Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Charlton v Huddersfield - Post Match Thread

Comments

• Options
    edited September 2015
    Was I alone in thinking Sarr was absolutely horrendous ? He deserves time but he did nothing right defensively. Yes, tidy enough on the ball, but he looked ponderously slow and was completely bullied by Miller. i don't know why Diarra couldn't play last night and miss Palace
  • Options
    Not a lot of credit given to a well organised and at times slick Hudders side
    Yet when we win or get a decent draw we bemoan the fact that oppo fans slate their own team and don't give us credit , although we are shit and so the oppo are prolly right it was more down to them being pony than us being good
  • Options
    wmcf123 said:

Was I alone in thinking Sarr was absolutely horrendous ? He deserves time but he did nothing right defensively. Yes, tidy enough on the ball, but he looked ponderously slow and was completely bullied by Miller. i don't know why Diarra couldn't play last night and miss Palace

No, I did too. When I saw him in the PSF against Chelmsford when he was bossed by the mighty City strikers I feared the worst. Last night confirmed it. He was dire except, strangely, for a 20 minute spell at the end of the match. Like watching Bambi On Ice. I'm guessing Diarra old git that he is was rested rather than dropped.
  • Options
    It appears to me that we can cope with teams that attack us at the valley.

Last night, and against Rotherham it looked to me like we had no ideas going forward against teams looking to park the bus.

The ref didn't help on Saturday but last night we were way to narrow!
  • Options
    Shocking performance, mistakes all over the park.

Keeper had a shocker as did Fox and Sarr, Solly had a poor game by his standards.

Love Kashi, but we need someone creative alongside him.

Would have taken Watt off as he was trying to do too much and it wasn't working, however in Luzons defence big Mak was feeling his hamstring a few minutes before e was subbed and that can be the only reason

Onwards and upwards but on the season so far we will end up a (fairly) solid mid table side
  • Options

It appears to me that we can cope with teams that attack us at the valley.

Last night, and against Rotherham it looked to me like we had no ideas going forward against teams looking to park the bus.

The ref didn't help on Saturday but last night we were way to narrow!

In fairness, Huddersfield attacked us constantly for the whole first half and deserved to be two up. What they did, which we aren't giving them enough credit for, is keep us at arms length for the whole second half.
  • Options
    First of all credit to Huddersfield. They look sharp throughout and were well prepared. Tactically spot on and scored their goals when they were well on top. Looked far from a relegation team. But, it takes two to tango.......

I struggle to remember the last time we had 7 or 8 players throw in a stinker at the same time. Hopefully it's not the sign of a deeper problem at SL.

I've given up with Pope now. If he cannot make simple saves without the ball going away from him, he'll never make it. He's had long enough.

The full backs seemed to be beaten at will and we saw how much Diarra was missed both as a player and leader.

In midfield we struggled to make the right choices and seemed determined to slow the game down at every opportunity. Up front we were woeful. Makienok doesn't seem fit and Tony Watt needs to use his brain when things aren't going well, leave the sulky bête noir in your riverside flat.

All in all a disappointing couple of games but that happens, even in our best seasons it happens. What matters is how we come back in our next couple of league games (don't care if Palace stuff us) - over to you Mr Luzon.
  • Options
    Still pissed off how we made Ishmael Miller look like Benteke.
  • Options

Still pissed off how we made Ishmael Miller look like Benteke.

Glad im not the only who thought that.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    edited September 2015
    Very dissapointing last night.

I don't agree that we were outplayed. But we didn't do nearly enough with the ball. Side to side to side to side. Huddersfield set up two banks of 4 and we couldn't break them.

Miller was best player on the pitch.

I won't get into individual Charlton performances because there is hardly a positive to say.

Really need to just move on to the next game and forget about that one.

Only positive was that I enjoyed crossbars and was surprised how empty it was. Made getting a couple pints easy. Terrible IPA though.

