Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Charlton v Huddersfield - Post Match Thread

Comments

• Options

Greenie said:

TWWW - Park footballer last night, after several attempts to beat every 'Udders player around him I found myself yelling 'pass the fucking ball you fucking prick' but he still didn't.

So its all your fault then @Greenie

If you had given it a bit of "Mr Watt, if you would be so kind as to lift your head to appreciate the positional opportunities of your fellow teammates" he may well have passed the f***ing ball and everything would have been ok.

Ha, yes indeed and apologies for the language............!
  • Options
    so i wonder who our next manager will be ?
  • Options
    Have waited to calm down before posting but that was a shocking performance, so many misplaced passes, 4 individual errors to allow the first goal, players playing out of position and so many scuffed/half hit shots.

That was not good, Miller had a good game but we were petrified of him and could just not cope with his presence.

Very despondent today....
  • Options
    I can understand why Luzon dropped Diarra to the bench.
    He has two games coming up away from home where we can expect a full onslaught from the opposition strikers.
    Therefore It makes sense to firstly, rest Diarra for these two upcoming games and secondly to give Sarr a chance to prove his worth without throwing in him at the deep end Aka Blackburn or palice away.

Unfortunately this trust in Sarr backfired massively.

• Options
    Jarman said:

I can understand why Luzon dropped Diarra to the bench.
    He has two games coming up away from home where we can expect a full onslaught from the opposition strikers.
    Therefore It makes sense to firstly, rest Diarra for these two upcoming games and secondly to give Sarr a chance to prove his worth without throwing in him at the deep end Aka Blackburn or palice away.

Unfortunately this trust in Sarr backfired massively.

But Miller didn't score
    The problem was attacking or lack of creative attacking
  • Options
    Unfair on Sarr replacing a Player who was MOM in the game before,
    and being judged on that basis when the whole team struggled.

Both Sarr and Bauer went 15 rounds with the big units of Udders.
    they both just lost on points.
  • Options
    This was the most frustrated I've been at a match for a while, mainly because of our great start. Pulling my hair out asking how we could look so good versus QPR, Hull and Forest away yet so lackluster vs the bottom two sides.

Only explanation is that we haven't figured out a way to beat a side that comes for a point, sets up with two banks of four and aims to stop us scoring, I guess sides are showing us respect in that view.

Not the end of the world by no means there's a good side when we are on song, just have to approach the Rotherham/Huddersfield/Bolton/Bristol City type home games a bit differently next time.
  • Options
    The whole thing looked disjointed last night, like 11 strangers. Agree with Tutt-Tutt that the gap between midfield and the strikers was way too big, the main tactic seemed to be endless square balls followed by Kashi or Ba trying to split a defence (not their strength) that was ready and waiting for us.

The other end was shambolic, Bauer was the least bad I suppose. I haven't seen the first goal on TV yet, but from behind the goal Pope seemed to have everything behind it but it then shot up into the top corner. In truth, they could have scored a few more.

Ultimately, the squad is wafer thin and we have to just get on with it, however, starting Cousins on the left just bewilders me.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    I couldn't believe we took Big Mak off , when we needed a goal , not that he looked like he could score in a month of Sunday's but as the players left the field to go back to the dressing room he really looked to be in a bit of trouble hobbling back to the changing room
    And I wouldn't be surprised if he's not involved this weekend

• Options
    Jints said:

Neither Kashi or Ba were willing to run into space with the ball and so could not carve out forward passing options and we end up going backwards all the time.

I think Ba would struggle to run into space without the ball.
  • Options
    we started playing well under Luzon last season once Henderson was back. The confidence a good goalkeeper gives the team is invaluable. Not saying everything is popes fault but can't be helping. At the moment we seem to be a team without pace and when teams line up players to defend against us it's harder to break down. They had pace on both wings last night and were constant danger. Need to sort left mid problem. Would like to see us mix it up with left and right mid interchanging as jbg (who I love) can be a bit predictable sometimes. Sorry but fox isn't up to it. His passing is poor, no pace. We are close to being really good as we've shown in last 7 months, just a few tweaks.
    Not sure if mentioned but before game in shooting practice the boys don't miss!!
    What happens during the game is a completely different matter. If we'd put our chances away this season we'd be 2nd. But tonight probably deserved to lose.
  • Options
    edited September 2015
    Greenie said:

Not gonna rant (too much)

Pope, not an error the ball was slammed at him, will watch it agin, if Im wrong Ill amend.

