Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Charlton v Huddersfield - Post Match Thread

Comments

• Options

Was Fox that bad? Compared to the rest of the team? Thought Ba, Sarr, Pope and Watt were all worse tonight.

There were at least 5 players who had a worst game than Fox tonight . He just seems to be an easy target.
  • Options
    To almost quote Shirley Basseyand the Propellerheads:

The word is about, there's something evolving,
    whatever may come, the world keeps revolving
    They say the next big thing is here,
    that Rolands revolution's near,
    but to me it seems quite clear
    that it's all just a little bit of history repeating

The Forums shout a new style is growing,
    but it don't know if it's coming or going,
    there is fashion, there is fad
    some is good, some is bad
    and the joke is rather sad,
    that its all just a little bit of history repeating

.. and I've seen it before
    .. and I'll see it again
    .. yes I've seen it before
    .. just little bits of history repeating

• Options
    Awful tactics, why drop Diarra. Pope dreadful as was Fox, no pace up front and little movement until Igor came on, Watt is so greedy and predictable.

Cousins clearly out of position for most of the game. Take off our 6ft 7 centre forward then start to bang it long.

Has Luzon got a clue, I am beginning to wonder.

Oh and the ref was a joke.

Other than that it was alright!
  • Options
    First game of the season today and was really looking forward to it, that lasted less than 5 minutes.

We were all over the place from start to finish, the first half was awful with Ba, Pope, Sarr and Watt for me being the main culprits.

Thanks to Chris Powells defensive tactics we came into the game in the second half but still didn't push on enough and at times looked clueless. That said both big Mak and Bergdich had chances to equalise but had to composure and sent it high and wide.

For me there was lack of leadership out there and that really needs addressing. I was looking forward to seeing Bauer but thought Miller bullied him. Was speaking to a Huddersfield fan on train home as he said he though Miller was comical, that says a lot for our back line.

For me Kashi was the only one to really come out with any credit.

We need to get the ball to JBG a quicker and Watt needs to buck up his ideas. Very disappointed
  • Options

Luzon got it wrong tonight. Even given his goal I thought Sarr was poor and unless Diarra was carrying a knock, he should of partnered Bauer. The desision to take off Big Mak and leave on Watt was a total shocker. Cousins going out on the left flank again has been done to death and just doesn't work. Solly was once again a silent captain who looks burdened by the armband. I'm worried the real Tony Watt is beginning to rear his head. Rumours coming out of Sparrows last week about his potential being squandered by a problem with authority and training habits.

The Watt story is indeed worrying, if true. However I don't understand why Cuz is played wide left, when we ALL know that he is much more effective in the middle of the park. The line-up I suggested before the game was (in midfield) JBG, Cuz, Kashi, McAleny...if we get this player on loan (who is match fit) why not use him?
    Strange decisions in my opinion.
  • Options
    Poor quality from start to finish really. Pope made a big blunder for the first goal, seemed to try to punch it with both fists when it was easy to catch. Can't wait for Hendo to come back. Solly tried all game and was ok. Fox, worst game I have seen from him and also a big error in lead up to their first game. He was so far off the pace and repeatedly done. Sarr scored but struggled big time against a bulky but somewhat laboured and poor striker in Millar and Bauer was not his usual self without Diarra next to him. Average age of back 5 must have been 22/23 though.

Cousins on the left to accommodate Ba is madness, I just don't rate Ba so far. Cousins must move to the middle but even then I worry we have such little creativity. Basically it is down to JBG and Watt every game.

There was zero width and Huddersfield found it easy to stick men behind the ball and squeeze the space in the middle. No wide players, pace or anyone with ability to beat a man does not make for exciting football.

Big Mak has scored one in 5(?) that was from a cross...we don't cross the ball though.

Disappointed.
  • Options
    edited September 2015
    Absolute dog poo, this was one big reality check. Unbalanced yet again on the left flank and no threat going forward that side whatsoever. Slow to get going and we gifted them the lead. Players way below their best throughout the team. We badly missed Diarra and we desperately need Henderson back. Midfield struggled and the front two never gelled.

Their second goal from a free kick was nothing less than they deserved and somehow we managed to get a foothold back in the game from a set piece late in the first half. We huffed and puffed second half but it was not to be, having championed his cause after Saturday's game I can't defend TW's greediness tonight he should have been subbed but then again so could the vast majority of the team.

Oh joy it's Blackburn up next yet another team in the bottom three, I am sure we can give them a leg up too or can GL get a reaction and bring back at least a point? This is Charlton of course stranger things have happened, COYRs you owe us for that crap you dished up tonight!
  • Options
    I'm sure that was Watt standing at the bar next time me at half time. Just topping up from lunch time. Beginning to realise why Celtic etc ditched him.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    Very poor performance, the back 4 looked shaky without Diarra, Sarr really struggled while Scannell gave Fox a mare.