• Options
    It was pretty awful. As others have said Pope, Saar, Fox, Ba, Watt and Mak all had stinkers. We really have to play Cousins in the centre. Neither Kashi or Ba were willing to run into space with the ball and so could not carve out forward passing options and we end up going backwards all the time.
  • Options
    Only highlight for me, having a right laugh with the udders lads on the train home, for the game I'll use my favourite word,,,,,, DISMALL.
  • Options
    Could not make this one, and seems by reading your comments that the funeral I attended yesterday was only slightly less miserable than our performance. Marks are truly abysmal too! Hope this is not the start of a repeat of what happened last season.
  • Options
    Quite shocking to think that Miller was made to look like a total donkey by a 17 year old Joe Gomez last season
  • Options
    Tony Watt.

• Options
    edited September 2015
  • Options

Well that (and Saturday) brought us back to reality with a thump and although it's far too early to get worried, we are looking much more like a bottom half of the table team than a top half one.

Some random thoughts (apologies I know must of them already said):-

1) Let's give a bit of credit to Huddersfield. Their forwards -Scannell and Miller in particular - were outstanding and they caused our defence all sorts of problems. How on earth had they only scored 3 goals all season before last night.

2) Bob Peeters wasted half a season playing Cousins out wide left. Don't say GL is going to do exactly the same? If he does, he might go the same way as Peeters a lot quicker than he thinks. Playing Cousins wide simply doesn't work - particularly at home - as there is no width down that side. Time for GL to perm 2 from 3 of Cousins, Kashi, and Ba and play them in central midfield.

3) We still desperately need a wide left midfield player. Young McAleny looked useful but doesn't look to me a natural wide left player.

4) I'm a great Nick Pope fan but even I am beginning to think he really does need to start stopping shots hit straight at him. There's huge potential there but he can't keep making mistakes.

5) Tony Watt frustrated the hell out of me last night. Trying to beat 5 players every time he got the ball was crazy. More worrying, as Fanny Fanackapan mentioned above, was the way him and JBG were arguing as the game went on and I'm glad I'm not the only one that noticed that the pair seemed to stop passing to each other. So much potential here but this has the makings of something that could go so very wrong.

6) And I'm sorry to say this one - and I wait for Prague Addick to have another go at me - but Vetokele in his short spell at substitute was completely anonymous. Again. I know it's hard to come on late in the game and get quickly up to speed but he just didn't get involved. I don't know whether his problems are physical or mental but he shouldn't be anywhere near the first team at the moment until he can sort himself out.

Ha don't take it personally.

Vetokele is toilet at the moment and not earning his wages. Unarguable Conclusion. I've seen many a striker having a mare make a few aggressive challenges due to frustration.

What's the reason? Who knows but if you were to speculate it's either he was on form not representative of his normal ability (can happen, ask Darren Pitcher) or he played out of his skin for peeters and won't for Luzon

Simon Makienok is cack at this level (sorry Simon!) There I've said it. I can see why people think that's bullshit and it's just an opinion. He is easy to love but he will never be a footballer. Soft as shite IMO, and again that's not easy to see on the surface but look deeper and he is a nightmare. Great at flicking the ball behind him, but no idea who to. Worst understanding of how the game is played I've seen for a long time. Sure he can improve, I actually think is physique is unsuited to football, probably make a good second row forward, but only in the line out.

There are plenty of players who never seem to have a bad game on the surface but it's a facade.

I don't think that's offensive btw, to be constructive he should work on his leg muscles and in training practice hitting that far post with his run. Should be faking towards the near post, spin and hit the back post. He doesn't even attempt the dummy run, which I find perplexing.

• Options
    Oh and JBG and tww have to sort it out. What I saw and heard on saturday was unacceptable and it's obviously rolled into last night
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    edited September 2015
    . Sorry trying to post but it's not working on the iphone. Will try again from laptop.
  • Options
    Where to start. You would have had more fun at the dentist.
    We should get behind Pope until Hendo's fit; it does not suit our purposes to reduce him into a bag of nerves. Thats a selfish view and not necessarily a loyal one.
    We know from freekicks in good areas JBG will be there or thereabouts virtually always; therefore, why the hell let Kashi take it.
  • Options
    I do not think there's anything wrong with out team apart from playing Jordan on the wing... We need to recognise that we aren't coping when oppos play with eight players behind the ball, we are simply unable to play to our players' best when deep in a crowded oppo half. We need better tactics to cope with spoiling teams, it was a problem last year and affected self belief and we went into a spiral... It's down to the Guv to come up with a game plan to deal with these teams not having our players rushing up and making for even crowder playing space...