This is the most ridiculous thing ever posted on CL !

I know you've been having a dig, of late, at anyone who has criticized Pope's ability. However, you lose all credibility, if you can't admit the plain truth.

Obviously the ball was slammed at him. That's why he's there. He's meant to stop it.
  • Options
    Since the spray can have been used, more goals are being scored direct from free kicks.( Pope seem to line the wall up wrong last night.)
    Is it not time for teams to have defenders on the line ?
    I know you would have forwards as well but last night goal
    wouldn't have been scored as you could have your tallest players on both posts whether the balls in the air or on the ground.
    i accept there will be some pin ball moments but overall less goals will be scored.

Sorry Johann you may score less goals but when i was a manager, at youth level we always conceded less goals from having defenders on the line as opposed to hoping the wall stayed Firm.

• Options
    Can't add much to what has already been said we have plenty of possession with no return the final ball was hopeless. For the time being Ba shouldn't be anywhere near the team his performance was hapless, Watt had a mare losing the ball countless times and no passing when he could I hope this is an aberration as I have sung his praises on this site enough.

Popes flap for the first goal was worthy of Hamer and he doesn't instil any confidence, Miller bossed Sarr so badly I wouldn't have been surprised if he was given detention for bullying, sorry I still not convinced by Fox when he is up against a proper winger he looks lost and please someone keep him back after training and get him to practice crossing the ball. Solly was also suspect, he gave it his all but was undone a couple of times and it's clear that at this level he sometimes struggles.

All in all depressing I thought on Saturday that we would play worse and win so wrong about that we played worse and lost. 1 point from the bottom two teams at home is shit, strangely normal as well. Not panic stations yet that would be stupid but we need more penetration so Cousins in the middle, Diarra back in defence and Ba can drive the bus.
  • Options
    The last 2 games we've lost our tempo. You beat lower league teams by pressuring them, and they'll make mistakes. We didn't do that.

I think kashi sat to deep, there was a glaring hole between midfield and the forwards. Both watt and big Mak didn't chase enough.

When we had the ball inside there half we were devoid of movement, we would have 4 players standing along the length of the 18 yard box, man marked tightly, no movement or inventive play.

Hitting the byline and whipping balls in are not in the players instructions it seems. Watched fox for a bit, he can't beat his man, the lad looked short on confidence.

Pope should of saved the first one, the second goal, why put a bloke who's 5"8 (ish) on the end of the wall?

I loved the Hull game, the last 2, meh.
  • Options
    As usual most of the comments are spot on. The main reason, why we got off to a good start and are now struggling, is because the squad isn't strong enough. Exactly the same as last season.

Yes we have a dozen good players and if by some miracle, they could all go the whole season, without getting injured or suspended, then we could challenge for the play offs.

However, back in the real world, that is never going to happen.

Henderson - injured
    Kashi
    Jackson - has been injured but is he still good enough ?
    Bauer
    Sarr - good enough ?
    Gudmundsson
    Cousins
    Makienok - carrying an injury
    Ceballos - injured
    Diarra -rested/carrying a slight injury
    Vetokele - not fit from a 12 month injury
    Reza- injured
    THD - not ready for 1st team
    KAG - not quite ready for 1st team
    Bergditch
    Solly
    Fox - carrying some heavy knocks last night apparently
    Ba - is he good enough ?
    Charles-Cook - not quite ready for 1st team
    Lennon - not quite ready for 1st team
    Mitov - not ready for 1st team
    Pope - make your own mind up
    Watt
    Moussa - not recovered from 12 month injury
    McAliny

So by my reckoning, last night we had 9 fit players, who are good enough and that includes Pope, which is debateable. Ok some will say we have more, which is debateable.

However, what is not debateable, is that the squad is not strong enough, as it stands, to challenge for the play offs and could struggle once again.
  • Options

Can't add much to what has already been said we have plenty of possession with no return the final ball was hopeless. For the time being Ba shouldn't be anywhere near the team his performance was hapless, Watt had a mare losing the ball countless times and no passing when he could I hope this is an aberration as I have sung his praises on this site enough.

Popes flap for the first goal was worthy of Hamer and he doesn't instil any confidence, Miller bossed Sarr so badly I wouldn't have been surprised if he was given detention for bullying, sorry I still not convinced by Fox when he is up against a proper winger he looks lost and please someone keep him back after training and get him to practice crossing the ball. Solly was also suspect, he gave it his all but was undone a couple of times and it's clear that at this level he sometimes struggles.