Plodding midfield, no creativity, poor passing, Watt running into dead ends and giving the ball away all the time.

The thing is, the last substitution made it worse. For 10 minutes we had 2 players on the left (Fox and Berdych) but once McAleny came on he just cut inside and headed straight to the box. By the end we had NO width on the left at all, and a pile of bodies in the centre like an under 9s team. Lumping it forward to Sarr made even less sense than lumping it forward to Bikey last season!
  • Options
    Seriously starting to wonder about GL after that shambles. Sarr was awful. Ba was awful. JBG seems to be going backwards. TWWW ditto. We just didn't seem to have any shape in the middle of the Park. It's basic stuff to be able to build up the play through the middle and that was our weak spot. No penetration there at all. And Diarra didn't even play. Maybe all this talk of how good a team we were looking has gone to a few people's heads?

How we were looking before the international break seems a long way away now. Huddersfield were superior to us, full stop, and they deserved the win. And Luzon looked a clown on the sidelines.
  • Options
    edited September 2015
    These performances are not doing the club any favours to bring the attendances back up
    They will start dropping quicker than the tide in the thames
  • Options
    Highlight of the night was when the ball went behind the sofa, my dog would of been so proud if that, little git always drops it there.
  • Options
    Very disappointing. Fox was poor tonight - no one really stood out - Kashi was committed. Watt too greedy at times. Obviously Cousins has to play in the middle. Not many positives - although (once he'd settled) thought McAleny looked technically very good and reminded a bit of a young Scotty Parker in looks.
  • Options
    Croydon said:

Fox v Zaha/Bolasie....

Did alright against the likes of Phillips, Mackie, Austin, Aluko etc. Or do we just write our players off after a poor performance now?
  • Options
    Pope is a young keeper who will make mistakes but they shouldn't have had the chance to shoot in the first place. Booing him won't help

Diarra must have played too many minutes or is "League tied" this season because why else would Sarr play instead?

Mak was still carrying an injury as indicated by the knowing nod from GL when he came off. One thing he isn't in any event is a finisher under pressure.

Watt at some stage needs to learn to do the simple things. At one point he had a man on the overlap totally free and he still insisted on running into a brick wall. Stop him coming so deep and get him to receive the ball in the box where one fancy turn against a centre back with the turning circle of a London bus will do more damage than three turns straight into two midfielders in the centre circle.

I feel sorry for Fox because it is pretty obvious that he is now reaching the stage where he is going to be scared to do anything. But who is the viable alternative to Fox?

JBG was starved of service in the second half until he came inside in the last 10 minutes or so. But why don't we ever switch wingers and get JBG to test their right back?

Finally, I thought the one positive was the lad from Everton. He is clearly capable of playing at tempo and whilst not everything worked out for him he will make things happen. He is also just the sort of player who will make those third man runs into the box that we so lack at present.
  • Options
    colin1961 said:

We never stopped trying we battled to the end but it just did not work tonight ...
    That's all , Huddresfiekd stopped us building from the back closed down Pope and man marked Kashi who had no time on the ball , Gudmunsson had two men on him most times ,
    Did not help that the ref fell for their fawning injury and falling down like they been shot mainly Miller who seemed to get every decision his way , had to feel for Beuer and Sarr who battled against him well , Sarr started shaky but looked a decent player , Fox was awful tonight

But young players will make mistakes and Fox did just that , the second again was never a free kick but it's the way it's going for us with ref

The injury to Watt and Big S have taken there toll , Big Simon was a threat tonight but limped off late on , Watt got to get head up because that's two poor games from him now ..and looking half the player before he got injured .

Not great but not end of the world by a long way we have lot of players leaning about the English game and tonight was a harsh lesson when the other team don't want to play

@colin1961 I read a lot of your comments both on here and ITTV as Bexleyboy, and never make any comment/remark about them. However tonight I have to disagree with your rose coloured opinion. We were poor on Saturday and nicked a point, tonight if Miller has his heading game on song we would have been done 4-1, 5-1. The last two games the squad has been poor, the set-up has not been good and we are now seeing the cracks. I still do not understand the following from tonight-:
    1. Why play Cousins on the left, he is so much better in central mid?
    2. Why drop Diarra, was he injured, if so he shouldn't have been on the bench?
    3. We loan a player from a prem club who can play left wing, he is match fit (been playing games pre and during the season) why not start him on the left?
    4. If, as you say injuries have taken there toll to Watt and Big Mack, why not bring in an out and out striker from the prem on loan?
    6.Huddersfield stopped us from building from the back....where was Plan 'B'?

