run clubs look at the person as well as the player. With any player, any known allegations would almost certainly be addressed. If the club had concerns with regard to any players future availability as a result of events in the past, then these could potentially be addressed in both the contract with the selling club and also the contract with the player.

I doubt any football club would be put of signing a player simply on an unsubstantiated allegation.

As an individual supporter, a footballer must be treated the same way as anyone else and that is a presumption of innocence until proven otherwise.
  • Options
    How has it come to this with Wiggins? Is it known that he is out of the door now?
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    edited July 2015
    I find it somewhat disheartening that people are jumping on the domestic abuse band wagon, we know nothing of this case.

You don't know what happened.

You have no right to state he was beating his wife.

You have no reason to say he was innocent.

The fact they were pictured together the next day means nothing.

Who says an injury will take exactly 15 days to heal? Why not 2 weeks?

Who sold that detail to the paper?
    Did they get more money for saying it was abuse?

Was Bergdich actually arrested?
    Did the police request to talk to him about an injury his wife sustained?

Was the so called violence her striking him and in his attempts to stop her she got hurt?

Did you know 40% of domestic abuse cases in straight relationships are the female striking or mentally abusing their male counterpart?

Domestic abuse is disgusting and shouldn't be condoned by any.

But literally all of this is hearsay and rumour and Bergdich doesnt even seem to be being investigated.

So I will let him do what he does best, which is hopefully playing football.
  • Options
    iainment said:

Considering the person that currently runs our football club is a woman, do people not think something like a domestic abuse rumour would have been thoroughly investigated before offering a long term contract???

Not necessarily.
    Great input.
  • Options
    Rob62 said:

How has it come to this with Wiggins? Is it known that he is out of the door now?

It's come to this because he's picked up too many long term injuries. He can't seem to string a run of more than 10 games together & because of this he's not the player he was.

The club have said Bikey, Wiggins, Pigott are looking to be moved on. (Plus one other who I can't remember).
  • Options
    Dazzler21 said:

We have every reason to say he's innocent, as it stands, he is.
  • Options
    Dazzler21 said:

We have every reason to say he's innocent, as it stands, he is.
  • Options

Rob62 said:

It's come to this because he's picked up too many long term injuries. He can't seem to string a run of more than 10 games together & because of this he's not the player he was.

The club have said Bikey, Wiggins, Pigott are looking to be moved on. (Plus one other who I can't remember).
    And Harriott wasn't it?
  • Options
    Peter Shirtliff was also accused of domestic abuse, but he still became, (and remains) a Charlton Legend. Personally after hearing that I could never think the same of him.

We dont know the circumstance behind this, and we can only give Bergdich the benefit of the doubt and trust this doesnt re-occur. The key thing is what he does on the pitch but I do feel uncomfortable that we have signed him.
  • Options
    iainment said:

Not necessarily.
    I think I'm with @ValleyGary on this because Katrien in her interview with @WeegieAddick last year specifically mentioned the importance of character. And Katrien strikes me as someone who is ready to take a stand when necessary.
  • Options
    Halix said:

but I do feel uncomfortable that we have signed him.

do you feel uncomfortable that we have signed Makionok, Bauer, Kashi or Ba?

• Options
    Dazzler21 said:

iainment said:

Not necessarily.
    Great input.
    Thank you.