All in all depressing I thought on Saturday that we would play worse and win so wrong about that we played worse and lost. 1 point from the bottom two teams at home is shit, strangely normal as well. Not panic stations yet that would be stupid but we need more penetration so Cousins in the middle, Diarra back in defence and Ba can drive the bus.

This.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    Thought I'd sleep on it before posting but still as pissed off today after that performance last night. Can't add much more to what's already been said but a couple of points I found abit worrying.

I normally sit north upper but for a change we sat north lower and close to the action row D. I couldn't believe how shockingly quiet we were on the pitch with a lack of communication and leadership throughout. We needed someone get a grip of the game and felt we really lacked a leader out there.

Miller bullied us all game and felt we got torn to shreds down both wings with Powell getting his tactics spot on. With Cousins and JBG tucking in we were getting so exposed at fullbacks we made it too easy for them. They showed how to play with two quick wingers and a big man upfront.

Ba, kashi and Cousins doesn't work against teams that will sit with men behind the ball. We had nobody making forward runs until Cousins got moved in the centre but alot of the damage had been done by then. Ba should of gone off at ht and couldn't believe Luzon kept him on for the second half as he was having a shocker.

We missed Diarra at CB and if Sarr is our backup for the season it makes me abit worried as always felt he looked nervous and prone to a mistake. Im hoping he will improve with games and won't write him off yet though as atleast he tried to play it on the deck and not hoof it.

Big Mak was feeling his hamstring so not surprised he was taken off and not sure we will see him at Blackburn. Igor anonymous and looked slightly overweight or are my eyes deceiving me?

Huddersfield got what they deserved and so did we. I think we were lucky it was only 2-1 as they could easily have been 3 or 4-1 up at halftime.

I did wonder how we would react to going behind in a game before saturday as so far this season we had taken the lead in every match except the 0-0 at Forest. It wasn't convincing and we lacked any ideas how to break a team down. We became so predictable last night and need to learn how to change things when it's not working.

1 win in 6 now let's hope we can put a performance in on Saturday and not ruin our good early start.
  • Options
    They had Miller and two good wingers who gave our back four a torrid time. Always thought Scannell wasted at the Terriers probably just wanted to get as far from Se****st as possible. Fox had a poorer game and does lose confidence too quickly but I don't write him off. He needs to improve both aspects of a fullback's game but he has a good attacking side in there somewhere. Their defence had us under wraps when we put on the pressure, didn't let us round the back - JBG needs to head for the goal line more - and we had no movement whatsoever up front with Watt the worst offender. At least Vetokele runs the lines like a proper striker and got himself in a couple of good positions but the quick ball never came.
  • Options

Greenie said:

Not gonna rant (too much)

Pope, not an error the ball was slammed at him, will watch it agin, if Im wrong Ill amend.

This is the most ridiculous thing ever posted on CL !

I know you've been having a dig, of late, at anyone who has criticized Pope's ability. However, you lose all credibility, if you can't admit the plain truth.

Obviously the ball was slammed at him. That's why he's there. He's meant to stop it.
    You appear very angry at me.
    Re read it again CE, go on, ill let you know again what I said. This bit 'will watch it again, if Im wrong Ill amend"

Not watched it back yet. Also I have posted far more ridiculous things than that..... ;o)
  • Options
    Miller gave out centre backs especially Sarr a tough time. Without the right type of player in front of him Fox's weaknesses were clear to see. He can't/won't run with the ball, nevermind take anyone on. He'll be fine if we can find the right player to play at left midfield. He needs movement around him and the player in front needs to be comfortable carrying the ball.

Problem with left midfield is it's not clear if we have that player in the squad. Bergdich has pace and will take players on, but doesn't look an attacking threat in the same way say Bulot, JBG or Huddersfield's wingers did. I've not seen enough of Ceballos to judge. McAleny look like he could be useful but wanted to cut inside onto his right foot. With Cousins that's a problem, but maybe McAleny will be more comfortable given he looks more natural running with the ball.

Our midfield reminded me of the England San Marino game the other day. In Shelvey England had a player capable of picking out passes through the crowded centre of the pitch. Kashi, Ba and Cousins rarely show that. I don't expect a player of Shelvey's quality, and with our budget we're not going to have a perfect squad, but that weakness was obvious against a team defending deep and numbers.