Overall the last two performances were poor, there is no disguising that. GL and RD/KM need to sit and talk about this, otherwise the season could quickly turn into a shambles.
  • Options
    Two points dropped on saturday but a fair result. Tonight, well resting Diarra was a balls up by Luzon. Bauer & Sarr had a welcome to Championship league football by Miller for 70 mins (before he started blowing out of his backside) how to ruffle and disrupt a back four.No idea how to deal with him.

Makienok would be wise to watch the DVD of the game and watch Miller. You may give away a few free kicks but at least be a horrible bugger to play against and get other people into the game.

Ba, well no point I'm afraid when Cousins can do a far better job in the centre of midfield. Did Luzon not advise Ms Meire and M.Roly of some width on the left?

3 points dropped over the last two games imo. Squad is not big enough in certain areas. No different to what Peeters had last season.
  • Options
    colin1961 said:

These performances are not doing the club any favours to bring the attendances back up
    They will start dropping quicker than the tide in the thames

Why ....one average performance and its all do and gloom
    Average? Blimey, hope I am not there when it's crap then!!!!!
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    colin1961 said:

Awful tactics, why drop Diarra. Pope dreadful as was Fox, no pace up front and little movement until Igor came on, Watt is so greedy and predictable.

Cousins clearly out of position for most of the game. Take off our 6ft 7 centre forward then start to bang it long.

Has Luzon got a clue, I am beginning to wonder.

Oh and the ref was a joke.

Other than that it was alright!

Diarra was injured
    You never put an injured player on the bench, Erol
  • Options
    I too had the sinking feeling. Two games in a row we had little or no penetration. We have no attacking central midfielder,no natural left winger. On the right JBG turns in when he has the ball,rather than taking on his man on the outside.. After 20 m of both games we looked as if we had run out of ideas, and despite some effort in both second halves it feels that this team is going to struggle.
    It looks as if maybe you cannot put a time of unknown foreign players into the Championship and make it work after all.
  • Options
    Similar to Saturday in that we playeat sideways passes too little effect. Huddersfield were well organised and deserves the 3 points.

In the final third we had zero movement. No link up play between Watt and Mak. It was too easy to play against. Watt also need a to learn to pass. Sarr was bullied all game, dont think he won a header apart from his goal, Bauer had to save him multiple times.

We can play neat little passes all game but we need learn how to break down teams
  • Options
    colin1961 said:

We never stopped trying we battled to the end but it just did not work tonight ...
    That's all , Huddresfiekd stopped us building from the back closed down Pope and man marked Kashi who had no time on the ball , Gudmunsson had two men on him most times ,
    Did not help that the ref fell for their fawning injury and falling down like they been shot mainly Miller who seemed to get every decision his way , had to feel for Beuer and Sarr who battled against him well , Sarr started shaky but looked a decent player , Fox was awful tonight

But young players will make mistakes and Fox did just that , the second again was never a free kick but it's the way it's going for us with ref

The injury to Watt and Big S have taken there toll , Big Simon was a threat tonight but limped off late on , Watt got to get head up because that's two poor games from him now ..and looking half the player before he got injured .

Not great but not end of the world by a long way we have lot of players leaning about the English game and tonight was a harsh lesson when the other team don't want to play

I must have missed the bit where we started trying because I didn't see it.

I saw a team which was clueless in defence at times, particularly in the first half when they were pressing us. Couldn't cope with Miller and their play down the wings. Yes, Miller was very good at falling over, but Sarr should have learnt and not given him the opportunity.

Almost anonymous in midfield. We gave away the middle ground far too easily and didn't press them enough when they had the ball. When we had the ball we didn't know how to break them down or get behind them.

Really poor up front and I was surprised that we managed to score. Didn't look like we had a goal in us, especially with the disinterested Watt playing as he did.

The reality was that Huddersfield pressed us well for first half hour and then didn't need to do much else because we had no idea how to break down their defence. I thought that they deserved the win as they got their tactics right and we didn't.
  • Options

First game so can't comment on previous performances but that was woeful. Miller dominated our 2 very sizeable centre halves and Huddersfield had 2 wingers that attacked as wingers should. Watt has to realise it's a team game and his selfish style will soon grate on fans if there is no end product. Pope should have done better for both goals as he was far too far over to the left for the 2nd. Too early to be too concerned but a few more performances like that will get me a bit edgy. Liked Kashi a lot despite his last minute hoof!

Tbf we have been the other games till tonight.