Hull and QPR play a Premiership type open play game that suits us but most teams will not play that way... It's tactics NOT the players' skills in doubt here I believe.
  • Options

Oh and JBG and tww have to sort it out. What I saw and heard on saturday was unacceptable and it's obviously rolled into last night

Yeah there were a few times last night when Gudmundsson was free on the right and was completely ignored by Watt.

Almost as though both are competing to be the best flair player within the club... If that is the case then lads, I dont care who is the best, how about both of you work your socks off and work with the team around you
  • Options
    Both Rotherham and Hud's doubled up on JBG and Watt, he needed to switch JBG over to the left flank to confuse things.

Playing without a left winger is not working, he needs to decide on his middle two. Cousins and Kash in the middle and get a left winger in!

Its typical Charlton, we play well against teams that attack us. When we meet the poor sides we slip up as they nick a goal and park the bus.

The world has not ended. We will play worse than that last night and win this season.

COYR's
  • Options

Yeah there were a few times last night when Gudmundsson was free on the right and was completely ignored by Watt.

Almost as though both are competing to be the best flair player within the club... If that is the case then lads, I dont care who is the best, how about both of you work your socks off and work with the team around you
    Wee barra that Tony. Bampot

• Options
    edited September 2015

Or go. Quality players but we can't afford that in our team if this is true
  • Options
    edited September 2015
    Sorry, attempting unsuccessfully for the tenth time to post what follows hence the empty post above. Gremlins in the works.

Waited till morning as too angry last night to post sensibly. Most of if has been said in the meantime by others. My main sentiments the morning after are:

1. That was even worse than Saturday. Lessons very clearly not learned which is worrying.

2. Can understand why Sarr was selected. He's our third choice CB and needs game time. Might as well be at home against a team who beforehand could reasonably be imagined to provide little attacking threat.

3. The last time I'm going to waste my time writing this but COUSINS ON TH|E LEFT DOES NOT WORK!!!!!!!! Got it Guy? Good lad. Don't do it again.

4. We have to sort out the left side. I do not think Fox is good enough despite his improvement this year but it is hard/harsh to berate the lad when he has absolutely no support in front of him. Allowing Bulot to depart was criminally negligent.

5. Snuff out JBG and Twat (misspelling deliberate in the circumstances) and we have no threat. When they both have bummers at the same time as they did last night we are totally pedestrian and predictable.

6. Kashi, Ba and JC is a perm any two from three scenario. I know which two I'd pick.

7. Pope may make it but I doubt it will be at this level or with us. Too much baggage already.

8. Feeling eerily reminiscent of last season. Good start, rude awakening etc. The good news is that I don't detect many signs of an unsettled camp or dissent in the ranks like last year where a number of players clearly lost the plot. Watt maybe but that is him, not us and Solly doesn't look very happy to me but I think we still have the makings of a happy camp.

9. Notwithstanding 8 above, I didn't get the feeling last night as I did on Saturday that it was all hands to the pump till the last breath despite our 3 1 6 formation at the end. It felt like the game was up from quite early on and that is a worry.

10. Despite the all round awfulness of that display, we missed four excellent chances in the second half. Had two of those in I suspect we'd be writing a different story this morning which would be papering over the cracks.

11 Anyone on this thread or on player marks awarding MOTM to anyone in a red shirt last night needs to go to specsavers.

Bah humbug.
  • Options

Or go. Quality players but we can't afford that in our team if this is true
    Need to have Keith Peacock sit them down... Think its on the Centenary DVD when he says: "When we came up to the Premier League, nobody acted like they were stars... We had a few players who knew they were stars but didnt act like it"... If we've got players like that here we could do with them taking this attitude onboard.

If anyone is an actual Star in my eyes in the team then its Alou Diarra who can say he's played in a World Cup Final