The other concern with Kashi, Ba and Cousins is the lack of goals. They've been getting in goalscoring positions but I don't expect them to score. It won't be so much of a problem if other players are getting the goals, but at the moment JBG (who admittedly has already scored twice this season) is having a lot of shots without many being too threatening. Makienok surely needs more and better crosses coming in. Watt as has been said is trying to do too much (and when he was choosing to pass he quite often gave it away). I don't have any confidence in Vetokele at the moment either.

On the subs I'd have kept Makienok on but it seems he had an injury. That's another concern, if he's unavailable we're relying on Watt being that hold up player, and the way he's playing at the moment we're not going to see that from him.

Thought before these last two home games they would give us a better idea of the sort of season we would have. As with Saturday last night showed how important it is for us to score the first goal. We don't seem to have the creativity to break down defensive teams - but that's probably true of a lot of teams at this level. As things are I can't see us having enough to make the play-offs, but while these last two performances have been poor we should be safe in mid table.
  • Options
    This is forcing me to re-appraise my expectations for our season. I still think we have good players, but they will have to learn how to break workmanlike teams down who play a system to stop you. Both Rotherham and Huddersfield were well organised but we played too much in front of them – didn’t mix it up enough - committed defensive suicide . Thought taking Makienock was an big error too in the context of the game.
  • Options

As usual most of the comments are spot on. The main reason, why we got off to a good start and are now struggling, is because the squad isn't strong enough. Exactly the same as last season.

I guess to some extent, we were a surprise package as well - would have been difficult for the early opponents to do their homework on us with so many new players from outside the UK as well - I would imagine we are being well & truly scrutinized now by every opponent. I recall from Curbs' book the level of research that goes into each game - i.e. they had Dagenham watched 4 times before the FA Cup games (fat lot of good that did!) - Luzon may well need to be coming up with Plan B. Does he have the tactical nous & understanding to do this - is there anything deeper beyond the posturing & "passion"?
  • Options
    Oakster said:

I guess to some extent, we were a surprise package as well - would have been difficult for the early opponents to do their homework on us with so many new players from outside the UK as well - I would imagine we are being well & truly scrutinized now by every opponent. I recall from Curbs' book the level of research that goes into each game - i.e. they had Dagenham watched 4 times before the FA Cup games (fat lot of good that did!) - Luzon may well need to be coming up with Plan B. Does he have the tactical nous & understanding to do this - is there anything deeper beyond the posturing & "passion"?
    Hope so @Oakster but this is the $64,000 question! Canadian of course :wink:
  • Options

This is forcing me to re-appraise my expectations for our season. I still think we have good players, but they will have to learn how to break workmanlike teams down who play a system to stop you. Both Rotherham and Huddersfield were well organised but we played too much in front of them – didn’t mix it up enough - committed defensive suicide . Thought taking Makienock was an big error too in the context of the game.

Which is not easily doable when from the off Huddersfield had us tactically, how do we counteract them absolutely out playing us on the wings when our best players have to cut in to be at their best on the wings, JC & Johann.

In short, IMO, our lack of squad depth doesn't allow for adaptability in our formation or tactics or target men, we're readable from the off in every pre match. Chris Powell, who isn't rated as a manager by so many on here, scouted us, and outdone us.. cancel our threats and that gives them the upper hand instantly.

Luzon has a big love in with playing Kashi, Ba AND Cousins, but essentially none of these are goalscoring midfielders, you have to score goals from midfield. We'll be very lucky to get 10 between these over the course of the league season, now that leaves it to Johann, our strikers and defence to net.. flawed.
    I do agree that any successful team needs goals from midfield as you can’t rely on the strikers every game. I'd have Ba on the bench. We did create chances yesterday despite the poor performance. I though BA should have done better with his just after half time. Makienok should have done better too and we don’t seem that good at keeping the ball down. It was all a bit too slow and deliberate in front of a well drilled defence too – often options to get it wide were not taken when they should have been. Oh well!
  • Options
    On watching the highlights on Sky I dont think Pope was at fault with either goal. On the first it was a fiercely struck shot that beat him for pace and on the second it looked like the defensive wall split. Having said that it was a dismal performance, we need to play with much more intensity, hunting in packs to disrupt the opposition midfield, and play the ball quicker when we have it.