Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Charlton v Huddersfield - Post Match Thread

1234568»

Comments

• Options
    Second was pope fault he set the wall 2 small men on the right and he was far to slow down to the shot. Need a keeper left back left mid asap
  • Options
    only read half the posts & as I'm now posting almost 24 hours after the event I don't expect many will read this........

1) Miller showed how a "tall & big" player should play - how come we never buy this type of player. In the recent past we've had Leon Clarke, Simon Church , Marcus Bent, etc etc - none of whom ever troubled defenders . We now have a 6ft 5 striker who cant head a ball or run with it at his feet. useless.

2) JC still playing wide left. All the while he plays there we wont get anywhere. He simply cant take anyone on so the ball goes back inside & so we never attack down the left. We all know this but GL still insists on playing him there. Coaching badges are worthless if you cant see this.

3) No need to play Kashi & Ba together at home, esp if Cpusins is wide left. No creativity & too defensive.

4) Perhaps swap JBG over to the left so he can get down to the byeline & put crosses in. Playing on the right he likes to cut in on his left, so why not try him there

5) I have no problems with TWWW trying to take on players - someone has to. Perhaps play him in midfield or just behind the main striker ( notice I didn't say SM - don't think he is good enough as per above -- need a good ole fashioned English striker up there)

next few games will shape our season - 2 or 3 wins will push us into the top 10 again & once again think about the Promised Land - 2 or 3 defeats will mean another season of struggle & trying to avoid the big R and a trip to the tool box next year.

does GL come on here............the future is down to him.
  • Options
    edited September 2015
    For once Golfie I have to agree with you on most of this except Big Mak where the jury is still out for me because I haven't seen enough of him yet.
  • Options

only read half the posts & as I'm now posting almost 24 hours after the event I don't expect many will read this........

1) Miller showed how a "tall & big" player should play - how come we never buy this type of player. In the recent past we've had Leon Clarke, Simon Church , Marcus Bent, etc etc - none of whom ever troubled defenders . We now have a 6ft 5 striker who cant head a ball or run with it at his feet. useless.

2) JC still playing wide left. All the while he plays there we wont get anywhere. He simply cant take anyone on so the ball goes back inside & so we never attack down the left. We all know this but GL still insists on playing him there. Coaching badges are worthless if you cant see this.

3) No need to play Kashi & Ba together at home, esp if Cpusins is wide left. No creativity & too defensive.

4) Perhaps swap JBG over to the left so he can get down to the byeline & put crosses in. Playing on the right he likes to cut in on his left, so why not try him there

5) I have no problems with TWWW trying to take on players - someone has to. Perhaps play him in midfield or just behind the main striker ( notice I didn't say SM - don't think he is good enough as per above -- need a good ole fashioned English striker up there)

next few games will shape our season - 2 or 3 wins will push us into the top 10 again & once again think about the Promised Land - 2 or 3 defeats will mean another season of struggle & trying to avoid the big R and a trip to the tool box next year.

does GL come on here............the future is down to him.

Well there was a certain Frenchman. Deon Burton was pretty good in that sort of role as well, Chris Iwelemu also did a job.
  • Options
    Always thought Andy Hunt was a great target man sort of player - he wasn't always universally popular as he wasn't a prolific scorer but he had so much ability. Perhaps he can make another comeback if he's tiring of life in Belize - he's only about 45 I guess.
  • Options

Oakster said:

Always thought Andy Hunt was a great target man sort of player - he wasn't always universally popular as he wasn't a prolific scorer but he had so much ability. Perhaps he can make another comeback if he's tiring of life in Belize - he's only about 45 I guess.

not a prolific striker..............he won the golden boot in the 1999/2000 with about 23 goals - more than any of our current strikers will achieve IN THEIR CAFC careers !!
    Unfortunately you are not too far wrong there.
  • Options

..... we need to play with much more intensity, hunting in packs to disrupt the opposition midfield, and play the ball quicker when we have it.

Which is the way we played in the first 4 games of the season...

• Options

Oakster said:

not a prolific striker..............he won the golden boot in the 1999/2000 with about 23 goals - more than any of our current strikers will achieve IN THEIR CAFC careers !!
    I was his No 1 fan - there was a lot of criticism in his first season if I recall for his lack of goals.....
  • Options
    Time to re - evaluate. Didn't look the same team as against Hull and QPR. Need to up the tempo of the passing game, possession itself will not win us games. Creative midfielder needed, on last night's evidence the Everton lad is not the answer.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    cazo said:

Second was pope fault he set the wall 2 small men on the right and he was far to slow down to the shot. Need a keeper left back left mid asap

Is it the keeper's responsible to says who goes in the wall?
    Its his to position the wall and I have to it was poor as the ball must have been 3ft inside the post.
  • Options
    Yes it is
  • Options

Oakster said:

And he had a name like a woman's f...

It was a real shame that he and super Clive had to retire early, we've not had much luck with strikers!
  • Options

On watching the highlights on Sky I dont think Pope was at fault with either goal. On the first it was a fiercely struck shot that beat him for pace and on the second it looked like the defensive wall split. Having said that it was a dismal performance, we need to play with much more intensity, hunting in packs to disrupt the opposition midfield, and play the ball quicker when we have it.

Mate he scooped the ball up into the bloody net for the first goal!
  • Options
    Bunn's shot bounced. It was hit into the ground. This may not have helped Nick Pope, but it certainly doesn't support the argument that he was beaten for pace.
  • Options
    Finally saw the highlights from Tuesday Night. I normally an very forgiving of Nick Pope, but that first goal was so horrific that I sat there with my mouth open for 30 seconds not believing what I'd seen. Yes the shot hit the ground before heading towards him, but IMO the shot didn't even have much power on it. Sorry Nick, but that was a fucking shocker
  • Options

Quite shocking to think that Miller was made to look like a total donkey by a 17 year old Joe Gomez last season

And by every other centre half that we've put out against him. We need to strengthen at CB, in goal, wide left and left back
  • Options
    The shot wasnt a thunderbolt but had some pace on it. If any of us had let it in, and we propably would, we would be disapointed. A professional goalkeeper has to be criticised unfortunately. Pope has parts of his game that are very strong. His reactions look ok as the save against rotherham showed. I think the keeping coach has to earn his money here as if he improves this side of his game and his kicking by about 10 per cent he could become a top keeper. If not, well you cant have a keeper who displays this weakness on a regular basis.
  • Options
    That was absolute garbage, not one player came out of that with any credit.

I cant understand why everyones getting on Makienoks back, hes only played half a dozen games ffs and if it wasnt for him we wouldnt have many points. (think about it)

Further to that when he went off the other night our chances of equalising went with it. I agree he missed an easy chance but then so did others. I am not a massive fan of his before anyone asks just give him a chance.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    I can't understand why we bring everyone back when defending a corner. All it does is crowd the area, and prevents us from a fast counter attack.
  • Options
    Why have the QPR and Hull matches been erased ?

I know the short time memory goes first, but this is getting embarrassing.

We were so erratic on Saturday, and no one had a good game.
    Yet we still had 3 gilt edged chances late on with
    Bergdich,Big Mak and Mcaleny to win if not at least a draw.

If your poor in both boxes, and Average in mid field, in a match,
    Your in trouble. since the 55 minutes at Wolves when we didn't know whether to twist or stick when we went 1-0 up. and without Big Mak at Wolves, couldn't defend the corners, we have lost our way. Injuries to players aren't helping but that happens to every team.
    As we didn't get James Henry who can play on both wings, we still need the width at home to break teams down, as the likes of Rotherham and Huddersfield will at vital times in the game sit back and stiffle.

We seem to have a team of George Tucadean's at present who can go from the
    sublime (QPR and Hull) to the ridiculous(Rotherham and Udders)

On To Blackburn.

• Options

The shot wasnt a thunderbolt but had some pace on it. If any of us had let it in, and we propably would, we would be disapointed. A professional goalkeeper has to be criticised unfortunately. Pope has parts of his game that are very strong. His reactions look ok as the save against rotherham showed. I think the keeping coach has to earn his money here as if he improves this side of his game and his kicking by about 10 per cent he could become a top keeper. If not, well you cant have a keeper who displays this weakness on a regular basis.

Speaking of the goalkeeping coach, he needs to get some shooting practice in. About half of his shots during Popes warm up were flying over the bar and into the north lower. Pope's obviously not getting enough practice actually making saves.
  • Options

When you think back to the ponderous deliberations under Peeters, and the paralysis under Powell himself, we are far brighter than a year or two ago.

I was hugely impressed by 'Uddersfield for the entire 90 minutes:

Paralysis is a bitch eh? ;-)
  • Options
    My missus does all the holiday booking here at Daggs' Towers. The soppy mare booked us a week in September in Corfu, meaning I had to miss two home games..........
    Actually, she wasn't quite as soppy as i thought.........................................result!
  • Options

wmcf123 said:

Quite shocking to think that Miller was made to look like a total donkey by a 17 year old Joe Gomez last season

And by every other centre half that we've put out against him. We need to strengthen at CB, in goal, wide left and left back
    I don't think that's all true, I think the players just had poor games. Bauer has been one of our best players this season, Diarra has been immense, this was Sarr's first Championship game so he will take a little time to adapt but he wasn't a total disaster, Pope is a worthy back up when Henderson returns and Fox has been excellent right up until the Hudds match. He even got the goal that put he QPR game beyond doubt. Let's not confuse a bad day at the office with the need to overhaul the squad
    That's the positive slant and I accept it as a viewpoint. Bauer and Diarra have been excellent ; I disagree about Fox but clearly I am not seeing what others are. I would be concerned if we had an injury to either Bauer or Diarra and I think Sarr's debut was awful, although he deserves time before anyone judges him too harshly
  • Options
    dogbother said:
    Interesting that many feel the dangerous looking attack was something Powell may have felt pressured into playing? The thing about a player like Miller, is that he clearly doesn't play like that every game or else he wouldn't have had the nomadic career he has had. We caught him on a good night